Patterico's Pontifications

3/8/2018

FIND ME A SAFE SPACE! Middlebury Students “Triggered” By a Mere Photo of Charles Murray

Filed under: General — Patterico @ 9:30 am

As someone about to send a daughter off to college next year, I can only shake my head at the type of coddled, whiny brats she will encounter there. The latest example is a mealy-mouthed apologia from the Middlebury school newspaper for having displayed The Ultimate Horror: a photo of Charles Murray. From the editor-in-chief:

I wish to explain the photograph on page A1 to the readers. I recognize that it may be especially jarring, particularly for students of color who feel that Charles Murray’s rhetoric poses a threat to their very humanity. I also recognize that Murray’s visit to campus last March is an open wound for a campus trying desperately to move forward from it.

During a heated debate in the newsroom on Tuesday night, most of the section editors, and the managing editor, said that running this photograph would be inappropriate. Though I deeply respect the input of my editors, I decided to run the photograph anyway. I take full responsibility for this decision. It was mine alone, and any criticism should be directed at me alone.

This photograph is not meant to troll, or to cause pain, but to ask how that protest still lives with us today, one year later. For many, this image is burned in our collective memory. As much as we try to distance ourselves from that moment, we are made from it.

Let’s place to one side the absurd notion that “Charles Murray’s rhetoric poses a threat to the[] very humanity” of, well, anyone. As an admirer of Murray’s, I can confidently say that there is an inverse correlation between holding such a belief and being familiar with his actual writings. The better you know Murray’s work, the more you know that such comments are laughable.

But never mind that, for now. Here’s my real question:

They’re triggered . . . by a photo?

What babies.

I could understand the converse: Murray being triggered by a picture of Middlebury students. I could understand Professor Allison Stanger, who was set to debate him, being triggered by such a picture. After all, Middlebury students assaulted Murray and Stanger, leaving her in a neck brace. But they still wouldn’t get “triggered” because, well, they’re adults.

These students are not adults. They are whiny, entitled, spoiled children, whose immaturity is enabled by the co-dependents running the school.

And it’s not just Middlebury. This is how it is everywhere.

My daughter is level-headed. She’ll be fine. But the environment she’s going to walk into next year is a joke. An absolute joke.

[Cross-posted at RedState and The Jury Talks Back.]

162 Responses to “FIND ME A SAFE SPACE! Middlebury Students “Triggered” By a Mere Photo of Charles Murray”

1. Yikes he is like mua’dib, his name is a killing word,

narciso (d1f714)

2. Yikes he is like mua’dib, his name is a killing word

Now I have this image in my head of Charles Murray in a stillsuit with luminescent blue eyes.

Mitch (341ca0)

3. Can’t find the youtube

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/X8iEsRz

narciso (d1f714)

4. Forget it, Patterico. It’s America 2018.

nk (dbc370)

5. Our country needs to address the education establishment and clean house. They are destroying our culture and our ability to compete in the future.

Rev.Hoagie (1b0402)

6. I’m quite willing to sign on any sort of class action anti-discrimination law suit you lawyers would care to file

Sack up councilor.

papertiger (c8116c)

7. No different than what happened to Jordan Peterson up in Canada where they barricaded the doors, smashed a window, threatened to burn everyone inside alive and the woman that broke the window had a garotte on her.

They are mentally ill, violent and dangerous. Leftists need to be committed to mental institutions for the sake of humanity.

NJRob (39b186)

8. Bret Weinstein

@BretWeinstein
    De-platformers aren’t in conflict with speakers. The conflict is between factions within the audience:

Rather than staying away, holding another event, or protesting at the venue, one faction asserts a right to control what others may listen to.

It is a variant of book-burning.

harkin (8256c3)

9. So you draw the line at a Charles Murray? Nice to know. Had they been triggered by a picture of Trump, I’m guessing you would’ve shrugged it off, because who shouldn’t be triggered by someone who is routinely referred to here as an idiot, moron, dunce, dimwit and who “praised mass murder”? You have been an enabler of this snowflake mindset.

The Left will demonize anyone and everyone on the right, whether a respected academic or a “dimwit” president. This was breaking news, oh, about 30 years ago.

random viking (b16ad8)

10. ……that it may be especially jarring, particularly for students of color who feel that Charles Murray’s rhetoric poses a threat to their very humanity.”

This from the very same side of the political spectrum which deems NRA members to be terrorists.

harkin (8256c3)

11. Cool, maybe hell become like the Bill Murray car window sticker that looks vaguely like 80s Marvel Comics Dr. Strange if viewed a certain way.

urbanleftbehind (5eecdb)

12. I’m certainly triggered by photos of Trump. That eunuchnoid skin, those raccoon eyes, that Bozo hair combed over bare scalp. They make my skin crawl and roil my stomach. It’s one reason I’ve stopped being nasty to Melania. She’s paying for her sins and more.

nk (dbc370)

13. *eunuchoid*

nk (dbc370)

14. Oh hell, nk is triggered. Everybody stand back. You must have a little leftist in you to be triggered. You need an exorcism.

Rev.Hoagie (1b0402)

15. I hope he doesn’t end up in a barrel like Madeline Murray. In that case a generic “Murray” label would suffice.

Pinandpuller (16b0b5)

16. Nice to know. Had they been triggered by a picture of Trump, I’m guessing you would’ve shrugged it off, because who shouldn’t be triggered by someone who is routinely referred to here as an idiot, moron, dunce, dimwit and who “praised mass murder”?

You really don’t understand Patterico if you think this is remotely true. This is so stupid, it staggers imagination.

Chuck Bartowski (bc1c71)

17. > But they still wouldn’t get “triggered” because, well, they’re adults.

Psychological triggering is a real thing that happens to adults.

I think there’s an argument that ‘triggered’ as it is commonly used in this kind of debate isn’t the same thing as psychological triggering.

But triggering is a real problem for many people — environmental cues can cause them to relieve past trauma *without even realizing it’s happened*. Being an adult doesn’t protect you from that.

aphrael (3f0569)

18. Murray has a face for podcasting. I don’t even know what he looks like.

Pinandpuller (16b0b5)

19. Watching the news with mr nk must be like watching Fight Club. Did I just see a huge…???

Pinandpuller (16b0b5)

20. Psychological triggering is a real thing that happens to adults.

And it can be cured by a treatment of crystals and cats paws.

Rev.Hoagie (1b0402)

21. Triggering is just another pseudo-psychological term for feminizing men. As if these little twerps could get more feminized. These kids need to be taken out of school and put to work. Then when they see what’s left of their paycheck after taxes they’ll actually have something to be triggered about. So kid living off his parents, coddled in some BS college, getting participation trophies has nothing to be triggered about.

Rev.Hoagie (1b0402)

22. > And it can be cured by a treatment of crystals and cats paws.

No, it really can’t.

https://psychcentral.com/lib/what-is-a-trigger/

Psychological triggering is one of the big ways that PTSD manifests, and having both experienced it (triggering from childhood abuse) and watched other people experience it (including combat PTSD), my sense is it’s not a trivial thing to mess around with.

aphrael (3f0569)

23. this reminds me of that time harvardtrash Ted was triggered by a retweet of a picture of his sacky on the internet – he twisted off and made a HUGE super-dramatic deal of it, which just called attention to his sacky and how she’s not the prettiest lady in the whirl

sometimes it’s best just to rise above, that’s what I think

happyfeet (28a91b)

24. In what may be a silver lining, the comments section on the newspaper editor’s abject apology/confession seem to be overwhelming derisive with respect to the tender sensibilities of the woke Middlebury student. It appears that at least a few of the commenters are themselves Middlebury students. Here’s a pretty solid comment from one of them, who doesn’t even divulge on what side of the Murray divide he or she falls:

Love that this guy thinks he’s being bold by starting dialogue in our school’s newspaper, which, to some extent, exists for that very reason.

Also, it’s worth noting that this is a discussion that our school has proved incapable of handling with maturity; it ripped us to pieces last year, and concluded without resolution. (Ethan should know this better than anybody, but The Campus just loves writing/editorializing on Charles Murray). More discussions will yield the same results. Sometimes you need to let sleeping dogs lie. Hopefully, more mindful admissions office will full this place with students superior to its current inhabitants, who can have these discussions down the road.

I see only one comment that supported this author’s anguished namby-pambyness, so maybe even the crybullies at Middlebury are starting to understand how disastrously they have represented their school.

JVW (42615e)

25. Chuck Bartowski splained it more better.

nk (dbc370)

26. Fantasy Legal question:

You’re a Dean who’s had enough of the country-wide college craziness so you announce a policy that sets up a monitoring program for recording behavior at public presentations by invited guest speakers (told you it was a fantasy).
    – Those who disrupt the presentation in any way are identified (and I’m assuming there isn’t enough police presence to remove all the disruptors)
    – Those identified are notified that they are suspended for the remainder of the semester. If they return and repeat their actions, they are are expelled. Period.

Would said Dean be prevented from instituting/preserving this policy for First Amendment reasons?

a10pilot (cf2dc1)

27. sometimes when i feel triggered i make a dry banana cream martini

so simple

you want a fresh banana from the store and it’s ok to just buy one banana – they have more carbs than you want and if you keep them around they turn more and more sugary, and that’s not good for america

so you want a fresh banana not green but let’s say a very virgin yellow one

ok throw mr. banana in a blender with say 2/3 of a half pint of heavy whipped cream, a splash of water and some ice

and add just a hint of cinnamon

blender it up!!

you blender it up before adding the vodka so you get a good idea how much vodka it can take and still have a nice consistency

ok so you add the vodka and blender some more

the vodka adds all the sweetness you need really

yay! this way you can be triggered and still enjoy a fun tasty martini

happyfeet (28a91b)

28. The First Amendment would be a consideration only at public colleges and universities, and even there it would not allow violence or the threat of violence.

nk (dbc370)

29. The fact is that the faculty and staff at most of these so-called places of higher education don’t give a hoot what the students do as long as it doesn’t threaten their positions, their paychecks, their perks, and their pensions.

nk (dbc370)

30. Believe it or not, happyfeet, in the rehab racket they would say that you were triggered to drink.

nk (dbc370)

31. What is strong enough to trigger these overprivileged whelps.

https://pjmedia.com/trending/claim-firm-hired-buzzfeed-verify-steele-dossier-checkered-past-venezuela/

narciso (d1f714)

32. that’s diabolical how they twist everything

happyfeet (28a91b)

33. A copy of the bell curve, losing ground.

narciso (d1f714)

34. There used to be a horse training regimen where you would gently bring them to the ground, restrain them and shoot off fireworks until they stopped being jumpy. Don’t they do something like that with bird dogs as well?

Pinandpuller (16b0b5)

35. But triggering is a real problem for many people — environmental cues can cause them to relieve past trauma *without even realizing it’s happened*. Being an adult doesn’t protect you from that.

I don’t doubt it one bit, aphrael, but where I think a lot of our BS detectors start going off is when these students claim that Charles Murray causes them trauma. Or is it that the photo of Charles Murray reminds them of the visit by Charles Murray which reminds them that someone told them that Charles Murray held abhorrent views (because, let’s face it, probably fewer than 2% of these students have read anything by Murray that can be remotely construed as “controversial”) and that in turn reminds them of some supposed traumatic event in their past?

(Just to be certain, I don’t doubt that there are Middlebury students who really have endured traumatic events in their past. But I am equally sure that many of them haven’t, yet being “a victim” has become so trendy and, yes, celebrated in this day and age that they would strain hard to turn what was traditionally seen as a run-of-the-mill kerfuffle into their own personal trauma.)

JVW (42615e)

36. She sounds like my 8-year-old when she skins her knee.

Whenever my kids used to overreact, I would put my hands to my cheeks, and exclaimed in the most dramatic fashion:

“Oh the humanity! The humanity!”

(I explained to them this was a reference to a famous radio announcement of the Hindeburg blowing up. See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F54rqDh2mWA )

Bored Lawyer (998177)

37. At my old hometown college one of the professors had a mentally disturbed son living in Oregon. The kid drove overnight nonstop to his dad’s house. When he arrived he stabbed his stepmom to death. After leaving her he went to his dad’s classroom, burst in the back and shot him with a crossbow. Then he proceeded to finish the job with the knife.

Now that’s triggering.

Pinandpuller (16b0b5)

38. Do you think that maybe General Jack D. Ripper was right? That they are putting something into our water?

nk (dbc370)

39. But triggering is a real problem for many people — environmental cues can cause them to relieve past trauma *without even realizing it’s happened*. Being an adult doesn’t protect you from that.

aphrael (3f0569) — 3/8/2018 @ 10:49 am

Or it’s just a really great excuse to fast forward through commercials.

Pinandpuller (16b0b5)

40. 23 — how did society ever manage to survive this long before the great awakening led to the understanding that this threat to mental well-being existed.

How did my father-in-law manage to return and not live out his next 50 years in a small garage with no windows, after having survived 26 days in the jungles of Burma after being shot down in WWII, where he and his co-pilot had to kill a handful of Japanese soldiers in hand-to-hand combat in order to survive?

How did he avoid crashing his plane into the ground over the next 45 years that he flew in both the service and after retirement when “triggered”?

How did he raise 3 daughters, buy a great retirement home in Lake Tahoe, and like out his life skiing, hiking, and spending time on the Lake in the summer, as well as flying his own plane to destinations all across the US to meet other WWII vets?

A picture of someone who has different political views than your’s?

Grow the fook up.

The world is full of “triggers”. Life is long. Get used to them.

shipwreckedcrew (56b591)

41. the photo of Charles Murray reminds them of the visit by Charles Murray which reminds them that someone told them that Charles Murray held abhorrent views (because, let’s face it, probably fewer than 2% of these students have read anything by Murray that can be remotely construed as “controversial”) and that in turn reminds them of some supposed traumatic event in their past?

Trauma on par with three days of shelling huddled in a trench at the battle of the Somme.

:O

papertiger (c8116c)

42. To send a daughter to college or not: that’s the question for today’s parents.

My early ’70s college days were some of the best days and nights of my life, and I got a pretty darn good liberal arts undergraduate education that has proved to be worth 10×10 the time and expence, but times have changed and not for the better.

Today, I wouldn’t waste my time or money in one of the left’s indoctrination camps. There isn’t enough sex, booze, pot, or promises of future employment in unionized government bureaucracy to justify the chronic cognitive dissonance inherent in 4 years of programed propaganda at Brainwash U.

ropelight (6e3a0c)

43. hf @28– That’s a lot of fuss. Try this: 1 qt Jack Daniels; 1 glass (could be optional); 2 fingers (need not be adjacent, depending on events). Repeat as necessary. Don’t drive or operate machinery.

Faster, none of that evil fat from the cream, no electricity needed.

Gramps (cecc77)

44. Of coyrse, this is not real.

The idea that people are hurt by words or pictures or speakers being present was invented as an excuse for censorship.

In order to deny this causes problems, or to say that it shouldn’t, you pretty much have to dispute the point of view that is being asserted. You can’t be neutral, because to be neutral is to basoically agree with the censorship.

Sammy Finkelman (02a146)

45. Aren’t these the same people who insist that violent movies and video games don’t influence or make people do bad stuff?

Pinandpuller (16b0b5)

46. They’re triggered . . . by a photo?

What babies.

Nobody is a baby.

This is a lie.

A lie nobody can disagree with without winning the argument.

Sammy Finkelman (02a146)

47. Don’t drink Jack, those Tennessee heathens run good bourbon whiskey through a pile of freshly burned charcoal which contaminates otherwise fine liquor with the aweful taste of lye.

ropelight (6e3a0c)

48. JVW — sure. claiuming that a picture of Murray causes trauma is absurd (unless the person making the claim has been abused by Murray or someone who Murray’s physical presence strongly reminds them of).

My objection is to the claim that adults don’t get triggered. They do.

Shipwreckedcrew — i’m quite certain that PTSD existed before the last quarter century. There’s ample evidence in historical literature of people behaving in ways that today we would understand to be a result of PTSD.

I don’t know what your father did or didn’t experience. I *do know* that different people respond to trauma differently; the same events have different impacts on different people depending on their individual backgrounds. I also know that there are a lot of apparently-to-others high-functioning people with PTSD who suffer terribly and never talk about it, and that was more common in earlier generations.

> A picture of someone who has different political views than your’s?

> Grow the fook up.

As someone who experiences PTSD from childhood abuse, and who can in the presence of certain environmental stimuli re-experience that abuse, and who is spending an enormous amount of effort *and money* trying to develop ways of handling such situations better than I currently do, and also as someone who has talked to you for a long time and generally has a great deal of respect for you:

Go fook yourself. It isn’t as easy or as simple as you make it out to be, and your dismissive disrespect means nothing to me but it would actively harm anyone close to you who was *trying* to overcome it.

aphrael (3f0569)

49. @16: You really don’t understand Patterico if you think this is remotely true. This is so stupid, it staggers imagination.

So, the host doesn’t believe someone who “praised mass murder” is trigger-worthy. Is that your point? Because, if it is, it “is so stupid, it staggers imagination.”

random viking (6a54c2)

50. i think there’s a lot to be said for being triggered quietly

i mean there’s really no reason to inform anybody when you’re triggered is there

happyfeet (28a91b)

51. Faster, none of that evil fat from the cream, no electricity needed.

i tend to agree Mr. Gramps but I been doing my carb thing where i don’t eat carbs

and drinking is ok cause of most of your base liquors are carb free but it’s still not really in the spirit of the thing

so i been doing a martini series featuring stuff I don’t probably get enough of in my carb free meals like calciums and healthy banana molecules and cocoa

happyfeet (28a91b)

52. feet, the days are warm and sunny here in SW Florida, so the Gin and Tonic with a healthy squeeze of Lime juice is a natural. Plus it helps keep the malaria down, skeervie too.

ropelight (6e3a0c)

53. yes yes i’m a huge fan of the spanish gin and tonic

this bar here called Sable makes a specialty of them – i think they have four of them they do, and three of the four i really enjoy

i think the fourth one folds in some cayenne and it’s just not as enchanting as the others, probably cause it reminds me of those snotty cold-pressed juice bars

happyfeet (28a91b)

54. plus i love the big ass goblet it comes in

happyfeet (28a91b)

55. If media attention is a greater contribution to future mass shooters than mental health then surely there is a trickle down effect to mass protesters. Or at least future David Hogg’s who survived looking at Charles Murray’s picture.

Pinandpuller (16b0b5)

56. holy mother of anorexia Jared Leto and Natalie Portman both need a sandwich

separate sandwiches you can’t just let them split one

happyfeet (28a91b)

57. i think the way they glorify turds like David Hogg makes it a lot less likely someone will want to do a school shooting and thereby elevate Hogg-like turds to media stardom

happyfeet (28a91b)

58. Well that is the point, apparel it minimizes real issues of trauma.

narciso (d1f714)

59. So, the host doesn’t believe someone who “praised mass murder” is trigger-worthy. Is that your point? Because, if it is, it “is so stupid, it staggers imagination.”

You can’t possibly be as stupid as you come off online. Had the students been “triggered” by a picture of Trump, Patterico would have been just as derisive of them. I would bet my next paycheck on it.

I know your game, viking: you gripe at Patterico. You gripe when he praises Trump. You gripe when he criticizes Trump. And you gripe when he criticizes someone other than Trump.

Chuck Bartowski (bc1c71)

60. She sounds like my 8-year-old when she skins her knee.

“Oh the humanity! The humanity!”

Bored Lawyer (998177) — 3/8/2018 @ 11:37 am

A lot of kids don’t even know they are hurt until mom goes crazy. They learn what elicits a response from adults and act accordingly.

Pinandpuller (16b0b5)

61. Anthony Borges is going after the school district seeing as even Miramar police put obstacles in the way.

narciso (d1f714)

62. Shipwreckedcrew — i’m quite certain that PTSD existed before the last quarter century. There’s ample evidence in historical literature of people behaving in ways that today we would understand to be a result of PTSD.

Absolutely true. They used to call it “shell shock” or “battle fatigue”. It’s been known about since the Civil War.

Chuck Bartowski (bc1c71)

63. Grow the fook up.

shipwreckedcrew (56b591) — 3/8/2018 @ 11:49 am

Your FIL was smart enough to avoid a boat ride on Lake Tahoe from Michael Corleone. Triggered!

Pinandpuller (16b0b5)

64. Amazon has a show called The Crimson Field where they kinda go over the top in their portrayal but it’s well-meant and good-spirited with lovely production values

i never finished it cause it has that bbc-meets-lifetime stink on it like that call the midwife crap – and some of that stuff is quite wonderful (home fires) but this one just felt contrived to me

During 1917, “shell shock” was entirely banned as a diagnosis in the British Army, and mentions of it were censored, even in medical journals.

happyfeet (28a91b)

65. over the top in their portrayal of shell shock victims i mean

happyfeet (28a91b)

66. Don’t drink Jack, those Tennessee heathens run good bourbon whiskey through a pile of freshly burned charcoal which contaminates otherwise fine liquor with the aweful taste of lye.

ropelight (6e3a0c) — 3/8/2018 @ 12:22 pm

George Dickel is more or less just down the road from Jack Daniels. Maybe he made a wrong turn.

Looking up Tullahoma I thought this was kind of funny

Tullahoma was then little more than a rough outpost, with no paved streets. 1863 was a wet year, and the place became known to the bedraggled troops of both sides as a place of endless mud. An aide on Confederate General William Hardee’s staff is said to have written his own account of the origin of the name: “It is from two Greek words – ‘Tulla’ meaning mud, and ‘Homa,’ meaning more mud.” The selection of Tullahoma as a headquarters by Confederate General Braxton Bragg has been much criticized by military historians. Although the location was strategic with regard to the road and rail network, it had no strong natural defenses and little was done to fortify it during Bragg’s occupation. Eventually the town was evacuated without a battle.

No trigger needed.

wiki

Pinandpuller (16b0b5)

67. Amazon has a show called The Crimson Field where they kinda go over the top in their portrayal but it’s well-meant and good-spirited with lovely production values

happyfeet (28a91b) — 3/8/2018 @ 1:27 pm

Actually I think that may be BBC uploaded to Amazon. Starring Charlie Chaplain’s hot not a commie lover granddaughter.

Pinandpuller (16b0b5)

68. ooh i didn’t know about the chaplain thing

happyfeet (28a91b)

69. Chuck, I praise Patterico as much as he praises Trump, and more often than Trump has ever “praised mass murder.”

If the host truly believes that about Trump, yet doesn’t believe him trigger-worthy then yes, some kind of game is going on.

random viking (6a54c2)

70. here this is an adorbs no-spoilers clip from last night’s Magicians

happyfeet (28a91b)

71. She’s also in a Scott Eastwood Britt Robertson movie The Longest Ride. It’s not bad. Alan Alda is in it as well. He’s kind of getting in Hal Holbrook territory if you know what I mean.

Oona Chaplin if you are playing along at home. I think I did one too many “a’s” on Charlie.

Pinandpuller (16b0b5)

72. Oona is a great actress and a nice looking woman and she can’t be more than 10% commie by volume.

Pinandpuller (16b0b5)

73. 49 — agree completely.

I like to drink high end bourbons, but I don’t like to pay for them.

So when I’m just going off the shelf at the grocery story, I stick with George Dickel 12. Not technically a bourbon because it comes from Tennessee like JD, but you will find it hard to find another 12 year aged “bourbon” at a comparable price — I normally get if for $16 a bottle.

shipwreckedcrew (56b591)

74. I was just looking up Geraldine Chaplin because I forgot she was in Doctor Zhivago and not John Derek’s Bolero. Her mom was CC’s 4th wife Oona (thus the namesake).

Oh, mr nk, she’s in 2017’s Philip K. Dick’s Electric Dreams. What’s up with that?

Pinandpuller (16b0b5)

75. I’ve always been from the Patton school of thought regarding PTSD. Slap their helmet and banish them form the sick tent.

First day of kindergarten this one kid cried the better part of the morning because it was the first time she’d ever been separate from mommy. After an hour it was getting old, so I stood up and in a clear authoritative voice said,

Sack up, councilor. Act like you been here before. And slapped her helmet.

They sent me to the principal’s office, but I swear that little girl stopped crying and from that day forward did more to win recess than any other girl on the playground.

papertiger (c8116c)

76. ‘Safe space…’

Spend some time w/Charles Murray and his second better half discussing a stellar book.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?8440-1

Murray’s characterization of Kurt Debus, well known to space enthusiasts, is utterly priceless. Says Murray: “… a German martinet but a very sweet fellow.” Debus, who ran the Kennedy Space Center, was a member of the Nazi Party and a member of the Sturmabteilung (SA) and Himmler’s SS. Sweet, eh, Chuckie.

DCSCA (797bc0)

77. CC’s generational span (year of lastborn minus year of firstborn child) is 43, exceeding the 39 of Hugh Hefner, but still not close (55) to Anthony Quinn. DJTs is 29.

urbanleftbehind (c60c51)

78. here this is an adorbs no-spoilers clip from last night’s Magicians

happyfeet (28a91b) — 3/8/2018 @ 1:40 pm

That could trigger any living Glee stars to download bad pictures to their computers and lead to mass suicide.

Pinandpuller (16b0b5)

79. CC’s generational span (year of lastborn minus year of firstborn child) is 43, exceeding the 39 of Hugh Hefner, but still not close (55) to Anthony Quinn. DJTs is 29.

urbanleftbehind (c60c51) — 3/8/2018 @ 2:15 pm

Some might say Trump is still in the game. Clint Eastwood might still be in the game. He’s not going to outlive his child support if he scores another goal.

Pinandpuller (16b0b5)

80. it’s like you see right through me

happyfeet (28a91b)

81. What is it with the so called anti fascists embracing communism so hard core? Not all of them get to live the rest of their life in the tranquil Swiss Alps.

Pinandpuller (16b0b5)

82. From your mouth to Hemprope.com happyfeet.

Pinandpuller (16b0b5)

83. happyfeet (28a91b) — 3/8/2018 @ 1:40 pm

No, no, no! That’s not music! That’s masturbation. It must be sweeps week – or are they like that all the time?

felipe (023cc9)

84. i’m not sure what to make of it Mr. f I think

i think it’s suggesting something about a millennial penchant for eclecticism

but i have no way to validate that

happyfeet (28a91b)

85. Happyfeet, just watch Fame again and that should clue you in.

felipe (023cc9)

86. His singles haven’t fared as well, with only Tip Toe Wing In My Jawwdinz scraping a chart high of 124.

make it stop

happyfeet (28a91b)

87. Fame i thought was one of the bastard children of the Saturday Night Fever

happyfeet (28a91b)

88. The problem with Magician’s is they never learned this valuable lesson.

felipe (023cc9)

89. David Bowie’s ghost! That clip is triggering.

papertiger (c8116c)

90. happyfeet (28a91b) — 3/8/2018 @ 2:37 pm

I heard that, too. The thing about bastards is that you nay never know who the Father is, but you well know the mother!

felipe (023cc9)

91. see now that’s why I can’t take any of those nancy boys seriously when they complain about Repub campaigns using their music.

papertiger (c8116c)

92. Interesting thing about oona chaplain (played by winona Ryder in the film)
    Jd salinger, had a thing for her.

narciso (d1f714)

93. A Democrat seeking a U.S. House seat in Illinois – who attracted attention for a campaign ad showing him smoking pot – now faces accusations that he has abused women and misleadingly described himself as an “Iraq veteran” and “former FBI agent.”

Benjamin Thomas Wolf, who is running in the Democratic primary against incumbent U.S. Rep. Mike Quigley, came under fire after an ex-girlfriend alleged he acted abusively and intentionally revealed her name and home address on social media, a practice called “doxing.”

“He actually hit me, threw me to the ground, put his foot on my chest. He was really angry. He grabbed my face,” Katarina Coates, who interned for Wolf’s campaign, told Politico.

Trigger Warning: Fox and Friends

Pinandpuller (16b0b5)

94. International Woman of the Decade 1990’s

By the time Murray pulled the ripcord for her reserve, she was only 700 feet from the ground. Adrenaline coursing through her veins caused fear and panic set in, and she didn’t take effective action to prevent herself from spinning. Constant rotation prevented the secondary chute from inflating properly, inevitably leading to a forceful crash landing into a fire ant-breeding mound.

The mini crater-like impact disturbed the territory of some rather angry fire ants. A single sting is painful enough to avoid even in small numbers. It’s important to mention most colonies are dome shaped and generally 250,000+ ants in size. Virtually all members headed straight for our fallen skydiver. The swarm attacked an ‘out of commission’ Joan Murray, leading to shocking results.

Skydiving.com

Pinandpuller (16b0b5)

95. Is your snowflake coming home for the summer? Are they likely to fall out in the floor?

Learn the Ranger Roll

Pinandpuller (16b0b5)

96. http://merionwest.com/2018/02/27/the-breakdown-of-american-culture-an-interview-with-prof-amy-wax/

When I was an undergraduate at Yale in the 1970s, it was nothing like this–absolutely nothing like this. People differed sharply on many political matters and other issues. The Vietnam War was winding down; there was a lot of disagreement, but the discourse and the interaction was far more civil.

People felt the need to back up and justify their points of view. Their positions were not anywhere near as moralized and as polarized as they are now. This whole lexicon, this mindless name-calling of sexism, racism, white supremacy, xenophobia, homophobia – this little recitation that now has become a routine ritual on campus as a substitute for thought, had not really caught on. Now it’s the eight-hundred-pound gorilla that just eats everything.

Sammy Finkelman (02a146)

97. OT — very strong signal given today that a second special counsel is soon to be on the way.

In an earlier interview AG Sessions says that he has assigned a DOJ veteran FROM OUTSIDE WASHINGTON to review all the allegations and recommendations made by various Legislative branch members and Committees on matters involving DOJ and FBI misconduct. Upon release of the IG investigation, and based on the report and recommendation of this outside reviewer, Sessions will make a decision on what path to take.

The first knee-jerk reaction would be that he’s tasked someone in New York to undertake this review.

But this is Jeff Sessions from Alabama, not a former member of the Bush Presidency DOJ out of some New York law firm and Ivy League school. My guess would be that Sessions met discreetly with someone like Ted Cruz, and came up with a list of DOJ veterans from a state in the South or West — maybe someone from Texas — with no significant connections to the DOJ power structure in DC or NY.

The appointment of a second special counsel will set up a very interesting dynamic in terms of the relationship with Mueller’s group. Some of the group supporting Mueller’s operation, especially in the FBI, is going to fall under scrutiny. Anyone that overlapped the Clinton email investigation and the Russiagate investigation, is going to have to be cut loss by Mueller.

But potentially more explosive is the fact that former DOJ officials who count among the their friends members of Mueller’s attorney staff, are going to on the receiving end of Special Counsel No. 2’s scrutiny. It will be interesting to see how Andrew Weissman reacts to the fact that his good friends James Comey and Sally Yates become Special Counsel targets, and get the benefit of exactly the kind of treatment he so relishes handing out in his current job.

shipwreckedcrew (56b591)

98. Ah, a new plot twist! Will “American” replace “Byzantine” in the dictionary for devious bureaucratic intrigues, I wonder.

nk (dbc370)

99. Perhaps current users of the Devil’s Tool Twitter should take this as a sign of a need for some introspection…

“FIRST AMENDMENT NOT WELCOME AT TWITTER? Not if you are tweeting in defense of unborn babies, it appears. Live Action founder and president Lila Rose says Twitter has blocked her and her advocacy group “from all advertising and promotion.”

https://pjmedia.com/instapundit/first-amendment-not-welcome-at-twitter-not-if-you-are-tweeting-in-defense-of-unborn-babies-it-appe/

Colonel Haiku (2601c0)

100. “Interesting thing about oona chaplain (played by winona Ryder in the film)
    Jd salinger, had a thing for her.”

narciso (d1f714) — 3/8/2018 @ 2:53 pm

He ain’t the only one… https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aYDfwUJzYQg

Colonel Haiku (2601c0)

101. Mr. President is being sued for blocking trolls on his Twitter, and the case is before Clinton appointee Naomi Reice Buchwald who realizes the suit is frivolous but just can’t bring herself to rule against her tribe. I don’t like him, and I don’t like Twitter, but I like bullsh!t First Amendment lawsuits even less. http://money.cnn.com/2018/03/08/media/donald-trump-twitter-block-lawsuit/index.html

nk (dbc370)

102. i heard using twitter gives you hepatitis

happyfeet (28a91b)

103. wait

i might could be getting twitter mixed up with public transportation

happyfeet (28a91b)

104. Hair loss. Twitter causes hair loss.

nk (dbc370)

105. While national crime rates have recently fallen, crimes committed by women have risen 200 percent, yet we continue to transform female violence into victimhood by citing PMS, battered wife syndrome, and postpartum depression as sources of women’s actions.
    When She Was Bad convincingly overturns these perceptions by telling the stories of such women as Karla Faye Tucker, who was recently executed for having killed two people with a pickax; Dorothea Puente, who murdered several elderly tenants in her boarding house; and Aileen Wuornos, a Florida woman who shot seven men. Patricia Pearson marshals a vast amount of research and statistical support from criminologists, anthropologists, psychiatrists, and sociologists, and includes many revealing interviews with dozens of men and women in the criminal justice system who have firsthand experience with violent women. When She Was Bad is a fearless and superbly written call to reframe our ideas about female violence and, by extension, female power.

Amazon but save and click thru the widget if you buy it

Pinandpuller (16b0b5)

106. Our country needs to address the education establishment and clean house. They are destroying our culture and our ability to compete in the future.

Rev.Hoagie (1b0402) — 3/8/2018 @ 9:55 am

Truer words have never been written.

Colonel Haiku (2601c0)

107. Pinandpuller, yes, horses are easily triggered and you can train it out of them. Unless of course you are the Trigger, who was stuffed and put in the Roy Rogers Museum. Now that’s one bomb proof horse, he won’t spook over anything.

Allen (5f3847)

108. Tucker Carlson had an excellent portion of his show last night talking about the war on young men and males, in general. He showed a clip of Jordan Peterson weighing in on the issue. Must See TV.

Colonel Haiku (2601c0)

109. nk (dbc370) — 3/8/2018 @ 5:35 pm

However the judge decides, it will be known as the “Ben Burn ruling.”

felipe (023cc9)

110. Back on topic. Here’s a little information about Middlebury College:
    — It has a $1.1 billion endowment
    — It has an academic staff of 331 for … wait for it …
    — 2,526 undergraduates
    That’s fewer than 8 students per academician. I don’t know how much administrative staff.

Now, if you have not surmised from this that the primary purpose of this place is to provide jobs for academic drones, and they could not care less what the students do as long as they provide them with a pretext for the college’s continued existence, then I have not taught you anything.

nk (dbc370)

111. They say the fittest shall survive… yet teh unfit may live.

Colonel Haiku (2601c0)

112. The fittest for their environment. You can grow anything in a hothouse.

nk (dbc370)

113. It has a good foreign languages dept, its most fanousalum Is probably Ron brown, but they are certifiable.

narciso (d1f714)

114. Reading the posts here today I have come to the conclusion that trigger warnings, like most things leftists indulge their faux compassion and limitless guilt on are nothing more than a psychological disorder and should be treated as such. We have allowed every neurosis and now psychosis propagated by the left to become the cultural norm. This crap is unhealthy and has to stop. The left is driving Americans especially younger Americans into mental and emotional wrecks. They are teaching our kids dysfunction.

Rev.Hoagie (1b0402)

115. I was with you up until I realized this is the man wrote The Bell Curve, which is a @#$%ing appalling book predicated on flimsy, racist science. Yeah, now the offense makes quite a bit more sense.

TR (2c5752)

116. Actually he was critical with right and left sides of the curve, he also challenged welfare policy with losing ground:

https://babalublog.com/2018/03/08/1983-reagan-and-the-evil-empire/

narciso (d1f714)

117. Young people who work at jobs that pay $20 or less an hour will be automated right out of employment. Why are Democrats so hellbent on importing millions of under-educated people that gravitate to those jobs and who will become a burden on our society? And why are so many of our young people unable to see the writing on the wall. There’s no quality of life in their future unless they smarten up about limited resources and the need to keep immigration merit-based.

Why? It’s because what Hoagie wrote earlier is spot on… they’ve been indoctrinated by tenured assholes and public school teachers that don’t teach, they indoctrinate.

Colonel Haiku (2601c0)

118. Triggers, as most of you will agree, exist. PTSD exists. That said, there is no rational basis to believe that a photograph in an article can be any kind of significant trigger. Anyone that easily triggered would be unable to function outside the home. These students, and many progressives, have coopted something serious and real, turning it into a joke. This is sad.

Getting upset at something is not the same as being triggered when you’re talking about PTSD. In cases of real PTSD, “suck it up buttercup” is not the way to go. I know people here understand that. What they’re ridiculing, and rightly so, are the snowflakes who use the word “trigger” to silence things that they don’t like. Clinically, they are treated differently, but in a practical sense, slapping the back of their head is likely just as effective.

I guess it’s good I’m not working with them. I would probably lose my license.

Stashiu3 (466cdf)

119. Reading the posts here today I have come to the conclusion that trigger warnings, like most things leftists indulge their faux compassion and limitless guilt on are nothing more than a psychological disorder and should be treated as such. We have allowed every neurosis and now psychosis propagated by the left to become the cultural norm. This crap is unhealthy and has to stop. The left is driving Americans especially younger Americans into mental and emotional wrecks. They are teaching our kids dysfunction.

Rev.Hoagie (1b0402) — 3/8/2018 @ 6:46 pm

Well said Hoagie.

Real PTSD is a serious disorder that takes time and effort to eliminate.

Coddling our young and not so young and teaching them that disagreement equals pain does not benefit society. People need to be taught to disagree and develop their thoughts. By sheltering them we are raising a generation of infants incapable of adapting to the real world. Trigger warnings do nothing by infantilize the next generation of humanity.

NJRob (b00189)

120. It is the kind of book that egalitarians would hate.

nk (dbc370)

121. In a just society with long term vision and the will to survive, these educators would be given three choices:

1) to immediately cease and desist with the political indoctrination of our young and begin doing what they were hired to do, or… a choice between
    2) death by lethal injection
    3) death by a high caliber bullet to the back of their head

Colonel Haiku (2601c0)

122. Col H, Gab claims to be what Twitter should be.

nk, that faculty student ratio may not be too far out of line. My alma mater (Emory) says it has 550 faculty members and about 5600 undergrad students: not quite 1:10. There’s also a School of Business with both grad and undergrad students. Undergrads are part of Emory College for the first two years and then switch for the last two years to the SoB. Also Oxford College, in Oxford GA, where traditionally kids not smart enough to be admitted directly to Emory spend the first two years, get an Associate degree and then enroll for junior and senior years at the main campus and a standard Bachelor degree. I didn’t check their figures. The endowmentent would not be a valid comparison, since Emory has Schools of Law, Medicine, Nursing, Public Health, and Theology.

Kishnevi (c62fd3)

123. @ 51: So, the host doesn’t believe someone who “praised mass murder” is trigger-worthy. Is that your point?

@ 72: If the host truly believes that about Trump, yet doesn’t believe him trigger-worthy then yes, some kind of game is going on.

Random Viking, your argument makes no sense whatsoever. Look at it this way: When you see a picture of Hitler, or Stalin, or Mao, do you feel “triggered”? No, of course you don’t. Neither do I, and neither does our host, or any halfway normal person. And those are men who didn’t just praise mass murder — they committed it.

Patterico’s entire point in this post is that, seeing a picture of an evil person (not that Charles Murray is evil, of course, but the campus liberals think he is) is not enough to “trigger” any rational, mature, emotionally stable human being. That’s why he mocks the triggered students of Middlebury. So your suggestion that Patterico is somehow being inconsistent, or playing some sort of “game,” just doesn’t hold up.

gwjd (032bef)

124. Stashiu3, I’m a veteran too and I understand the impact PTSD has on vets. Many of my Vietnam brothers have problems with actual psychological flashbacks which can be triggered by many different things. But coddled kids in private schools who have zero experience at anything don’t get triggered by a picture of Murray, a statue of Robert E. Lee or a person singing the anthem.

I was fortunate Stashiu3 in that I never had PTSD or anything like it. That said I’ve been involved for years at the VFW and other veterans organizations to help my friends who were not as lucky. I will continue as long as I can. Real triggers are serious sh!t and should not be confused with hissy fits thrown by immature uncontrolled adolescents.

Rev.Hoagie (1b0402)

125. Isn’t that a little harsh, Haiku? Why don’t we just reduce the number of admissions to public colleges and universities by 75%; and get rid of all government funding, whether by grants, scholarships or loans, to the private ones? Educate our best at public expense, and let those whose parents can afford it waste their time and their youth any way they want?

nk (dbc370)

126. I read something about Dixie State University the other day on a different blog. I just looked into it because that seemed a little weird in this day and age. I guess Brigham Young called that part of the Territory “Utah’s Dixie”. It went thru a couple of iterations but settled on that name somewhat recently.

To mr nk’s point, the university has 8,993 students and 423 faculty which rounds down to 21 to one. I guess they work a little harder there. I don’t know if it’s significant but they claim a 100% acceptance rate. It is a state school after all.

It’s close to the high school where that kid tried to ignite an IED for ISIS. I guess there are quite a few Muslims in that area now, no doubt worrying about backlash.

Pinandpuller (16b0b5)

127. Yes seeing for example a children’s hagiography of Mao, I saw on remainder tables is triggering as is a Che guevata t shirt, one this modern generation is more likely to applaud red mole corbyn and act all body snatcher toward the iron lady

narciso (d1f714)

128. The endowmentent would not be a valid comparison, since Emory has Schools of Law, Medicine, Nursing, Public Health, and Theology.

Kishnevi (c62fd3) — 3/8/2018 @ 7:10 pm

Do you know anyone on the Emory Board?

Pinandpuller (16b0b5)

129. Do you know why the girl got kicked out of the pool at Dixie State University?

She got a hole in the knee of her swimsuit.

Pinandpuller (16b0b5)

130. P&P, I sort of remember this guy. He was a year behind me, but he worked on the college newspaper at the same time I did.
    http://secretary.emory.edu/board_of_trustees/current_board/tanzman.html

Mind you, I have never given a dime as alumni donation (my excuse for that is Jimmy Carter) nor stepped foot on campus since the day I graduated in 1980.
    But if you have a specific question you can email me at kishnevi atsymbol yahoo dotcom.

Kishnevi (c62fd3)

131. Kishnevi,

I think he was making a pun about emery boards. 😉

Stashiu3 (466cdf)

132. Narciso migut be interested to know Facundo Barcadi is also a trustee: he got his JD at Emory.

Kishnevi (c62fd3)

133. I think I used that joke before but you probably weren’t reading regularly Stashiu3.

Pinandpuller (16b0b5)

134. Oh, I got it P&P, just pointing it out to Kish. 🙂

Stashiu3 (466cdf)

135. Well Patterico is not necessarily the only parent with a kid who is gearing up for college.

Kishnevi (c62fd3)

136. college is good for when you wanna learn about photosynthesis

cause there’s quiet places where you can read

happyfeet (28a91b)

137. Rum and coke, remember what we call that concoction.

narciso (d1f714)

138. Narciso, I assume you know how important Coke is in Emory history.

Kishnevi (c62fd3)

139. Yes and you know the certain daughter of a bacardi exec, sra espin and what she went on to.

narciso (d1f714)

140. In a just society with long term vision and the will to survive, these educators would be given three four choices:

2) death by lethal injection
    4) reduce the number of admissions to public colleges and universities by 75%; and get rid of all government funding, whether by grants, scholarships or loans, to the private ones.

Colonel Haiku (2601c0)

141. Narciso, I dimly recall. But I drink Havana Club right now.

Kishnevi (c62fd3)

142. It’s close to the high school where that kid tried to ignite an IED for ISIS. I guess there are quite a few Muslims in that area now, no doubt worrying about backlash.

Pinandpuller (16b0b5) — 3/8/2018 @ 7:16 pm

I would be surprised if there are that many Muslims in the area. Southern Utah and Northern Arizona is God’s Country. The spectacular scenery has to be seen to be believed.

Colonel Haiku (2601c0)

143. 148
    PP must be really scared…

Kishnevi (c62fd3)

144. Three good question, wonder why nobody highlighted them, the first was kind of prescient

https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/curtis-houck/2018/03/06/lefties-melt-down-over-trump-calling-daily-caller-reporter-press

narciso (d1f714)

145. You know, I think the Farrakhan 7 provided Steve King goes out at the same time is a fair trade. Franken kept his word though he took it to last seconds.

urbanleftbehind (c60c51)

146. What Keith Allison is going to step down, right tell me another one?

narciso (d1f714)

147. Palmetto:
    One ounce of Bacardi
    One ounce of dry vermouth
    Three drops of bitters
    Ice cubes
    Stir

nk (dbc370)

148. Mr Kishnevi

To make up for my bad pun I have a quick story that involves music and local Atlanta flavor that you might appreciate.

There’s a semi-famous guitar player named Steve Morse. He had his own group called The Dixie Dregs but as mr narciso might say he was the Ted McGinley of Deep Purple and Kansas.

He lived in the Atlanta area and one day decided to become a commercial pilot. He not only did that, he got a regular job with a big airline in Atlanta. He had a special guitar made so every day when he was commuting to work in his VW Rabbit he could steer with his knees and practice his scales and such.

He was so nutty he would actually practice guitar during the drum solo when a guitar player should be chilling out.

Pinandpuller (16b0b5)

149. I’m rereading this book from a guy called Peter Viertel, recounting his adventures with Ernest Hemingway and John Huston. He just mentioned this drink I’ve never heard of that they served at The Ritz. That’s in Paris. I’ve heard of that.

Vermouth Cassis

3 ounces vermouth — French vermouth
    1/2 ounce creme de cassis
    club soda
    Collins glass

Instructions:
    Pour the vermouth and crème de cassis into a Collins glass, then add 2 or 3 ice cubes and top off with club soda or seltzer to taste.

Note: Some authorities insist that a true Pompier is in fact made not with crème de cassis — a low-proof, sticky liqueur made from black currants — but with strawberry syrup. That may be so, but we like it fine this way. Authenticity is a good thing only until it forces you to do book research on the drinking habits of pre-World War I French firemen. And besides, strawberry syrup? Nah.

Pinandpuller (3131f0)

150. Colleges have really gone full Mao, haven’t they? I don’t know how they are going to come back from this.

Patricia (3363ec)

151. i’m very excited to try the vermouth cassis

i like creme de cassis with ice cream and papaya for sure but this is one of those drinks where you get to use super-fun stemware

it’s not a today thing but I think when I go visit my friends D and B I might take this over and make it along with my cardamom-dusted creamy celery martini

happyfeet (28a91b)

152. the palmetto looks elegant too i’d like to have that at sparrow next time i go cause that’s a rum-forward bar i really like – i’m emailing that one to my phone

happyfeet (28a91b)

153. Nitro cold brew

mg (9e54f8)

154. Now Pamela Geller’s children are being boycotted and lost their gigs, although they never connected themselves with their mother, and only incidentally seemed to agree with her a few years ago.

Sammy Finkelman (02a146)

Powered by WordPress.

Page loaded in: 0.1297 secs.