11/8/2018

Ruth Bader Ginsburg in Hospital

Filed under: Uncategorized — Patterico @ 7:28 am

For broken ribs after a fall:

Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg is in the hospital after falling in her office Wednesday night, the Court announced in a statement on Thursday.

Ginsburg, 85, went home after the fall but continued to experience “discomfort overnight” and went to George Washington Hospital early Thursday. Tests revealed she fractured three ribs and she “was admitted for observation and treatment,” according to the statement.

Best wishes to her for a speedy recovery.

20 Comments »

1. The rules here are: don’t say anything you would not say in my living room. On a thread like this, I would not tolerate much in my living room. If there’s a question in your mind about whether to say it, don’t say it. I will ban — from BOTH blogs — anyone who violates the rules.

Comment by Patterico — 11/8/2018 @ 7:34 am

2. God Bless Her, God Bless Us. Amen.

Comment by JRH — 11/8/2018 @ 7:47 am

3. Hairline fractures of the rib are not serious injuries and typically just require short-term use of painkillers or anti-inflammatories while they heal on their own. CT scans can often uncover rib fractures that regular radiographs (x-rays) miss and injuries to organs and blood vessels are also easier to see.

i take this to be what she has cause they say “tests revealed” not x-rays, so i’m guessing she either had a ct scan or a bone scan

this is good cause it’s almost the holidays and there will be many merriment, many many festive

Comment by happyfeet — 11/8/2018 @ 7:56 am

4. She’s one of those thin, wiry people who will, barring cancer or senility, live to 100. I expect she’ll be back soon enough.

Comment by Paul Montagu — 11/8/2018 @ 7:59 am

5. I wish her to get well and out of hospital quickly, too. At 85, every injury is serious, and you’re in as much danger from the doctors tinkering with you as you are from the injury itself.

Comment by nk — 11/8/2018 @ 8:02 am

6. you’re in as much danger from the doctors tinkering with you as you are from the injury itself

this can’t be emphasized enough anymore

Comment by happyfeet — 11/8/2018 @ 8:05 am

7. May she have a speedy recovery and be back at the gym challenging that newbie Kavanaugh.

Comment by urbanleftbehind — 11/8/2018 @ 8:06 am

8. Patterico, thank you for closing comments on the blog, and reminding people to be kind and civil. There is far too much nastiness around, and it does impact other people, as well as our whole culture.

Bone fragility in the elderly is horrific. RBG seems to be doing what is necessary to keep up bone density, but there are limits.

I was reading about her personal life. Wholly independent of her politics, she has lived a fine personal life.

My thoughts are with her children and grandchildren.

Comment by Simon Jester — 11/8/2018 @ 8:43 am

9. Urban, that was a wonderful comment. It would make RBG and Kavanaugh laugh.

Remember that Scalia and RBG were good friends.

Comment by Simon Jester — 11/8/2018 @ 8:45 am

10. I wish her well. Broken ribs at that age is painful. Let’s hope it’s just a stress fracture and not a complete break.

Comment by whembly — 11/8/2018 @ 8:59 am

11. Some doctors have a mean streak. Just this past summer, one of them forced me to say that Donald Trump is President. And then … oh, it’s too horrible! … she asked me who was President before him.

Comment by nk — 11/8/2018 @ 9:02 am

12. Comment by urbanleftbehind — 11/8/2018 @ 8:06 am

well said, ULB.

Comment by felipe — 11/8/2018 @ 9:09 am

13. Best wishes to her for a speedy recovery — broken ribs are bad enough at any age, let alone 85, but you can recover. Hopefully she won’t have much pain to deal with and will find strength from within and from family, friends, etc.

Too bad there are people out there who would make the sort of comments that Patterico had to preemptively squelch. Of course he was right to do so. What can you say except to pray, or hope/wish etc if you don’t pray, for them as well that they find some sort of peace and learn better.

Comment by RL formerly in Glendale — 11/8/2018 @ 9:48 am

14. She may outlive Kavanaugh, the guy who testified under oath that he “likes beer”.

Comment by Paul Montagu — 11/8/2018 @ 10:11 am

15. Having had bruised ribs several times,

1) I don’t wish broken ribs on anyone, and I wish her a speedy recovery. There’s not much that can be done other than rest and pain management, though.
    2) I wonder how she could sleep — discomfort isn’t the word I would use.
    3) I admire her dedication to stay on the court past the point where many would retire, but she may want to reconsider. Falls at her age are no laughing matter.

Comment by Kevin M — 11/8/2018 @ 10:15 am

16. When he was 98, my Dad broke 2 ribs and had a punctured lung. He recovered quickly but the MediCare rules stopped his cancer treatments while he was in rehab, and that is what killed him. In hindsight, he should have skipped rehab but we didn’t realize that would happen.

Comment by DRJ — 11/8/2018 @ 1:14 pm

17. Some people have good genes and heal quickly, even in old age. Justice Ginsburg may be one of those people. I wish her well.

Comment by DRJ — 11/8/2018 @ 1:16 pm

18. Ouch. Any falls, bump or bruise like that past 80 is rough. But RGB’s a tough little lady. She works out, too. Tape her up, get Gatorade in her and she’ll be back in the game in a few weeks, Coach!

Comment by DCSCA — 11/8/2018 @ 1:32 pm

19. This is so unfortunate. I’m sorry RBG is having to go through this. A speedy recover be hers.

Comment by Dana — 11/8/2018 @ 4:54 pm