8/18/2009

Comcast – worst company I have ever interacted with (updated)

Filed under: Uncategorized — Scott Jacobs @ 8:46 pm

So lately we here at Casa de la Jacobs have been getting fliers for Mediacom, a company that provides such services as cable, phone, and internet.  They have some nice deals, so I gave them a call.  After some questions, it seems that for what we here pay Comcast, we could be getting all they offer (including up/down speeds that are better) in addition to an extra HD DVR.

This being a household where two TVs are watched for vastly different content, I found this to be a lovely deal.

The person that pays the Comcast bill, however, was convinced that a switch would be a hassle, so I called Comcast to see if they could match the competition.  They agreed to toss in a free HD DVR for a year, so I agreed, and we set up an appointment for today to pick up the extra box – why come and hook it up, I am fully capable of hooking up the coaxial cable to the box, plug it into the wall, and connect the HDMI cable from box to TV.

Well, the first box was picked up around noon, and it was found to not work right.  Wouldn’t show a picture.  I saw the “menu” and everything, but no actual service, so we returned it and exchanged it for another box identical to the one was already have.

Now, that one will show me the local channels, but the picture is horrible and I get nothing besides the very basics – about 20 channels or so.  I called Comcast back (called the first time to authorize the box, where the lady on the other end said to wait 45 minutes and by then everything would be fine) and explained the problem.  She tried a few things, but failed at even being able to remotely command a box reset.  Declaring it to be a line/signal issue, we went to the “setting up an appointment” phase of the call.

THURSDAY?  I have to wait until God Damn THURSDAY before you assholes can get one of your trained simians out here?  You are aware that tomorrow is Wednesday, right?  That you are failing for two whole days to provide a service I God Damn pay you for?

And not just Thursday, mind you, but ALL of Thursday.  From 8am till 8pm, I get to lurk around this place waiting for your idiot to show up and fix a signal issue?  I swear to God in Heaven, if he says that he can’t fix it, I can not be held legally responsible for my subsequent actions.

So in closing:

1. Comcast is one of the most incompetent companies on the planet, and they continue to have customers only because they rarely have any competition what-so-ever, forcing you to use them for their shitty, shitty service.
  2. I should have demanded we switch to Mediacom, and I highly advise you do the same if you are able.

If you’ll now excuse me, I must attempt sleep, as I have to be up in less than 6 hours.

Update: Pons suggests that I am wrong when I call Comcast “one of the most incompetent”, stating it is the most incompetent.  I must disagree.  I’ve dealt with amazingly stunning levels of fail.  Comcast does not meet that “high” standard, but it does come very close.

Update x2: Mark Casem (an apparent employee of the above mention Company o’ Morons) posted a wonderfully apologetic reply, asking that I e-mail him with numbers so he might contact me and try to correct the issue.  As of 10:22am (central time) I did so.  It is now 2:45pm (central time), and I have yet to receive either an e-mail or phone call from anyone at Comcast.  It is possible that this annoys me more than the original shitty service.  Offering to try and make things right and then not following up after I contact you is not simply incompetent, but absolutely rude and completely unforgivable.  At this point the only way Comcast could fail me more is if, when I return home at about 9:30 or so tonight, I find that some service or combination of services have been turned off through yet further stupidity on the part of Comcast.

Note to Comcast: Juan is very much correct.  I received such a rapid offer of assistance because I am fortunate enough to be able to avail myself of a blog with a readership that extends beyond people in my High School.  Were I without this means of making my grievance known, I would not have even this much – which, let me remind, remains an empty offer due to further fail on your part.  Should 5pm central come and go without you numb-skulls contacting me, I am very afraid that I will have to look into other means of getting my story out there.  This website is not without friends, and I’d hate for this story to get link all over Hell’s Half Acre.

You have a chance – albeit a small, slim one – to make this right.  Please don’t chose to ignore that chance.

Update x3: Just got off the phone a couple of minutes ago with Mr Casem (4:23pm).  He’s said he will try (note it isn’t “will”, but “try”) to make it a morning appointment (my choices consisted of “morning” or “afternoon”).  This was the extent of it, aside from saying it was likely the would swap the box for a newer model (the model I picked up the first time – the one that failed harder than the current box).

I have to admit that I am, as yet, very unsatisfied with the solution.  I would get virtually the exact same resolution to my complaint by never having posted this, and continuing to suffer in silence.  I don’t believe I am out of line by saying that I feel as though Comcast should attempt to got the extra mile, here.  A second box failing to work when one already does is not acceptable on any level, and “signal issues” sounds like a cop-out.

Comcast offers as an incentive to new customers signing up for a 1-year agreement (or whatever they call it) a free Dell Netbook. The least they could do is offer one as a concession.

1. sucks to be you……

(i’m thinking it’s karma. %-)

Comment by redc1c4 — 8/18/2009 @ 9:16 pm

2. Comcast is one of the most incompetent companies on the planet..

No, I’m going to disagree with you on this – they are THE MOST incompetent company on the planet. Here is my story:

Like a sucker, I bundled my services from Comcast – phone, cable TV, broadband.

Phone:
    Lost count of the number of times my phone service died – no dial tone, nothing. In one instance, we had no land-line phone for TWO DAYS!

Sometimes, long distance calls simply disconnect in the middle of a conversation for no reason. They send out a technician (after threatening me with the old “if it’s not our fault, we are going to charge you a zillion dollars” speech) who always states that he “fixed” the problem – which is a true statement, for about a week or so.

Cable TV:
    Gets about half-dozen Spanish-language channels, but not others that I am suppose to get. What’s really weird, some of the basic channels appear on one TV but not the other and vica versa. They sent a technician (again after the “speech”). The tech comes in, whips out some sort of meter, plugs in and says “oh, you’re mill-gauss per amp is way off” – like it’s my fault. All this takes about thirty seconds from the time he enters my home.

I apologize – like it’s my fault — and say “can you fix it?”
    He says “not sure. “
    I ask “do you know what the cause of the problem is?”
    He says “not sure. “
    I ask “how long to troubleshoot”
    He says “not sure. “
    I state “you sure found the mill-gauss per amp problem quickly, is this a common problem?”
    He says “not sure. “

Twenty seconds later, he makes an adjustment at the outside junction box, and states that he “fixed” the problem – which is a true statement, for about a week or so.

Broadband:
    Prior to cable modem, I had DSL. NEVER had a single down day due to dropped service; all that was about to change. Out goes the DSL box and in goes the cable modem. That plugs into my router. All is well for about a week, then no internet (can ping my router, but not my cable modem). Call up the service center and explain the problem and of course the fault lies with my equipment. Tell them it worked fine with DSL (and about the “pinging”). They send a technician (again after the “speech”). The tech arrives and within thirty seconds of troubleshooting tells me “the router and the cable modem have issues – they tend to occasionally stop communicating with each other”. Dancing around my questions of “is this a known issue with the cable modem?” (gawd, he’d make a great politician), he reboots my router and states that he “fixed” the problem – which is a true statement, for about a week or so.

Obviously we are done with Comcast – FOE-EVAH.

Comment by Pons Asinorum — 8/19/2009 @ 12:00 am

3. Scott, If you think MediaCom is any better, I’ll take it for proof you are a Democrat Operative. IE. A Sucker that will believe any lie.

Dubuque is a MediaCom town. MediaCom raises rates about as fast as Obama unveils a new idea to take another freedom from the people. Also, THEIR SERVICE SUCKS, too.

If you need cable, get a dish, or chuck it all and just go to a sports bar to see NFL games. It still will be cheaper, unless you drink like Ted Kennedy.

Comment by PCD — 8/19/2009 @ 5:08 am

4. We were just about to drop AT&T and get Comcast. For broadband and phone, we could not care less about TV. We do not watch TV. Now you have given me pause, Scott and PA.

Comment by nk — 8/19/2009 @ 6:03 am

5. I would sooner be shot in my Happy Place than willingly go to Comcast.

If Mediacom blows as well, I need to research Verizon service, though I suspect that no one – ever – could be as worthless as God Damn Comcast.

I’m not joking… If the tech doesn’t arrive wearing a special “indoor” helmet and inform me repeatedly of his like of jello, I will be amazed.

Comment by Scott Jacobs — 8/19/2009 @ 6:30 am

6. I was going to go Verizon but I could only get 5 gigs of broadband per month. That’s not enough. I have unlimited 55K internet on my Blackberry but only on my Blackberry. If anyone knows how I can hack my Blackberry to make it into a modem for my laptop so I can have a normal keyboard and screen, I will send him $100.00 and four dozen cheese-spinach-strudel puffs.

Comment by nk — 8/19/2009 @ 6:41 am

7. Scott,

I am sorry to learn that we were not ale to schedule you sooner that Thursday. On top of that, we scheduled you for a whole day appointment. I am so sorry about that.

I can certainly make a few phone calls and see if we can schedule you sooner than Thursday and/or set you up for a better time frame on Thursday.

You can contact me and provide phone number on the account at the email below.

Thanks for providing the opportunity to assist.

Mark Casem
    Comcast Corp.
    National Customer Operations
    We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com

Comment by ComcastMark — 8/19/2009 @ 6:43 am

8. Heh! There are some companies, like ComEd and Nicor, where you have no choice but to go by their window. Companies who want my business but I don’t need theirs get this from me: “Ok, wait there for me between 10:00 and 2:00. I will be there sometime between those times.”

Comment by nk — 8/19/2009 @ 6:57 am

9. Considering that Mom is working today, and I foolishly opted to go to class, there won’t be anyone home today until after 4:30pm, and as the more technical of the two I would have to be the person the tech talks to, as I frankly don’t trust your people to not attempt to dazzle my mother with BS answers.

I’ve dealt with your techs before, and have in the past found their answers to be wanting – to put it kindly.

I have resigned myself to having to blow an entire day off of class waiting for your tech. Adjusting my day to be there for a tech to arrive today would not improve my opinion of your company or the service it provides. In fact, it would likely enrage me all the more. As it is, I’m pretty sure that I will be able to refrain from swearing, though depending on the non-answers your tech gives tomorrow that might well change.

I really do try to not take my anger over horrible service out on phone customer service reps, or people sent to fix problems. I realize they are but cogs in the works, and unable to fix the root cause of the issue, that being your near monopoly of the market and the indifference that breeds.

I wish to heaven I knew what my up/down speed was off the top of my head, so I could better gage the value of current Verizon offers (and if they had a monthly charge for a second HD DVR, I would be making a call to switch service as I type this, but alas it is a $199 one-time charge).

But I’ll e-mail you. I certainly hope you can do better than sending a tech to an empty house.

Comment by Scott Jacobs — 8/19/2009 @ 7:06 am

10. Companies who want my business but I don’t need theirs get this from me: “Ok, wait there for me between 10:00 and 2:00. I will be there sometime between those times.”

In a sane world, a company that takes my money in exchange for goods or service would say “What time would you like us to arrive?” or “We will arrive at this specific time” instead of “We will appear some time during a 12-hour period. Pray we don’t show up while you are in the shower or on the can, or you’ll be SOL”.

Comment by Scott Jacobs — 8/19/2009 @ 7:16 am

11. Pons, I highly recommend you avail yourself of the e-mail addy as well. I’d love for you to get some satisfaction too.

Comment by Scott Jacobs — 8/19/2009 @ 7:22 am

12. Cable companies have monopolies, to at least some limited extent, and think they can make a lot of money without great customer service.

I’m glad I don’t have cable anymore. I get internet a different way, and there’s nothing good on TV that I can’t get through the internet. Why would anyone bother with cable’s phone service? If you have a cell phone you don’t need landline. The only killer ap cable has is their internet speeds, and thank goodness that competitors are coming. Uverse, Verizon’s fiber, etc.

I’ve had a lot of bad experiences with cable companies over the years, so I’m fortunate I was able to talk the wife out of TV. We talk, read do interesting things, and have a much better life, now that the TV is usually turned off. Of course, if you need TV, satellites are cheaper, right?

Comment by Juan — 8/19/2009 @ 7:53 am

13. LOL at nk’s offer of cheese puffs. Wish I knew anything about blackberries.

And double LOL at Mark Casem’s offer to hook up the loud complainer with a readership. What about my mother in law? She routinely gets screwed by the cable company into buying services she doesn’t need because she’s got no clue about this stuff. But she doesn’t have a blog, so I guess she won’t get the special treatment? I would much rather Mark talk about how his company was going to make customer service better for everyone they serve.

Comment by Juan — 8/19/2009 @ 7:57 am

14. Verizon’s fiber

I would raze many nations to the ground for Verizon FiOs.

Comment by Scott Jacobs — 8/19/2009 @ 8:17 am

15. If anyone knows how I can hack my Blackberry to make it into a modem for my laptop so I can have a normal keyboard and screen, I will send him $100.00 and four dozen cheese-spinach-strudel puffs.

I will take that in twenties, please…

We talk

Wait… You actually talk with your wife?

So, what’s it like being a beta-male? :)

Amazing, isn’t it? If he fails to please me with a nice offer (or doesn’t call today) I think I’ll see about getting DRJ or Patterico to put this screed on the main site. Pat’s had a large jump in readership lately, so I suspect I might convince more people besides just nk to avoid switching to Verizon…

Comment by Scott Jacobs — 8/19/2009 @ 8:24 am

16. Sorry, Scott, no $100.00 for you. My Google Fu is not all that bad and I tried what you linked two months ago. It does not work on my Verizon-locked ParaCurve.

But as for the cheese-puffs, they’ll be there for you should you stop by this way. Along with beer, wine, whiskey, steaks, salad, and crusty bread. We mostly do not have or offer dessert. But my wife makes any kind of the best coffee you will ever have.

Comment by nk — 8/19/2009 @ 9:51 am

17. Have you tried getting the option known as “teathering”? Verizon charges $15 extra a month for the service.

Alternately, try this.

Comment by Scott Jacobs (in class) — 8/19/2009 @ 10:03 am

18. They told me $45.00. $15.00 for what I have and am paying for, and $30.00 for 5 gigs of broadband. And it’s just a card that I would stick into the computer. Not the Blackberry as a modem.

Ok, call me a cheapskate. But … IPhone was designed to be a modem. SmartPhones, too. And they are in Europe. But AT&T in America said, “Why can’t we screw them more”? And Verizon, T-Mobile et al said, “If AT&T can screw them, let’s get our sloppy seconds”.

Comment by nk — 8/19/2009 @ 10:25 am

19. Ahhh capitalism… :)

I’ll dig around with my geek buddies, and see what they have… What’s the model for your ParaCurve?

Comment by Scott Jacobs — 8/19/2009 @ 10:44 am

20. Never mind, Scott. It might actually be against the law to crack program codes for anything other than what the manufacturer wants you to have. I read a story about some poor guy who was arrested for modifying his XBox to accept third-party software.

But the invitation for good food and good booze is open should you ever come this way.

Comment by nk — 8/19/2009 @ 2:00 pm

21. I read a story about some poor guy who was arrested for modifying his XBox to accept third-party software.

Yeah, because the software was copywrited games… he was arrested for theft, not the modding of the box.

And that deal works fine for me. 😉

Comment by Scott Jacobs — 8/19/2009 @ 3:25 pm

22. and “signal issues” sounds like a cop-out

I have heard 20 variations of “line problem” from AT&T. They’re all lying little crapweasels. They oversell their service, and your signal will not go through their line during peak times, and if it does their server will not give you an IP. Their Chinese-made-piece-of-crap boxes and routers do not help either.

Comment by nk — 8/19/2009 @ 6:54 pm

23. Pons, I highly recommend you avail yourself of the e-mail addy as well. I’d love for you to get some satisfaction too.

Thanks Scott, I may do that, but quite frankly your blog on this subject was perfect and more than satisfying.

Totally vote for that!!

So, what’s it like being a beta-male?

I was thinking it, but didn’t want to say it (I guess that makes me a gamma-male) :-)

Comment by Pons Asinorum — 8/19/2009 @ 10:11 pm

24. #4 — Comment by nk — 8/19/2009 @ 6:03 am

nk, that is so funny because we were looking into AT&T!

Here is a bit about my setup/internet speeds:

Comcast has three tiers of high-speed internet services: performance (lowest), blast and ultra (highest).

I have the performance level and Comcast advertises 12Mb/s download and 2 Mb/s upload. I get close to these values: 11.8 Mb/s down and 1.6 Mb/s up.

This is pretty good considering my setup and hardware and I have always been pleased by this speed. I just wish they would be honest about their hardware and any issues they have with other network equipment/connections. The occasional router reboot “fix” is annoying.

I usually pay $33 a month (not counting taxes and in CA there is all kinds of crap). I have had my service prorated due to service outages (you have to call them, then fight like hell for it) and sometimes when they run introductory offers, I can get those prices too (you have to call them, then fight like hell for it) — right now I am paying $25 per month.

An aside:
    Wouldn’t it be great for a company to contact us and say “hey, we are currently having an introductory-rate special and will apply it to you, our long standing customer, in recognition of our appreciation…”

Well, it’s not Comcast, that’s for sure.

Comment by Pons Asinorum — 8/19/2009 @ 10:17 pm

25. #10 — Comment by Scott Jacobs — 8/19/2009 @ 7:16 am

I’m still laughing! So TRUE.

Comment by Pons Asinorum — 8/19/2009 @ 10:22 pm

26. Pons, while they don’t match the up/down speeds, Verizon doesn’t look too shabby.

Switch now, and you can get a compaq mini…

Comment by Scott Jacobs — 8/20/2009 @ 12:54 am

27. DirecTV — been a customer since 1994. Pricey, but worth it for HD. Works best in a house, though — the antenna placement isn’t all that optional.

DSL Extreme — I’ve tried everything except FiOS, which will probably never be in my area (AT&T). I’ve had these guys since about 1999 and seldom a problem. Personal service when there is — anything is better than some giant company.

If you can get FiOS, get it and get it now.

Comment by Kevin Murphy — 8/21/2009 @ 7:24 pm

28. No FiOS yet. I wish it would hurry up.

Comment by Scott Jacobs — 8/21/2009 @ 7:34 pm

29. how to configure best buying a motorola cable modem for

The Jury Talks Back » Comcast – worst company I have ever interacted with (updated)

Trackback by how to configure best buying a motorola cable modem for — 8/11/2014 @ 5:53 am

30. netgear dgn2200 manual uk

Trackback by netgear dgn2200 manual uk — 8/12/2014 @ 6:28 am

31. how to configure best best docsis 3 motorola cable modem for

Trackback by how to configure best best docsis 3 motorola cable modem for — 8/15/2014 @ 11:03 am

32. configurare router d’link 615 rds

Trackback by configurare router d'link 615 rds — 8/16/2014 @ 7:25 am

33. how to configure best comcast best how to configure modem

Trackback by how to configure best comcast best how to configure modem — 8/29/2014 @ 3:32 pm

34. how to configure best buying a best cable modem for comcast

Trackback by how to configure best buying a best cable modem for comcast — 9/1/2014 @ 4:30 pm

35. Backdoor modem Alcatel come Si risolve

Trackback by Backdoor modem Alcatel come Si risolve — 9/1/2014 @ 9:29 pm

36. how to configure best best docsis 3 buy cable modem for comcast

Trackback by how to configure best best docsis 3 buy cable modem for comcast — 9/4/2014 @ 6:55 pm

37. connessione router riga di comando linux

Trackback by connessione router riga di comando linux — 9/5/2014 @ 6:31 pm

38. how to configure best buying a buy cable modem for comcast

Trackback by how to configure best buying a buy cable modem for comcast — 9/5/2014 @ 6:35 pm

39. how to configure best best dsl how to connect xbox 360

Trackback by how to configure best best dsl how to connect xbox 360 — 9/6/2014 @ 12:40 pm

40. Tim internet pack 50

Trackback by Tim internet pack 50 — 9/6/2014 @ 3:49 pm

41. appuntamento disastroso

Trackback by appuntamento disastroso — 9/6/2014 @ 5:38 pm

42. perdite in gravidanza

Trackback by perdite in gravidanza — 9/6/2014 @ 9:44 pm

43. utilizzare questo link

Trackback by utilizzare questo link — 9/9/2014 @ 2:53 am

44. how to configure best comcast best cable modem for xbox

Trackback by how to configure best comcast best cable modem for xbox — 9/16/2014 @ 7:26 am

45. how to configure best best docsis 3 best wireless cable modem

Trackback by how to configure best best docsis 3 best wireless cable modem — 9/22/2014 @ 2:15 pm

46. tarquinio il superbo domini specifici quali aggiungi

Trackback by tarquinio il superbo domini specifici quali aggiungi — 9/25/2014 @ 12:45 am

47. how to configure adsl adsl adsl modem for bsnl

Trackback by how to configure adsl adsl adsl modem for bsnl — 10/2/2014 @ 9:20 am

48. how to configure best best best modem for xbox live

Trackback by how to configure best best best modem for xbox live — 10/3/2014 @ 1:54 pm

49. how to configure best buy modem for comcast xfinity

Trackback by how to configure best buy modem for comcast xfinity — 10/4/2014 @ 2:45 am

50. how to configure best cable best best comcast modem for

Trackback by how to configure best cable best best comcast modem for — 10/7/2014 @ 3:44 pm

51. how to configure best arris best wireless cable modem

Trackback by how to configure best arris best wireless cable modem — 10/11/2014 @ 3:33 pm

52. how to configure arris best cable modem for comcast

Trackback by how to configure arris best cable modem for comcast — 10/11/2014 @ 3:38 pm

53. how to configure best comcast do you why do i need a modem

Trackback by how to configure best comcast do you why do i need a modem — 10/12/2014 @ 8:48 am

54. tarquinio il superbo maribel guardia encuerada video

Trackback by tarquinio il superbo maribel guardia encuerada video — 10/13/2014 @ 11:47 pm

55. free software internet download manager serial key

Trackback by free software internet download manager serial key — 10/14/2014 @ 9:42 am

56. how to configure best comcast best do you need a modem for

Trackback by how to configure best comcast best do you need a modem for — 10/14/2014 @ 2:09 pm

57. how to configure best comcast how to configure modem settings

Trackback by how to configure best comcast how to configure modem settings — 10/16/2014 @ 2:42 pm

58. usb internet dongle kitwe times of zambia

Trackback by usb internet dongle kitwe times of zambia — 10/17/2014 @ 3:38 am

59. how to configure best comcast how to configure modem for

Trackback by how to configure best comcast how to configure modem for — 10/17/2014 @ 12:22 pm

60. how to configure best cable how to configure modem settings

Trackback by how to configure best cable how to configure modem settings — 10/22/2014 @ 1:38 pm

61. load balancing usborne free huongduongtxd internet links html

Trackback by load balancing usborne free huongduongtxd internet links html — 10/22/2014 @ 2:38 pm

62. best diet pills for 2013 for women