9/5/2009

Van Jones Resigns

Filed under: Uncategorized — Scott Jacobs @ 8:29 pm

It is now, by my clock, 11:25 pm on Saturday.  What better time to release this?

WASHINGTON — Obama aide Van Jones resigns as environmental adviser amid controversy over past statements.
Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

The time stamp says “15 minutes ago”, but has for a little while.  I suspect it was a “stroke of midnight” release.

I mean, there’s no way they are trying to bury this story…  No way at all

The question remains, however: How the holy monkey-fuck did this guy pass the vetting process?  Is the White House that stupid?  Or could it be that they didn’t find anything wrong with his words because they agree with them – after all, would crazy talk sound crazy if you agree with it?

I mean, I’m sure to other truthers a phrase like “the first time fire ever melted steel” sounds perfectly rational, you know what I mean?

Edit – Looks like it hit the wires at about 12:10am Eastern.  Yeah, there’s no way people at the White House were trying to bury this…

Update: The WaPo has a story now, with the following awesome quote from Van Jones:

“On the eve of historic fights for health care and clean energy, opponents of reform have mounted a vicious smear campaign against me. They are using lies and distortions to distract and divide,” he said (emphasis added)

Smears?  Lies?  Distortions?  Asshole, there were video cameras.  We can watch you say the stuff we are claiming came out of your noise hole.

As I’ve often said in the past: “it isn’t slander if it’s true”.

Andy Levy and Allahpundit have had some great “let me be clear” lines…

“As I have consistently said: There’s a U-Haul waiting out front”

“Let me be clear: Pack your shit”

“Let me be clear: We have got to start doing background checks.”

“As I have always said, your job is no longer being created or saved.”

And one from me: “Let me be clear: Someone here needs to learn how to use Google.”

And don’t forget everyone…  Friday the White House was closed-lipped about Jones, saying only that

Jones would remain as part of Obama’s administration.

Heh.  Guess not.

1. […] Scott Jacobs has the story at The Jury. […]

Pingback by Patterico’s Pontifications » Van Jones Resigns — 9/5/2009 @ 9:04 pm

2. Well done, Scott. Again.

Comment by DRJ — 9/5/2009 @ 9:08 pm

3. Van who? What are you people on about?

Comment by happyfeet — 9/5/2009 @ 9:18 pm

4. Obama aide Van Jones resigns…

Good, next…

Comment by Pons Asinorum — 9/5/2009 @ 9:19 pm

5. “On the eve of historic fights for health care and clean energy, opponents of reform have mounted a vicious smear campaign against me,” Jones said in his resignation statement. “They are using lies and distortions to distract and divide.”

What lies?

Comment by daleyrocks — 9/5/2009 @ 9:24 pm

6. Look for him to start makings the rounds of the campus lecture circuit where he will bemoan the way those vicious right-wingers smeared him and misrepresented his passionate commitment to “social justice.”

Comment by JVW — 9/5/2009 @ 9:52 pm

7. #6 (heh) — Kinda like he is doing anyway.

Comment by Pons Asinorum — 9/5/2009 @ 10:17 pm

8. True, Pons Asinorum, very true, but at least now that he is no longer a part of the Obama Administration he can start being paid honoraria for his drivel. That is, you know, if his Marxist self can see clear to accepting the fruits of a capitalistic system.

Comment by JVW — 9/5/2009 @ 11:20 pm

9. And the first commenter here to mention Obama’s BUS is . . . me!!!

Comment by Ira — 9/5/2009 @ 11:48 pm

10. And that is why the best response to their lies and distortions is for me to resign at 12:10 am on Saturday during a holiday weekend. I will now boldly and forcefully meet their distortions by disappearing from public life.

Comment by Californio — 9/6/2009 @ 12:29 am

11. Jonesie, you did a heckuva job.

Comment by Xrlq — 9/6/2009 @ 3:28 am

12. Well, at least we won’t have human powered wind mills in urban areas.

My guess is that they picked Van Jones because he looked good. Which is sort of why people voted for Obama, now that I think about it.

Looking good and being stupid with other people’s money…..well it’s a good job if you can get it.

Comment by jack — 9/6/2009 @ 4:11 am

13. I think this incident shows the power of the blogging community. This story will surprise people not tuned in to conservative blogs because the press abdicated its duty. It would be nice if people automatically asked the question: “why is this a surprise? Why didn’t the media [that they watch, listen to, or read] bring this up earlier?” If normal people can dig up the news better than news organizations, it means that those organizations are becoming irrelevant.

In passing, I object to the use of profanities or obscenities in posts. This used to be a pretty clean blog, but I note that the acronym for Frequently Unasked Questions in the right sidebar if pronounced like its FAQ counterpart, is a vulgarity, which is the site host’s contribution. People who are offended by vulgar language may not read here if it continues. If posters want to be heard, they would do well not to offend the people they talk to. If this site wishes to say they don’t need those people in the fight against losing their freedoms to socialism and worse, then I don’t see the posters as being serious about their opposition to it. The messages here I believe to be important. It would be sad if people get so arrogant that their right to say what they want in a vulgar manner becomes more important to them than the message they are trying to communicate.

Comment by Jeff — 9/6/2009 @ 5:57 am

14. Vetting is for the little people.

The Obamamians fear must be increasing. No longer is Friday afternoon sufficient to bury bad news; now we are dumping on Saturday night!

Comment by Patricia — 9/6/2009 @ 6:56 am

15. Like Jeff, I find the vulgarities and profanities off-putting. I’m man enough to handle them, but they do detract from what should be a mature discussion.

Comment by ManlyDad — 9/6/2009 @ 7:24 am

16. Maybe they discovered that he actually paid all of his taxes . . . on time. Definitely an outsider.

Comment by Icy Texan — 9/6/2009 @ 12:15 pm

17. It’s not really a big deal that yet another Obama official was a jackass and had to go. It’s happened on an almost weekly basis, and Obama will probably never manage to finish staffing his White House. This guy got into a big argument with Glenn Beck, which was really funny to watch, and he hates America, which is no surprise since he’s friends with Obama.

At this point, I’d be more surprised to learn Obama had a long time friend who didn’t try to blow up cops or blame the CIA for AIDS or something insane like that.

this controversy got me to read LGF again, for a short time. What’s happened to that site? It used to be a MUST read site for conservatives, with real evidence to back up claims, and thoughtful arguments. Now, there’s nothing on the site, going back several days, at all critical of any Obama policy. What kind of right leaning site doesn’t understand that this is how to blog these days? What’s also odd is LGF’s hostility towards the right and thoughtless insulting manner. It’s very suspicious.

If what I hear about the banning of anyone dissenting is true, Charles is really a wimp, too.

Comment by Juan — 9/8/2009 @ 2:04 am

18. Why does Obama want to be President if he, his wife, his supporters, and the Democrat party hate America so much?

Comment by PCD — 9/8/2009 @ 4:51 am

19. PCD, they want to take us down a peg or two. A lot of democrats basically see this as one major political ambition. It’s communicated through several avenues. Many of them realize that more taxes will cool our economy and innovation, environmental regulation will do it more, and socialized benefits will do it more. What they call diplomacy, which is basically for the USA to apologize a lot and not stand up for its interests very much, will do this even more.

There’s a group, probably a third, of democrats who really think this is going to create a more ‘fair’ world. Fair in the sense that other nations will be able to stand on a more even footing with us. Not fair in any way that is real, but in that way. so they aggressively seek power with Acorn, voter intimidation, lawsuits on election day that are ridiculous, and heavy propaganda and emotionally laden attacks on the children of GOP candidates.

It’s no surprise there are idiots out there, but it is pretty damn surprising that they won a lot of elections last year. Of course, Obama did not run promising the presidency we now have.

Comment by Juan — 9/8/2009 @ 9:35 am