4/27/2010

San Francisco may boycott Arizona

Filed under: Uncategorized — aunursa @ 4:07 am

The San Francisco Board of Supervisors will consider a resolution to boycott the state of Arizona.  In response to the neighboring state’s new policy on illegal immigration, the resolution would end all city contracts with Arizona-based companies and would stop doing business with the state.

San Francisco is a city that faces a potential $750 million budget deficit in 2011.  Yet the city government is more concerned about the attempts of another political entity to solve its problems than San Francisco is about its own problems.

I now limit my visits into San Francisco, and I spend as little as possible.  If this resolution passes, I will be sure to spend a day in Arizona during my trip to Las Vegas this summer … in order to spend my hard-earned tourist dollars in a place that has some sanity.

12 Comments »

1. ‘Tis a silly place.

Comment by Brother Bradley J. Fikes, C.O.R. — 4/27/2010 @ 6:08 am

2. I can hear the people of Arizon begging them to reconsider all the way up hear….

Comment by MD in Philly — 4/27/2010 @ 6:19 am

3. Sedona will probably suffer. It is kind of a gay place.

Comment by nk — 4/27/2010 @ 6:44 am

4. I used to live in Globe; I hardly think they’d care.

Comment by Andy — 4/27/2010 @ 8:15 am

5. I would think the bigger problem is what happens if AZ boycotts SF – but they would deserve whatever they get.

One commenter elsewhere suggested that instead of AZ handing over illegals to the INS for deportation, that they should all be provided transportation to San Francisco so that they could avail themselves of The City’s sanctuary.

Comment by AD - RtR/OS! — 4/27/2010 @ 11:16 am

6. We began boycotting SF immediately after the Bologna family was murdered on the streets by illegals and discovered the sanctuary city…gave them sanctuary. What a travesty.

Over a three day weekend, we would spend money at a high end hotel, restaurants, bookstores, cafes, theater, etc. I emailed the city office of tourism and Gavin Newsom’s office informing them of our boycott and suggested they might want to reconsider their sanctuary laws as it would no doubt lead to an increasing loss of revenue to the city.

Obviously, they’ve still got their priorities completely out of whack. But they’ve got me considering a weekend getaway to AZ.

Comment by Dana — 4/27/2010 @ 4:56 pm

7. Well the boycott would be a big red labeled welcome mat for all the fleeing illegals from AZ to plop down.
    Maybe SF should post a GPS map url from AZ to SF and offer free tomtoms to non-english speakers, so the poor disenfranchised have a chance.
    So Gavin’s bean counters flipped out when they looked at the numbers.
    Wouldn’t 5000 new carved fruit stands blend right in with the population ?

Comment by SiliconDoc — 4/27/2010 @ 5:50 pm

8. You mean this was all it took to keep them away? Heck if they’d have said something, I’m sure AZ would have passed this law years ago.

Comment by huh — 4/27/2010 @ 6:43 pm

9. Nice restriction on interstate commerce San Fran. This is the type of thing the Commerce Clause was originally intended to prevent.

Comment by daleyrocks — 4/27/2010 @ 7:02 pm

10. A little over the top, daley, on the underlying cause of the CC.
    More like preventing the States from banning commerce completely, not just refusing to deal with some other State on a gov’t-to-gov’t basis.
    Everyone in SF is still free to travel to AZ, or purchase goods from there.
    The mindset that produces this boycott is troubling though.

Comment by AD - RtR/OS! — 4/28/2010 @ 4:20 pm

11. I think it entirely likely that I will boycott both Arizona and San Francisco this year.

Comment by The Dana in Pennsylvania — 4/29/2010 @ 5:47 pm

12. San Francisco is beautiful but so is Arizona. I’ll manage to live without San Fran.

Comment by DRJ — 4/29/2010 @ 9:48 pm