7/14/2019

President Trump Rallies A Fractured Democratic Party

Filed under: Uncategorized — Dana @ 1:54 pm

[guest post by Dana]

He just couldn’t help himself:

Untitled

Ugh. If you are going to tweet crap, at least be accurate in your crap-tweeting. Obviously Trump is referring to AOC, Ayanna Pressley, Rashida Talib, and Ilhan Omar when he says “Progressive Democrat Congresswomen”. But here’s the thing: AOC is from New York, Ayanna Pressley is from Chicago, and Rashida Talib is from Michigan. Only Ilhan Omar was born outside of the United States.

Unfortunately, as is so often the case with President Trump, his lack of discretion and clumsiness has given the Democrats a perfect opening on several fronts. While some may view his tweets as part of a clever strategy to outfox the Democrats, what he has really done instead is to open himself up to ridiculous accusations by Democrats that he wants to banish congressional women of color because they are not sufficiently pro-America, and has reminded Democrats that he is their enemy, not each another. With both of these things, he has not only given Democrats ammunition to use to their advantage but he has also given them a big reason to come together in a renewed sense of unity, just as Nancy Pelosi hoped would happen. Better to have sat back, and quietly let the Democrats eat their own. I’ll give him this though: He may have been clever in seeing this an opportunity to throw his base of ardent, die-hard MAGA loyalists something to rally around because this sort of red meat is right up their alley. And we know they will support and defend him at every turn, no matter how much they have to lie about it, whether directly or by omission:

Untitled
(Read the sentence before his highlighted one.)

This is from today’s Fox and Friends, cheering on the President’s tweets and ignoring the inaccuracies of his claims and the white-nationalistic tones:

What Trump missed though was that along with his base rallying around his distorted cries of “America,” so too is Nancy Pelosi. But for different reasons: She is using his tweets to effectively shift the focus off of her team’s infighting to Trump’s white America:

Untitled

And if you’re inclined to give President Trump the benefit of the doubt that there was a bigger strategy in play with his tweets, you can chew this over (but you’ll have to ignore the sheer offensiveness of his words to do buy into it.)

These Trump tweets are sneaky (and thus probably not written by Trump).

To his base, they simply represent the white-nationalism they want to hear.

But they also dare the House Dem leadership to offer full-throated support for AOC/Omar/Tlaib, with whom they’ve been feuding…

If the leadership leaps to the defense of AOC et al, they look weak. Dems will say “Why didn’t you support these Congresswomen a few days ago?”

Plus, this commits Dems to support Congresswomen whom Trump and his people believe are extremist enough to alienate lots of voters.

But if the leadership stays silent and refuses to jump to the defense of AOC et al, they look like they’re collaborating with open white-nationalism for the sake of a petty intra-party feud!

In other words, these tweets are aimed at putting the Dem leadership in a bind.

You can really see both an ideology and a strategy being built around Trumpism – a combination of trolling, white-nationalism, and attempts to exploit divisions on the left.

I predict this approach will outlast Trump…

It is possible to both strongly disagree with the politics and viewpoints of these four Democratic Congresswomen as well as strongly disapprove of the President’s trash talk.

–Dana

8 Comments »

1. Sigh. Come on. I read all of the headlines this morning and didn’t want to go past them because I was too busy to care. However, now that I read his actual tweet I have to admit the headlines are pretty misleading.

You don’t have to be a MAGA hat wearing fool to read that tweet in plain English and realize that Trump meant those inexperienced congresswomen should go show us how their ridiculous economic and social models can clean up their own problem-ridden districts before telling the rest of America that they know the only solution moving forward.

Just because Trump says things inelegantly doesn’t give people the right to take his comments, cut them up, and piecemeal them back together to fit their narrative. He clearly did not say “go back from where you came.”

Comment by Sean — 7/14/2019 @ 5:07 pm

2. Trump first said:

Progressive Democratic Congresswomen who came from countries whose governments are a complete and total catastrophe…now loudly and viciously telling the people of the United States

He then said:

Why don’t they go back and fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came.

I’m sorry to say we definitely disagree on this, sean. To me, it’s a stretch to believe that he was referring to them going back to their districts. He makes it clear that he means “countries,” when he says “countries”.

Comment by Dana — 7/14/2019 @ 5:27 pm

3. You can’t just highlight the first and last part of a sentence leaving the middle context out to make it into something it’s not.

There is a difference between calling someone’s rhetoric out as failed or juvenile, challenging them to go back to the districts they represent to show us that what they claim is our only path forward works to turn around their own cities first, and simply dismissing someone by saying go back from where you came.

I’ll agree Trump is an idiot and can’t count (1 of 4 does not constitute “women”), but on everything else I think he’s right to point out about these congresswomen.

Comment by Sean — 7/14/2019 @ 5:37 pm

4. Sean, I only left out the middle part for brevity’s sake, but could have easily included it because, to my mind, it only adds credence to the reading that he was referring to their “countries,” not their districts. I certainly wasn’t cherry-picking. There is no need to given that I believe my assessment is accurate, based on the entirety of his tweets.

Comment by Dana — 7/14/2019 @ 5:49 pm

5. I think we just have to agree that Trump is an idiot and move on, because while I can see how you’re interpreting his tweets I can’t agree that he’s simply telling them to deport themselves and never return.

Comment by Sean — 7/14/2019 @ 5:55 pm

6. Wait, I never said that I believe he said he wants to them to deport themselves and never return, Sean. I said he has opened himself to accusations by Democrats that he said that.

I explicitly said:

Also, Sean, he himself said that they “should then come back”… whether from their districts (as you believe he meant) or from their countries (as I believe he incorrectly meant).

Comment by Dana — 7/14/2019 @ 6:08 pm

7. @Dana, based on Trump’s comments today I owe you an apology, he clearly didn’t mean for this to be a policy issue after all. While I tend to agree that AOC and her click are dangerous and should be voted out of office next year, it appears Trump went out of his way to make this more about them leaving all together rather than challenging their ideals. Horrible choice of words, but given the person, par for the course.

Comment by Sean — 7/15/2019 @ 1:36 pm