2/22/2010

My favorite item from the PotUS’s proposal

Filed under: Uncategorized — Scott Jacobs @ 1:15 pm

The very last bullet-point on the page:

Requires large employers to cover their employees and individuals who can afford it to buy insurance so everyone shares in the responsibility of reform. Under the President’s plan, large businesses – those with more than 50 workers – will be required to offer their workers coverage or pay a fee to help cover the cost of making coverage affordable in the exchange. This will ensure that workers in firms not offering coverage will have affordable coverage options for themselves and their families.  Individuals who can afford it will have a responsibility to purchase coverage – but there will be a “hardship exemption” for those who cannot.

Might I say, with all due respect, “Fuck you, Mr President”.

To start with, 50 employees is nothing.  It certainly is not what I would call “the starting of large”.  One restaurant could easily top 50 employees.

More importantly, if the government thinks it will be forcing me to buy health insurance, the government can go fuck right off and die.

I look forward to them trying to enforce their will in this matter.

1. i’m not sure Ear Leader is psychologically prepared for a majority of 300+ million people all telling him to go fuck himself.

they certainly lack the infrastructure to enforce it. can you see the IRS trying to hold trials for how many people who contest their penalty? each one has to be separate.

Comment by redc1c4 — 2/22/2010 @ 11:17 pm

2. i’m not sure Ear Leader is psychologically prepared for a majority of 300+ million people all telling him to go fuck himself.

Hell, I’m not sure he’s psychologically prepared for ANYONE to pull a Dick Cheney…

Comment by Scott Jacobs — 2/23/2010 @ 5:54 am

3. OMG that Dick Cheney clip was funny! Thanks Scott.

Could you imagine working at a firm of 51 or so employees with this legislation in force?

Pure genius — great focus on the job losses Mr. President.

What Joe Wilson said.

Comment by Pons Asinorum — 2/23/2010 @ 11:41 pm

4. if i owned a company, i’d cancel all insurance plans the day the bill passed. the fine will be cheaper than the premiums, at least initially.

given the current j*b market, replacing anyone who quit would be easy, and i’d make sure everyone knew why their benefits had gone away….

Comment by redc1c4 — 2/24/2010 @ 12:05 pm

5. Might I say, with all due respect, “Fuck you, Mr President”.

You said “due.”

Comment by Patterico — 2/28/2010 @ 1:59 am

6. Might I say, with all due respect, “Fuck you, Mr President”.

Actually, he is due all the respect that the statement gives him (namely none).

Comment by Sabba Hillel — 3/3/2010 @ 1:37 pm

7. As nearly as I can tell, the President’s proposal is designed to fail, and fail so spectacularly that the private insurance companies will start to fail, and single-payer will be the only option left.

He has proposed a system based on maintaining the existing for-profit health insurance companies, but would saddle them with regulations which cut into profitability, and wants to regulate the prices they can charge for insurance.

Comment by The urinated-off Dana — 3/6/2010 @ 5:35 pm

8. […] x2: Scott Jacobs highlights a particularly problematic item of the health care bill, and, with his usual colourful language, denounces the lack of […]

Pingback by Health Care Round-Up at Haemet — 3/10/2010 @ 11:36 pm

9. Scott, if you don’t intend to buy the pre-paid health services package (which most call “insurance”, but isn’t), you should be aware that they will tax you for NOT doing so.

At your age (I think you are in your 20’s, no?), the tax will probably be more than the insurance. This is their plan to force young people into the insurance system.

Again, who are the rubes?

Comment by Kevin Murphy — 3/12/2010 @ 3:52 pm

10. Early 30’s, and I simply won’t pay. I welcome their attempt to force me to. I’ve always wanted to have my name associated with a Supreme Court Case, and this method means I don’t have to involve a rifle and a bell tower…

Comment by Scott Jacobs — 3/15/2010 @ 6:48 pm