11/24/2008

Kinda sad, really…

Filed under: Uncategorized — Scott Jacobs @ 11:07 am

Alan Colmes will be leaving Hannity & Colmes at the end of the year.

I’m actually very sorry to hear this, because, ironically, I find Mr. Colmes to be one of the best people on FoxNews these days.

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: I think he is a man who came to his stance on issues due to thoughtful consideration.  Lord knows I don’t agree with much of what he says, but he seems like a decent guy, and someone of an opposing viewpoint with whom you could talk in a reasoned manner, and not have it devolve into name-calling and accusations of racism.

“I approached Bill Shine (FNC’s Senior Vice President of Programming) earlier this year about wanting to move on after 12 years to develop new and challenging ways to contribute to the growth of the network. Although it’s bittersweet to leave one of the longest marriages on cable news, I’m proud that both Sean (Hannity) and I remained unharmed after sitting side by side, night after night for so many years.”

He’ll keep his radio show on FoxTalk, and he’ll stick around as a liberal commentator (though frankly even though he’s on the Left, he is at worst a small “l” liberal, and not some wacko like Pelosi or Reid), but no longer will he be sitting beside Sean Hannity.

I hope he ends up with his own show on Fox.   I think he still has a lot to offer the network.

1. I’m glad you like him. I find him likeable at times, but he does tend to twist the words of the conservative guests. Sean seems to be calming down after the election and doesn’t have his veins bulging, but I wonder who they’ll get to be his partner. I hope not that guy who was Hillary’s campaign manager.

Comment by Jeanette — 11/24/2008 @ 11:49 am

2. AC has played the role of useful idiot for a dozen years. Hannity needed an unworthy foil and AC fit the bill.

Bob Beckel will be the replacement. Book it.

Comment by Ed — 11/24/2008 @ 2:26 pm

3. Personality wise, although I disagree with pretty much everything he says, I don’t mind watching Colmes. And, although I probably agree with most of Hannity’s ideas, I absolutely can’t listen to him for more than 10 seconds. What IS it about him that makes me feel like my eyeballs are going to explode?

Comment by brobin — 11/24/2008 @ 6:33 pm

4. Scott, Colmes was lame. He was a weak defender of democrats and that’s probably the reason he was there. So to me, it’s no wonder that you liked him.

Comment by Psyberian — 11/24/2008 @ 6:49 pm

5. Scott, have you listen to Colmes’ radio broadcasts on Sirius? He’s pretty tame on the TV, but when he does his radio show, WOW, does he come off at times as a real jerk (putting that mildly).

Comment by fmfnavydoc — 11/24/2008 @ 7:04 pm

6. Have you not heard Hannity on the radio?

Hell, have you ever heard me talk in person? I sound downright SANE on here by comparison… :)

Comment by Scott Jacobs — 11/24/2008 @ 7:17 pm

7. My wife & I have been hoping for a more effective counterbalance to Hannity. Colmes seemed to consult notes frequently for details and talking points. His response is often “well your side did it too” sometimes reaching back years earlier for an example. He stumbles in his words, and his mannerisms don’t confirm confidence on his part. Typically, his arguments can be classified into only a few categories–there is rarely anything new from him.

Whoever is the replacement, we hope for serious discussion and debate to replace the everyone’s-talking-at-the-same-time-shouting match the show generally presents.

We stopped watching some time ago. We’re wondering if–after 12 years–Fox has seen fit to freshen up the liberal side. Maybe with Juan Williams?

Comment by ManlyDad — 11/24/2008 @ 7:32 pm

8. Alan Colmes was instrumental in spreading vicious and utterly unfounded rumors about Sarah Palin. We find him utterly unwatchable (always did, in fact). He does not seem rational.

For the life of me I cannot see why folks hate Hannity, other than his unrelenting good cheer. He treats lefties entirely too nicely. Mark Levin is much more up my alley. (It goes without saying that I listen to Rush.)

Comment by Peg C. — 11/25/2008 @ 4:06 am

9. He was relentless in his recitations of DNC talking points. I won’t miss that. I would love to see Hannity against someone who can think on their feet. Hannity and Colmes is a long way devolved from Crossfire in its heyday. Maybe they can fix it, but I don’t think Bob Beckel will get them there. I would bet that their viewers actually want 5 nights of “Hannity’s America,” which is scary.

Comment by carlitos — 11/25/2008 @ 8:31 am

10. For the life of me I cannot see why folks hate Hannity, other than his unrelenting good cheer.

Its funny you say this because what you see as relenting good cheer, I see as smug disingenuousness! I just can’t bear him. I would even go so far and say that I think he’s so bad at debating he actually does harm to sound arguments – and I say that as one who essentially agrees with the essence of his arguments.

(I was never fond of Colmes, either).

Comment by Dana — 11/25/2008 @ 6:36 pm