11/21/2009

She looked so different

Filed under: Uncategorized — Scott Jacobs @ 10:15 am

Granted, I’d not seen the girl since she was 14 (gods, had it really been 4 years?), but she looked…  I dunno, older.

Far more mature.  More confident.

Bootcamp was good to her, I think.

I’ll have pics later, but for now, I just want everyone to know how very, very proud I am of one of the Navy’s newest members.

Seaman Recruit Amber Williams.

God Damn I’m proud of that girl.

heh.  “Seaman”.

Yes, I’m 12.  Shush.

1. Yes, I’m 12.

Then this is the more suitable video for the occasion, Scott. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTwq1_9VH68

Comment by nk — 11/21/2009 @ 10:59 am

2. My soldier can kick your sailor’s butt.

Comment by The Army daddy Dana — 11/21/2009 @ 5:55 pm

3. Dana, I’m afraid I’d have to step up and stop your Soldier.

Amber’s like my little sister, and I couldn’t let anyone – not even my future bride (btw, have we informed my bride-to-be of this? I feel like she should be told at some point, and not just dropped off at a church and have us all yell “SUPRISE!!”)

Comment by Scott Jacobs — 11/21/2009 @ 9:26 pm

4. Your father must call her father to arrange to visit at her parents’ home when her parents, sister, aunts, uncles, cousins, and godparents, will be there.

You must come with your mother and father. Your older sublings may also come but only if they are married.

You must bring a simple gift, such as a cake or a sweet liqueur, for the house. NOT brandy.

Your mother may bring a small piece of jewelry for Autumn. It must not be gold or a crucifix. Those are for the formal engagement.

When her mother asks if you would like something to drink, you must ask for a glass of water. After she brings you the water, she will bring you a coffee in a saucer and a piece of cake or other sweet.

You will sit up straight, with the coffee in one knee and the cake in the other. Autumn will sit across from you. She will not have cake or coffee.

Neither of you will speak unless asked a direct question by an older person. The relatives, of course, will be getting to know each other.

After two hours, you and your family will leave. Again, regardless of what the older folks may say, you will restrain yourself to “Good ______, Mr. Pico, Mrs. Pico, Miss Pico”.

The next day, your respective fathers will ask each of you if you liked each other. If you both say yes, they will call each other and exchange the good news. This can be a little bit touchy, as you can imagine.

You may then call upon her at home, by yourself, and perhaps arrange with her parents for a date. For example, to accompany her to church the next Sunday.

Comment by nk — 11/22/2009 @ 5:43 am

5. You will sit up straight, with the coffee *on* one knee and the cake *on* the other (holding on to them, of course).

Comment by nk — 11/22/2009 @ 5:51 am

6. The issue thus being that my father is a worthless son-of-a-bitch, and likely wouldn’t be allowed within artillery ranger of the site of the wedding or reception.

See, I want my marriage to be a happy one, and that precludes his involvement.

Comment by Scott Jacobs — 11/22/2009 @ 7:38 am

7. That’s terrible, because a girl from a good family could never possibly be allowed to marry into a bad one.

Comment by nk — 11/22/2009 @ 7:49 am

8. Well shit.

Comment by Scott Jacobs — 11/22/2009 @ 7:50 am

9. nk-

How much would you charge to give a daughter a lesson in the proper etiquette of dating?

Comment by MD in Philly — 11/22/2009 @ 12:02 pm

10. I’m always glad to help young people find love and happiness, MD in Philly. The standard fee for drafting the marriage contract will be enough payment. No extra charge for the tutoring.

Comment by nk — 11/22/2009 @ 1:54 pm

11. Well, there may be a bit of a hitch here. PFC Pico went to the local Army recruiting office to see if she could get her military ID redone; it has some sort of chip or encoding which allows access to some system, and that has failed.

There was no one at the Army recruiting station, so she went over to the Marine recruiting station, figuring she could get help there.

Help. Well, the Marine Staff Sergeant there wasn’t able to help with the ID — they don’t have the equipment there — but apparently, since running alone is no fun, they have gone running together a couple of times. I am uncertain if this is of any significance, but I have been informed that “he’s cute.”

Comment by The concerned Dana — 11/22/2009 @ 2:32 pm

12. but the tutoring must come first, or the courtship as above, leading to marriage, will not likely happen…. she’s 9, I want to be prepared.

Of course, I can still have her big brother the police officer come by in uniform whenever any remotely possible suitors come near

Comment by MD in Philly — 11/22/2009 @ 3:09 pm

13. Philly Doc: T’would be better if her big brother the police officer came by whenever the not-so-remotely impossible suitors come near.

I tried — somewhat unsuccessfully — to tell my daughters that they wouldn’t be allowed to date until they were thirty or after I was dead — whichever came last — but I can’t object to a Marine.

Comment by The sarcastic Dana — 11/22/2009 @ 5:09 pm

14. *sigh*

I thought we were friends, dude…

Comment by Scott Jacobs — 11/22/2009 @ 7:28 pm

15. nk,

Is this your dating protocol for your daughter or are you speaking from personal experience?

Or both?

Comment by DRJ — 11/22/2009 @ 7:52 pm

16. It’s how my parents’ generation got married. And it’s still very prevalent among Greeks. But I eloped with the wife I eventually got. So had my father’s younger brother. No custom is invariable. It’s ok to run off with a girl as long as you do get married.

As for my daughter, it’s roughly how we try to arrange her playdates but I’m afraid that we are very permissive parents — she has already had two sleepovers with boys. 😉

Comment by nk — 11/23/2009 @ 4:07 am

17. Scandalous!

Comment by Scott Jacobs — 11/23/2009 @ 4:56 am

18. BTW, MD in Philly, my daughter (seven years old) and I recently bought matching pocket knives of a type called stockman. http://www.gunthergifts.com/jibost.html The small blade by itself is called a spey blade.

Comment by nk — 11/23/2009 @ 7:25 am

19. Dana-

I will take care of the impossible ones. It is the possible ones, the ones who will be permitted to have her company, that need the fear factor put in.

nk- I remember having a similar blade from my paternal grandfather when I was young. I’m still hoping she will take up the blade several feet longer as her older brothers did, but yours is more likely to be practical in daily life. In the meantime, I’m trying to interest her in taking up Karate. Only a mile or so away there is apparently a really superior “Dojo”, with a “Sensei” of superior skill and teaching ability.

Comment by MD in Philly — 11/23/2009 @ 7:27 pm

20. For a minute I thought my Niece, former Gunners Mate might have to step in to patch people up (She’s a nurse now) or reach back into her service and deploy a Ma Deuce on the warring parties, that or her deer hunting rifle, an 8mm Turkish Military Mauser.

Comment by PCD — 11/24/2009 @ 7:29 am

21. MD: Rodney Atkins explains it all.

Comment by The down-home Dana — 11/24/2009 @ 12:52 pm

22. Absolutely!

I actually know someone whose father did essentially that, but more direct. Retired police officer, after a nice chat with the young man while daughter finishing getting ready, pulled out his service revolver and said, “I love my daughter, if anything ever happened to her I would have no problem spending the rest of my life in jail.” He had her home 15 minutes before curfew.

Comment by MD in Philly — 11/24/2009 @ 9:14 pm

23. MD, I made a point of cleaning my guns or showing the boys they brought home my guns. It cut down on a lot of crap.

Comment by PCD — 11/27/2009 @ 6:20 am

24. A former female friend of mine had a father who would write the name of the latest boyfriend on a bullet, and set it on top of the TV, or somewhere else in plain sight.

Comment by Scott Jacobs — 11/27/2009 @ 7:50 am

25. So, she confined her dating to guys names Aleksandr Nikolaievich Andropovskii? :)

Comment by The Dana who has a short name — 11/28/2009 @ 10:11 am

26. A conversation I had with one of the boys my daughter brought home:

“You have a decent car. I expect you value your car.”
    “Thanks, yes I do.”
    “Would you loan your car out to a stranger?”
    “No.”
    “If someone you know and trust borrowed your car and brought it back with a mangled door, would you be angry?”
    “Yes, of course I would.”
    “I value my daughter much more than my car but you’re asking me to let my daughter out with a stranger.”
    *silence*
    “I know what condition my daughter is in. If she isn’t returned in the same condition and on time, it would be better for you if you totalled my car.”

He didn’t like that too much. :)

Comment by John Hitchcock — 11/28/2009 @ 10:24 am

27. It should be noted that Mr Hitchcock’s daughter has also been thoroughly trained in the use of firearms. :)

Comment by The Army daddy Dana — 11/28/2009 @ 11:28 am

28. John,

Is this the daughter in the picture you published with the big belly with a red snake (tatoo) crawling up it out of her pants?

Comment by nk — 11/28/2009 @ 11:47 am

29. yup, but my story was from 6 years ago, so it’s definitely not the same boy.

Comment by John Hitchcock — 11/28/2009 @ 12:14 pm

30. I gotta say, tho, that my daughter can boss Dana’s daughters around. How’s that for a different take on “my daddy can beat your daddy up”?

Comment by John Hitchcock — 11/30/2009 @ 9:38 am

31. So, she made sergeant; don’t think that this temporary rank superiority will last! :)

Comment by The Army daddy Dana — 12/1/2009 @ 3:21 pm

32. In about eighteen months, PFC Pico will have her butter bar.

Comment by The Army daddy Dana — 12/1/2009 @ 3:22 pm

33. “Yes, ma’am. Now if you’ll get out of the way, ma’am, I can get my job done.”

Butter Bar: Glorified Private.

Comment by John Hitchcock — 12/1/2009 @ 10:20 pm

34. Butter Bar = College graduate on the manufacturing floor.

Comment by PCD — 12/2/2009 @ 7:09 am

35. So if you get out of West Point you’re a second lieutenant but if you get out of ROTC you’re a lieutenant?

Comment by nk — 12/2/2009 @ 9:04 am

36. Butter Bar is 2LT.

Comment by John Hitchcock — 12/2/2009 @ 9:05 am

37. I know, now. Sorry, I mixed up my silver and gold.

Comment by nk — 12/2/2009 @ 9:08 am

38. Heh, only in the military is silver more valuable than gold. Like gold oak leaves are less valuable than silver oak leaves.

And as a side note, only the Navy has the Lieutenant rank.

O-1 Army, Air Force, Marine Corps Second Lieutenant … Navy Ensign
    O-2 Army, Air Force, Marine Corps First Lieutenant … Navy Lieutenant Junior Grade
    O-3 Army, Air Force, Marine Corps Captain … Navy Lieutenant