8/20/2009

Mark Casem – Apparently competent

Filed under: Uncategorized — Scott Jacobs @ 9:52 am

So at 10:34am Mark gave me a call.  I explained how the problem got fixed, and how pissed I was over it.

Because if it was a failure to properly authorize the account, or the signal, or whatever, that’s just bush league.

I also re-iterated my intention to keep looking for a new provider for our services.  I mentioned the incentives offered by companies like Verizon.

He said that the netbook is for new customers only, and they usually don’t let people sign up for a new deal when they have signed on for another until it runs it’s time.

As a reminder, the free HD DVR that started this is such an offer.  That my offer to let them try and keep me as a customer would prevent an attempt to make this situation – I think the term I used was “pooch screw” – better doesn’t thrill me.  He said he would make some calls and see what is possible, and thus far he’s been the one person (aside from the guy that turned my internet back on) that’s shown even a modicum of ability to do his job, so I’m going to let him try.

So as it stands, the problem with the cable has been fixed, but the problem with Comcast itself is still up in the air.

Props to Mark.  He’s done good so far, here’s hoping he doesn’t drop the ball now.

If you’re reading this, Mark, I’ll stop the provider search if a Dell Netbook were to arrive (or the tracking number that would precede such an arrival).

1. Mark be careful, if Comcast finds out you are competent and trying to please a customer, your job is in jeopardy.

Scott, my wife just called from work — your Comcast threads are a HUGE hit. Apparently, there are a whole bunch of dissatisfied Comcast customers there…shocka.

Comment by Pons Asinorum — 8/20/2009 @ 10:33 am

2. Scott,

I’m going to disagree with the rest of the fans here and say that you’ve crossed over to childish.

“Give me this and I’ll stay”
    “Do that or else”

You sound like my 12-year-old.

Comcast screwed up, an efficient customer service rep got your problem fixed, and you’re back in business. You got better service than most because Patterico gives you a platform to shout from. You used it to vent your problems and get them solved and you’re now abusing it for personal gain.

Switch to Verizon and we’ll watch for you to rant about Verizon issues here soon. My prediction is that the first rant will come about six weeks out when you start hitting the usage cap.

Comment by Just Me — 8/20/2009 @ 6:01 pm

3. an efficient customer service rep got your problem fixed

But I’m nit-picking.

Comment by Scott Jacobs — 8/20/2009 @ 6:29 pm

4. Were they actually efficient, they would have fixed the problem some time yesterday.

I’ll grant you that. Mark was efficient. Comcast … not so much.

Comment by Just Me — 8/20/2009 @ 7:28 pm

5. The term “epic phail” springs to mind, but only because I spend more time on twitter and gaming than is likely to be healthy…

Comment by Scott Jacobs — 8/20/2009 @ 7:38 pm

6. Comcast is just all Wee Weed up.

Comment by PCD — 8/21/2009 @ 5:56 am

7. I had no idea that Comcast had any efficient customer service people. They must have missed firing that one.

Comment by Bar Sinister — 8/21/2009 @ 8:11 am

8. epic flail, perhaps.

Comment by Kevin Murphy — 8/21/2009 @ 7:26 pm

9. The real problem with the installation folks? They get paid almost nothing. Maybe $20 per install, no matter how long it takes, on a contract basis.

This goes for Comcast, TWC, DirecTV, Dish, etc. How much do you think they spend on a “free” install?

In my experience, a $20 to the installer solves no end of aggravation. For $50, they will do it your way and be happy about it.

And for $0, they will do it as fast and as cheap as they can, even if they have to staple coax across the kitchen floor.

Comment by Kevin Murphy — 8/21/2009 @ 7:31 pm

10. Looks like you aren’t the only one with Comcast problems:

via Instapundit – A MATTER OF TRUST by Michael S. Malone

As for me, I’m happy as a clam with Grande. Only one major failure in over four years, and that was due to a tornado that tore up some lines near their home office.

Comment by Rusty Bill — 8/21/2009 @ 7:45 pm

11. Ditto what Kevin Murphy said, plus in some places the installers are independent contractors and all they get is the installation fee. A 2 hour install for $20 doesn’t appeal to many people.

It’s expensive and a pain but I’ve decided to hire someone to do my wiring and only let the internet, phone, and cable providers connect at the wall and set up the service.

Comment by DRJ — 8/22/2009 @ 7:29 pm

12. I used to install satellite dishes back in the 80’s — the big 12 to 15 ft diameter dishes.

Cabling was always the hardest part. From crawl spaces to attics, from steep roof pitches to digging holes in the ground, from sub-zero temps to blistering 100 plus temps, from the city to the boondocks; from pick, shovel, spud-bar, auger to multi-meter, inclinometer, solder-gun; did it all.

Hard work, but I was paid quite well. I agree with Kevin, that good wages for the installer is no longer the case.

Comcast insisted on sending their installer — he was originally from El Salvador and yes, he was a contractor working under contract for Comcast. His english was okay and he was real nice guy. I worked with him, drilling holes and running cable through the crawl spaces. We worked and talked together and he told me they were paying him $20 bucks per install. I was shocked.

Never had a problem with my installation though — just the subsequent service.

Comment by Pons Asinorum — 8/22/2009 @ 9:31 pm

13. Comcast is nationally renowned for its lack of customer service.

Verizon would probably be better, from all I’ve heard. I use them for my cell phone and laptop data plan. And those like myself who also get Cox service are doubly blessed.

Comment by Brother Bradley J. Fikes, C.O.R. — 8/23/2009 @ 3:47 pm

14. I always suspected that you were a fan of cox…

Comment by Scott Jacobs — 8/23/2009 @ 4:01 pm

15. And Brüno!

Comment by Brother Bradley J. Fikes, C.O.R. — 8/23/2009 @ 6:53 pm

16. I resigned-up with Dish Friday night. The new, HD capable dish was installed Sunday afternoon, within the time window specified. Now I can watch the Packer games on my 35″ TV.

Comment by PCD — 8/25/2009 @ 11:15 am

17. So you get an efficient service with more channels that have nothing worth watching. Why not just attach hulu.com to the TV and forget about the cable “service”.

Comment by Sabba Hillel — 8/28/2009 @ 5:05 am

18. sabba, sports is the main reason for a lot of folks.

Comment by Juan — 8/28/2009 @ 1:17 pm

19. Yeah, but with Vick back in the NFL, even that is dead to me.

Comment by Scott Jacobs — 8/28/2009 @ 3:56 pm

20. Well, we just pulled the pin. We’re dropping AT&T and getting Comcast for phone and internet. (No TV.) They’re coming to install this Wednesday. Any chance that it will be seamless? What should I look out for and what can I do? BTW, my window is 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m..

Comment by nk — 8/29/2009 @ 4:29 am

21. My installation went well. Just under an hour, and we did drill three holes: one external and two internal.

Be there, NK. Talk to him (I had only one guy), hover (but not too much). If he is going to need to drill holes in your house, and if you have a preference on where, talk to him about it. Offer some coffee, ask lots of questions; if he knows you are interested and engaged in his work, human nature 101 — he will do a better job.

Do not let him leave your house until you link to the internet at a site you would not normally go to.

Here is a good place for a speed test.

Comment by Pons Asinorum — 8/30/2009 @ 10:24 pm

22. Thanks, PA. I was going to go to Netflix On Demand and play a movie.

Comment by nk — 8/31/2009 @ 4:11 am

23. I ran the speed test you linked. I’m getting 192 kbps, which is not DSL (which is what I’m paying AT&T for). My Blackberry is faster. I should be getting 1.1 megs. AT&T are a bunch of cheating, lying assholes and I would drop them if the only other service I could get was two tin cans and a string. (Do kids still do that, BTW, or only text on their Fireflies?)

Comment by nk — 8/31/2009 @ 6:58 am

24. My window was from 10:00 to 1:00 p.m.. He showed up at 1:30. He had not finished the installation until 4:30. The cable is draping over my garage roof because he did not tauten it enough. He was too lazy to drill pilot holes and he chipped the plaster trying to drive in screws to hang up the modem. The ethernet cable is too short — I will have to buy a new one. The Netgear router kept crashing my computer. He played around with it and got nowhere. My computer’s wireless modem did not like the new router. I had a USB wireless modem lying around and it works just find. 10,000 kbps compared to the 192 AT&T was giving me.

Comment by nk — 9/2/2009 @ 3:47 pm