[Guest post by DRJ]
As I get older, one of the worst things about a new year is facing the same old New Year’s resolutions that I failed at before, such as “I will eat healthier food/exercise more” or “I will spend more time with my family and work less” (or vice versa, as the case may be). However, one of the best things about the new year is the fun of New Year’s predictions, especially now that we can share predictions on the internet.
Consul-At-Arms has posted what I think are this year’s best predictions. Here are his first 10 (of 20) predictions:
“1. Fidel Castro will continue his quest to outlive every U.S. president ever elected.
2. Hollywood and network television will step up their recycling of old themes, fads, and scripts, moving into the re-hashing of the early 1990s.
3. Someone in Hollywood will be bold enough to make a modern war movie (Iraq, Afghanistan or some other aspect of the GWOT) that actually makes the U.S. seem like the good guys and not victims. It will be wildly successful.
4. An illegal alien with a prior arrest/deportation record will kill an American family and/or children in a drunk driving incident.
5. Paris (the socialebrity, not either of the cities) or Brittany or some other papparazzi-magnet will do something pointless that gets a lot of press.
6. William Shatner will win critical acclaim for a dramatic portrayal.
7. The Chinese government will do something incredibly boneheaded in connection with their preparations for hosting the Olympics.
8. The U.S. fighting soldiers, marines, sailors, and airmen will continue their valiant and underappreciated service to this country. Politicians will undercut their efforts.
9. Some perfectly awful musicians will make a great pile of money for performing some utter crap.
10. Putin will remain in control of the Soviet Uni. . . . , er, Russia.”
Check out the next 10 (here’s the link again) and add your own predictions here … or there.