12/17/2008

Why does the UAW want a bailout of the Big Three?

Filed under: Uncategorized — Scott Jacobs @ 9:39 am

Well, obviously, if the Big Three go under, the UAW won’t be able to use dues paid to cover the almost $5-million-per-year-over-the-last-5-years loss for their Black Lake Golf Club.

Over the last 5 years, the golf resort has operated at a total loss of $23 million.  It is part of the UAW’s Walter and May Reuther Family Education Center, which is situated on 1,000 heavily forested acres along the southeast side of Black Lake.

Seems the cost for a round of golf is $95, and I don’t know about you but I know of very little worth $95 that isn’t something I can take home and use over and over again.  Dropping almost a c-note on freaking golf is one of the silliest things you could suggest to me.

BTW, the UAW has approximately $1.23 BILLION in assets.

I say let the fockers fund their own pension system.

1. Not knowing anything about the Black Lake Golf Club, I would point out that $95 is — believe it or not — not all that expensive for high-end golf courses. Playing one of the famous courses here in the U.S. such as Pebble Beach can set you back $300-400 per round.

Of course that is not meant to gloss over the fact that the UAW would actually have its own golf course or manage it so poorly that it would be a consistent money loser (during strong economic years and a golf boom in America to boot).

Comment by JVW — 12/17/2008 @ 10:53 am

2. Name for me one thing Union run that makes a profit without government subsidy.

Comment by PCD — 12/17/2008 @ 11:47 am

3. “I say let the fockers fund their own pension system.” +1,000

They are probably losing money on the Golf Course venture because they have pay ridiculously hi wages to union golf course employees!

Comment by J. Raymond Wright — 12/17/2008 @ 11:51 am

4. 3, JRW, I would want to see who the UAW pays what at this golf course. I remember the unions paying people less money to picket Wal-Mart than Wal-Mart pays people to be the greeter at Wal-Mart.

Comment by PCD — 12/17/2008 @ 12:01 pm

5. PCD: there are all sorts of small-scale food cooperatives which turn profits.

Comment by aphrael — 12/18/2008 @ 12:31 pm

6. aphrael, start naming them, their size, and the union that runs them WITHOUT SUBSIDY.

Comment by PCD — 12/18/2008 @ 12:58 pm

7. Yeah, I don’t think most co-ops have much in the ways of Unions…

Comment by Scott Jacobs — 12/18/2008 @ 1:01 pm

8. Being a union man myself, I still say they should suck wind. Greed at the bargaining table is as big a sin as greed in the board room. The whole stinking mess needs to be tilled under to fertilize the soil.
    I know what a morass the collapse of the Pig 3 will bring. But if you do what you always do… you get what you always get. If Chrysler were allowed to fold under Iaccoca, do you think the UAW and the Board Room cattle might have gotten a little scared?
    we’ll never know. But I think it’s time we find out.

Comment by pitchforksntorches — 12/18/2008 @ 6:20 pm

9. I can’t seem to get a straight answer (Or don’t know where to look.) Does the Black Lake Golf Club have, in fact, any union employees?

Comment by pitchforksntorches — 12/18/2008 @ 6:29 pm

10. I honestly have no idea.

I would suspect that the UAW would greatly frown upon staff forming or joining a union…

Comment by Scott Jacobs — 12/18/2008 @ 7:37 pm