1/31/2017

President Trump Nominates Neil Gorsuch!

Filed under: Uncategorized — Patterico @ 5:33 pm

[guest post by Dana]

The best news for Conservatives.

While Democrats are promising a vigorous battle, now is the time to savor the moment.

–Dana

UPDATE BY PATTERICO:

Tonight, I am proud of President Trump, without reservation. If I may plagiarize myself from a recent post:

In many ways, Gorsuch is the ideal successor to Scalia, as he shares many of Scalia’s attributes. He is an engaging and entertaining writer. He is an originalist, which is the only legitimate method of constitutional interpretation — but one that Scalia did much to make respectable. Gorsuch is an ardent textualist, like Scalia, and shares Scalia’s disdain for a reliance on fickle and often misleading legislative history.

I listened to Trump’s and Gorsuch’s remarks on my drive home, and was impressed by each. Listening to Gorsuch talk of how he clerked for Byron White and Anthony Kennedy (after Justice White retired) reminded me that I was at the Court for Justice White’s last day on the Court. Mrs. P. and I had prime seats, and today I realize that I was probably sitting only feet away from future Justice Gorsuch that day.

To those who got on my case for failing to predict the outcome of the election, let me remind you of two things. First: a lot of you thought the GOP was going to cave on Merrick Garland. I said they wouldn’t — and they didn’t. And to the more extreme of the NeverTrumpers: many of you said Trump would be horrible on Supreme Court nominations. I said I thought he would be very good — and he was.

Always Generally trust content from Patterico.

What a great day for America.

— P

UPDATE x2 BY PATTERICO:

UPDATE x3 BY PATTERICO: Video.

UPDATE x4 BY PATTERICO:

17 Comments »

1. Fantastic.

Comment by Patterico — 1/31/2017 @ 5:34 pm

2. “I’ve rarely been more pleased to have two of my predictions turn out to be correct.”

I am pleased for you, for the nation, and (speaking on behalf of the Never-Another-Clinton contingent of the voting public who didn’t much care for The Donald but supported him anyway) for my little faction.

The nation being the important part of that set, of course.

Comment by POUNCER — 1/31/2017 @ 5:35 pm

3. UPDATE x2 BY PATTERICO:

Comment by Patterico — 1/31/2017 @ 5:40 pm

4. I’ve rarely been more pleased to have two of my predictions turn out to be correct.
    Always Generally trust content from Patterico.

How about some predicting about how the confirmation process will play out in the Senate. Will the Dems continue to refuse to attend committee hearings, denying a quorum? If so, what will McConnell do? Involve the sergeant at arms; the capitol police? Will the Dems filibuster? If they do, what will the GOP do? Overturn the filibuster for SCOTUS nominees?

Come on. I want to call my bookie, so I need to get the good prognosticators on this.

Comment by Anon Y. Mous — 1/31/2017 @ 5:46 pm

5. Great news. Willett is hilarious. And I think Gorsuch should quit skiing.

Comment by DRJ — 1/31/2017 @ 5:56 pm

6. “Will the Dems continue to refuse to attend committee hearings” – DRJ

Didn’t they try that in Wisconsin a few years back with Scott Walker? Maybe they’ll discover an urgent need to travel back to their home states on “fact finding” missions for the next couple of months. If they’re trying to avoid seeing the Republicans remove the filibuster of SCOTUS nominees, they just might try new tactics. Almost argues for an older style filibuster; delay in hopes of building support rather than permanently block.

Comment by Quibus Vigilius — 1/31/2017 @ 6:04 pm

7. DJT’s speech was brilliant, surpassed only by his choice of Gorsuch.

I relish the coming fight war.

QV identified a poison the Dhimmis created and drank” There was zero downside for DJT to name a “compromise” nominee. Beautiful.

Ted is now speaking on Fox News to this nomination with deep clarity. He is fully confident that McConnell will keep his word. He better.

Comment by Ed from SFV — 1/31/2017 @ 6:05 pm

8. I’m one of those who thought the GOP (enough of its senators, anyway) would cave on Garland.

I’m glad I was wrong.

Comment by Arizona CJ — 1/31/2017 @ 6:40 pm

9. Today, for the first time in my life, I am proud of DJT. Now, we must pray that Gorsuch didn’t hit on his secretary or say something inappropiate….like ever. These past 10 days gives me some hope, then I watch the news and realize we are doomed. I need some cheering up, but tonight was a good start.

Comment by MrsTxEngr — 1/31/2017 @ 7:19 pm

10. Durbin is supposedly on the record now saying he wants Gorsuch to get an up or down vote. No filibuster.

Dems may choose to save their powder for the next fight, likely over Kennedy replacement. That makes total sense to me.

Comment by Ed from SFV — 1/31/2017 @ 7:19 pm

11. A majority is a quorum in the Senate. Let all the Democrats stay away as long as the Republicans show up.

Comment by nk — 1/31/2017 @ 7:52 pm

12. The Orange and the green

Comment by EPWJ — 1/31/2017 @ 7:58 pm

13. UPDATE x3 BY PATTERICO: Video.

Comment by Patterico — 1/31/2017 @ 8:22 pm

14. I love this guy.

Comment by Patterico — 1/31/2017 @ 8:31 pm

15. UPDATE x4 BY PATTERICO:

Comment by Patterico — 1/31/2017 @ 8:55 pm

16. Two supreme court justices from Colorado, suck it Wyoming! — Stephen Green

Comment by SPQR — 1/31/2017 @ 9:25 pm

17. Hardiman was the other finalist and he is also ranked as the most liberal judge on Trump’s list. I hope Trump doesn’t view Hardiman as the next person to nominate if another judgeship comes up.

Comment by DRJ — 2/1/2017 @ 10:11 am