5/7/2008

Is That a Growing Consensus, Or Are You Just Unhappy to See Me Still in the Race?

Filed under: 2008 Election,Dog Trainer — Patterico @ 9:23 pm

An article in the L.A. Times has this amusing lede:

Hillary Rodham Clinton may be short on delegates, money and time, but she faced an even more ominous and intractable impediment Wednesday: a growing consensus in the media that her bid for the Democratic presidential nomination is doomed.

Wow. A “growing consensus in the media.”

Wow.

You can’t fight City Hall, and you sure can’t fight a “growing consensus in the media.”

Except when that growing consensus is wrong, of course. Which happens an awful lot.

1. Amusing little Freudian slip by the echo chamber denizens.

Comment by SPQR (26be8b) — 5/7/2008 @ 9:26 pm

2. With the growing consensus, does that mean the media can now “officially” root for Obama instead of continuing to (cough, cough) claim to be neutral?

Comment by daleyrocks (906622) — 5/7/2008 @ 10:00 pm

3. Aye, but in this case it’s not wrong.

Comment by aphrael (db0b5a) — 5/7/2008 @ 10:03 pm

4. Of course, I wonder if Hillary has heard about this “growing consensus.” I am pretty sure, based on her actions from last night/this morning that she has not. Someone should tell her. After all, as Dudley Do-Right said, “If it is printed in the newspaper, it MUST be true!”

Comment by David J Harr (b77e07) — 5/7/2008 @ 10:23 pm

5. Hillary can easily render the media’s decision as irrelevant by fighting hard these next few weeks. Obama himself called Indiana the tie-breaker. Hillary has increased her momentum, even if Obama won by 12 in NC, because Obama should have won by 20 in NC.

A couple of weeks of Hillary campaigning and the medica consensus will be forced to revert back to ‘can she meet expectations’,

It goes without saying that Hillary has lost the nomination, but that’s been the case for a long time.

Comment by Jem (4cdfb7) — 5/7/2008 @ 10:37 pm

6. Conservatives are all cowards, you won’t even let me post on your dumb websites.

Comment by Levi (76ef55) — 5/8/2008 @ 4:19 am

7. I need a refill on my bucket of cocoanut oil popped, buttered popcorn.

As Billy “Crash” Craddock sang, “Rub it in! Rub it in!”

Comment by PCD (5c49b0) — 5/8/2008 @ 5:00 am

8. Why do we bother to vote? The media can decide for us. A lot more talking heads here.

Comment by nk (1e7806) — 5/8/2008 @ 5:29 am

9. Conservatives are all cowards, you won’t even let me post on your dumb websites.

Posted on a Conservative website. Levi is dummerer than a 2×4.

Comment by JD (75f5c3) — 5/8/2008 @ 6:15 am

10. JD,

Levi is a spoiled child who “knows everything” and is determined to force his opinion on the world. Everyone else is as dumb as we are informing the baby Levi that he is.

I think Levi needs serious timeout with his binky.

Comment by PCD (5c49b0) — 5/8/2008 @ 6:25 am

11. The mainstream media may be losing readers and viewers, revenue, equity value and their jobs, but they face an even more ominous and intractable impediment today: a growing consensus in the public that their bid to dominate our national conversation is doomed.

Comment by JonSK (7cbc40) — 5/8/2008 @ 7:27 am

12. Oh give widdle Weeeeevi credit. He actually managed to type an entire sentence without using the word “fuck” to make one of his lame points.

Comment by Jack Klompus (cf3660) — 5/8/2008 @ 7:48 am

13. A growing media consensus…with a rapidly shrinking subscriber base.

Echo chamber, indeed.

Comment by Patricia (f56a97) — 5/8/2008 @ 7:51 am

14. The so-called mainstream media is like a pathetic pack of wolves, inwhich the entire clan follows the alpha no matter what. It has been WRONG many times in the past and will be wrong many more times in the future. I am by no means a Hillary fan, but I say ignore the pack of wolves and keep fighting.

Comment by M. Levinston (c2e867) — 5/8/2008 @ 8:09 am

15. Here’s the catch: If Hillary’s supporters believe the “growing concensus” it will be a self fulfilling prophecy.

Up to now, the one thing keeping her in the race has been the fact that her supporters have believed in her enough to give her just enough money to compete in the next round of primaries. If half her supporters decide she can’t win, she suddennly won’t have enough money to compete effectively in Oregon and Kentucky, which will convince more supporters she can’t win, which will doom her in the remaining three contests.

Comment by Sean P (e57269) — 5/8/2008 @ 8:20 am

16. That quote is a beautiful capsule summary of MSM arrogance and delusion. Deep down they think they are the true leaders of this nation.

Comment by Steven Den Beste (99cfa1) — 5/8/2008 @ 8:29 am

17. And, the conservative side of the blogosphere is fragging the Hell out of them; and they have no idea why.

Comment by Another Drew (f9dd2c) — 5/8/2008 @ 8:42 am

18. I watched BHO’s Indiana speech on CSPAN Monday night. Things I remember hs said: his campaign is new/different from the old politics, which is why his candidacy is resisted; what’s good for corporations is bad for ordinary Americans; oil companies are particularly suspect; excess profits must be taxed; tax cuts benefit the rich; end the war (Iraq I presume.)

None of this stuff appeals to me. I get that he is young, an appealing orator, must be intelligent to have earned his degrees, would definitely be a change from the current admin. If he was a small-government, foreign-policy hawk, spending-cutter, I’d love to vote for him, but his policy proposals are just the opposite of what I’m looking for. Pretty sure I’m in the electoral minority this year.

Comment by gp (72be5d) — 5/8/2008 @ 8:56 am

19. gp – pretty sure that makes you a racist.

Comment by JD (5f0e11) — 5/8/2008 @ 9:08 am

20. Posted on a Conservative website. Levi is dummerer than a 2×4.

Something is preventing me from posting here. I’m still trying, every day, a few times, to talk to you people, but again, something is preventing me from being able to do so.

I think Levi needs serious timeout with his binky.

I’ve never said I know everything, but I do know more than you.

It would be nice if I could try to convince you of that but again, something is keeping me from posting.

DOGFOOD

Comment by BAT Levi (76ef55) — 5/8/2008 @ 9:09 am

21. I would love to see Hillary come out for her next speech or set of speeches with a big newspaper in hand that reads, “Dewey Defeats Truman”.

Comment by luagha (5cbe06) — 5/8/2008 @ 9:43 am

22. JD – I condemn you. You are a racist, nativist, misogynist, homophobic, carbon spewing, jingoistic, redneck, steak eater.

Comment by daleyrocks (906622) — 5/8/2008 @ 9:44 am

23. Oh, have a nice day, JD.

Kyoto

Comment by daleyrocks (906622) — 5/8/2008 @ 9:46 am

24. You have brightened my day, daleyrocks.

Comment by JD (5f0e11) — 5/8/2008 @ 10:09 am

25. JD – I’m a giver.

Comment by daleyrocks (906622) — 5/8/2008 @ 10:16 am

26. Daleyrocks the merciful.

Comment by love2008 (d2a57f) — 5/8/2008 @ 11:00 am

27. daleyrocks, JD,

triple racist.

Comment by SPQR (26be8b) — 5/8/2008 @ 11:31 am

28. Daleyrocks,

You got a Texas grown, New York Strip steak for me, too?

MMMmmm, Grill, charcoal, A-1 Steak Sauce, grill-baked Idaho potatoes, Wisconsin churned butter, aaahhhhhh! I can see it now! My smiling face…

Comment by PCD (5c49b0) — 5/8/2008 @ 11:34 am

29. Super-duper racists with an attitude!

Comment by love2008 (d2a57f) — 5/8/2008 @ 11:46 am

30. 28, don’t forget, love2008, we have guns, too!

Comment by PCD (5c49b0) — 5/8/2008 @ 11:52 am

31. http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2008/05/gops-dui-lawmak.html

GOP’s DUI lawmaker admits to fathering love child

LAT headline, note the prominent mention of the political party.

Comment by Hazy (c36902) — 5/8/2008 @ 12:13 pm

32. #29
    LOL.

Comment by love2008 (d2a57f) — 5/8/2008 @ 12:25 pm

33. The whole problem could be fixed by implementing a consensus trading scheme that mandates hard-and-fast caps on such emissions.

Comment by ras (fc54bb) — 5/8/2008 @ 12:29 pm

34. Levi #20,

I have that problem too, sometimes. Do you get “page could not be found” when you try to post? It might be Patterico’s ISP but it’s more likely yours. It’s too busy to make the internet connection before Patterico’s server times out and your comment goes to comment nirvana. I suggest you copy your comment and then paste and re-attempt.

Comment by nk (1e7806) — 5/8/2008 @ 2:25 pm

35. Personally, I blame George Bush when that happens.

Comment by Sean P (e57269) — 5/8/2008 @ 3:20 pm

36. I double dog demn you, daleyrocks. (I learned all about demn from Rev. Wright.)

Scariest part of BHO’s speech: he wants to “perfect” the United States. That’s the view of the left–they will love this country only if and when it is “perfected.”

Which will be never.

As conservatives know, human nature will never reach that nadir here on Earth.

Comment by Patricia (aaa977) — 5/8/2008 @ 3:20 pm

37. #36
    Yeah, daleyrocks invented AIDs to wipe out all bloggers. Triple racist!

Comment by love2008 (d2a57f) — 5/8/2008 @ 3:55 pm

38. No, no, love2008. I did triple racist, and you did super duper racist, you can’t now do triple racist again.

Comment by SPQR (26be8b) — 5/8/2008 @ 4:10 pm

39. #38
    Ok-ok, Super sized, triple “bitter”, gun clinging, bible thumping, racist! With an attitude.

Comment by love2008 (d2a57f) — 5/8/2008 @ 4:23 pm

40. how about this:

daleyrocks is a Republican! (beat that)

Comment by Verlin Martin (f359ef) — 5/8/2008 @ 4:27 pm

41. But is he arrogant enough to be a Rockefeller Republican?

Comment by Another Drew (f9dd2c) — 5/8/2008 @ 4:30 pm

42. “gp – pretty sure that makes you a racist.”

I can’t help it :(
    I’m trapped by my genetic memory, the shame of the historical cruelty of my people, my membership in the overclass, and my racial authenticity.
    I’m … a victim!

Comment by gp (ea00c9) — 5/8/2008 @ 4:53 pm

43. #41
    You mean like, john mccain?

Comment by love2008 (d2a57f) — 5/8/2008 @ 5:03 pm

44. so what else is new? the media pretends to be neutral and advocates for its’ rights while all the time trying to coerce Hillary to give in when clearly she has a fighting chance? What are you OBAMA supporters so afraid of? If you are really sure about your victory why can’t you let her finish her fight? That is what everyone deserves….even women of this generation !

Comment by gladys (2b6086) — 5/8/2008 @ 9:02 pm

45. gladys, that’s right, play the gender card. Hillary is a quota filler, not for any other reason that she needs to be SELECTED for office.

Comment by PCD (5c49b0) — 5/9/2008 @ 5:13 am

46. A consensus is An opinion or position reached by a group as a whole; if it’s “growing,” meaning more people are coming to the same conclusion, but still has room to increase, it isn’t a consensus.

Professional editors, such as those supposedly employed by The Los Angeles Times, would have corrected that before it was ever printed.

Comment by Dana R Pico (3e4784) — 5/9/2008 @ 7:32 am