2/28/2017

Paul Ryan Applauds Trillion-Dollar Infrastructure Plan, Paid Family Leave (Video)

Filed under: Uncategorized — Patterico @ 7:22 pm

Here’s Trump announcing his giant trillion-dollar infrastructure boondoggle. Watch Paul Ryan. He claps.

Here’s Trump proposing a federal program for paid family leave. Again, watch Paul Ryan. He doesn’t want to applaud. He waits to applaud. But he applauds — and even stands up to do so.

I’m not sure how much you can read into applause, but if Paul Ryan can’t resist the pressure to applaud, can he resist the pressure to pass the programs?

[Cross-posted at RedState.]

15 Comments »

1. Ding.

Comment by Patterico — 2/28/2017 @ 7:25 pm

2. They will all fall in line.

Comment by Patterico — 2/28/2017 @ 7:25 pm

3. I absolutely loved the speech – mostly.
    The two items Patterico mentions, I did not.

I’ve never liked the paid family leave thing.

As for the infrastructure proposal, I’m not 100% against it, just 95% or so against. I’m very open to the idea of certain kinds of needed infrastructure; safety repairs to federal bridges that need it being one example. I’m also fine with true revenue-generating projects (funded from their eventual income stream); a needed toll road would be an example. A needed airport expansion would be another. But those kind of projects are few and far between. My fear is that the infrastructure plan will be as catastrophic as Obama’s. However, I’m reserving judgement until I see details.

All in all though, best speech I’ve ever seen Trump give. I was stunned.

Comment by Arizona CJ — 2/28/2017 @ 7:59 pm

4. Arizona CJ – DJT’s fondest wish for “infrastructure” spending is on two NYC tunnels. Any chance he forgot to mention tunnels? LOL

One thing utterly ignored in all this talk about highways and bridges is that the “Highway Fund” has been raided for decades to pay for INNER CITY PUBLIC TRANSIT. This is the #1 reason that planned maintenance on the interstate system has been recklessly deferred.

You think DJT will direct the corrupt Cho to get back to highway and bridge basics at the expense of NYC? Hahahahaha.

Comment by Ed from SFV — 2/28/2017 @ 8:13 pm

5. This is Trump dipping his ideological toe into the Washington swamp to see if he can get a pass for these two items, and when he doesn’t face a challenge from the right expect him to wade right in and take the rest of the country with him.

Comment by Sean — 2/28/2017 @ 9:46 pm

6. @ Ed from SFV;

This is the first I’ve heard of NYC tunnels.
    I’d also forgotten about the raiding of the highway fund for transit boondoggles.

I do support the Feds helping inner city mass transit projects in one way; easing some of the federal red tape (Much from the EPA). But not with money.

As I said, I expect the worst on the infrastructure deal – I expect to despise (loudly) about 95% of it. But, lacking specifics, I can’t really say for sure at the moment. I also confess to having some faint hope; Trump has pleasantly surprised me quite a few times, so perhaps, just maybe, this infrastructure thing won’t be what I fear. (Though with a Trillion dollar pricetag, the odds of that are probably on par with me going on a stroll on the Moon tomorrow afternoon).

Comment by Arizona CJ — 3/1/2017 @ 2:29 am

7. Ryan will disappoint me. I fear he is a wonk — a good one, but a wonk — who doesn’t have the backbone for bruising fights. Trump loves bruising fights because he can win those without being right on the issues. And his issues are New York Values.

Comment by DRJ — 3/1/2017 @ 5:47 am

8. And here’s Trump playing that 3D chess his followers love so much:

President Donald Trump has delayed plans to sign a reworked travel ban in the wake of positive reaction to his first address to Congress, a senior administration official told CNN.

The decision came late Tuesday night as positive reviews flooded in for Trump’s speech, which struck a largely optimistic and unifying tone.
    Signing the executive order Wednesday, as originally indicated by the White House, would have undercut the favorable coverage. The official didn’t deny the positive reception was part of the administration’s calculus in pushing back the travel ban announcement.

Trump said he needed this to protect the country, but now he wants to wait and enjoy the good press for a couple of days.

Trump puts Trump first. Always. The agenda can wait.

Comment by DRJ — 3/1/2017 @ 5:53 am

9. Trump is better than Hillary but he won, so that’s not the comparison we need to make. The question now is: Will we get Conservative Trump or New York Celebrity Trump? His supporters deserve Conservative Trump and he has shown he can do that when properly motivated. He can also be Celebrity Trump if he thinks he has the support.

The difference is criticism. Trump does good things when he knows the issues are difficult and he wants the support of his base, but he strays when he knows the base is happy. The key to Trump is to keep the pressure on him.

Comment by DRJ — 3/1/2017 @ 6:01 am

10. I hope there are enough conservatives in Congress so Ryan will get push back, and he will have to make some hard choices.

Comment by DRJ — 3/1/2017 @ 6:41 am

11. Trump is being praised by many for his speech. He has been under pressure from the start of his Presidency and he is responding. He is governing conservatively (for the most part, except the travel ban) and he has become a better speaker, with better content and less vindictive tweeting.

I submit Trump has gotten better because of being challenged and criticized, and not because of reflexive and unconditional support. Being challenged is what makes us get better — whether it’s in work, school, sports, or any area of life. Bloggers like Patterico who call them as they see them are an important part of that.

Comment by DRJ — 3/1/2017 @ 6:50 am

12. Remember when Trump said the travel ban was necessary to protect America from dangerous immigrants? He tweeted the same thing. Was he wrong or does he just not care anymore?

Comment by DRJ — 3/1/2017 @ 8:32 am

13. It’s ironic but had Cruz been elected, I would have been one of his strongest supporters but I also would have scrutinized everything he did. Criticism makes us identify and adhere to our values, so I would have watched Cruz to make sure he stuck to his values.

I sometimes criticize Trump but I have so few expectations that I try to avoid thinking about him. I would be saying the exact same things about Cruz if he had done what Trump has done, only I would have said them everyday instead of every now and then. That should make Trump’s true believers — the ones who either idolize him or are so invested they reject virtually all criticism — very happy.

Comment by DRJ — 3/1/2017 @ 9:04 am

14. I sometimes criticize Trump but I have so few expectations that I try to avoid thinking about him.

Totally there with you.

I didn’t watch the speech but I did read it. I had told my family that I didn’t want to listen to a revamped campaign speech made up of 3 word lines. The speech read like that only the speech writers made the 3 lines into actual 5 word sentences. Of course the subject changed with each sentence. But it was the same speech pattern he has used in the past. He has a huge desire to spend spend spend and it is the death of conservatism and the GOP all sat there with smiles on their faces. I get the “we have to come together, we have to be united” and hope that it comes down to someone with sense pointing out the actual effect this spending will have on the country.

The family leave and child care issues…. don’t get me started on that. I am way too opinionated and easily labeled “old-fashioned”.

Comment by Marci — 3/1/2017 @ 10:06 am

15. Wow. My brain is obviously not functioning with correct grammar today…. time to get back to fixing my sprinkler system. I’m proficient in handyman stuff. It’s why my husband married me. 😉

Comment by Marci — 3/1/2017 @ 10:07 am