2/8/2017

Trump’s Supreme Court Nominee Criticizes Trump’s Comments on Judges

Filed under: Uncategorized — Patterico @ 7:00 pm

I like this guy more and more all the time.

Neil Gorsuch, President Trump’s Supreme Court nominee, on Wednesday called the president’s tweets attacking federal judges “disheartening” and “demoralizing.”

A spokesman for Gorsuch confirmed to CNN that he expressed concern about Trump’s remarks during a meeting with Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.), after Blumenthal first told reporters about the nominee’s reaction.

Trump, you have no doubt heard, first tweeted about the District Court judge:

and

and

And now has taken his tweet-whinges to the next level:

You realize they’re going to make Gorsuch say this in front of the TV cameras, right? That’s when President Tweet may go nuts. Laura Ingraham is already upset:

Me, I think it bodes awesome.

[Cross-posted at RedState.]

12 Comments »

1. I found Trump’s comments about the judges disturbing, too. I had no issue with him lambasting the stay, but lots of issues with him lambasting the judge.

However, his comments on the 9th circuit puzzle the heck out of me. That case is still before them… so isn’t it strategically unwise in the extreme to be insulting the very judges you’re trying to sway to your side?

Comment by Arizona CJ — 2/8/2017 @ 8:03 pm

2. “so isn’t it strategically unwise in the extreme to be insulting the very judges you’re trying to sway to your side?” Arizona CJ

I’d go with unseemly, and unwise on general principles, but strategically it may be just the kind of thing Trump has built a career on. If the ruling goes his way, he can claim his comments helped. If things don’t go his way he can say, “I told you so.” Not quite cricket, as it were, but judges are supposed to be above rising to this kind of bait in the first place, no?

I’m sure practicing lawyers put a lot of work into knowing the personal predilictions of the judges they have to argue before, the same way students learn which professors welcome disagreement and those whose world views need to be catered to in term papers, to ensure decent grades. With Trump, it’s a different story, more like the line, “when you owe the bank ten thousand dollars, you have a problem; when you owe the bank ten million dollars, the bank has a problem.”

Trump isn’t a lawyer arguing before a judge, he’s a performer on the public stage, daring the judge to rule against him. Foolish it may be, I’m no longer comfortable predicting failure as a result.

Comment by Quibus Vigilius — 2/8/2017 @ 8:13 pm

3. Patterico,

This story sure seemed to bring out the alt-right Trumpers (especially some at RedState).

One in particular seems to think that Judge Gorsuch was insulting Trump.

I loved what the Judge said. It was perfect. He didn’t say the President shouldn’t do it. He didn’t say it was wrong. He said he was disheartened by it. That’s perfect. It helps the outreach to the other side to get the 60 votes, it signifies that he (will hopefully) be fair and evaluate facts not just support the guy who nominated him, and it shows that he’s not just a puppet – that he will do what he thinks is right.

Like you, I love what he said and it made me feel even better about him serving on the court for years.

Comment by Ryan — 2/9/2017 @ 5:25 am

4. Trump responded on Twitter, of course:

5:57 AM · Feb 9, 2017

He got up awfully easy to do this.

Comment by DRJ — 2/9/2017 @ 7:59 am

5. Did that link work? Here it is again, just in case. Is Trump so foolish that he might pull this nomination?

Or is Trump playing along to make Gorsuch look independent by criticising him? I think we can safely eliminate that possibility.

Comment by DRJ — 2/9/2017 @ 8:02 am

6. He got up early, not easy. Sorry.

Comment by DRJ — 2/9/2017 @ 8:03 am

7. DRJ, my opinion is that Trump should respect judges, or at least their authority, regardless of their faults (at least to a point). Unless it’s Mr. Rogers, you can almost always find fault with anyone.
    If he want’s to criticize the judge’s decision, I think that’s OK. But personal attacks cross the line.

Comment by Tillman — 2/9/2017 @ 8:23 am

8. I agree but I don’t think this is a view others share. People used to respect judges and attorneys but they don’t anymore. Maybe the law has become too politicized to deserve respect.

Comment by DRJ — 2/9/2017 @ 9:14 am

9. I find Trump’s comments disheartening, too, but Gorsuch’s comments at this time surprised me. He is injecting himself into politics at a time when he doesn’t want to do that.

Comment by DRJ — 2/9/2017 @ 9:18 am

10. Maybe it’s a sign he can play politics. Maybe that is where we are when it comes to the courts. If so, that is sad.

Comment by DRJ — 2/9/2017 @ 9:20 am

11. He got up awfully [early] to do this.

You aren’t kidding.

I’m in the Marine Corps and I have little sympathy for those that misrepresent their service. I remember the Blumenthal situation from a few years back regarding his service. It doesn’t put the Senator in a good light but it is absolutely irrelevant to the Judge Gorsuch comments.

From what I’ve seen, his comments have been confirmed by a bunch of folks.

Classic Trump; just makes me throw my hands up and beg that he shuts up.

Comment by Ryan — 2/9/2017 @ 9:21 am

12. Sen.Richard Blumenthal, who never fought in Vietnam when he said for years he had (major lie),now misrepresents what Judge Gorsuch told him?

5:57 AM · Feb 9, 2017

He got up awfully easy to do this.

Comment by DRJ — 2/9/2017 @ 7:59 am

I think the time has been adjusted. At 7 am EST, CBS This Morning said it had just happened. I think this tweet cane at 6:57 am EST.

Comment by Sammy Finkelman — 2/9/2017 @ 10:20 am