4/1/2017

President Trump’s Social Media Director Targets House Freedom Caucus Member

Filed under: Uncategorized — Dana @ 11:20 am

[guest post by Dana]

President Trump’s social media director and senior adviser, Dan Scavino Jr. went after Rep. Justin Amash this morning:

Untitled

(While President Trump is taking credit for the the $1.2 billion investment by Ford in Michigan announced last week, according to reports, this plan was in place long before President Trump took office.)

Rep. Amash responded with the troubling truth of the matter:

Untitled

Interestingly, it was just a week ago that President Trump messaged that both the Democrats and Freedom Caucus members inhabit the same basket of deplorable opponents:

The president threatened 2018 primary retribution against the conservative House Freedom Caucus, of which Amash is a member, last week after its members opposed the House Republican leadership’s plan to repeal and replace Obamacare.

Trump warned in a tweet that the House Freedom Caucus “will hurt the entire Republican agenda if they don’t get on the team, & fast. We must fight them, & Dems, in 2018!”

Further, in a recent interview, Rep. Mark Sanford (R-SC) claimed that President Trump “sent him” a little message:

Against the backdrop of crumbling negotiations over the GOP bill to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act, President Donald Trump said last week he wanted to oust incumbent U.S. Rep. Mark Sanford in 2018.

The South Carolina Republican told The Post and Courier that Trump chose to convey this message through an intermediary: White House budget chief Mick Mulvaney, a former member of the S.C. congressional delegation, co-founder of the House Freedom Caucus and a friend.

“‘The president asked me to look you square in the eyes and to say that he hoped that you voted ‘no’ on this bill so he could run (a primary challenger) against you in 2018,'” Sanford said Mulvaney told him.

He added that Mulvaney made it clear he did not want to deliver the message but did so at Trump’s insistence.

“I’ve never had anyone, over my time in politics, put it to me as directly as that,” Sanford said, perhaps understating just how monumental it is for a sitting president to openly go after members of his own party.

Although critical of the president, Rep. Sanford claims he is not being antagonistic, but that he “want[s] to help him succeed, because if he succeeds, the Republican congress, and our country by extension, succeeds.”

And about those “negotiating tactics” of President Trump, Rep. Amash had this to say:

It’s constructive in 5th grade. It may allow a child to get his way, but that’s not how our government works.

–Dana

8 Comments »

1. Of course this won’t matter to Trump loyalists.

Comment by Dana — 4/1/2017 @ 11:24 am

2. I’m starting to to think that Patterico is trolling certain people, based on the predictability of responses.

Comment by Simon Jester — 4/1/2017 @ 11:44 am

3. Well, Simon Jester, given that I wrote the post, I can assure you that I am not trolling anyone. If there is a predictable reaction, specific to individuals, it speaks to me as an inability to look objectively and dispassionately at the person who holds the keys to more power and influence than anyone else in our nation. And that is very disturbing because if there is one person whose feet should be continually held to fire, and viewed with immense scrutiny, it’s POTUS. Party affiliation is superfluous. To not be able, or to refuse, to be dispassionate and objective is to open us open to a world of hurt. I try to avoid being the fool.

Comment by Dana — 4/1/2017 @ 12:01 pm

4. Its just amazing how part of the reason to vote for Trump was to attack and upset the establishment, and yet what happens is Trump joins the establishment in attacking the outsiders. Plus, the Trumpalos support it!

I’d like to say I’m shocked, but I’m not.

Comment by Patrick Henry, the 2nd — 4/1/2017 @ 12:44 pm

5. Trumpstablishment. I like it! Far better than Trumpists. Let’s use it in a sentence…

Simon Jester, a card carrying member of the Trumpstablishment, is incapable of viewing the actions of the President with any objectivity.

Yup, works really well.

Comment by Sean — 4/1/2017 @ 4:25 pm

6. Dana, I did not mean offense. I do suggest that many people are just using the same phrases over and over again in support of this weird administration.

It breaks my heart to see people flip flop like invading carp in the Midwest.

I have always asked myself, when I support a politician, what could they do that would make me no longer support them? I would suggest that many people only care about a letter, rather than a person, these days.

In this way, I find the two parties converging. I want to see leaders who stand by their statements and philosophies, and people to hold them accountable to same.

And that is no April Fools’ Joke. Unless it is about all of us these days.

Comment by Simon Jester — 4/1/2017 @ 4:26 pm

7. Oh, no, Simon Jester, I know you didn’t mean to offend me, and none was taken. I felt compelled to respond because a) I wrote the post, and didn’t want anyone not familiar with the site to think it was Patterico, and b) I can’t say it enough: there is something fundamentally wrong when we can no longer objectively critique our elected leaders because we just can’t allow ourselves to see them accurately, lest we see they really do have feet of clay. Idolizing and denying reality as it pertains to those in the power seats do no one any good. Rather, we all suffer in the end.

Comment by Dana — 4/1/2017 @ 5:08 pm

8. Have you heard about the Hatch Act, Mr. Scavino?

The Trump Administration doesn’t care about the law or ethics. That will make it easier for the Democrats to try to use the courts and talking about impeachment to attack him. I don’t think they can succeed but he is reckless enough that they will try, and I hope that keeps Trump from trying to do deals with them.

Comment by DRJ — 4/2/2017 @ 12:36 pm