10/11/2007

Story of Alleged John Edwards Affair Hits Big Media

Filed under: 2008 Election,General — Patterico @ 9:30 pm

Mickey Kaus has been following the whole story of John Edwards and his alleged affair with a campaign worker. (All according to the National Enquirer.) Go to Kausfiles and keep scrolling.

Mickey recently said of the story: “The MSM seems to be strenuously trying to not report it.”

Not any more. Edwards has publicly denied it — and that gives Big Media the opening it needs. The story is on the L.A. Times web site — albeit, right now, only on a blog. And the AP has the story as of four hours ago.

1. This will jump start Edward’s campaign. If Edwards, bites his lower lip, wipes away a tear and claims he is just trying to make America better while people are trying to destroy him, his standing among Democrats will skyrocket.

Comment by Perfect Sense (b6ec8c) — 10/11/2007 @ 10:45 pm

2. From the picture I saw, Silky should have been able to do better. Skank.

Comment by daleyrocks (906622) — 10/11/2007 @ 10:53 pm

3. Haha,

As usual, you guys are shootin’ at the wrong target.

Who’s next?

Kucinich?

Comment by alphie (99bc18) — 10/11/2007 @ 11:37 pm

4. HaHa Alphie,

The National Enquirer and the AP and the NY Times are all known hotbeds conservative thought.

Try again.

Comment by daleyrocks (906622) — 10/12/2007 @ 12:14 am

5. Just because the AP and the Times aren’t willing to jump off the same cliff that the far right pundits jumped off these past few weeks doesn’t make them “lefties,” daleyrocks.

Just a few posts ago, Justin discovered where poor ol’ former Timeswoman Judy Miller fell to earth.

Couldn’t the neocons at least have given her a seat in the AEI soup kitchen for her stellar pro-war cheerleading?

Comment by alphie (99bc18) — 10/12/2007 @ 12:46 am

6. Couldn’t the neocons at least have given her a seat in the AEI soup kitchen for her stellar pro-war cheerleading

Would that be the war the Democrat War Congress is funding and Hillary won’t promise to withdraw from?

Comment by Perfect Sense (b6ec8c) — 10/12/2007 @ 12:53 am

7. The Dems haven’t passed this year’s funding for Bush’s Middle East social experiments yet, PS.

In fact, the vote has been put off until January.

Comment by alphie (99bc18) — 10/12/2007 @ 1:02 am

8. …put off until January?
    Would that be 15 months after the Democrats promised to end the war in order to get elected?

Comment by Perfect Sense (b6ec8c) — 10/12/2007 @ 2:00 am

9. This story started at the HuffPo, then got some legs through Slate. Don’t hang this one on conservatives.

Comment by Dudley Smith (65936b) — 10/12/2007 @ 6:07 am

10. Who has the most to lose and who has the most to gain from the John Edward’s affair story? Those voting for Edward’s are doing so because they can’t stand Hillary Clinton. Most of the votes, I have not doubt, will go to Barack Obama should this story get out and prove to be true. Hmmmm … I wonder who’s campaign leaked this story to the National Enquirer?

Comment by Markus (b509eb) — 10/12/2007 @ 6:41 am

11. When working for the Edwards camp, my conduct as well as the conduct of my entire team was completely professional.

Well, cops do call hookers “pro’s”…

I’m just sayin…

Comment by Scott Jacobs (425810) — 10/12/2007 @ 6:45 am

12. Daley, where did you see this pic?

Comment by Scott Jacobs (425810) — 10/12/2007 @ 6:46 am

13. We need to look at who thinks they will benefit by damaging Edwards. I’m not seeing a lot of conservatives republicans on that list. Edwards is a second tier candidate at best. Maybe he put the story out himself to look more macho. Maybe Obama put it out to clear the board of lesser pieces. Maybe Hill did it to grab his voters who would be unlikely to go to Obama. Maybe it’s true and the press feels compelled to report it (least likely, IMHO)

Comment by quasimodo (edc74e) — 10/12/2007 @ 7:11 am

14. Count me as one conservative who wants to puke. Unless there is ample evidence of an affair, newspapers shouldn’t publish anything on the subject.

Comment by Law (62ca0c) — 10/12/2007 @ 8:54 am

15. Scott #12,

Go here. And I’m not sure daleyrocks is right unless I don’t know what “skank” means.

Comment by nk (6e4f93) — 10/12/2007 @ 9:01 am

16. JESUS!

That’s a scary lookin’ woman.

*shudders*

Hey, whatever he’s into, that’s his deal. I guess he like ‘em butch…

Comment by Scott Jacobs (425810) — 10/12/2007 @ 9:50 am

17. That’s too bad. I thought the guy had one redeeming feature–he wasn’t a womanizer. Scratch that.

Comment by Patricia (4117a9) — 10/12/2007 @ 10:03 am

18. #16
    At least she has good hair. May be what attracted them to one another!

Comment by Voice of Reason (10af7e) — 10/12/2007 @ 10:05 am

19. I wouldn’t get too comfortable with this story at all. Doesn’t Clinton lawyer, David Kendall, do work for the National Enquirer, things like vetting stories?

Comment by PCD (b47ba5) — 10/12/2007 @ 10:15 am

20. You know … girls get together and do each other’s hair all the time.

Comment by nk (6e4f93) — 10/12/2007 @ 10:36 am

21. speed freak is what I was thinking based on the face shot – nk. Skanky speed freak.

Comment by daleyrocks (906622) — 10/12/2007 @ 11:32 am

22. Well, I’d rather pick on the Silky Pony. I don’t know the lady and she’s not running for public office. It could also just be mutual admiration of coiffures, as VOR said.

Comment by nk (6e4f93) — 10/12/2007 @ 1:05 pm

23. These kinds of rumors and innuendo are really repulsive, no matter who the target is.

Comment by JD (864bd2) — 10/12/2007 @ 3:41 pm

24. Not if they’re true. It’s a legitimate story.

Comment by Christoph (92b8f7) — 10/12/2007 @ 3:41 pm

25. Even if they’re not true. Caesar’s wife must be above reproach. Oh, wait, that’s not the Democrat rule. The Democrat rule is “it’s not the probable truth of the allegation, it’s the seriousness of the accusation”. Forged TANGO documents, anyone?

Comment by nk (6e4f93) — 10/12/2007 @ 3:47 pm

26. Christoph – There is no evidence given to make me want to believe it. There are no sources named. It is a steaming pile of shite.

Comment by JD (864bd2) — 10/12/2007 @ 3:56 pm

27. JD, I made the exact same point on the LA Times blog. If no evidence, it’s contemptible and I hope he sues and, frankly adds his winning to either his election campaign war chest or another wing of his house, his choice. (That’s the point I made on the LAT blog.)

If true, it’s a legitimate story. It all turns on the facts.

Comment by Christoph (92b8f7) — 10/12/2007 @ 4:02 pm

28. As far as I can tell, LAT has pulled it from their server. The link above, working before, was “NOT FOUND”.

Comment by Christoph (92b8f7) — 10/12/2007 @ 4:05 pm

29. If there are verifiable facts, and an actual person willing to stand up and accept responsibility for their accusations, I would be more prone to pay attention. In this case, sadly, no. The alleged cheatee’s denial was kind of wishy washy though.

I would not vote for Edwards in this lifetime, but he does not deserve this. He deserves to be mocked for his silly policy ideas and his divisive class-warfare “2 Americas” crap, but not this. This is wrong.

Comment by JD (864bd2) — 10/12/2007 @ 4:10 pm

30. It is wrong, but one thing I’ll point out is leftists wouldn’t give a shit whether it’s wrong or not.

They’d be happy to smear any Republican with an untruth and, if there were enough of them, they’d be happy to commit mass murder like Mao and Uncle Joe.

And I’m talking about American leftists, not just foreign.

Comment by Christoph (92b8f7) — 10/12/2007 @ 4:13 pm

31. This is obviously a plant by the Edwards’ camp to nail down the Bill Clinton/Hound Dog vote.

Comment by Another Drew (8018ee) — 10/12/2007 @ 6:13 pm

32. EXACTLY why I made my own conservative music CD called Blaming America First. Mr. Edwards has his face featured on my cover. Someone had to do it–I did.

Comment by Lance Morrison (cd61f1) — 10/13/2007 @ 10:19 am

33. I think that John Edwards may have boinked his female staff assistant. I mean, his wife is sick, can’t shop at Nordstrom and he is a rich dude and the chick is hot! Duh! Thank you.
    Bill McQueen Seattle

Comment by Bill McQueen (08b840) — 10/16/2007 @ 7:34 pm

34. You know, I can’t figure out just why the mainstream press is ignoring so many story written by the Enquirer.

Oh sure, they covered the Enquirer’s story on Elizabeth Smart’s family being part of a gay sex ring, but only after the sources (who were paid $20,000) were proven to have fabricated the story. And of course, there is the Gary Condit “scandal” but the mainstream press talked more about how he won his libel lawsuit against them than they did about the “actual” scandal! What about when they broke the story of the 8 year old girl who gave birth to the 14 year old boy?? Not one word in the mainstream press!!

Talk about irresponsible journalism! Come on now — inquiring minds want to know! Give us the dirt. We really don’t care whether it’s true or not.

:P

Comment by Martha (33d988) — 11/5/2007 @ 7:37 pm

35. When it turns out that this entire scandal was a LIE, I hope you all BURN IN SHAME FOR YOUR CACKLING.

You are DESPICABLE creatures, you who would cast the first stone based on the NATIONAL ENQUIRER. FIE ON YOU. MAY YOU ALL BE FORCED TO READ THAT HUNK OF CRAP WEEKLY FROM COVER TO COVER FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIVES. (tremble at my caps lock !!!)

It is one thing to crap out a fake scandal like this, but another to be so STUPID as to have it be so easily rebutted by a SCIENTIFIC paternity test, which is certainly in the offing.

The last laugh will be on you, Edwards haters – may your catty commenting be shoved down your throats on Election Day. Scurry, you roaches, upon the dawning of a new era of Truth.

May you who jump on this bandwagon to Hell be cursed to watch Two Girls One Cup for ever and ever on repeat.

-j

Comment by jef wallace (8e9907) — 12/23/2007 @ 1:36 am

36. 1. I care more about his public than private life
    2. If eliz is dealing with it, why can’t we?
    3. The lying was not cool–
    4. He made have needed a break from the pressure. Eliz. said many times that he was by her side re: her treatment. is an affair really so terrible. It’s not murder, it’s sex, people

Comment by rose (c36902) — 8/8/2008 @ 7:58 pm