3/26/2019

Witch Hunt

Filed under: Uncategorized — Patterico @ 7:26 pm

For the longest time, all you heard from the media was: he’s guilty. He’s going down.

Sure, it took a while to build to that point. But in the end, it seemed universal: every time you turned the channel, everyone was saying: this guy’s done. It’s a turning point. This looks like the beginning of the end.

It sure looked bad for a while. Payoffs for illegal activity. Lying. Stuff that like doesn’t play well.

But in the end, it was up to the prosecutor. And the prosecutor has said there will be no prosecution. And even though we don’t seem to know all the details yet, that’s the end of it.

Sure, the people who have been wrong about this all along are livid. They will not let it go. They complain that the prosecutor who announced the decision is playing politics. That he’s getting away with it because of who he is. Look at the criminals around him!

But his supporters held fast. Show me the man, they noted, and I’ll show you the crime. And in the end, the witch hunt ended in total and complete vindication

for Jussie Smollett.

10 Comments »

1. You got me! This was funny.

Comment by DRJ — 3/27/2019 @ 4:24 am

2. Should I read the comments at the main website to see them moan and whine about how unfair this is?

Pass.

Comment by DRJ — 3/27/2019 @ 4:25 am

3. Thank you, Patterico, for making me smile. There is little I love more than tongue-in-cheek stuff like this.

On a serious note though, what the heck is going on in Chicago? No written filings, a case sealed by a judge, the Chicago police defying the judge and dumping the case records online, and even corrupt lefties crying foul?

IMHO, it’s obvious there is malfeasance, so the big question is, why did the State Attorney do this, and in such a ham-handed way? And why did a judge go along?

Comment by Arizona CJ — 3/27/2019 @ 2:25 pm

4. Now that political connections in this Chicago case are coming to light, it makes me question the timing.

Remember the Covington kids faux furor, which was pushed so hard by some who did so in order to distract from the media mess of taking a buzzfeed story as factual (which then spectacularly blew up in their faces)? Perhaps this Chicago outrage was done to distract from Trump being cleared.

There is literally nothing I’d put past Democrats these days, sad to say.

Comment by Arizona CJ — 3/27/2019 @ 6:27 pm

5. The Chicago case is troubling. So is this Arizona case. Power corrupts.

Comment by DRJ — 3/28/2019 @ 7:31 am

6. Thanks for the info on the Arizona case, DRJ. I had not heard of it.

Looks to me like the police responded with, at least, massively uncalled for force.

As for underlying issue, child protective services and what powers it has, I am in the uncomfortable position of seeing both sides of the issue and being undecided as to what’s right.

One one hand, you have a heavy-handed agency that has downright dictatorial powers that they often abuse. One the other, you have a reasonable suspicion that a child is in danger.

So, they smashed down the door and took all three kids. And apparently, kept them even after it turned out the kids were okay.

My take – both sides were wrong, but the state agencies were far more in the wrong.

I’m a libertarian on most issues, but the underlying issue here is one I’m deeply conflicted on. I feel the State has far, far too much power to yank kids away on a bureaucratic whim (And kids being torn from their parents is harmful to the child – though in some cases it may be the least harmful choice).

On the other hand, I do not believe that children are property, so I do not believe parents have the right to inflict harm via nutty beliefs (religious or otherwise). To give an outrageous example, if a child has internal bleeding due to a car crash, and the parents think a faith healer is all they need, I’m not inclined to let the kid die. Likewise, I would not want to let parents toss their kids off cliffs because the parents believed the kids could fly. I think the State does have a duty to protect minors from real parental abuse such as the above. I don’t care if the belief is religious or not, harming a child is harming a child, and no one should have the right, religious or not, on another human being.

Where’s the line though? I think it’s somewhere a lot closer to parental rights than where we are now, but where exactly I know not.

Comment by Arizona CJ — 3/28/2019 @ 12:51 pm

7. I agree, and I have seen it because of the foster care system. We want to help children who are in danger without hurting families.

My thought is the doctor’s involvement is the problem here. My guess is each decision made by child services or the police was influenced toward doubting the parents because a doctor had said there was reason for concern. I suspect they would have listened or investigated more if not fpr that.

As an aside, I also wonder if they took that toddler to the hospital and did a spinal tap to rule out meningitis. I have a child who had meningitis and that is the ONLY way to tell for sure, but the test is invasive and has risks.

Comment by DRJ — 3/28/2019 @ 3:31 pm

8. @ DRJ,

I hope your child recovered okay from the meningitis/spinal tap.

I suspect you are right – the doctor’s involvement triggered it, but I also think the police responded with way too much force.

Invasive procedures/tests like spinal taps get ordered by doctors way too often to rule out slight chances of things. And as you say, tests like that carry risks. If there’s sound reason to suspect meningitis, okay, but I’ve seen other kinds of risky tests ordered for almost no reason at all. This is an issue because of ‘defensive medicine'; doctors ordering every test possible with an eye on liability rather than medicine.

Comment by Arizona CJ — 3/31/2019 @ 1:44 pm

9. Thank you, CJ. Our son had meningitis 27 years ago, and fortunately he survived.

I understand your point about testing now but back then, pediatricians tended not to do tests. A Mayo pediatrician we saw then told me that, at that time, there wasn’t much medicine could do for very sick children. He said they either died or they lived no matter what they did, and whichever one happened was almost always too quick for extensive testing to matter. It was eye-opening for me but I think that was true then, although hopefully not as much now. Also, most people want to try more to save kids.

Adult testing may be different. I think most doctors order tests they believe will tell them something important, but I agree some doctors are worried about claims, some want to do anything to help, and some succumb to patient pressure. However, as a family with rare diseases, I want those tests because I know most medical diagnoses are based on statistical probabilities. If you have a disease that fits the statistical probabilities for your symptoms, you are safe with letting the doctor guess instead of test. If not, you will be in bad shape and it was avoidable. Do you want to roll the dice with your family members? I don’t.

Finally, the police response looks bad but if you really have non-cooperative parents, do you risk police lives with a second visit by one or two policemen? In hindsight, obviously Yes. But the parents treated the police as a threat by refusing them access. It was their right to do that but IMO it also made the police reasonably concerned about what might happen when they returned.

Comment by DRJ — 3/31/2019 @ 3:30 pm

10. FWIW I am not convinced much has changed with pediatric meficine. The pediatricians I see still focus on vaccines and guessing instead of testing. Vaccines are life-saving but we don’t have vaccines for everything and there is a surprisingly significant percentage of kids who can’t get vaccines (because they are immunocompromised or already have serious diseases).

Comment by DRJ — 3/31/2019 @ 3:36 pm