3/16/2018

BREAKING: Andrew McCabe Fired

Filed under: Uncategorized — Patterico @ 7:14 pm

The Washington Post is breaking the news right now:

FBI’s Andrew McCabe is fired just before retiring. Former deputy director became lightning rod for Clinton email and Russia probes.

McCabe, who had stepped down from his post earlier this year but remained an FBI employee, had been accused by the Justice Department’s inspector general of authorizing the disclosure of sensitive information to a reporter and misleading investigators when asked about it.

McCabe had been a lightning rod in the political battles surrounding the investigation into Hillary Clinton’s use of a private email server and special counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s probe into whether any Trump associates coordinated with Russian agents to interfere in the 2016 presidential race.

He would have been eligible for full benefits on Sunday, in two days.

No sooner does RedState call for this to happen, than it happens.

Behold the power of RedState!!

UPDATE: Hey, remember this?

[Cross-posted at RedState.]

31 Comments »

1. This is a harsh penalty for someone who has worked for years so I hope it is based on facts showing corruption and wrongdoing, and not based on politics.

Comment by DRJ — 3/16/2018 @ 7:28 pm

2. It sure has the feel of a rushed justification job, doesn’t it?

Comment by Patterico — 3/16/2018 @ 7:30 pm

3. That said, McCabe has always seemed like bad news to me, so there might be something to it.

Comment by Patterico — 3/16/2018 @ 7:40 pm

4. UPDATE: Hey, remember this?

Comment by Patterico — 3/16/2018 @ 7:45 pm

5. Let’s assume it is deserved. It will send an important message to federal employees: Follow the rules, and no one is above the rules.

Comment by DRJ — 3/16/2018 @ 7:59 pm

6. McCabe believes his firing was political. That doesn’t make it so but some will agree. It’s important for the DOJ to show it’s not.

Comment by DRJ — 3/16/2018 @ 8:32 pm

7. I doubt the timing of McCabe’s firing was a coincidence. It fits the template for both Parties in DC because it distracts from other stories that the President wants buried like Tillerson’s firing and the Stormy lawsuit. As an added bonus, it let Trump take a Twitter victory lap.

Comment by DRJ — 3/17/2018 @ 3:23 am

8. Ah drj seemingly always missing the big picture, is that too arcane for you.

Comment by narciso — 3/17/2018 @ 8:37 am

9. Please educate me, narciso.

Comment by DRJ — 3/17/2018 @ 8:38 am

10. I am being sincere. I’d like to know what you think I’m missing.

Comment by DRJ — 3/17/2018 @ 8:39 am

11. And since I “always” miss the big picture, feel free to go off-topic and share your concerns about other areas. This is a smaller forum so I doubt P will care if we discuss other topics.

Comment by DRJ — 3/17/2018 @ 8:41 am

12. I assume you read all my comments here. Which ones are off the mark? The one that says the firing will send a message to federal employees to follow the rules of they will get fired? Is that an example of me always missing the big picture?

Comment by DRJ — 3/17/2018 @ 8:44 am

13. You were commenting at the main website this morning but you never came back here. Thus, I think your comment is a result of your frustration (anger? irritation?) regarding my criticism of your comments at the main website. It is frustrating to be criticized but criticism can help us improve ourselves. In that spirit, I hope you return to discuss your criticism of my comments.

Comment by DRJ — 3/17/2018 @ 11:26 am

14. To be clear, you have said that I always miss the big picture. Can you give me some examples where I’ve done that?

Comment by DRJ — 3/17/2018 @ 11:28 am

15. One example, I assume, is in the comments on this post. Which one and why?

Comment by DRJ — 3/17/2018 @ 11:29 am

16. Consider for example who is her atty, and why she decided to pop up now, Mr avlenetta very well connected to the democrats, always trying to extort everyone from Paris Hilton to mark Burnett.

Comment by narciso — 3/17/2018 @ 2:02 pm

17. If the “she” you are referring to us Stormy Daniel’s aka Ms. Clifford,v I’m sure the left is encouraging and perhaps even funding her efforts. Maybe some on the right are, too. I don’t doubt that she/they see this as a good time to confront Trump. But my point was that once that happened, Trump used the McCabe news to push her legal filings out of the headlines.

Comment by DRJ — 3/17/2018 @ 2:15 pm

18. So I don’t see how I’m failing to see the big picture. I guess you will have to give me another hint.

Comment by DRJ — 3/17/2018 @ 2:16 pm

19. narciso, it’s not cool to just leave a comment like that and then not justify it. If you want to pull a stunt like that, do it at the main site. Or better yet, not at all. But at least not here.

Comment by Patterico — 3/17/2018 @ 3:00 pm

20. I try to ignore miss Peterson as much as possible, but we need to know the whole story don’t you think nit merely the echo chamber, that CNN and CBS new is providing.

Comment by narciso — 3/17/2018 @ 5:32 pm

21. Perhaps like rick Wilson, who has an omelet of egg on his face, he seems to be firmly in Mccabe corner.

Comment by narciso — 3/17/2018 @ 5:35 pm

22. Who is Miss Peterson?

Comment by DRJ — 3/17/2018 @ 5:35 pm

23. Daniels non stage name, other the domestic assault charge and the issue with her campaign manager she seems above board.

Comment by narciso — 3/17/2018 @ 5:43 pm

24. Oh, you are calling her Peggy Peterson, the name she used in the non-disclosure agreement. And Trump is David Dennison.

Those are interesting choices to me. I wonder who picked them? My initial thought is it’s prepared like a law school exam where she is the Plaintiff and he is the Defendant. If Trump’s side chose the names, and I assume they did because they almost certainly drafted the agreement, why make her the Plaintiff? More important, why would he want to be the Defendant?

Alternatively, were these pet/pretend names they had used all along?

Comment by DRJ — 3/17/2018 @ 6:20 pm

25. I don’t think it her as Peggy Peterson but I’ll try to do that with you, if that’s what you want to call her.

Comment by DRJ — 3/17/2018 @ 6:22 pm

26. So what do you think is the story behind Peterson? Do you think what’s important is that she may have liberal backers of is it something else?

Comment by DRJ — 3/17/2018 @ 6:30 pm

27. OR is it something else? Or, not of.

Comment by DRJ — 3/17/2018 @ 6:31 pm

28. Initially that unnamed democratic consultant that put her in contact with dube, then the whole dc madam scandal, then the colbertesque campaign against vitter which went into deep freeze until vitter started poking around the Nigerian connection to the Clinton foundation.

Comment by narciso — 3/17/2018 @ 6:38 pm

29. Do you think Vitter, Trump, etc., are being framed? Or do you think they did the deeds and no one cared until they got in power and these incidents could be used against them?

In other words, are the allegations true or false, or does it matter to you?

Comment by DRJ — 3/17/2018 @ 7:13 pm

30. I think bitter did the deed, there is actual evidence re trump all I see is loose, and frankly I’m dismayed at the low threshold of some of the stuff I see get the banner headline here.

Comment by narciso — 3/17/2018 @ 7:33 pm

31. Trump has a history of affairs while married. Do you think that is relevant?

Comment by DRJ — 3/17/2018 @ 7:36 pm