2/24/2009

More Posters Needed?

Filed under: Uncategorized — Patterico @ 2:11 am

I had this whole plan of having guest bloggers at this site every week, and I forgot about it. In any event, I’m thinking of throwing open the floodgates to many more people. I thought with 12-13 people posting it would be pretty hopping here, but it’s actually quieter than at the main blog.

Thoughts?

1. I think you’re going to have to keep up some cyclical changes of contributors here. Regular blogging sounds like tons of fun, and successful bloggers like yourself make it look easy. But, it isn’t easy to post often, especially with good stuff.

When you first floated the idea of this side blog, I was tempted to throw my name in the hat (with no expectation of being accepted), because it sounded fun. But, knowing myself, I didn’t think I could be counted on to contribute all that much, even if I could sweet-talk you into selecting me.

You ended up with a pretty good sized list, if I recall correctly. I don’t know how many of those you’d consider accepting, but I think you’re just going to need to give people trial periods and see how they do, and replace people that don’t keep up with what you deem sufficient contribution.

Comment by Buzz Killington — 2/24/2009 @ 5:04 am

2. I don’t even mind insufficient contribution; it just means I need more people than I had realized.

Comment by Patterico — 2/24/2009 @ 7:07 am

3. Patterico,

I’m attempting to blog on my own, http://theloosecannonontheright.blogspot.com/

If you like what you see, maybe we can work something out. I am trying to do a minimum of one post by Sunday, but I am aiming for more.

Comment by PCD — 2/24/2009 @ 7:09 am

4. Three posters? Not nearly enough. Even a bed need four posters.

Comment by Mark L — 2/24/2009 @ 7:40 am

5. Well, to me, if there are lots and lots of posters, especially with intermittent posts, its hard to keep mental note of who has said what in the past. It’s hard to keep track of who the posters “are”, if that makes any sense. That’s a main reason I don’t regularly read the Corner, for example.

But, I guess that would be a better problem to have than a lack of posts, and it can certainly be handled as things progress.

Comment by Buzz Killington — 2/24/2009 @ 9:40 am

6. Do you want a post on

My daughter’s scarlet fever;
    My new crown on a lower bicuspid;
    Traditional Greek lamb, oven-roasted potatoes and artichokes;
    A whistle made from a piece of the lamb’s leg bone that we did not give to the dog?

Comment by nk — 2/24/2009 @ 9:49 am

7. Patterico – might you have any interests in questions from a resident alien on Constitutional and Civics topics, initially from the perspective of the resident alien, then opened for discussion, enlightenment, and, of course, derision ?

As an example – a post on “Why do so many Americans insist that the Budget is the responsibility of the President/Governor, and so few seem to realise that the Budget is the responsibility of the Congress/Legislature ?”

Might such posts be genuine stimulus (which our State and country so desperately need) ?

Comment by Alasdair — 2/24/2009 @ 1:32 pm

8. Obviously, quantity is a big deal for a blog. Quality is, too, though. I’m all for adding bloggers, but make it the right ones – nk can surely think of something else to post other than what he says there, and Joco or some other people I’m missing are good.

Or you could just start paying Scott Jacobs and Kevin Murphy, and then you’d get quantity and quality. I’d suggest if it’s the *right* people, it’d be hard to have too many posters. On the other side, just one of the wrong people can hurt the tone of the blog.

–JRM

Comment by JRM — 2/24/2009 @ 5:33 pm

9. I already commented on the Twitter thread. No offense to the fine people who post here, but does Rolex sub-contract?

Comment by nk — 2/24/2009 @ 6:03 pm

10. More posters would be good…I’d offer my services, but I’ll be headed out of the country in a couple of weeks to work in Saudi Arabia for a year (I’d offer to drop an occasional like about life in an Arab country, if you’d like?)…

Comment by fmfnavydoc — 2/24/2009 @ 9:51 pm

11. fmfnavydoc,

Citizen Smash was able to blog from the sandbox while he was Lt. Smash, since promoted to Lt. Cmdr. in the states. I’d tend to think we’d enjoy a post or two. If Patterico won’t take you up on the offer, I will.

PCD, the Loose Cannon on the Right.

Comment by PCD — 2/25/2009 @ 6:48 am

12. PCD – thanks…please e-mail me at fmfnavydoc@hotmail.com so I have you address if you are still interested, and I can give you some details about what I’ll be doing over in Saudi…

Patterico…I offer my services to your blog

Comment by fmfnavydoc — 2/25/2009 @ 9:52 am

13. Ok, I’ve got one but I don’t know who here, and how much, will like it.

Kathryn Johnston’s murder was a death penalty case. I’ll reserve judgment on the judge since I don’t know how much deference he is required to pay to a plea-bargain under Georgia’s laws, but I think the prosecutor should be thrown out of office and not allowed to ever practice law again. He is a variation of Nifong, just pandering to a different pressure group.

Comment by nk — 2/25/2009 @ 9:56 am

14. U.S. District Judge Julie Carnes sentenced former officer Gregg Junnier to six years in prison, Jason Smith to 10 years in prison and Arthur Tesler to five years in prison.

Source article
    ******

Documents reveal details in Johnston slaying, cover-up

This time, Smith had authored the trumped-up affidavit. For all three, it was business as usual.

…But part of his side income came from “security jobs” prosecutors say he ran while on duty,…

…But Sheats was unreliable, so they called White at 5:05 p.m. to come make a buy to prove a dealer lived there. White couldn’t come. But for this squad, it didn’t matter. They’d just invent the facts they needed….

source article

*******
    Prosecutors say the three ex-cops should be equally responsible for one thing: They must pay Johnston’s estate $8,180 — the cost of burying her.

The judge so ordered that as well.

All three should have gotten 15-25, let the jailers figure out who is to be let out. Hopefully they get general population as well so they can join some of the “friends” they made during their crime spree and be rewarded!

Comment by TC — 2/25/2009 @ 10:35 am

15. Oh and this persons view of the Ryan Fredrick case

Heros from the “war on citizens err drugs”.

Comment by TC — 2/25/2009 @ 10:42 am

16. I’d offer to drop an occasional like about life in an Arab country, if you’d like?)…

Comment by fmfnavydoc — 2/24/2009 @ 9:51 pm

I vote yes! How great to have a bird’s eye view of such a hotbed region, and from such a thoughtful commenter (with good politics), too.

Comment by Dana — 2/25/2009 @ 6:11 pm

17. Dana, I’m taking him up on the offer on my blog.

Comment by PCD — 2/26/2009 @ 8:10 am

18. I’d give a hearty recommendation for nk, as a permament juror. Other people, well you have the e-mail addresses of the regular commenters, and an occasional, almost surprise invitation, “Hey, how about posting on the Jury for a week,” would really be flattering to some people, such as John Hitchcock, EW1(SG) and Mike K.

Comment by The Dana who respects a Chicago barrister — 2/28/2009 @ 5:54 pm

19. And while you don’t use pictures often, if you’ve ever looked at the photography on the prettier Dana’s photoblog (like this one), you might consider some of her work as a change of pace.

Comment by The uglier Dana — 2/28/2009 @ 5:58 pm

20. Dana,

Post up links of her stuff any day.

I makes for a nice break from stuff like this..
    Dangerous moments for cops, caught on tape

Probably not their finest moments.

Comment by TC — 2/28/2009 @ 6:20 pm

21. It sure won’t make their Top 10…

Comment by Scott Jacobs — 2/28/2009 @ 6:36 pm

22. TC, your wish is my command!

Comment by The Dana who can't take pictures — 3/1/2009 @ 8:53 am

23. OT, but what isn’t at Patterico’s? My “The Ballad of Kathryn Johnston” (not Shawn Mullins’s) has first Google rank.

Comment by nk — 3/1/2009 @ 12:39 pm

24. I’m strange, I’m contrary, and I do stream of consciousness like nobody’s business. My posting is also haphazard, and I should be going into hospital to get stabilized on my meds in about a week.

I’m also starting to wonder we’ll start seeing people covering the President Obama suicide watch. The man is not what I’d call emotionally stable. And I know emotional instability.

Comment by Alan Kellogg — 3/4/2009 @ 3:37 pm