1/19/2014

Person on Internet Claims to Have Rickrolled His Physics Teacher

Filed under: General — Patterico @ 6:09 pm

I’m not going to say it happened because it’s a claim from a random person on the Internet, and I try to discipline myself not to accept such claims at face value. Even if it didn’t really happen, though, it’s kind of clever.

Getting to grips with the complicated works of a Nobel prize winning physicist can be difficult enough.

But a student’s short biography of scientist Niels Bohr has gone viral on the internet after he also managed to weave the lyrics from a Rick Astley song into the text under the nose of his professor.

Sairam Gudiseva’s boast on Twitter that he had ‘Rick Rolled my physics teacher…’, posting an accopmanying photograph of his essay with the verse from the 1987 hit ‘Never Gonna Give You Up’ written with the first word on every line.

Heh.

1. Nerd humor.

Q. Complete this sentence: May the Force be …
    A. Equal to mass times acceleration.

Comment by nk (dbc370) — 1/19/2014 @ 6:15 pm

2. I’ve got a better one for you:

(article)

“The University student at South Harmon Institute of Technology, Missouri,”

“. . . Bartleby creates a fake college, the South Harmon Institute of Technology (S.H.I.T.).”

That fine fellow spoofed the Twitterverse, the Daily Mail, and everyone who has passed that on.

Comment by Sam (9bf4c3) — 1/19/2014 @ 6:25 pm

3. if you parse out certain of these lines you can clearly see that much of this “rick rolling” is fashioned such that it bears a remarkable resemblance to a handgun…

for example:

going
    to

this is very very disturbing, even if upon lengthy investigation it proves to have only been a cry for help

Comment by happyfeet (8ce051) — 1/19/2014 @ 6:38 pm

4. It looks like the skyline of an earthquake-prone city to me.

Comment by nk (dbc370) — 1/19/2014 @ 6:42 pm

5. That kid will go far…

Comment by Gazzer (74e832) — 1/19/2014 @ 6:50 pm

6. It looks like he got rick-rolled by his writing teacher.

Comment by Leviticus (6a67b8) — 1/19/2014 @ 7:17 pm

7. .

I can see it already:

Hey, Sairam… I’m sorry to tell you this, but my assistant made a serious clerical error when calculating your grade.
    I’m dreadfully sorry to tell you this, but when we checked again, it seems you actually failed the class, you’ll have to
    take it over again next term. I’ve entered your corrected grade into the computer.

Again, my sincere apologies for the inconvenience.

Cordially,
    Professor Charles F. Xavier

LOLZ. :^D

Comment by Smock Puppet, Gadfly, Racist-Sexist Thug, and Bon Vivant All In One Package (225d0d) — 1/19/2014 @ 7:46 pm

8. Hard work is undervalued in our society, especially by students, and the need for “down-time” or relaxation is overvalued. This student would be far better off if he had taken the time he spent on manipulating his words into a rick-roll and instead spent that time on studying, researching, and writing.

Comment by DRJ (a83b8b) — 1/20/2014 @ 7:48 am

9. As Sam notes above, obviously fake (and Daily Mail is not smart). Clever, but fake.

Comment by JRM (cd0a37) — 1/20/2014 @ 8:04 am

10. That looks like an interesting acrostic.

When I first read that, I thought “Rick-Rolled” might mean to make an acrostic like that.

It turns out it means to get the words of that particular song into a link, or I guess other places.

Comment by Sammy Finkelman (4227f2) — 1/20/2014 @ 8:38 am

11. It is a lot of random quotes about Niels Bohr. I think abetter job could be done.

Most software will not let you prevent wordwrap easily.

Comment by Sammy Finkelman (4227f2) — 1/20/2014 @ 8:40 am

12. Sigh….back when I studied Physics it was all math. We never got around to the “writing reports about physicists” part.

I wonder what grade this was.

Comment by RWS (9d1bb3) — 1/20/2014 @ 9:05 am

13. It looks like maybe 7th grade, but it actually never was submitted to any class anyway. Someone just claimed that.

Comment by Sammy Finkelman (4227f2) — 1/20/2014 @ 9:11 am

14. Looks like someone had a little bit too much free time on his hands.

Comment by The amused Dana (3e4784) — 1/20/2014 @ 9:12 am

15. I have learned, now, what a “rickroll” is; I hope it does not replace something useful in my brain.
    @14: that’s how I remember it, too.

Comment by gramps, the original (64b8ca) — 1/20/2014 @ 10:55 am

16. That looks like an interesting acrostic.

Comment by Sammy Finkelman (4227f2) — 1/20/2014 @ 8:38 am

Cartoon Network Rickrolled the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade a few years back – WITH Rick Astley no less.

Comment by Jeff Weimer (bb9480) — 1/21/2014 @ 3:42 pm

17. True or not, it’s beautiful.

Comment by arik (02de93) — 1/21/2014 @ 6:57 pm

18. I saw this well over a year ago. No less clever, but I really doubt this guy who just tweeted it actually wrote it.

Comment by LYT (a22fc9) — 1/22/2014 @ 12:01 am

19. If our Wendy had a real brain
    Right now, she’d be in pain
    At just how dumb
    She has become
    She needs to find someone to blame!

Comment by The Limerick Avenger (3e4784) — 1/22/2014 @ 6:57 am