12/8/2008

While California sinks deeper into debt, reps get shiny new wheels

Filed under: California Politics — aunursa @ 5:49 am

The state of California currently suffers from an $18 billion budget deficit.  Yet the San Francisco Chronicle reports that several California state senators and half of the state assembly, including most of the 28 newly elected members, have leased new vehicles from the state.

The fleet includes a brand-new $32,000 Toyota Camry for new Sen. Mark Leno (D), a pair of $34,000 Nissan Altimas for new Sen. Mark DeSaulnier (D) and Sen. Joe Simitian (D), and a $46,000 Cadillac CTS for Sen. Bob Huff (R).  While the rest of the state is expected to pinch our pennies, the lawmakers will use $1.3 million of taxpayers’ hard-earned dollars to provide themselves with these luxuries, including free gas and maintenance.

Keep this in mind when California lawmakers complain that they can’t cut any more waste from the state budget.  Remind them that during these difficult economic times, they could save money by leasing pre-owned used cars instead of new ones.  Or better yet, while many of them lecture their constituents to get out of our cars, they should set examples by riding the bus (and the train … and the light rail.)

1. …or maybe they could use their own damn cars and get reimbursed for work-related expenses (parking, though not gas)? Just like my wife and I do?

Comment by Tom — 12/8/2008 @ 6:48 am

2. Amen #1.

As a US govt employee I used my own car and was reimbursed at the rate of .22 per mile driven on official business plus parking and tolls and less the round trip mileage from my home to my office.

Today the rate is .585/mile. The rate is adjusted periodically and will probably decrease due to the recent fall in gas prices.

Comment by Stu707 — 12/8/2008 @ 11:17 am

3. […] Aunursa, one of Patterico’s “Jury” sidebloggers, wrote: While California sinks deeper into debt, reps get shiny new wheels […]

Pingback by Common Sense Political Thought » Blog Archive » Are politicians really this dumb? — 12/8/2008 @ 6:09 pm

4. It never ceases to amaze me how our politicians just “don’t get it”.

What are they thinking ??

Comment by Shirley — 12/9/2008 @ 5:54 am

5. If our elected representatives in Sacramento were truly interested in dealing with the budget crisis they are facing, instead of the newcomers signing up for the obligatory auto-lease, the legislature as a whole would cancel the program as a symbol of the sacrifice that they will make leading the state back into fiscal sanity?

Not a chance of that ever happening!

Comment by Another Drew — 12/9/2008 @ 9:32 am

6. I hear that Arnold is thinking about a Cabinet post, leaving the mess to Garamendi.

Comment by Kevin Murphy — 12/9/2008 @ 11:11 am

7. Comment by Kevin Murphy — 12/9/2008 @ 11:11 am
    Well, our gain will be The One’s loss.

Seriously, though, I couldn’t imagine any job in the BHO admin that Arnold would be qualified for – though that’s never stopped politicians before from committing serial stupidity.

Comment by Another Drew — 12/9/2008 @ 11:16 am

8. Kevin: sadly, I see no reasosn to beleive that Garamendi would do any better a job.

I used to be unalterably opposed to a constitutional convention. I’m beginning to think it might be the least of the available evils.

Comment by aphrael — 12/9/2008 @ 12:04 pm

9. aphrael–

I’m a long-standing advocate of 4 Californias.
    1. “Southern California” :Inyo, Kern, San Bernardino and everything south
    2. “San Joaquin”: San Joaquin Valley
    3. “Northern California”: The coast from Mendicno down to Monterrey and into Santa Clara< Napa, Alameda etc
    4. “South Oregon”: The North over to Nevada and down to Mono. (OK, “Sierra”)

or somesuch.

California with 30 million+ is too unwieldy to govern. We can stick the bills with Uncle Sugar if we act fast….

Comment by Kevin Murphy — 12/9/2008 @ 8:54 pm

10. I think San Diego might object to that. :)

Comment by aphrael — 12/9/2008 @ 10:23 pm

11. […] should I have my pay withheld when I’m being held hostage by a minority?”  (As previously reported here, and contrary to most other states, California lawmakers receive among their many perks free new […]

Pingback by The Jury Talks Back » California legislators refuse to take responsibility for budget crisis — 7/21/2009 @ 5:53 pm