8/14/2018

Would Trump Survive a Tape Saying He Said the N-Word?

Filed under: Uncategorized — Patterico @ 7:53 am

Why not? His survival abilities go beyond “cockroach level” to “Keith Richards level.” Trump will be the guy standing around smirking after Armageddon while Keith Richards lies dying of radiation poisoning.

Anyway. The fact that Omarosa said it means nothing. The fact that Katrina Pierson seems to acknowledge, on tape, that Trump admitted he said it? That’s…not nothing.

“I’m trying to find out at least what context it was used in, to help us maybe try to figure out a way to spin it,” a woman, identified as Pierson by Manigault Newman, said on the tape.

“I said, ‘Well, sir, can you think of any time this might have happened?’ and he said ‘No,'” Patton said, according to the tape, to which Manigault Newman replied, “Well, that’s not true.”

“He goes, ‘How do you think I should handle it?’ and I told him exactly what you just said, Omarosa,” Patton continued, “which is ‘Well, it depends on what scenario you’re talking about.’ And he said, ‘Well, why don’t you just go ahead and put it to bed.'”

“He said it,” Pierson interjected. “No, he said it. He’s embar[r]assed.”

Who, exactly, is it going to offend? His most strident base? Pardon me while I emit a mordant chuckle. Ha. OK, I’m done.

I begged him to go with the radio edit. Begged him.

By the way, I finished Jonah Goldberg’s Suicide of the West. In the interim I also read Darkness Visible: A Memoir of Madness by William Styron (a short book), Free Will, by Sam Harris (a very short book and, unfortunately, not particularly recommended), and have begun How to Change Your Mind, by Michael Pollan. (Weird topic for the last one, but listen to Pollan’s EconTalk interview with Russ Roberts.) In my last roundup of books I have recently read or am reading, I forgot to add Command and Control: Nuclear Weapons, the Damascus Accident, and the Illusion of Safety, by Eric Schlosser, a monumental history of America’s nuclear program and its vulnerability to accident and human error.

Given how absurd our politics is, reading books makes more and more sense these days. I’ll probably start rolling out some reviews in the next few days, because I’m pretty much disgusted with everything else.

16 Comments »

1. This won’t matter to the Trumpified GOP but it might irritate Independents and mobilize a few Democrats. The racists will love it.

Pierson seemed to acknowledge Trump said it and now she denies he said it. It’s becoming clear what it takes to work for Trump.

Comment by DRJ — 8/14/2018 @ 8:45 am

2. If you want to work for Trump, you also have to remind him about world time zones.

Comment by DRJ — 8/14/2018 @ 8:47 am

3. Apparently the Trump team’s current damage-control effort is to claim Omarosa is obsessed with whether Trump said the N-word. That’s a puzzler. Why might the only high-profile black member of the Trump campaign/White House care about that?

Comment by DRJ — 8/14/2018 @ 8:56 am

4. Two-faced Trump: It’s totally unfair to suggest Trump’s father was racist because he was arrested at a Klan rally, even though the rally and his name/arrest was reported in the newspaper, because his father was never charged with a crime. But it’s completely fair to say Cruz’s father was involved with Lee Harvey Oswald based on a blurry photo in a tabloid.

Comment by DRJ — 8/14/2018 @ 9:06 am

5. The Democrats support or refuse to criticize everything Republicans always claimed they believed in but they (at one time) denied — abortion, free sex, SSM, affirmative action/reparations, socialism. Why shouldn’t the GOP own up to its imperfections?

Comment by DRJ — 8/14/2018 @ 10:54 am

6. I find myself venting more so we must be equally concerned about things. I look forward to your reviews to put my focus on something else.

Comment by DRJ — 8/14/2018 @ 4:42 pm

7. I really couldn’t care less if Trump muttered the N-word.

I used to think differently, until I kept hearing it being used with no repercussions or condemnation. Now, I don’t care, because I cannot support hypocrisy and double standards. Either the word is bad, or it’s not. Can’t have it both ways.

As to the actual issue, my read is the Trump advisers clearly hadn’t heard it, or they wouldn’t be wondering what the context was.

Comment by Arizona CJ — 8/14/2018 @ 5:46 pm

8. Who do you hang around that you hear that word used frequently and without repercussions? That seems like a social circle that you should probably avoid.

Comment by Colonel Klink — 8/14/2018 @ 6:26 pm

9. @ Colonel Klink;

I have several black friends that use it on each other, plus I hear it when people are playing rap music, and I’ve heard it used by some black “leaders”.

Regarding the aforementioned friends, perhaps I should avoid that social circle, but I’m not inclined to do so; I’m not one to dump friends simply because I disagree with them on something.

Comment by Arizona CJ — 8/14/2018 @ 8:54 pm

10. I’m on vacation so way out of wack time wise – but come on! That argument is silly.
    Of course no one should that word.
    But being white and using it is vastly different, and it’s disingenious to to act like it’s comparative.
    No one should say Mother F$&@er either.
    But calling ME one is different that hitting your thumb with a hammer and shouting it as an expletive.
    Saying “You magaficent bastard!” is different than than being called a bastard by a lawyer in a legal case or in a heated argument.
    I know a lot of Irish and they use the female version of the “worst word” as slang. I’m telling you now that if one called a guy he knew in joshing a C-word” he’d laugh it off. But you call his mother or wife that – well trouble WILL ensue.
    You know that.
    And arguing that “hey people in the black community use it, so why can’t I?” Or “if it’s so bad why can they use it with impunity but not I ?”
    Seems kinda like a “wink,wink” argument.
    Again – it’s wrong to say it – but in certain uses,by a certain groups – offensiveness varies.
    But again, you know that.

Comment by TomM — 8/14/2018 @ 11:43 pm

11. A word’s meaning doesn’t change simply because of the color of your skin. A word is either harmful or it isn’t, either accepted by society or it isn’t. The fallacy of “taking back” a word to use as empowerment sounds great, but it’s a cheap trick that only allows the word to promulgate within society.

So, if the black community wants this word stricken from vocabulary then they need to lead by example.

Comment by Sean — 8/15/2018 @ 5:39 am

12. It’s a nasty epithet, whoever uses it, no matter how ironic Chappelle or rock employs it, much like leguizamo with the other cognate.

Comment by Narciso — 8/15/2018 @ 8:20 am

13. @ TomM;

Either the N-word is okay to use, or it’s not. Black, white, purple with polka-dots, whatever, should not matter.

Hypocrisy is never okay.

Comment by Arizona CJ — 8/15/2018 @ 10:04 pm

14. There’s a word for using differing standards based on the color of one’s skin. That word is racism.

Very well put. It applies in other fields, too. Either principle exists, or it doesn’t.

Comment by Luke Stywalker — 8/18/2018 @ 3:08 am

15. Well it could be prejudice or mere discrimination

Comment by Narciso — 8/18/2018 @ 8:28 am

16. For those who say context matters, imagine Trump talking about the African nation of Niger …

Would that be a defense?

Comment by DRJ — 8/18/2018 @ 8:08 pm