11/13/2017

New Allegations Against Roy Moore

Filed under: Uncategorized — Dana @ 12:58 pm

[guest post by Dana]

Beverly Young Nelson claims that when she was a teenager, Roy Moore sexually assaulted her. In a news conference with Gloria Allred, who stated that Nelson reached out to her, Moore’s latest accuser shared the story of her encounter with Moore.

Nelson describes her first encounters when she was 15 years old working as a waitress at a local restaurant after school.

She said Moore, DA of Etowah County, was a regular customer where he would often pull the ends of her hair as she passed by and complimented the young girl’s looks.

“I did nothing to encourage this behavior,” said Nelson, adding “I did not respond to any of Mr. Moore’s flirtatious behavior.”

She said that at the time of the encounters she had a boyfriend and was “not intersted in having a dating or sexual relationship with a man twice my age.”

Nelson went on, describing another incident in which Moore signed a school yearbook of hers when she was 16.

“He wrote in my yearbook as follows: ‘To a sweeter more beautiful girl, I could not say merry christmas, Christmas, 1977, Love Roy Moore, old hickory house. Roy Moore, DA.'”

She said after the incident, Moore had offered to drive Nelson home after work, during which she alleges he forced himself on Nelson and groped her in a locked car.

“I trusted Mr. Moore because he was district attorney, I thought he was doing something nice to offer to drive me home,” said Nelson.

She detailed her fighting off Moore in the car as he squeezed her neck, forcing her head onto his crotch.

She said that Moore eventually gave up, and told her, “You’re just a child and he said I’m the district attorney if you tell anyone about this no one will ever believe you.”

Nelson further claimed:

“Moore was an adult, much older than I was, I knew he was the DA. I didn’t know what that meant, but I knew he was an important person and I would treat him with respect.”

According to Allred, Nelson has not been in touch with the other four women who have made allegations against Moore, nor have they been in touch with her. Also, Nelson and her husband are Republicans who supported Donald Trump in the election, and Nelson claims that this has nothing to do with Republicans or a Democrats. Nelson said that she told her sister, her mother (4 years ago), and then soon-to-be husband of the alleged incident.

About why she waited so long to come forward:

I thought I was his only victim. I would’ve taken this to my grave if not for the courage of 4 other brave women. I want Mr. Moore to know he no longer has any power over me, and I no longer live in fear of him.

Allred said that Nelson would like the Senate Judiciary Committee to call a public hearing about Moore’s accusations, saying that Nelson is willing to appear and testify under oath if such a hearing takes place.

Moore’s senate campaign released this statement in response to the latest allegations:

“Gloria Allred is a sensationalist leading a witch hunt, and she is only around to create a spectacle. Allred was the attorney who claims credit for giving us Roe v. Wade which has resulted in the murder of tens of millions of unborn babies,” campaign chairman Bill Armistead said in a statement.

“We’ve said this before and we’ll say it again: Judge Moore is an innocent man and has never had any sexual misconduct with anyone. This is a witch hunt against a man who has had an impeccable career for over 30 years and has always been known as a man of high character.”

–Dana

11 Comments »

1. The allegations are deeply revolting; not only is it sexual assault, it’s sexual assault of a minor AND abuse of office.

On the flip side, if this woman is credible, why on earth reach out to an utter disgrace like Gloria Aldred? That sets off my BS meter.

Comment by Arizona CJ — 11/13/2017 @ 2:49 pm

2. I don’t disagree re Allred, however, if you were from a hole in the wall town in the south, who else would you know about that could have the sort of reach she does?

Comment by Dana — 11/13/2017 @ 9:02 pm

3. Dana, I respectfully disagree;

Before this story broke, I think your point might be valid. However, under the current circumstances, the accuser could have approached any major media outlet, and they would have jumped at the story. Instead, she chose a discredited hack like Aldred? I can think of few better ways for her to impeach her own credibility.

Comment by Arizona CJ — 11/14/2017 @ 11:22 am

4. How likely is it that she knows that Allred is a discredited hack? :)

Comment by aphrael — 11/14/2017 @ 12:02 pm

5. I think any regular person about to go public in a high-profile sex/political story, especially a national story, would want a spokesman/attorney who won’t be overwhelmed or intimidated by the publicity. How many people are known for handling high-profile sex cases, other than Allred? I can’t think of any.

Comment by DRJ — 11/14/2017 @ 1:43 pm

6. @ aphrael,

If the accuser is concerned enough to engage a lawyer/publicist, I think it’s likely she’s also concerned enough to spend 30 seconds on google. I think it’ is very likely that the accuser knows Aldred is a discredited hack – and thus retaining her speaks volumes. :)

@ DRJ,
    If a person is so concerned that the decide to retain a lawyer, I’d think that the first criteria would be to find one actually licensed to practice law in your state. A person might also prefer one whose retention does not undermine her own veracity.

Comment by Arizona CJ — 11/14/2017 @ 2:12 pm

7. I think the first concern is hiring someone who has the skills you need. Who else is there that has experience representing alleged sex assault/harassment victims as a national spokesperson?

Comment by DRJ — 11/14/2017 @ 2:27 pm

8. I think that’s especially true in light of the story about the Alabama legislator who wants victims to be investigated or even charged. Wouldn’t you want an experienced bulldog defending you?

Comment by DRJ — 11/14/2017 @ 2:30 pm

9. > A person might also prefer one whose retention does not undermine her own veracity.

I guess what I’m getting at is, to what degree do you think an average person, who does not live and breathe politics and so isn’t really more than vaguely aware of people like Allred, to what degree do you think it’s reasonable to assume that such a person would *know* that retaining Allred might undermine her veracity?

I think that’s an unreasonable presumption.

Comment by aphrael — 11/14/2017 @ 3:30 pm

10. Aphrael, that’s where I was headed with my comment. It’s reasonable to assume Allred is the go -to in these cases. Interestingly, for both public and non-public figures. Also, I don’t know who would be more tenacious than her.

Again, perfectly reasonable to go with the high-profile woman who is well known.

Comment by Dana — 11/14/2017 @ 3:41 pm

11. Dana, fair enough; I think you and I are broadly in agreement on this one. :)

This whole thing is just horrifying to me. As I said in a main thread, while I’ve never liked Judge Moore, and would certainly never have voted for him, I’d also never have expected *this* of him.

Comment by aphrael — 11/14/2017 @ 5:14 pm