3/14/2019

Beto O’Rourke: “Man, I’m Just Born To Be In It”

Filed under: Uncategorized — Dana @ 9:19 am

[guest post by Dana]

In the 2020 race for the presidency, that is:

From a profile of O’Rourke in Vanity Fair this week:

Beto O’Rourke seems, in this moment, like a cliff diver trying to psych himself into the jump. And after playing coy all afternoon about whether he’ll run, he finally can’t deny the pull of his own gifts. “You can probably tell that I want to run,” he finally confides, smiling. “I do. I think I’d be good at it.”

“This is the fight of our lives,” he continues, “not the fight-of-my-political-life kind of crap.

But, like, this is the fight of our lives as Americans, and as humans, I’d argue.”

The more he talks, the more he likes the sound of what he’s saying. “I want to be in it,” he says, now leaning forward. “Man, I’m just born to be in it, and want to do everything I humanly can for this country at this moment.”

Meh. It’s all I can muster…

Let the Betomania begin:

We’re doing all of the Obamamania stuff again, except this time with a white guy from Texas. It’s all starting up again: the retro hipster t-shirts, the bracelets on Etsy, the votive candles.

Once the progressive-media industrial complex decides that some guy is a hero, it’s difficult to derail that train. They’re convinced they can conjure that courageous and intrepid narrative into existence through sheer willpower, facts be darned. O’Rourke’s recent defeat is just reinterpreted as a historic victory, a key turning point, a promise of things to come. There’s a paperback book of photography from Beto O’Rourke’s 2018 Senate campaign: “When I first showed up to see Beto OʼRourke he had 63,500 followers on Twitter. Eleven months later on election day, he broke the 900,000 mark. And it’s all because he showed up and left us all with a feeling that doesn’t go away — hope.”

This presidential campaign is a rerun.

Nobody does presidential elections quite like the Democrats. This burning drive to find the next savior reminds us of their (screwed-up) fundamental belief that the role of government is to take care of us all from cradle to grave, if possible.

–Dana

10 Comments »

1. He probably believes every word he says. This is narcissism.

Comment by DRJ — 3/14/2019 @ 12:59 pm

2. Of course, that makes him the perfect candidate in today’s world so he has a real chance at winning.

Comment by DRJ — 3/14/2019 @ 1:48 pm

3. Robert ran on a “can’t we all just get along” platform with scant details on any real policies here in Texas. That won’t fly nation wide. He’s toast. I’m just glad he isn’t running against Cornyn who he’d beat hands down.

Comment by Sean — 3/14/2019 @ 4:39 pm

4. That’s true about Beto vs Cornyn. Good point. It is something to be glad about.

Comment by DRJ — 3/14/2019 @ 5:56 pm

5. And I’m not really a Cornyn fan. It is amazing how depressing Texas politics has become for me. Fair or not, I blame Trump. He has completely erased principles from politics.

Comment by DRJ — 3/14/2019 @ 5:57 pm

6. Yes he has. It’s amazing how many Trump fans/Texans threw Cruz under the bus before he voted in favor of the national emergency and now they’re all claiming Lee is a Rino and Cruz is the greatest ever. Sad.

Comment by Sean — 3/14/2019 @ 6:08 pm

7. It is amazing how depressing Texas politics has become for me. Fair or not, I blame Trump. He has completely erased principles from politics.

Doesn’t this relieve politicians of being responsible for their own words and actions? I’ve often wondered if during the 2016 campaign, had the other candidates collectively and publicly shamed and firmly rebuked Trump and his egregious behavior(s), if he would not have then become the nominee. IOW, peer shaming and shunning. How much did Trump’s fan base play a part in his meteoric rise vs. an abdication of responsibility by his peers to call him out every time he shot off his mouth and said something that was either a lie, an insult, offensive, etc.?

Comment by Dana — 3/15/2019 @ 10:38 am

8. I don’t know but it looks to me like many people want a politician like Trump instead of like Romney. They want a down and dirty fighter like the Democrats seem to have. Instead of hurting Trump, group shaming might have made him that much more popular.

Comment by DRJ — 3/15/2019 @ 12:41 pm

9. It’s unfortunate. I wanted a fighter too, just not one who fought dirty and without any scruples. Still, I think the other candidates were so caught off guard by how brazen and uncouth Trump was that they were unsure how to effectively push back, as well as not wanting to risk a setback in their own numbers as a result.

Comment by Dana — 3/15/2019 @ 2:40 pm

10. What could they have done, other than point out the obvious that everyone already knew: Trump is vulgar, crass, lies, and likes to stir chaos. You can’t defeat a dirty fighter if the voters want a dirty fighter.

Comment by DRJ — 3/15/2019 @ 4:42 pm