8/10/2010

Harry Reid doesn’t know “how anyone of Hispanic heritage could be a Republican”

Filed under: General — Karl @ 9:11 pm

[Posted by Karl]

Via the Weekly Standard, embattled Sen. Maj. Ldr. Harry Reid (D-NV) caught telling an audience of mostly Hispanic voters: “I don’t know how anyone of Hispanic heritage could be a Republican, okay. Do I need to say more?”

John McCormack notes that Reid’s positions on immigration are unpopular with Nevada voters in general.  That’s not surprising if Reid is going to pander to Hispanic voters.  But Hispanic voters — and everyone else  — ought to note that Harry Reid was a key vote in killing ”comprehensive immigration reform” in 2007.  So the answer to Reid’s question is “yes” — he does need to say a bit more, if only to explain why he put the interest of Big Labor ahead of “comprehensive immigration reform.”

Update: Harry’s son, Rory, is running for Governor.  He’s currently getting crushed in the polls by Republican Brian Sandoval — the first Hispanic candidate elected to statewide office in Nevada. (h/t Melissa Clouthier)

–Karl

1. I’ll bet houses he didn’t talk about abortion or gays.

Comment by Kevin Murphy (5ae73e) — 8/10/2010 @ 9:20 pm

2. “I don’t know how anyone of Hispanic heritage could be a Republican, okay. Do I need to say more?”

Yeah, you need to say more. You need to tell me why people should see the world and their partisanship only according to race, coincidentally in such a way that a race cannot possibly oppose your personal power.

This is so disgusting. Where’s the NAACP? Where’s La Raza? Of course, those organizations see the world according to what race you are, too, which is no longer acceptable in my opinion.

What if these Hispanic people have been fetuses at some point? Could I then suggest they cannot possibly be liberals? What if they pay taxes or were laid off by a business facing high taxes?

Maybe I could just give individuals credit, and not judge them based on the color of their skin?

Comment by Dustin (b54cdc) — 8/10/2010 @ 9:26 pm

3. Man, Sharon Angle needed this, bad. I hope to hell the people around her take full advantage.

She’s a bit off center, IMO, but the fact that Reid is actually much nuttier is a valid response.

Comment by Dustin (b54cdc) — 8/10/2010 @ 9:28 pm

4. They can’t understand anyone wanting to escape the plantation since they are such kindly plantation owners and have such pleasant looking overseers …

Comment by SPQR (26be8b) — 8/10/2010 @ 9:29 pm

5. Someone pass Harry a mint julep, his hands look empty …

Comment by SPQR (26be8b) — 8/10/2010 @ 9:29 pm

6. I would say he rhymes with maggot except for he is a maggot – a chewing maggot and a slurpling maggot what is guzzling and digestering the sweet suppurating dead flesh of our little country and her liberties for so he can redistribute and consolidate and redistribute and consolidate and feel safe and happy and warm swaddled in the bloated carcass of our little country’s perpetual decline

Comment by happyfeet (19c1da) — 8/10/2010 @ 9:32 pm

7. Be sure to check the update!

Comment by Karl (12dcea) — 8/10/2010 @ 9:36 pm

8. I wish I could write that poetry.

But yes, basically, he aspires to be a maggot. Many of these ultra cynical phonies just want to get their little slice of what’s left of a dying republic. And they are absolutely horrified at the idea of seriously rescuing her.

I could understand their POV if things were truly hopeless, but they aren’t. They could even be heroes if they wanted to be. But no, all that matters is their personal slice, usually a tiny fraction of the cost to the nation.

Comment by Dustin (b54cdc) — 8/10/2010 @ 9:38 pm

9. This would be the same Harry Reid who deeply offended Hispanics last year, resulting in them demanding an apology from the Senator,

“Yesterday CALL sent a letter to senators, on behalf of 33 million Hispanic Catholics, voicing our call for healthcare public policies that include changes that are essential to a moral and ethical system ensuring the protection of life, human dignity, and respect for consciences of health care workers. CALL’s voice joined that of thousands of others across the nation. Last night Senator Reid responded by comparing those who disagree with his views on morality and justice in healthcare to supporters of slavery and to those who opposed to the civil rights movement.

CALL takes great exception to Senator Reid’s shameful comparison and, on behalf of 33 million Catholic Hispanics, we demand his apology to the nation.”

Comment by Dana (8ba2fb) — 8/10/2010 @ 9:40 pm

10. Be sure to check the update!

Oh! That’s some delicious irony there, Karl.

Comment by Dana (8ba2fb) — 8/10/2010 @ 9:41 pm

11. Update put a smile on my face.

Dana, these people see the civil rights movement as nothing but a bullet point for their party. the idea of getting beyond race is meaningless to them. Say that to Sherrod or Reid and they just ignore you like you’re a simpleton… at best. At worst they look at your skin color and spit out an according reaction as to how you must be thinking.

They drag civil rights around to compare with any social justice issue they can come up with. That’s what Reid is really thinking. he thinks civil rights = cash.

Comment by Dustin (b54cdc) — 8/10/2010 @ 9:44 pm

12. An old white guy tweaking and pulling the race card is just really beyond the pale, Dustin.

Comment by Dana (8ba2fb) — 8/10/2010 @ 9:47 pm

13. you can’t fix st00pid, but you CAN mock it for days….

Comment by redc1c4 (fb8750) — 8/10/2010 @ 10:15 pm

14. Sure, but I bet Sandoval is not a real Hispanic. :)

Comment by Patricia (358f54) — 8/10/2010 @ 10:32 pm

15. Hispanics should be told early and often about “el aborto” liberals have in store for “undesireables.”

They only need enough votes, darlin’. Then it’s time to limit the population of your “people.”

What a moron. But the truth be known, they don’t care what comes out of their mouths anymore.

Comment by ConservoBabe (12786b) — 8/10/2010 @ 11:00 pm

16. I don’t know how any Mormon could support Harry Reid the Democrat, okay. Do I need to say more?”

Comment by ReidTard (6bce22) — 8/11/2010 @ 12:16 am

17. “I don’t know how anyone of Hispanic heritage could be a Republican”

I don’t know how anyone of human heritage could be a Democrat.

Comment by Dave Surls (f312db) — 8/11/2010 @ 1:04 am

18. I didn’t know Hispanic was a separate race.

Comment by hazy (996c34) — 8/11/2010 @ 3:05 am

19. It is a specifically delineated ethnicity within the caucasian race.

Comment by Icy Texan (e1cc22) — 8/11/2010 @ 3:29 am

20. Old Harry ought to spend some time in Texas where there are quite a few Republican, Conservative, Patriotic, Tea Party attending, voting Hispanics.

Harry, you really need to work on your spiel, it is getting very, very boring.

Comment by GM Roper (a0b04a) — 8/11/2010 @ 4:53 am

21. Marty here! Yep, Harry is a schmuck! Can there be any doubt? Marty out!

Comment by Marty the Martian (a0b04a) — 8/11/2010 @ 4:56 am

22. Odds are he will be reelected even after he calls his own constituents racists and flips them the Byrd.

Comment by Mr Pink (86d969) — 8/11/2010 @ 5:14 am

23. oh and does anyone now doubt the Dems are trying to paint anyone enforcing immigration laws as racist in order to devide us and gain votes? These people are fucking scum

Comment by Mr Pink (86d969) — 8/11/2010 @ 5:17 am

24. I don’t know how any Nevadan could vote for Harry Reid.

Comment by ropelight (e8bea8) — 8/11/2010 @ 5:21 am

25. If he was any paler, he would be Albino, he’s like an extra ‘from “There will be Blood”

Comment by ian cormac (ab2f02) — 8/11/2010 @ 5:23 am

26. That “Harry Reid was a key vote in killing “comprehensive immigration reform” link is a killer.

Comment by Neo (7830e6) — 8/11/2010 @ 6:10 am

27. He probably can’t see it because he apparently only sees in black, white, and brown. I can see how they vote GOP- Hispanics are people who care about policies and laws and familes and freedom, and don’t want this sort of racism here in America.

Comment by A Conservative Teacher (b5229b) — 8/11/2010 @ 6:11 am

28. Is this guy in the KKK or something?

Dear sweet lord what a bigoted, ignorant fool.

I guess we Hispanics are either illegals or family to illegals or want family overseas to come here illegally.

Harry, please drop dead you scum bag.

Comment by HeavenSent (ff0596) — 8/11/2010 @ 6:47 am

29. The reason may just be that voting for a Dem or retarded Liberal like H.Reed is like being a sheep following its leader blindly, down to the bottom of a cliff. Does he really thinks that all of us can be fooled to be one of those politically illiterate followers? That maybe the case with those hispanic that have no clue of the US politics and no clue of who is screwing up this, one time, great country after the election of this insane administration.
    As a American-Caribbean-Latino I take a BIG offense to this impostor statements furtering strengthening my reasons why, I WILL NEVER be a Democrap.

Comment by BorikuaNJ1 (1c275b) — 8/11/2010 @ 6:59 am

30. I didn’t know Hispanic was a separate race.

Comment by hazy — 8/11/2010 @ 3:05 am

It is a specifically delineated ethnicity within the caucasian race.

Comment by Icy Texan — 8/11/2010 @ 3:29 am

It is, as far as the federal government is concerned. As we all know, the actions of the federal government have only a casual relationship to the real world. Most Hispanics are about as Caucasian as Charles Rangel.

Comment by Subotai (4caac8) — 8/11/2010 @ 7:05 am

31. This is par for the course with this hopefully ex-senator. The only thing that would surprise me from Reid would be an intellectually honest rational remark.

Comment by MD in Philly (5a98ff) — 8/11/2010 @ 7:08 am

32. I guess all Hispanics are monolithic.Thankyou, Mr. Reid, for once again ,by telling the voters who you are and what the Dems represent.

Comment by mike191 (4dc06b) — 8/11/2010 @ 7:15 am

33. Maybe Harry Reid needs to talk to Brian Sandoval, who is poised to become the next governor of Nevada when he defeats Democrat nominee Rory Reid in November.

Comment by Rhymes With Right (9d701f) — 8/11/2010 @ 8:15 am

34. Sometimes I think all Democrat politicians are offspring of herding dogs. They yip and snarl and run around from sunup to sundown keeping their herd in place. Lord help any that breakaway from the herd.

Comment by in_awe (44fed5) — 8/11/2010 @ 8:49 am

35. What he could have meant was this:

“How could some greasy sp*c be beating my boy in the polls?”

Comment by Michael Ejercito (249c90) — 8/11/2010 @ 9:44 am

36. Harry Reid doesn’t know “how anyone of the generally poorer Hispanic heritage could be a member of the rich white man’s Republican Party

– There. FTFY!

Comment by Icy Texan (e1cc22) — 8/11/2010 @ 10:05 am

37. Harry, I don’t know how anyone whose little grey cells are still functioning could vote for you, okay. Do I need to say more?

Comment by Jaime (88d0da) — 8/11/2010 @ 10:14 am

38. Today Rush Limbaugh said

I don’t understand how a real man could be a Democrat.

Comment by Lazarus Long (5720c3) — 8/11/2010 @ 12:05 pm

39. I don’t know how the Morman Religion could allow a Morman Liberal.

Comment by Liberal Stupidity (6cdb11) — 8/11/2010 @ 12:17 pm

40. harry reid, i am going to attribute your ignorance to the leaky depends you are wearing!

I simply do not understand why harry reid is still in politics? he is one OLD man!

Please Spread the truth!!! A vote for a dem is a vote for CHINA!

Forget about Learning Spanish and the illegal’s start teaching your kids Mandarin Chinese!

We are being bombarded with islam tolerance, and democrats spending money as if time is running out! We live in one uncertain world, and worst potus to start has not addressed the many questions of his birth place!

Comment by Lorraine (9d1bb3) — 8/11/2010 @ 2:33 pm

41. I read that he is trying to walk it back by saying he meant he did not know how anyone, Hispanic or otherwise, could be a Republican.

Comment by JD (02b872) — 8/11/2010 @ 2:58 pm

42. our sons and daughters
    were dying in Iraq Reid
    said “This war is lost”

Comment by ColonelHaiku (f2744f) — 8/11/2010 @ 5:03 pm

43. gave aid and comfort
    to the enemy he can
    kiss the Colonel’s ass

Comment by ColonelHaiku (f2744f) — 8/11/2010 @ 5:05 pm

44. “Sometimes I think all Democrat politicians are offspring of herding dogs.”

If I was a herding dog, I’d file a libel suit.

Comment by Dave Surls (8f52ea) — 8/11/2010 @ 6:04 pm

45. I don’t know how the Morman Religion could allow a Morman Liberal.

Reid is strongly disliked by the Mormons I know.

Comment by ColonelHaiku (f2744f) — 8/11/2010 @ 6:18 pm

46. “30.I guess all Hispanics are monolithic.”

Yes, because the GOP would never be guilty of painting all Hispanics as being violent, drug-running criminals who kidnap Americans and gleefully murder them on the border. They’d never paint all Hispanics as taking American jobs. Or as illegals who should be required to produce papers simply because of their skin color (which for some reason reminds me of Nazi Germany – can’t imagine why).

That would never happen.

Comment by JEA (e8fadc) — 8/11/2010 @ 6:39 pm

47. No, the GOP wouldn’t do that. That would never happen.

Sure, a lot of racists like Sherrod make insane claims like that. It’s called projection.

‘Produce papers’. If you don’t like the federal law, petition to have it changed. Until you do, Obama is breaking his oath of office to not faithfully enforce this requirement. It’s there for a good reason and we aren’t putting mexicans in the oven if they don’t show their papers.

If this is what reminds you of nazis, you’re a nazi apologist.

Comment by Dustin (b54cdc) — 8/11/2010 @ 6:41 pm

48. speaking of hispanical peoples and such this is profoundly awesome though I can’t say why exactly

The New York-based MAC cosmetics company won’t pursue Mexican sales of a new collection designed by Rodarte that raised hackles in Mexico because it features pallid, ghostly hues said to be inspired by border towns.

The collection of lipstick, blushes and other cosmetics uses names like “Juarez,” “Bordertown,” “Ghost Town” and “Factory.”

More than 100 women were abused and murdered before their bodies were dumped in Ciudad Juarez’s desert between 1993 and 2003. Many of the victims were factory workers.

MAC President John Demsey said in a statement Tuesday that not selling the collection in Mexico is a way for the company to atone for offending Mexicans with the line and to show respect for women in Juarez and their families.

Comment by happyfeet (19c1da) — 8/11/2010 @ 6:53 pm

49. JEA, it is nothing short of amazing how you think you can show up here and write such buffoonery demonstrating your utter ignorance of whatever topic you opine upon.

I think you need to go back to studying whether or not “war bonds” are government borrowing or not before deciding to launch into nazi references about existing Federal law.

Comment by SPQR (26be8b) — 8/11/2010 @ 6:59 pm

50. JEA just ol’
    country-headed boy zip code
    EIEIO

Comment by ColonelHaiku (f2744f) — 8/11/2010 @ 8:20 pm

51. “Or as illegals who should be required to produce papers simply because of their skin color (which for some reason reminds me of Nazi Germany – can’t imagine why).”

I can’t imagine why either, seeing as how pretty much everyone in Nazi Germany had the same skin color.

But, only God knows why lefties think the stuff they think.

Comment by Dave Surls (23733f) — 8/11/2010 @ 9:31 pm

52. I’m a conservative but I bailed on the Republican party a long time ago. Sadly, that leaves me with very little representation. Sorry, but I can’t jump on board a party that claim to be strict constructionists and are so obsessed with imposing unconstitutional language + cultural requirements in a FREE country.

Comment by Iono (892ac0) — 8/11/2010 @ 11:31 pm

53. Jack E. Ass projectile-vomited the following:
    – By daring to discuss events in the news, the GOP is guilty of stereotyping? Seems to me that the only one using the word “all” here is YOU!

They’d never paint all Hispanics as taking American jobs.
    – Again, you are attributing that stereotype to them; thereby, you yourself are stereotyping the GOP as being all paranoid racists. Ironic, isn’t it?

– Right. The GOP considers all hispanics in America to be illegal until proven otherwise. Gee, are you sure that you don’t want to shop this major revelation around to the likes of HuffPo, instead of tossing it out for free at this little start-up blog?

Comment by Icy Texan (ddb818) — 8/12/2010 @ 4:24 am

54. Description of Reid’s comment this am on Fox:

“That was an Archie Bunker comment.”

Comment by MD in Philly (5a98ff) — 8/12/2010 @ 5:54 am

55. Haryy Reid is a stinking turd. His brain is made of excrement. Flush him into the sewer with the other stinking democrats and illegal brown things.

Comment by flushtheturd (453185) — 8/13/2010 @ 1:22 pm