9/29/2012

CARMAGEDDON TWO!!!!!!

Filed under: General — Patterico @ 3:40 pm

The sequel.

How’s it looking out there?

1. Looking great. I am a few days from finishing a huge DIY renovation just in time for elk season. Obama will drop five points after the Secret Service pisses off the entire Denver metro area population by closing the main commuter freeway for five hours during Wednesday’ rush hour. F’ing brilliant.

Comment by SPQR (c213b7) — 9/29/2012 @ 3:45 pm

2. So are you equipped with twin .50s and Hellfire missiles? What about radar and night-vision?

Comment by nk (875f57) — 9/29/2012 @ 3:46 pm

3. I meant for Carmageddon, not elk.

Comment by nk (875f57) — 9/29/2012 @ 3:47 pm

4. Someone once brought a .50 Browning rifle to an elk guide I know. Wow, did that put a bull elk down DRT …

Comment by SPQR (c213b7) — 9/29/2012 @ 3:49 pm

5. Paging Rico:

Univision expose tomorrow nite, be there or be square.

Comment by gary gulrud (dd7d4e) — 9/29/2012 @ 4:13 pm

6. The gloves are off:

Count some Liberals among the counter insurgency.

Comment by gary gulrud (dd7d4e) — 9/29/2012 @ 4:16 pm

7. Lots of Elk just NE of Elko, Nevada, big healthy beasts, who come down from the high country at the first fall snows along with the biggest mule deer with the biggest horns I’ve ever seen.

But the most impressive Elk, Roosevelt Elk, are on Santa Cruz Island off the Santa Barbara coast, they’re in a class by themselves.

Comment by ropelight (040655) — 9/29/2012 @ 4:22 pm

8. They’ve lost KP.

Comment by gary gulrud (dd7d4e) — 9/29/2012 @ 4:24 pm

Comment by SPQR (26be8b) — 9/29/2012 @ 4:25 pm

10. 9. When did they put Roosevelt elk on Santa Cruz? The Channel Islands Nat’l Park is one of the silliest of Nat’l Parks.

Comment by SPQR — 9/29/2012 @ 4:25 pm

I think he meant Santa Rosa island.

I guess if you want an island hunt for Roosevelt elk your best bets now are Alaska’s Afognak and Raspberry islands.

Comment by Steve57 (c8ac21) — 9/29/2012 @ 4:35 pm

11. The feral sheep on Santa Cruz were a fiasco. They are considered not “native” but they’d actually been there for two or three centuries as the Spanish had dumped some on the island to provide provisions for passing ships.

Comment by SPQR (26be8b) — 9/29/2012 @ 4:43 pm

12. 11. The whole idea of “returning” the Channel Islands to some sort of previous “pristine” state was ludicrous.

Comment by SPQR — 9/29/2012 @ 4:43 pm

True.

But then, given the economic havoc they’ve wreaked on the state, the left wing visigoths and their enviro-nazi sidekicks may have better and quicker luck returning the rest of Kali to its stone-age past.

Comment by Steve57 (c8ac21) — 9/29/2012 @ 4:48 pm

13. Meanwhile, Operation Fast & Furious is coming back into the news as Univision runs a report this weekend highlighting the many deaths attributable to the administration’s intentional operation to salt smuggled guns into Mexico to bolster their lies and gain support for a gun control agenda.

Comment by SPQR (26be8b) — 9/29/2012 @ 5:16 pm

14. People around here never go to the Valley anyway.

Comment by Kevin M (bf8ad7) — 9/29/2012 @ 5:39 pm

15. Watch it here

Comment by Kevin M (bf8ad7) — 9/29/2012 @ 8:17 pm

16. I drove from Ventura to Pasadena (required) and it was a breeze. I left Oxnard around 4pm. Ground zero was a bit slow approaching from the west, but only for appx. a mile and a half, before Haskell. Folks approaching from the east didn’t even slow down that long. Traffic was worse on the 210.

Honestly, the slowing on the 101 just before the 405 seemed to be only for reading the CalTrans signs. PREPARE TO STOP. SERIOUS DELAYS.

Yay LA!! Gawd, we can be so well behaved!

Comment by holycrapola (6b5c50) — 9/29/2012 @ 9:19 pm

17. I’m so happy not to have to use the Ventura Freeway any longer. I spent four decades living never more than 15 minutes drive from the 101 (and a couple living within CHP P.A. range of it …) and don’t miss a second of it.

Comment by SPQR (26be8b) — 9/29/2012 @ 9:23 pm

18. Should have read the comments before posting, I guess. I have no idea what anyone’s talking about. I seemed to have missed the innuendo.

KevinM, I have been watching several links, and I checked sigalert before leaving. All is well. I may have a temp job in Hermosa tomorrow, so hope it continues to go well.

Hope my fellow Angelenos have fared as well.

Comment by holycrapola (6b5c50) — 9/29/2012 @ 9:25 pm

19. There was a science fiction story about highways being battlefields. Specifically, a mild nebish on his way home who got a little bit angry, turned on his car’s armaments, and wiped out a highway bully. I cannot remember the title of the story or the author.

Comment by nk (875f57) — 9/29/2012 @ 9:34 pm

20. There was a science fiction story about highways being battlefields. Specifically, a mild nebish on his way home who got a little bit angry, turned on his car’s armaments, and wiped out a highway bully. I cannot remember the title of the story or the author.

Harlan Ellison, “Along the Scenic Route”

Comment by Kevin M (bf8ad7) — 9/30/2012 @ 8:05 am

21. Thank you, Kevin. How could I have forgotten Harlan Ellison? I am getting old. I have no mouth but I must scream.

Comment by nk (875f57) — 9/30/2012 @ 8:16 am

22. Apparently LA drivers take orders well. Who knew?

Comment by DRJ (a83b8b) — 9/30/2012 @ 9:54 am

23. holycrapola,

Glad you posted. I think the comments veered off-topic, as they sometimes do.

Kevin & nk,

I’m not a big sci-fi person but I know Ellison from his Star Trek episode, The City of the Edge of Forever. (I’m not sure Ellison has the same affection for Star Trek that I have.) He’s very innovative but, overall, a little too pessimistic for me.

Comment by DRJ (a83b8b) — 9/30/2012 @ 10:03 am

24. I just figured out what this was about.

Looks just fine from here.

Looking at how cars are getting more advanced with the ability to parallel park on their own and warn of front impact and automatically brake, it will not be long before all car transportation is controlled by computer. I forget just which book, but I think it was 1984 where the cars were rigged to have a top speed and the flow of traffic and everything was controlled.

Comment by MD in Philly (3d3f72) — 9/30/2012 @ 10:55 am

25. Isaac Asimov – “Sally”

Comment by Captain Ned (60bf84) — 9/30/2012 @ 11:25 am

26. Pessimistic is putting it kindly, DRJ. I saw him as a horror writer. But, dang … can brilliant and dark be said in the same breath?

Comment by nk (875f57) — 9/30/2012 @ 11:26 am

27. Ellison is a rage artist. He’s convinced that Sturgeon’s Law is optimistic. I always thought his old “Glass Teat” TV reviews in the old Freep were pretty revealing.

Comment by Kevin M (bf8ad7) — 9/30/2012 @ 1:16 pm

28. I think the comments veered off-topic, as they sometimes do

Patterico knows how to start jabber discussion and I’m pretty sure he does it on purpose, DRJ.

I had to ask my daughter what Carmageddon was. She said, “I know Armageddon”, then we both Google it.

Comment by nk (875f57) — 9/30/2012 @ 6:37 pm