6/12/2018

Trump on the Summit with Rocket Man

Filed under: Uncategorized — Patterico @ 6:38 am

He looked into his soul:

“I do trust him, yeah,” Trump said. “Maybe in a year you’ll be interviewing and I’ll say I made a mistake. It’s possible. We’re dealing at a high level, a lot of things can change a lot of things are possible.”

He pressed the president on his previous criticism of North Korea’s human rights abuses including starving his people, running labor camps and assassinating members of his own family.

“George, I’m given what I’m given,” Trump said. “This is what we have, this is where we are, and I can only tell you from my experience, and I’ve met him, I’ve spoken with him. I’ve met him. And this is, this has started early and it’s been very intense. I think that he really wants to do a great job for North Korea. I think he wants to de-nuke, without that, there’s nothing to discuss. It was on the table from the beginning, and you see a total denuclearization of North Korea – so important.”

Trump talked about the agreements that were reached at the summit in Singapore today, saying that he believes the North Korean leader “wants to do the right thing”.

“We have the framework for getting ready to denuclearize,” Trump said. “He’s de-nuking the whole place. I think he’s going to start now.”

Trump seemed to hold an optimistic take on Kim’s intentions, saying that the dictator “really wants to do something I think terrific for their country.”

I guess once you’ve committed to a summit like this, you have to say dumb things like this in the aftermath. It’s all of a piece.

So important. And keep in mind: the missle launches have stoped:

So there’s that.

7 Comments »

1. He’s an idiot. Let’s hope he is a lucky idiot.

Comment by DRJ — 6/12/2018 @ 8:25 am

2. Will he or won’t he sell out South Korea?

Comment by DRJ — 6/12/2018 @ 8:29 am

3. I don’t think he’s an idiot, I think he’s just oblivious to much of what is going on around him that doesn’t interest him or flatter his own ego. I think the only saving grace here is the old saying, “game recognize game.” Trump is probably the only person who can negotiate with Kim because they’re so much alike—and before someone argues that I’m calling Trump a murderous tyrant, I’m not—it’s just that Trump and Kim are both egomaniacs and Trump just might be able to “speak his language” and recognize how to get what he wants.

Comment by Sean — 6/12/2018 @ 8:43 am

4. So far, all we really have from N. Korea is words.
    I’ve got no problems if we respond in kind, such as saying we’re canceling military exercises. (words like that can be undone fast)

I don’t like the “framework” talk, at all. My suspicion is that Kim is pulling the same BS N. Korea has pulled around 22 times.

As for selling out S. Korea, I’m fine with that if it happens, so long as it results in a truly and irreversibly denuclearized Korean peninsula. Same goes for human rights issues; they don’t matter save as a bargaining chip in this case.

BTW, to those who think I’m being callous regarding selling out S. Korea, I’m not; S. Korea is considerably stronger militarily than N. Korea. They are quite capable of looking out for themselves.

If Trump actually gets denuclarization, I’ll absolutely cheer him as a superb deal-maker and admit I was wrong to doubt his competency.

If Trump gets bamboozled and it’s yet another fraud of a deal (like Iran, prior N. Korea deals, etc, etc.) then Trump is an even bigger moron than Obama or Clinton.

Comment by Arizona CJ — 6/12/2018 @ 10:00 am

5. I cannot believe Trump gave this plum interview to Stephanopoulos, the pint sizes liberal shill.

Why not to a friendly source from the Washington Times, or even some unknown reporter?

Comment by Amon-Ra — 6/12/2018 @ 12:05 pm

6. He can’t spell simple words. It doesn’t mean he is an idiot in every way but it shows a lack of intelligence/stupidity in basic knowledge, so in that respect he is an idiot.

Comment by DRJ — 6/12/2018 @ 6:00 pm

7. I think he is an idiot.

Comment by Patterico — 6/13/2018 @ 8:02 am