3/1/2009

First step in Richard Allen Davis appeal

Filed under: Uncategorized — aunursa @ 8:05 pm

On Tuesday the California Supreme Court will hear the automatic appeal in the Richard Allen Davis death penalty case.  In 1996 Davis, a career criminal with a long rap sheet including several violent crimes against women, was convicted of the murder of 12 year-old Polly Klaas.

On October 1, 1993 Davis kidnapped Polly at knifepoint from her own bedroom in Petaluma, then raped and strangled her.  Two months later Davis was arrested and led policy to her body 50 miles away.  The shocking nature of the crime garnered national attention and was cited as a primary reason for the enactment of the “Three Strikes” law for convicted felons.

Davis, now 54, has been incarcerated for the murder for more than 15 years.  Assuming that the Supreme Court upholds the sentence, in another two months this monster will have been on death row for longer than Polly Klaas was alive.

And the appeal to the state supreme court is just the first step.  “Davis can continue appeals through the state and federal court system.”

1. Wow, amazing that he’s no further in the appeals process. Quite a commentary about the efficiency of the system.

Comment by anne — 3/1/2009 @ 8:17 pm

2. Does anyone know why it took 12 years for this case to get on the Court’s calendar?

Comment by Kevin Murphy — 3/2/2009 @ 12:08 am

3. Yet, if he had simply been sentenced to life without parole, the state would have saved a pot of money and we’d never hear about this fine gentleman again. The way it is now, y’all will spend a clear pile of money, and he’ll still die in prison, of old age.

According to the Death Penalty Information Center, California has 667 people on death row, and has executed 13 since the death penalty was reinstated in 1974. That’s an average of one execution carried out every three years. How long do you think it’ll take you to work through the 667 people already on death row? The last prisoner should be executed in the year 3811!

Can someone tell me what good having capital punishment is really doing for you?

Comment by The Dana who doesn't support capital punishment — 3/2/2009 @ 3:56 am

4. This animal should have been taken out to the prison yard after 1 year, have a 12 gauge stuck in his mouth, and the “coup de grace” administered. The animal would have never felt any pain and death instantaneous.

Dana, Ted Bundy never killed again.

Comment by PCD — 3/2/2009 @ 7:29 am

5. There was a death penalty case, a very long time ago, where somebody got the death penalty for paying a hitman in prison to kill the murderer of a loved one. Killing a prisoner and contract killings are both qualifiers for the death penalty in most murder statutes. It was a long time ago and I do not remember whether he was, in fact, executed.

Comment by nk — 3/2/2009 @ 8:26 am

6. There are many murders committed in prison. Where are the bleeding heart ACLU about that?

Comment by PCD — 3/2/2009 @ 8:31 am

7. I like this lady.

Comment by nk — 3/2/2009 @ 8:36 am

8. Dana: The solution is not to abolish the death penalty. The solution is to streamline the appeals process.

If the appeals were all scheduled and heard such that the period from sentencing to execution was, say, five years, would that be acceptable? Or would death penalty opponents complain that the state was “rushing to execute”?

Comment by aunursa — 3/2/2009 @ 8:38 am

9. Comment by PCD — 3/2/2009 @ 8:31 am

Who really wants to know what hellholes are prisons are, PCD?

Comment by nk — 3/2/2009 @ 8:39 am

10. There is no problem here that a handful of impeachments wouldn’t solve.

Comment by Kevin Murphy — 3/2/2009 @ 9:44 am

11. Who really wants to know what hellholes are prisons are, PCD?

Comment by nk — 3/2/2009 @ 8:39 am

NK, Prisons are not to be country clubs or cushy. While I don’t think prisons should be as austere as in Japan, I think some one like Sheriff Joe Arpaio ought to be the model. The idea is to punish and encourage the offender not to repeat.

Not the schools of crime they have become and are defended by the ACLU.

Comment by PCD — 3/2/2009 @ 10:23 am

12. 10, Unless you get Obama, Biden, Pelosi, and the Democrat majority of the Senate, you will get the same softheaded, internationalist ACLU types on the SC as you would be replacing.

Comment by PCD — 3/2/2009 @ 10:25 am

13. I’m all for killing the bastards the week following a FAIR trial! Preferably by public square hanging.

But until the time we can be assured that the Nifong’s and those of his ilk, are no longer present in the system, it might be best to hold off on that.

Comment by TC — 3/2/2009 @ 1:13 pm

14. Start with the Nifong’s.

Comment by AD - RtR/OS — 3/2/2009 @ 6:05 pm

15. As a 10 year old girl in 1993, living in Sonoma County, this was probably the most traumatic period of my young life. I slept on the floor of my parents room for MONTHS because I was so afraid being alone in my room at night. I wasn’t the only one. All my friends both male and female didn’t feel safe IN THEIR OWN HOMES! Our schools had counselors we could talk to because it was such a stressful time for us kids. She was taken in Petaluma and found in Cloverdale which means he drove himself right through Santa Rosa on his way to dump her young body.

Te idea that this son of a bitch is still alive let alone filing an appeal stating that being on death row for 14 years is cruel and unusual punishment just makes me sick. I know there’s no way in hell that son of a bitch will ever get out of jail, but just seeing his face again on TV from the day his sentencing was read made all the emotions I felt as a 10 year old girl rush back. I feel sick that he would even conceive of this.

Personally the day he admitted to kidnapping and killing Polly Klaas was the day he should have been executed. He led the police to the body for Christ sake! Today is yet another sad day for the American justice system. It’s games like this that inmates play that are the reason our prison systems are so bogged down with career violent criminals. He should be gone already.

Comment by Jessica — 3/3/2009 @ 10:34 pm

16. Jessica: Direct hit! And I agree completely.. how this sadistic piece of crap killer still BREATHES is beyond me. Kalifornia is so messed up and it just gets worse. I hope someone off’s him. I’d pay for it or provide the bullets!

Comment by JJ — 3/3/2009 @ 11:18 pm