2/24/2013

Oscars Open Thread

Filed under: General — Patterico @ 6:45 pm

As usual, I am sitting at the breakfast table working, while the rest of the family watches the show in the next room. But there is a difference between this year and previous years: this year, I am not proud that I’m not watching. I have become more aware how our culture affects politics and law, and while I am still annoyed by the Hollywood culture, I can’t continue to ignore the effect that it has on our electorate.

That said, I’m still here in the breakfast room, working — not because I’m too proud (this year) . . . but because I have work to do. And the memo that’s due tomorrow morning takes precedence over any desire I might have to watch television.

My children know this (it’s a common occurrence) and it’s my hope they’ll learn something from it. If I have any contribution to make to our culture, that’s probably it right there.

I can hear the show in the other room, and my family will keep me apprised. Help me keep up to speed in the comments.

UPDATE x2: Hooray, it’s . . . Michelle Obama.

1. Django Unchained won an early award, no? I have not been a real Quentin Tarantino fan since Pulp Fiction, although the WWII movie was OK. (The name eludes me at the moment.) How was this Django Unchained deal?

Comment by Patterico (9c670f) — 2/24/2013 @ 6:46 pm

2. The Life of Pi was fun. Didnt much care for the rest. Generally I see 8 Pixar or Disney animated shows to every crap movie.

Comment by JD (b63a52) — 2/24/2013 @ 6:51 pm

3. My family loved that. I had work, which I could have put off, when they saw it. But I had seen the previews which mostly looked like a tiger on the ocean and I thought: meh.

But my family really really really liked it. My son said it was the second best movie he ever saw.

Comment by Patterico (9c670f) — 2/24/2013 @ 6:53 pm

4. It hasn’t been horrible yet in the sense that most Oscar shows are horrible. The night is young.

Seth McFarland can sing. The opening bit wasn’t bad. I haven’t seen most of the movies. I mainly watch so I can talk to my daughter about it.

They are always pretty much the same.

If the non-stars go too long on their speeches, the orchestra starts playing the Jaws theme.

Right now, Catherine Zeta-Jones is lip-syncing “All That Jazz,” so horrible may be approaching.

Comment by Ag80 (b2c81f) — 2/24/2013 @ 6:57 pm

5. Oh, and I didn’t even kind of like Argo. Plus Affleck’s pubey beard sux.

Comment by JD (b63a52) — 2/24/2013 @ 7:00 pm

6. Quentin Tanantino is creepster.

That Les Mis thingie wasn’t bad. Who was that super skinny stunning brunette?

Comment by JD (b63a52) — 2/24/2013 @ 7:06 pm

7. I agree, the Les Mis thing was good. My wife saw the movie and she said it was pretty good. I don’t know why, though, that people are surprised when movie stars can sing and dance. It’s kind of their job.

Comment by Ag80 (b2c81f) — 2/24/2013 @ 7:08 pm

8. Quentin Tanantino is creepster.

I know people who have met him and actually done some work for/with him and though they generally say he is a pretty nice guy overall, the consensus is that he is extraordinarily weird and unfortunately creepy.

Comment by JVW (4826a9) — 2/24/2013 @ 7:11 pm

9. Do they nominate the same 5 movies for every category?

Comment by JD (b63a52) — 2/24/2013 @ 7:15 pm

10. JD: Yes. I think it’s similar to politics.

Comment by Ag80 (b2c81f) — 2/24/2013 @ 7:18 pm

11. UPDATE: Let’s be honest: I probably couldn’t stomach it even if I had time. These people really do annoy me.

Comment by Patterico (9c670f) — 2/24/2013 @ 7:19 pm

12. I think they annoy most thinking people.

Anne Hathaway’s dress has unfortunate darting. I only know that because my wife pointed it out.

Comment by Ag80 (b2c81f) — 2/24/2013 @ 7:25 pm

13. Right On Patterico. I saw one movie this year: Life of Pi. It was worth seeing.

Hollywood is mostly political correctness. Funny how there is NO politics in this show. Maybe they realize that Obama is nothing to write home about.

Comment by AZ Bob (c11d35) — 2/24/2013 @ 7:28 pm

14. If you are a vapid bazillionaire, shouldn’t you get your teeth fixed?

Comment by JD (b63a52) — 2/24/2013 @ 7:30 pm

15. Politics usually exit the Oscars whenever a democrat is President. No ribbons this year, either. I think that’s because Obama is making everything better, so there is no point.

Comment by Ag80 (b2c81f) — 2/24/2013 @ 7:32 pm

16. Affleck’s pubey sparse beard annoys me.

Comment by JD (b63a52) — 2/24/2013 @ 7:34 pm

17. This whole nominating the same group of 4-5 movies for every single award is driving me nuts. This group of crap was not the best at every single conceivable category. Anytime someone from outside that select club of douchebags is nominated, I root for them.

Comment by JD (b63a52) — 2/24/2013 @ 7:38 pm

18. I think it’s up to 9 now,

Comment by narciso (3fec35) — 2/24/2013 @ 7:44 pm

19. Well, Nicole Kidman just said Django allows us to get a “wicked thrill.” I think she means we can all go see a movie that says racist words because it’s Quentin Tarantino and Jamie Foxx, so it’s OK.

And it’s really starting to get boring and horrible, and OMG, that thing that is female in the movie about vampires is on, so I think I will go watch a movie.

Comment by Ag80 (b2c81f) — 2/24/2013 @ 7:48 pm

20. That Twilight chick is high.

Comment by JD (b63a52) — 2/24/2013 @ 7:49 pm

21. Memories?! Someone shoot me

Comment by JD (b63a52) — 2/24/2013 @ 8:02 pm

22. Have not watched the Academy Awards in years for reasons Patterico mentions in #11. See no reason to resume watching.

Comment by daleyrocks (bf33e9) — 2/24/2013 @ 8:07 pm

23. Clearly, a violation of the Vienna and Geneva conventions, JD,

Comment by narciso (3fec35) — 2/24/2013 @ 8:09 pm

24. Is something wrong with renee zelleweger’s eyes?

Comment by JD (b63a52) — 2/24/2013 @ 8:12 pm

25. So I’m working, I’m grading the work on the paralegal class I teach parttime.

We are doomed by the way. I can’t believe how ill prepared for college high school grads are today. Its abysmal.

Comment by SPQR (768505) — 2/24/2013 @ 8:28 pm

26. I haven’t watched since they honored Roman Polanski.

Comment by Mattsky (7c21d0) — 2/24/2013 @ 8:31 pm

27. The metro asexuals annoy me too.

OK, in #6, you got my curiosity. I love skinny brunettes. Who was she?

The drywall crew starts hanging tomorrow on one of my rehabs. I know they’ll be talking about this.

Comment by PC14 (7cfd34) — 2/24/2013 @ 8:40 pm

28. Daniel Day Lewis is far more engaging than I would have expected.

Comment by JD (b63a52) — 2/24/2013 @ 8:51 pm

29. They went their with a veiled Polanski reference,

Comment by narciso (3fec35) — 2/24/2013 @ 8:53 pm

30. OMFG

Comment by elissa (4a4ccb) — 2/24/2013 @ 8:53 pm

31. Oh f#{*+|*~##**#}%^{}% the Obamas.

Comment by JD (b63a52) — 2/24/2013 @ 8:54 pm

32. You have got to be effin kidding me.

Comment by JD (b63a52) — 2/24/2013 @ 8:55 pm

33. Hey Michelle gets to announce the winner for Best Picture. It’s the most wonderful Oscars ever.

Jesus Christ, I want to find a new America.

“Argo” if you care at this point.

Comment by Ag80 (b2c81f) — 2/24/2013 @ 8:57 pm

34. I am not sure what about that segment I found more distasteful.

Comment by JD (b63a52) — 2/24/2013 @ 9:00 pm

35. I thought Jack Nicholson did not look all that amused or happy about being the foil.

Comment by elissa (4a4ccb) — 2/24/2013 @ 9:00 pm

36. ‘Oh, frabjous joy’, then again it was an in kind contribution by State.

Comment by narciso (3fec35) — 2/24/2013 @ 9:00 pm

37. I think the staged hanging with the military folks in dress blues on 11:45 on a Sunday night props bugged me the most.

Comment by JD (b63a52) — 2/24/2013 @ 9:05 pm

38. UPDATE x2: Hooray, it’s . . . Michelle Obama.

Comment by Patterico (9c670f) — 2/24/2013 @ 9:07 pm

39. You have to wonder whose idea that was. Did the WH give them an offer the academy couldn’t refuse?

Comment by elissa (4a4ccb) — 2/24/2013 @ 9:09 pm

40. The media loves to insert them. Try watching Disney or Nick.

Comment by JD (b63a52) — 2/24/2013 @ 9:13 pm

41. Hollyweird. Another reason I cut the chord.

Comment by mg (31009b) — 2/24/2013 @ 10:20 pm

42. I didn’t see any Oscar awards broadcast.

There was a Democratic National Convention broadcast last night…

Comment by SPQR (768505) — 2/25/2013 @ 8:35 am

43. You have a separate table for breakfast? Not only is that segregationist, but it identifies you as a member of the bourgeois! Or it it the proletariat? Hell I can never remember which is which. We’ll just say “guy with two tables.”

Comment by Ben (a5650f) — 2/25/2013 @ 9:01 am

44. Rushbo makes the ironic point that FLOTUS is involved in presenting an award for a picture about saving embassy officials, perhaps in penance for husband not saving embassy officials

meanwhile, Sec. of State Kerry last week talked about “kyrzakstan” or some such
    we all know that the media would have gone nuts over that if it was Bush

Comment by MD in Philly (3d3f72) — 2/25/2013 @ 9:42 am

45. I will immediately snatch your rss as I can not to find your e-mail subscription hyperlink or e-newsletter service. Do you have any? Please let me know so that I could subscribe. Thanks.

Comment by Skuteczne Seo (72727b) — 2/26/2013 @ 1:55 pm