The Jury Talks Back

2/17/2009

SFSU College Republicans threatened for anti-Hamas protest

Filed under: Uncategorized — aunursa @ 8:30 pm

During a 2006 anti-terrorism rally, members of the San Francisco State College Republicans stepped on papers representing the flags of Hamas and Hezbollah. The flags of the terrorist groups contain the word “Allah.”  Following the rally the Associated Students unanimously passed a resolution condemning the CR’s for “hateful religious intolerance” and for deliberately stomping on the flags “knowing it would offend some people and possibly incite violence.”  After a student complained that the CR’s had attempted “to incite violence and create a hostile environment,” the university conducted an investigation.  The Foundation for Individual Rights in Education, a non-partisan group that fights for free speech on university campuses, became involved in defense of the CR’s, and eventually the university backed down.

Still, the CR’s filed a lawsuit against the university for infriging on their civil rights.  Ultimately a judge barred SFSU from enforcing portions of the student conduct code that required students to act consistent with the university’s goals, principles, and policies.  The injunction also barred the entire California State University system from enforcing a policy requiring students to “be civil to one another.”

The ever-vigilant Philadelphia-based FIRE reports that the same scenario is playing out again.  Last Wednesday at an anti-Hamas rally, members of the College Republicans threw shoes at a Hamas flag and stepped on the flag.  According to this article in the student newspaper, violence erupted as a counter-protestor overturned a table that the students were using.  Two counter-protestors were arrested and charged with battery, resisting arrest, and petty theft (for stealing the flag that the CR’s had made.)  [Video here]

Now the CR’s report that they have received inside information that the General Union of Palestinian Students and the Muslim Student Association plan to make the following demands of the school:

• drop all charges against the counter-protesters
  • punish or sanction the CR’s for throwing shoes at the Hamas flag
  • organize a forum to “educate” students about what forms of speech are considered “unacceptable” forms of “hate speech”

Bear in mind that SFSU is considered by many to be one of the most hostile campuses for Jewish and pro-Israel students, with a shameful history that rivals perhaps only UC Irvine.  Stay tuned as we see whether the administration has learned its lesson and now realizes that the College Republicans are protected by the First Amendment.

4 Comments

1. Well, I think I just decided where *I* want to go to finish my degree…

Would you happen to know how SFSU’s accounting program is? :)

Comment by Scott Jacobs — 2/17/2009 @ 11:15 pm

2. Why no do this?

1. Buy a Hamas flag
    2. Have a open “ceremony” where it is cut into toilet paper sized pieces.
    3. Hand out said pieces outside of restrooms around campus.

Comment by Dr. K — 2/18/2009 @ 1:07 am

3. Liberals are intolerant hypocrites. The College Republicans ought to go further on the offensive and sue the Hamas supporters, get injunctions and restraining orders, then get them declared vexious litigants. That ought to neuter them.

Comment by PCD — 2/18/2009 @ 5:52 am

4. […] PREVIOUSLY: SFSU College Republicans threatened for anti-Hamas protest […]

Pingback by The Jury Talks Back » Hate speech at San Francisco State — 7/21/2009 @ 5:54 pm

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Powered by WordPress.