7/25/2017

Some Great Blog Posts About My Court Victory Over Convicted Bomber Brett Kimberlin

Filed under: Uncategorized — Patterico @ 6:59 am

I wanted to take a moment to thank a few people who took time out of their schedule to post about my court victory over convicted bomber and perjurer Brett Kimberlin.

WJJ Hoge, as always, had the news early on and provided the documents. His post noted a curious silence about the summary judgment at the Kimberlin propaganda site Breitbart Unmasked — a silence that appears to continue today. Hoge also today publishes a list of Kimberlin’s court losses, here.

William Jacobson at Legal Insurrection reminds us that one of Brett Kimberlin’s targets was Mandy Nagy, who suffered a horrible stroke from which it appears she may never fully recover. As difficult as this experience was, talking to Mandy about it regularly was one of the things that made it bearable. I miss our conversations.

Ron Coleman had his own interesting writeup about the affair. He has a particularly fascinating (and distressing) story about how people tried to “help with” (read: take over) the Slants case once it was clearly headed for a high-profile victory . . . yet when he was looking for pro bono local counsel in Maryland on this case, the sound of crickets was loud indeed — until my hero Bruce Godfrey came along.

Scott Greenfield expands on Ron’s observations, and reminds us that while some free speech causes seem to motivate the public into action, others (like mine) become largely ignored. The job is then left to stalwarts like Ron Coleman of Archer & Greiner and the Likelihood of Confusion blog, and Bruce Godfrey of Jezic & Moyse LLC, to step in and defend free speech.

Eric Turkewitz also gives a tip of his hat to Coleman and Godfrey. I think it’s worth noting that I am not a political kindred spirit of Greenfield or Turkewitz — but as Turkewitz says: “[T]hat is not the point. The First Amendment doesn’t belong to the right or the left, it belongs to all of us. When the rights of one are curtailed then the rights of all of us are.”

Robert Stacy McCain had this post, which reminds the reader that he and several other Kimberlin critics were SWATting targets. Stacy’s perpetrator was caught. The perpetrators of most of the others have not.

If I have missed any posts, let me know. Thanks to those who took the time to write about this, or to leave a comment, or send an email of congratulations. And again, thanks to people like commenters Dianna and Dustin and others (you know who you are) who have stood by my side for years while this unfolded. Folks like you made it easy to keep slogging forward when it seemed like the rest of the world had forgotten.

14 Comments »

1. Good for all these people. I’m still hoping the folks at Instapundit and Powerline will offer congratulations, too.

Comment by DRJ — 7/25/2017 @ 8:33 am

2. Again, my congratulations

Comment by SPQR — 7/25/2017 @ 12:39 pm

3. No story but Above the Law linked your post as “A much needed W for the First Amendment.”

Comment by DRJ — 7/25/2017 @ 5:24 pm

4. The Three Conservatives post has been published as an Op-Ed at the Jackson Press of Jackson TN.

Comment by DRJ — 7/25/2017 @ 5:30 pm

5. It feels like more liberal websites reported on and congratulated you than conservative websites. So much for conservative values. And you are a prosecutor, which makes it even worse.

Comment by DRJ — 7/26/2017 @ 5:05 am

6. I’ve now read Instapundit more in the past day than I had read it in the past year, because I was hoping against hope that he would mention this story. He did not.

I would be disappointed but I gave up on him a year ago, so at this point it leaves me with a feeling of validation. I wonder if he even cares about the issues he purports to champion, like free speech.

Comment by DRJ — 7/26/2017 @ 5:19 am

7. At one point Instapundit reliably linked my good posts. He is probably as responsible as anyone for the success this blog has had. I’ll always be grateful to him for that. Over time, he has been very generous with his platform to many, many bloggers. He helped me and dozens (maybe hundreds) of others get attention when nobody else would. He has attained a great deal of success and I salute him for that.

He was once a stalwart supporter of those harassed by Brett Kimberlin & Co. He himself was a target of Neal Rauhauser. He covered every important step of the saga and rallied support for us. I appreciated that, too.

But that stopped a while back, as did any links to my blog. I wish he had found space on his blog to mention my victory over Kimberlin. I know he knows about it because he “liked” my Facebook post about it yesterday morning. But while he has found space for several posts about deals at Amazon over the past couple of days, there is no mention of this court ruling — which really is a significant development to anybody who was following the affair.

Glenn Reynolds does not owe me a thing. Nobody is owed a blog post about anything. I’m just observing that his priorities seem to have changed. And like DRJ, I am disappointed — if not (at this point) particularly surprised.

Comment by Patterico — 7/26/2017 @ 7:31 am

8. Those are fair points, as always. Reynolds absolutely deserves credit when he does (or did) good things, just like Trump.

Comment by DRJ — 7/26/2017 @ 7:39 am

9. Yeah, but unlike Trump, Glenn is fundamentally a good guy. I’m puzzled as to why he seems to have stopped linking my blog and has seemingly become uninterested in Kimberlin’s lawfare. But I have met him and listened to him and find him very intelligent and interesting and usually right about things. And his wife is delightful.

Comment by Patterico — 7/26/2017 @ 7:51 am

10. I think he’s gotten too wrapped up in the Trump circus. And although most of his cobloggers are acquaintances of mine, they don’t seem to take suggested links from me either these days.

Comment by SPQR — 7/26/2017 @ 8:55 am

11. I don’t know Prof Reynolds or his wife but they seem like decent, intelligent people. He has been a strong advocate for conservative values in the past, and I hope he will do that in the future. I don’t need to be in his tribe to recognize his contributions, nor am I his opponent if I question some of the things he does.

He certainly believed in free speech when Twitter suspended him for saying “Run them down” about street protesters. He seemed glad for support from other conservatives and believed in free speech when he was the target:

HH: And what would you say to those people who are urging that you be silenced and shut down and fired? This is a 1st Amendment that we’re talking about here. What would you say to them, Glenn Reynolds?

GR: That’s a lot for three words, especially considering all the hyperbole we’ve heard in this election already. We’ve heard plenty of people talking about the desirability of the assassination of Donald Trump and other things. It seems to me that that’s kind of a double standard, isn’t it?

Patterico had to deal with a lot more than a brief Twitter suspension when he stood up for free speech, and it seems like a double standard to stand up for one’s own speech but not for others. But maybe he thinks a Facebook Like is adequate.

One thing I’ve learned from the Trump era is the danger of tribalism (HT Simon Jester). I am not picking on the Instapundit because I don’t know what motivates him. I hope it’s about too little time than about Patterico not being in the right tribe.

Comment by DRJ — 7/26/2017 @ 10:32 am

12. But, honestly, I don’t think this is about too little time. I was trying to be generous but that’s not likely given his disinterest in Patterico’s posts for some time.

Comment by DRJ — 7/26/2017 @ 10:36 am

13. Overlawyered noted your win.

Comment by DRJ — 7/30/2017 @ 2:43 pm

14. Yup. I appreciate that. Walter Olson seems like a good guy.

Comment by Patterico — 7/30/2017 @ 9:55 pm