8/31/2019

Next Up: Fox Business Host Lying About Trump Lying

Filed under: Uncategorized — Dana @ 10:55 am

[guest post by Dana]

Earlier this week I wrote about Trump 2020 campaign spokesperson Kayleigh McEnany lying about Trump lying. On the heels of McEnany’s comments, and clearly evidencing that he didn’t get the memo that Fox News doesn’t work for Trump, the network’s business host, Stuart Varney, humiliated himself on air when he too denied that Trump lies. Peak irony: he was called out on his lie by lying Joe Walsh:

During a heated interview with Republican presidential candidate Joe Walsh, Fox Business host Stuart Varney said he does not believe President Trump has lied to the country.

The former GOP congressman told Varney on Friday that Trump “lies virtually every time he opens his mouth,” prompting Varney to ask Walsh to give him an example.

“I will give you an example just from yesterday and even his staff, Stuart, admitted that he lied this week when he said there were high-level phone calls between the United States and China. Trump said that repeatedly. His staff came out yesterday and admittedly, admitted that the president of the United States lied to the world to manipulate the markets. I have a problem with that,” Walsh said.

“That’s not a lie. Let’s not get technical,” Varney replied. “If the man said, and he did, that high-level talks had been held with China, that is not a lie. They were held with China.”

“Stuart, he said there were high-level phone calls with Chinese officials. His staff admitted that was not true, that he lied in order to manipulate the market,” Walsh said.

Walsh then asked Varney if he believes Trump has ever lied.

“He exaggerates and spins,” he replied.

“Okay. Do you believe he’s ever told the American people a lie?” Walsh asked, to which Varney gave a curt “No.”

Varney then turned the tables on Walsh at the end of their conversation (not seen in the video), and asked Walsh whether he lied when he claimed that President Obama was a Muslim. Walsh was forced to admit that it was a lie, and added that he’s apologized for it.

Not seeing a lot of daylight between Trump and Walsh, two peas in a pod. All of which makes me wonder why Republicans would look to Walsh as their savior in 2020, because if you loathe and revile one lying bigot, why would you promote another lying bigot?

(Cross-posted at The Jury Talks Back.)

–Dana

6 Comments »

1. Love the site and the contributors, but things are starting to sound like a broken record around here. By all means point out Trumps mistakes, but there is more to the news than Trump saying/tweeting stupid or misleading things, especially when the other side is just as bad in their own lies and misrepresentations–which isn’t getting as much, if any, coverage here.

Comment by Sean — 8/31/2019 @ 12:07 pm

2. Find somewhere you like better then.

Comment by Patterico — 8/31/2019 @ 2:17 pm

3. This side of the site in particular is not for people to bitch about what they don’t like about my blog.

Comment by Patterico — 8/31/2019 @ 2:18 pm

4. One thing that I think would be spectacular would be not to have a president who is a jackass. That way we could stop writing about the fact that our president is a jackass.

By the way:

That is not my view. Nobody knows lying like Donald Trump. Nobody.

Comment by Patterico — 9/1/2019 @ 8:50 am

5. Love the site and the contributors, but things are starting to sound like a broken record around here. By all means point out Trumps mistakes, but there is more to the news than Trump saying/tweeting stupid or misleading things, especially when the other side is just as bad in their own lies and misrepresentations–which isn’t getting as much, if any, coverage here.

Donald Trump is the President of the United States. Therefore, anything he says or does is important, no matter how foolish it might be. That’s just part of the deal.

I agree: I sound like a broken record posting about him so much, but the most powerful man in the world just keeps on giving us so much to work with. Perhaps the focus of your aggravation should be him instead of me. My view of the presidency, and pols in general is that we should rarely ever hear from them because they are too busy working hard for the best interests of our nation. So busy that they don’t even have time to be railing about FakeNews, WitchHunts, or getting caught in an endless string of lies while prodding the media to do their bidding.

Also, in the past 10 days or or so, I’ve posted at least 8 or 9 other posts that were not directly about President Trump because, as you said, there are other things going on in the world. I notice, however, that you did not comment on any of those. I try to post what interests me, and what is current, whether it be politics, culture, or ethical/moral issues. I hope you continue to comment, Sean, as you offer some good commentary.

Comment by Dana — 9/1/2019 @ 10:34 am

6. Also, in the past 10 days or or so, I’ve posted at least 8 or 9 other posts that were not directly about President Trump because, as you said, there are other things going on in the world. I notice, however, that you did not comment on any of those.

That seems very telling.

Regardless, the comment was out of line for this site. The rules for this site are very clear. Bitching about the content violates them.

Comment by Patterico — 9/3/2019 @ 7:17 am