1/21/2013

The Classy Couple: Obama Tweets in Church While Michelle Sneers at Lunch

Filed under: General — Patterico @ 8:02 pm

“bo” signifies the tweet came directly from the President himself.

Bloomberg:

The president and his family arrived at St. John’s at 8:35 am EST.
The service ended at 9:39.
BO tweeted at 9:25.

Mediaite:

Following President Barack Obama’s second inaugural address, the president and Michelle Obama sat with House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) for a traditional lunch in the Capitol Building. As the president and the speaker exchanged friendly banter during the lunch, however, the first lady’s body language signaled that she was not thrilled with the subject of conversation — at one point, she gave the speaker a pronounced eye roll.

During an evidently amiable conversation between Obama and Boehner, the president tapped Michelle Obama. The first lady did not appear as thrilled with the exchange as the two principals – she forced a tight smile and allowed herself an eye roll when her face was turned.

The video:

Mediaite calls it an eye roll. I call it a sneer.

Frankly, the exchange was probably more lighthearted than the video shows, based on grinnin’ Barack’s reaction. I just have a poor reaction, I suspect, because I find these people to be so distasteful on every level.

1. I thought I was going to stay away from the news. What happened? :)

Comment by Patterico (8b3905) — 1/21/2013 @ 8:08 pm

2. the only news story i want to read about either the SCOAMF or the First Harpy is that one or both of them dropped dead from a stroke, or a heart attack or some other act of cosmic justice.

hell can’t have either one of them soon enough.

Comment by redc1c4 (403dff) — 1/21/2013 @ 8:09 pm

3. Mr. soros really scraped the bottom of the chicago trash barrel with these two

Comment by happyfeet (ce327d) — 1/21/2013 @ 8:12 pm

4. i’m thinking it was a clogged septic tank, not a trash can.

Comment by redc1c4 (403dff) — 1/21/2013 @ 8:15 pm

5. ‘You thought you were out, but they brought you back in’

Comment by narciso (3fec35) — 1/21/2013 @ 8:15 pm

6. Changed “Dinner” to “Lunch” in the headline, for accuracy and to keep Sammy Finkelman off my back.

Comment by Patterico (8b3905) — 1/21/2013 @ 8:18 pm

7. The First Lunch Lady rolls her eyes
    America gets rolled once again
    there’s some symmetry there, no?

Comment by Colonel Haiku (e643cb) — 1/21/2013 @ 8:18 pm

8. the only news story i want to read about either the SCOAMF or the First Harpy is that one or both of them dropped dead from a stroke, or a heart attack or some other act of cosmic justice.

hell can’t have either one of them soon enough.

I can’t subscribe to this.

Comment by Patterico (8b3905) — 1/21/2013 @ 8:18 pm

9. The First Lunch Lady rolls her eyes
    America gets rolled once again
    there’s some symmetry there, no?

You’re falling down on the “haiku” portion of your name.

Comment by Patterico (8b3905) — 1/21/2013 @ 8:19 pm

10. No, I want them to go away, but as we’ve seen with first Carter and Clinton, they never go away, their
    foibles never come to light, pretend virtues are constructed, and the reverse is true about the right.

Comment by narciso (3fec35) — 1/21/2013 @ 8:21 pm

11. that would be a big news story though for sure

I bet anderson cooper would even take a break from exploring all the intimate contours of the lance armstrong saga

Comment by happyfeet (ce327d) — 1/21/2013 @ 8:22 pm

12. It was the most honest moment I saw from them today.

Comment by JD (b63a52) — 1/21/2013 @ 8:23 pm

13. It was the most honest moment I saw from them today.

One (very slight) silver lining is that now that Dear Leader doesn’t have to face the prospect of reelection, there will be less incentive for the Obamas to hide their contempt for those whom they think exist outside of their liberal wealthy elite circles. I expect that in the next year or two there will be a big kerfuffle as Obama is overheard making some disparaging remark about someone he thinks is his intellectual and moral inferior.

Comment by JVW (4826a9) — 1/21/2013 @ 8:42 pm

14. JVW – his political campaign stump speech today displayed pretty clearly the contempt he has for those that have the temerity to not agree with him. Has there ever been a speech where more strawmen were torched into crispy critters? More false choices presented?

Comment by JD (b63a52) — 1/21/2013 @ 8:51 pm

15. Honest Leprechauans
    are tidy
    bowtie wise

Comment by pdbuttons (949c1e) — 1/21/2013 @ 8:52 pm

16. my dick bigger than a
    donut

Comment by pdbuttons (949c1e) — 1/21/2013 @ 8:55 pm

17. booby orr is so now

Comment by pdbuttons (949c1e) — 1/21/2013 @ 8:56 pm

18. they need a fire extinguisher, nearby.

Comment by narciso (3fec35) — 1/21/2013 @ 8:58 pm

19. tidy they are but watch but that they don’t eat their soup greedily

Comment by happyfeet (ce327d) — 1/21/2013 @ 8:58 pm

20. Was she late to the table or something? Nom, nom, nom.

Comment by WatcherOne (171f1d) — 1/21/2013 @ 9:01 pm

21. Heh. Chompy chomp.

Comment by Patterico (8b3905) — 1/21/2013 @ 9:06 pm

22. Does anyone here remember W’s second inauguration?

Was there a lot of coverage?

Did Laura have a new hairstyle? What did she wear?

Who sang the national anthem? Did we see any in-depth analysis of how Jenna and Barbara had grown before our eyes?

Did we have to listen to a lecture about how we need to come to understand that government makes things work? And if we just did what he says, it would be butterflies and unicorns. On every damn network and radio, too?

I guess we did. I don’t remember it though. It must be the senility.

Comment by Ag80 (b2c81f) — 1/21/2013 @ 9:17 pm

23. it’s creepy Mr. 80 but it’s empty creepiness like staring into Jessica Lange’s eyes and catching a fleeting glimpse of her enervated soul

Comment by happyfeet (ce327d) — 1/21/2013 @ 9:19 pm

24. Heck, if it was a roll-eyes competition, I would have beat the First Lady every time her Husband whistled an s sound.

I really wish he would get a speech therapist.

Comment by Ag80 (b2c81f) — 1/21/2013 @ 9:20 pm

25. Comment by JD (b63a52) — 1/21/2013 @ 8:51 pm

True that, JD, but Obama has always been a less-than-honest debater and commenter on the national scene. When he’s not setting up strawmen, he is consistently mis-characterizing his opponents’ arguments.

But at the end of the day he always did try to come back to the “hey, we’re all Americans who love our country, even when we disagree” pabulum, so that his amen chorus in the media would continue to give him credit for “generosity” in dealing with his political opponents. I think this is the part that he will eventually ditch. We can expect another “bitter clingers” moment to surface soon, if not from Barack then most certainly from Michelle. They simply hate everyone who is not already a complete sycophant.

Comment by JVW (4826a9) — 1/21/2013 @ 9:20 pm

26. I wonder what Boehner said. “That was a good one about us not having a spending problem, buddy!”

Probably said, “Hey, Mr. President, I bet this is the last time you get to eat a 3,000 calorie meal in front of your wife.” And then maybe followed it up with “How much of that meal came from Michelle’s cute little victory garden on the South Lawn?”

Comment by JVW (4826a9) — 1/21/2013 @ 9:24 pm

27. Train tRain
    eyeballs dry
    miss miss blacko blacky
    Siipycup

Comment by pdbuttons (949c1e) — 1/21/2013 @ 9:27 pm

28. Ham
    Bend
    First Bacon Child

Comment by pdbuttons (949c1e) — 1/21/2013 @ 9:28 pm

29. Twice
    Stuffstuuuufensebnsendeifield
    puff

Comment by pdbuttons (949c1e) — 1/21/2013 @ 9:29 pm

30. I was doing ok about two weeks after the election. But today, with the bangs and all this crap, I feel the funk returning. These people are dispicable.

Comment by PC14 (7cfd34) — 1/21/2013 @ 9:32 pm

31. if u mother fuckers assholees don’t
    stop
    me
    then ur a bunch of wankers
    just
    you disgust me
    you suck
    assholes

fum ummyo

Comment by pdbuttons (949c1e) — 1/21/2013 @ 9:33 pm

32. happy:

It’s creepier than fecal farts at a Bronie convention.

Everyone else seems to think that Chris Matthews is a sage and life will go on happy and free because the Mayan calendar was wrong and Honey Boo Boo’s uncle Alan Grayson is back in Congress, despite the fact that he’s really educated but likes to act as a fool for the proles.

I really have to stop doing this.

Comment by Ag80 (b2c81f) — 1/21/2013 @ 9:35 pm

33. Imk dispicible
    Im a fIVking IIIK titanty dude
    Suck my wqand
    Im diii spic
    able
    Butt dishwSHER TUFF

Comment by pdbuttons (949c1e) — 1/21/2013 @ 9:35 pm

34. Well no one really watches Matthew’s show, even among the Air America crowd, he does better then CNN,as for Grayson, I can’t explain it,

Comment by narciso (3fec35) — 1/21/2013 @ 9:40 pm

35. Low class.

Comment by AZ Bob (28c32d) — 1/21/2013 @ 10:02 pm

36. Mediaite calls it an eye roll. I call it a sneer.

We should be relieved she at least wasn’t seen mouthing “all this for a damn flag.”

Or saying “this is the first time in my life that I’m proud to be an American.”

Comment by Mark (e66007) — 1/21/2013 @ 10:23 pm

37. You know, I haven’t seen that kind of childish face making since …junior high? If her hand wasn’t busy holding a fork, she’d probably have done a hair flip, too.

Comment by WatcherOne (171f1d) — 1/21/2013 @ 11:01 pm

38. He picks his nose; she puts her elbows on the table, stuffs her face, and rolls her eyes.

I’ve seen better manners at a greasy spoon cafe in the deepest oil patch in Kern County.

Comment by Comanche Voter (29e1a6) — 1/22/2013 @ 7:51 am

39. Maybe we need some sort of finishing school for First Ladies. Mooch could learn how to walk, how to sit, table manners, how to dress appropriately and how to control her emotions.

Comment by Sarah (3bb644) — 1/22/2013 @ 8:49 am

40. An eye roll is a universal expression of contempt across the entire planet…
    that said, it could have been a planned reaction to something she thought not humorous, trying to make a counter-humorous gesture

all of that said, there are about 500 more consequential things to be brought up about the day, but this is what we get.

Comment by MD in Philly (3d3f72) — 1/22/2013 @ 11:46 am

41. I thought “BO” was the family dog…

Comment by mojo (8096f2) — 1/22/2013 @ 1:06 pm

42. Obama has a black and white dog named Bo, which are his initials. It’s like me naming my dog DRJ.

Comment by DRJ (a83b8b) — 1/22/2013 @ 1:15 pm

43. I used to have a blonde cocker spaniel. I should have named it DRJ.

Comment by DRJ (a83b8b) — 1/22/2013 @ 1:16 pm

44. DRJ@42

But you didn’t name your spaniel DRJ– because you are not a self-absorbed narcissist like Barack Obama.

Comment by elissa (adfeba) — 1/22/2013 @ 1:29 pm

45. I noticed that handle for the president, too. Does this mean that he is such a narcissist that he even had to name the family dog after himself?

That is too weird. There must be a better explanation.

Comment by MD in Philly (3d3f72) — 1/22/2013 @ 1:33 pm

46. He’s as classy as he is truthful.

Comment by askeptic (b8ab92) — 1/22/2013 @ 1:36 pm

47. Does this mean that he is such a narcissist that he even had to name the family dog after himself?

That is too weird. There must be a better explanation.

Comment by MD in Philly (3d3f72) — 1/22/2013 @ 1:33 pm

Occam’s Razor works for me. What a jackass.

Comment by no one of consequence, née noyk (325a59) — 1/23/2013 @ 10:28 am

48. I’m betting the explanation is even creepier.

Comment by SPQR (768505) — 1/23/2013 @ 10:30 am