2/3/2013

Super Bowl Open Thread

Filed under: General — Patterico @ 10:48 am

No offense to Maryland readers, but I have come to hate your state. And I’m not a real big fan of Ray Lewis.

Go 49ers.

1. Ding.

Comment by Patterico (e19df2) — 2/3/2013 @ 10:48 am

2. I wasn’t – and still aren’t – a big fan of Lewis either.

But I was impressed that Peyton Manning thought enough of Lewis to hang around for over an hour after Denver’s loss to talk to Lewis and wish him luck in retirement. Not that I worship Manning, but it’s interesting that Manning thinks Lewis isn’t a bad guy (anymore).

Comment by steve (e7e6c7) — 2/3/2013 @ 10:51 am

3. My 11 year-old daughter is so spoiled by the success of the San Francisco teams. The Giants baseball team never made the playoffs when I was a kid, and now they’ve won two World Series in the past three seasons.

I told her about the first 49ers Super Bowl, when I was in high school, and the heroes like Montana, Rice, Lott, and Craig who dominated pro football for the entire decade. And now she gets to see the current team play in the Super Bowl again — possibly the start of a second dynasty. I’m hoping to share the joy of a Super Bowl victory with her tonight.

Comment by aunursa (db65f5) — 2/3/2013 @ 11:18 am

4. 49ers. I have a feeling it might not be close. I really like both organizations, though not the Ravens team – Ray Ray, Billick, Ryan years are tough to forget.

Comment by JD (b63a52) — 2/3/2013 @ 11:30 am

5. No bets, no SB party and mostly don’t care. I guess I’m slightly pulling for the niners mostly because several best friends of ours are rabid SF footbsll fans and they’ll be disconsolate if they lose. Additionally, Jim Harbaugh played QB for the Bears, and another recent niners coach (Singletary) played for the Bears’ superbowl team, so there’s a warmer spot in my heart for the Fortyniners than the Ravens.

Rarely watch NFL football anymore. The combo of overweening gansta thuggish culture coupled with all that’s becoming known about the deadly repetitive concussion risk and hard hit impacts on some good men has taken a lot of the joy of the sport out of it for me, at least.

Comment by elissa (ba90d0) — 2/3/2013 @ 11:58 am

6. I told her about the first 49ers Super Bowl, when I was in high school, and the heroes like Montana, Rice, Lott, and Craig who dominated pro football for the entire decade.

I see a couple of names conspicuously missing from the list of top-notch 9ers talent… Steve Young and Dwight Clark.

Go 9ers, go!

Comment by Colonel Haiku (f1519c) — 2/3/2013 @ 11:59 am

7. I’m ready for some football, I’ve got the Ravens and 4 points and although I like the 49ers best, I’m happy with my wager. The 9ers can win the game but not cover the spread and then I win too.

I’ve got a case of ice cold lager, fried chicken, spiced olives, artichoke hearts, tapenade, chips-n-dip, sliced ham, and a honeydew melon, and I’m thinking about ordering pizza.

The game can’t start soon enough.

Comment by ropelight (50554b) — 2/3/2013 @ 12:11 pm

8. With that spread (looks yummy by the way), are you keeping a home blood pressure monitor and defibrillator handy, too, rope? Let’s be careful out there.

Comment by elissa (ba90d0) — 2/3/2013 @ 12:17 pm

9. I think SF wins. I think Kaepernick may have some early butterflies but will get better as the game goes on.

Comment by Gerald A (f26857) — 2/3/2013 @ 12:28 pm

10. Comment by Colonel Haiku (f1519c) — 2/3/2013 @ 11:59 am

Yes, she’s listened to me recount the accomplishments of Steve Young and Dwight Clark as well.

Comment by aunursa (f2bce6) — 2/3/2013 @ 12:31 pm

11. elissa, I’m on top of it. I check my blood sugar every day (I’m running between 95 and 115) and with my daily meds my BP stays in the normal range (and yes, I have a home monitor). I get a professional blood and liver function test every 3 months.

Although I don’t have a defibrillator, I don’t need one, I go easy on the hard stuff, my heart is strong, my arteries are clear and flexible, I don’t have a cholesterol problem, my liver functions are within limits, and overall I’m in robust good health even though I’m not half the man I once was.

So, a little modest excess on Superbowl Sunday won’t hurt me and the day after tomorrow I’ll be back on my bicycle and eating sensibly.

Now, if only I could lose a few pounds…

Comment by ropelight (50554b) — 2/3/2013 @ 12:39 pm

12. During the Age of Obama, we should do away with the merit of “allowing” the teams that win their respective conference championships to play in the Super Bowl.

Rather, we should spread the wealth, and enable teams that either never won the Super Bowl or never played in the Super Bowl, to play for all the marbles.
    San Francisco has won 5 Super Bowls. They don’t need a sixth. Baltimore won 12 years ago. They should give up their spot to some other less successful team.
    It should be Jacksonville Jaguars VS Houston Texans or Cleveland Browns.

C’mon liberals, stand up for “the little guy” on this one.

Comment by Elephant Stone (243f21) — 2/3/2013 @ 1:03 pm

13. ropelight, after all of these years of knowing each other, you still didn’t invite me…

Comment by MD in Philly (3d3f72) — 2/3/2013 @ 1:32 pm

14. being the resident village idiot here – I’m heartned that I’m not the last on the moron food chain – I humbly submit the entire marketing team for dorritos who just paid 4 million to tell the worl that goats are crapping out dorritos

Comment by EPWJ (016f5f) — 2/3/2013 @ 3:48 pm

15. sorry nabisco, just out did dorritos

Comment by EPWJ (016f5f) — 2/3/2013 @ 3:59 pm

16. Don’t sell yourself short.

Comment by JD (b63a52) — 2/3/2013 @ 4:04 pm

17. :)

Comment by EPWJ (016f5f) — 2/3/2013 @ 4:06 pm

18. I really liked the Audi Bravery commercial, though I cannot figure what is brave about building expensive cars.

Comment by JD (b63a52) — 2/3/2013 @ 4:07 pm

19. Vernon Davis is awesome. That was a great throw too.

Comment by JD (b63a52) — 2/3/2013 @ 4:10 pm

20. Fumble!!!!!!

Comment by JD (b63a52) — 2/3/2013 @ 4:15 pm

21. Can’t watch it but what I’m hearing sounds bad.

Comment by Patterico (d63e9f) — 2/3/2013 @ 4:59 pm

22. 9ers have to forget the gay offense and go back to the strategy that put them in the Super Bowl.

Comment by Colonel Haiku (231627) — 2/3/2013 @ 5:00 pm

23. 49ers need to open up the aggressive play book on offense, and their D line needs to wake up

Comment by JD (b63a52) — 2/3/2013 @ 5:19 pm

24. A Power Failure?
    Where’s Ray Nagin?
    Is Shep reporting murders and rapes inside the Super Dome?

Comment by askeptic (2bb434) — 2/3/2013 @ 5:56 pm

25. It even comes to this;

Wow. RT @MikeGrunwald: Uh oh. @entergy got a $9M #stimulus grant for #smartgrid in New Orleans. Guess they didn’t get to the Superdome.

Comment by narciso (3fec35) — 2/3/2013 @ 6:07 pm

26. Did any Katrina victims get eaten during the power outage?

Comment by JD (b63a52) — 2/3/2013 @ 6:09 pm

27. This would have never happened in Indianapolis.

Comment by JD (b63a52) — 2/3/2013 @ 6:10 pm

28. George Bush, or Cheney, did it.

Comment by Rodney King's Spirit (951136) — 2/3/2013 @ 6:11 pm

29. Game on

Comment by JD (b63a52) — 2/3/2013 @ 6:32 pm

30. who did the metrosexual beer would sell to football fans study?

Comment by EPWJ (016f5f) — 2/3/2013 @ 6:36 pm

31. Dennis ‘Cutty’ Wise: “The game done changed…”

Comment by Colonel Haiku (888eee) — 2/3/2013 @ 7:06 pm

32. Are those the replacement officials?

Comment by mg (31009b) — 2/3/2013 @ 7:38 pm

33. Save a little of your bestest hate for Islamic clerics:

I don’t think ‘Holy’ means whatever they think it might.

Comment by gary gulrud (dd7d4e) — 2/3/2013 @ 8:08 pm

34. mg – they sure did miss a couple big calls.

Comment by JD (b63a52) — 2/3/2013 @ 8:15 pm

35. JD – I had nothing on the game, and was dumbfounded by the no calls.

Comment by mg (31009b) — 2/3/2013 @ 8:56 pm

36. Amen

Comment by JD (b63a52) — 2/3/2013 @ 9:04 pm

37. Fiasco, the whole NFL is a f’ing fiasco.

Comment by SPQR (768505) — 2/3/2013 @ 9:55 pm

38. A fish rots from the head!

Comment by askeptic (2bb434) — 2/3/2013 @ 11:20 pm

39. After being outplayed for most of the game, the power outage gave the 49ers a chance to regroup they didn’t deserve. To their credit, they rallied and played well, well enough to have an opportunity to win the game.

But, poor play selection, squandered time outs, and piss poor clock management cost them a golden opportunity that may not come again anytime soon.

Yeah, there were some bad no-calls, but the 49er coaching staff let the team down, they just weren’t prepared to make the right decisions when it counted most.

Comment by ropelight (67442e) — 2/4/2013 @ 6:46 am

40. Game was stolen. Heist of epic proportions.

Comment by NJRob (7019c0) — 2/4/2013 @ 7:36 am

41. Did going green have something to do with the outage?

Comment by DRJ (a83b8b) — 2/4/2013 @ 7:41 am

42. DRJ – why do you hate science?

;-)

Comment by JD (8fc815) — 2/4/2013 @ 7:47 am

43. The LA Times even speculated it could be Beyonce’s fault but the local energy department blames “improperly maintained equipment” in the renovated SuperDome.

Comment by DRJ (a83b8b) — 2/4/2013 @ 7:50 am

44. This outage at the dome may or may not have been the fault of green technology. But there have been plenty of other smaller, not widely publicized outages that definitely were related to often unreliable “green”.

With the whole world watching, such an epic failure should embarrass all Americans. But on the upside it can’t be easily ignored or papered over this time, so maybe the Superbowl power loss will at least get a few more people talking about broader energy issues and the danger of putting all our eggs in one green basket.

Comment by elissa (bf0e12) — 2/4/2013 @ 8:01 am