4/19/2009

Not Nearly Enough

Filed under: Uncategorized — Kevin M @ 8:43 pm

The NY Times breathlessly reports that Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, the organizer of the cold bloooded mass murders of 9-11was waterboarded 183 times.  Apparently this was both evil and ineffective.  Considering that I favor tossing him off of the Empire State Building while being consumed by napalm, I just cannot get worked up over this.  For all I care they could have been drilling his kneecaps 183 times.

But perhaps some federal judge will find fault and order him released.  Be about par for the course.

1. I’m only pissed that they didn’t call me to help.

Comment by Scott Jacobs — 4/19/2009 @ 9:22 pm

2. He would only experience one time being tossed off of the Empire State Building while being consumed by napalm. Of course, he would experience nothing thereafter in this world.

Comment by Ira — 4/19/2009 @ 10:38 pm

3. Hey, since Liberals always look abroad for their justification to violate US Law, why not declare knee-capping legal for interrogation? The IRA and other Irish terror organizations used it for interrogation for decades.

Comment by PCD — 4/20/2009 @ 5:57 am

4. Actually, one needs only look to al-Qaeda’s methods with captured soldiers. Reciprocity is the basis of all law.

Comment by Kevin Murphy — 4/20/2009 @ 7:39 am

5. I have no tears to shed for this scumbag either. That said, 183 times is a far cry from the earlier impression that he was only ‘boarded once, and then only for a few minutes.

Comment by fat tony — 4/20/2009 @ 5:16 pm

6. Kevin,

I can’t go with you there. Your blood lust is unseemly. If we’re not above that sort of behavior, then we don’t really have any claim to a universal moral imperative. It stops being a discussion about who is right and become race to determine who is stronger. Think of Lincoln’s Second Inaugural Address, we’re both praying to God and we have to hope that justice is on our side.

With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation’s wounds, to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan, to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations.

Comment by Fritz — 4/20/2009 @ 5:48 pm

7. He was waterboarded 183 times in one month – not (necessarily) in total. That’s roughly 6 times a day, unless they took weekends off?

Comment by Bob Loblaw — 4/20/2009 @ 5:57 pm

8. Fritz–

Why is reciprocity blood lust? The Geneva Convention is based on reciprocity. That we honor it when they don’t simply means they have no reason TO honor it.

As for Lincoln: nice words. Then they shot him.

And in the Reconstruction that followed, the failure to put down the Klan (and the Democrat Party that funded it) led to a century of terror for back folk.

Comment by Kevin Murphy — 4/20/2009 @ 7:29 pm

9. I probably a racist for saying this, but in the medeival mindset of the Muslim world, strength is everything. Remember “the stronger horse” theory? It is still applicable.

Comment by Dr. K — 4/21/2009 @ 3:16 am

10. PCD : Knee-capping is and was not an interogation tool. It was a punishment, less than death, for organizations that could not provide other means of punishment such as a prison term. You have been watching too much “24 Hours.”

Comment by Longwalker — 4/21/2009 @ 1:09 pm

11. 10, Longwalker, I’ve never watched 24. I don’t have the ability to receive broadcast TV other than EWTN, and I don’t watch that either.

Think about it. I shoot you in the knee, you either tell me what I want to know or I start shooting you in other places including the other knee. Just depends on how much I want to keep you alive. How many bullets can you take before you break?

Comment by PCD — 4/22/2009 @ 5:39 am

12. 10, Oh, if you really wanted to bring up getting the idea from Hollywood, you should have mentioned “Dirty Harry”, the interrogation in Kezar Stadium, or “Patriot Games” where the IRA mole was shot in the knee to give information on the plan to kill Jack Ryan and kidnap the Royals at Ryan’s home.

Comment by PCD — 4/22/2009 @ 5:42 am