3/8/2009

March 15th is EATAPETA Day

Filed under: Uncategorized — aunursa @ 9:40 am

March 15th is the seventh annual EATAPETA Day.  In commemoration of the group that calls itself “People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals,” participants make a special effort to include animals and animal products in our menus for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  As founder Meryl Yourish wrote back in 2003,

PETA has started yet another offensive ad campaign.  This one really reaches bottom–they are using Holocaust terminology, quotes, and pictures to liken the “slaughter” of animals to the slaughter of Jews by the Nazis.

I’ve already received a letter from a child of Holocaust survivors who is, of course, extraordinarily offended.  But here’s the thing: PETA is known for this kind of outrageous publicity stunt–and that’s what it is, an outrageous publicity stunt–and while I am offended and outraged, there is absolutely nothing we can do that will make PETA change their ad campaign…

So let’s make up our own outrageous publicity stunt.  Let’s designate Saturday, March 15, as International Eat an Animal for PETA Day.  Everybody set the date on your calendar, and either go out and enjoy a great steak, or cook one at home.  Or cook up some chicken or fish or anything else that PETA wouldn’t want you to eat.

The name was later shortened to “EATAPETA Day.”

Remember some of the disgusting work that PETA has done to draw attention to itself…

• A comic “Your Daddy Kills Animals,” telling children that their fathers who fish are bloodthirsty, sadistic murderers who might kills their pet dogs and cats — complete with graphic illustration.
  • A companion comic, “Your Mommy Kills Animals,” designed to traumatize kids whose mothers wear fur, with a blood illustration and photos.
  • Following a bombing in Jerusalem, PETA sent a letter protesting the death of the donkey that was wired with explosives.  PETA expressed no regret over the deaths of people killed by the terrorists.
  • PETA used Christian images, including one ad with the shroud of Turin while claiming that Jesus was a vegetarian, and another ad showing the Virgin Mary breastfeeding baby Jesus

I know that most people include meat and dairy in your meals every day.  The idea for EATAPETA Day is to make a special point to eat food that PETA would not want you to eat.  Vegetarians who are disgusted with PETA’s offensive tactics can take part too — enjoy extra helpings of milk, cheese, other dairy products, and eggs.  Feel free to notify PETA that you are participating in EATAPETA Day.

1. As I’ve noted before, I’d be an animal-rights person if weren’t for the fact that the animal rights folks are insane.

Aren’t there some rational animal rights organizations out there? If not, why not?

–JRM

Comment by JRM — 3/8/2009 @ 1:03 pm

2. I like mine with lettuce and tomato
    Heinz 57 and french fried potatoes
    Big kosher pickle and a cold draft beer
    Well good God Almighty which way do I steer?

(h/t Roy Rogers at PowerLine Forum)

I don’t normally do breakfast or lunch, but since the 15th is on a Sunday, I think I’ll whip up a batch of my special beef stew, famous from one end of my apartment to the other… :)

Comment by cvproj — 3/8/2009 @ 4:25 pm

3. I’ll be looking for unweaned lamb. That’s right. A cute, cuddly, curly-wooled, little lamb that’s still sucking its momma’s tit that I’ll cook in about five different ways. Seriously.

Comment by nk — 3/8/2009 @ 5:00 pm

4. Hey – I thought PETA stood for “People Eating Tasty Animals” ???

So that’s why I couldn’t register the name of my organisation of voluntary carnivores as PETA … whoulda thunk ?

Comment by Alasdair — 3/8/2009 @ 10:13 pm

5. I really wish that they would schedule that day so that it fell outside lent. I don’t do meat during lent. Not because I find it objectionable, but rather the opposite — because I miss it.

Still, I’ll be with you guys in spirit — and will eat an extra hamburger the Monday after Easter for EataPETA day.

Comment by Mark L — 3/9/2009 @ 6:22 am

6. Lent joke!

It’s the wedding night, and the bride has made herself as attractive as possible. She sees her new husband brush his teeth, put on his pajamas, give her a loving but nonetheless chaste kiss, and say “Goodnight”.

Bemused, she asks, “But aren’t we … you know?”

He says, “I’m sorry, my love, we can’t”.

She asks, “Why not?”

He says, “Because it’s Lent”.

She says, “Lent? To whom and for how long?”

Comment by nk — 3/9/2009 @ 7:09 am

7. […] March 15th is EATAPETA Day! And speaking of […]

Pingback by Monday morning roundup | And Still I Persist — 3/9/2009 @ 7:37 am

8. Mark L. That’s a good point. I’ll suggest to Meryl that she consider rescheduling EATAPETA Day next year.

Comment by aunursa — 3/9/2009 @ 8:38 am

9. Last year I ate veal in honor of Eatapeta day, ‘cose you can’t get any more anti-peta than eating veal. However, the people of the State of California in their infinite wisdom passed Prop. 5 or 6 or whatever, and now I can no longer find veal in the one local supermarket that used to carry it. But that’s OK, its not like the California economy is hurting or anything.

Comment by Sean P — 3/9/2009 @ 5:44 pm

10. Bacon w/one egg for breakfast, rotisserie chicken from Walmart for dinner. Yum Might as well tick off the liberals that don’t approve of Walmart at the same time as the PETA people.

Comment by PatAZ — 3/10/2009 @ 7:35 pm

11. Make mine a side of Alicia Silverstone for EATAPETA day.

Comment by peedoffamerican — 3/12/2009 @ 11:33 pm