2/19/2017

High-Profile Provocateur To Deliver Keynote Speech At CPAC

Filed under: Uncategorized — Dana @ 3:03 pm

[guest post by Dana]

[Ed. note: According to CPAC chairman Matt Schlapp’s twitter feed tonight, Milo will not be the keynote speaker, but one of many speakers at the event.]

Organizers of the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) have announced that Milo Yiannopoulos will be this year’s keynote speaker. Like it or not, this is yet another step in the Right’s march toward the new “normal,” which is made up of bright, shiny, novelty items collected under an even more bigly Big Tent.

In spite of some noteworthy Republicans speaking at the event, including Sen. Ted Cruz, Vice-president Mike Pence and Gov. Scott Walker, it is Milo that will be allotted the most time on stage.

According to CPAC chairman Matt Schlapp:

An epidemic of speech suppression has taken over college campuses. Milo has exposed their liberal thuggery and we think free speech includes hearing Milo’s important perspective.

Here is Milo appearing as a guest on Bill Maher’s show last night:

NSFW:

And yet, here is another view of Milo:

(Absolutely NSFW):

People, good and decent people can make themselves overlook the inexcusable when it’s necessary and beneficial to their cause.

Question: If you find Milo’s views expressed in the second video reprehensible, do you think Cruz, Walker, Pence, etc. should decline to appear at the conference?

(Cross-posted at The Jury Talks Back.)

–Dana

UPDATE BY DANA: Here is CPAC chairman Matt Schlapp’s statement regarding the controversial selection of Milo Yiannopoulos as keynote speaker.

Untitled

11 Comments »

1. Hello.

Comment by Dana — 2/19/2017 @ 3:05 pm

2. Keynote speaker? Seriously? I think they’re nuts if they do that.

I didn’t watch the video (I have hearing issues) so I don’t actually know what Milo says in them (or any other time). I do however know that there’s a lot of controversy around him, which IMHO makes him a bad choice for keynote speaker, anywhere.

I also do fully support him making speeches on college campuses; that’s an important freedom of speech exercise.

As for whether Cruz, Pence, etc, should decline to appear if he’s keynote speaker, I don’t have an opinion due to knowing so little about what this guy actually says.

Comment by Arizona CJ — 2/19/2017 @ 3:14 pm

3. Here is CPAC chairman Matt Schlapp’s statement regarding the controversial selection of Milo Yiannopoulos as keynote speaker.

Comment by Dana — 2/19/2017 @ 10:17 pm

4. I smell a weasel. Is there only one Keynote, which is associated with the “Reagan Dinner?” If so, no worries and I am a bad person.

Or, is there/has there typically been, a convention Keynote as well, and Milo is it?

I would absolutely have him speak without any imprimatur. His is an important voice and he has been a victim of the SJW Brownshirts.

I do NOT endorse him nor a significant amount of his words. He is no Ted. But, he is typically quite entertaining with some fantastically sharp barbs reserved for enemies of liberty.

Comment by Ed from SFV — 2/19/2017 @ 11:13 pm

5. In CPAC 2016, the only speech designated as a keynote was the speech given by Carly Fiorina at the Ronald Reagan dinner. Everyone else on the Agenda was a speaker. Michael Reagan will reportedly be the keynote speaker at the Ronald Reagan dinner this year.

Comment by DRJ — 2/20/2017 @ 7:20 am

6. Here is the 2016 Agenda and here is the preliminary 2017 Agenda.

Comment by DRJ — 2/20/2017 @ 7:22 am

7. Thank you, DRJ, very useful information. I would see a slot for Milo on the “Locking you up, Shutting you up, & Shutting you down” panel discussion.

Comment by felipe — 2/20/2017 @ 9:44 am

8. That would be at the 2016 CPAC, of course.

Comment by felipe — 2/20/2017 @ 9:47 am

9. In looking at the prior CPAC agendas, it seems the organizers are making a concerted effort to reach out to young people. There aren’t a lot of choices when it comes to high-profile young people who identify as Republican or conservative. My guess is that’s why they invited Milo. It doesn’t appear he’s been invited as a keynote, so I don’t think other speakers should boycott because of this.

Comment by DRJ — 2/20/2017 @ 10:17 am

10. However, it appears this was an invitation by one man — Schlapp. Thanks to Trump, making a big splash with flamboyant gestures seems to be the new normal for the GOP.

Comment by DRJ — 2/20/2017 @ 10:22 am

11. Well, it’s settled. I am a bad person and DRJ rocks.

CPAC is not what it once was, like so many once true conservative entities.

Comment by Ed from SFV — 2/20/2017 @ 2:06 pm