11/21/2008

BCS

Filed under: Uncategorized — JD @ 8:57 pm

This weekend should add to the annual BCS drama, and the travesty that is the lack of a college football playoff system.  Now, you all likely know that I cannot stand that dirty little pseudo-socialist Baracky, but if the only thing he ever accomplishes by throwing his weight around is to force the NCAA to somehow implement a college football playoff system, then he will not have to worry about being a worse President than Jimmy Carter.

Now, when Oklahoma beats Texas Tech on Saturday night, there will be 3 mighty giants in the Big 12 South, all tied with each other, and all with a home win and a road loss against each other.  Any selection of one over either of the others will be arbitrary, at best, assuming no further losses along with way.  All will have one a good game at home, and lost a good game on the road.

Personally, I think Texas Tech and Oklahoma are the best 2 teams in the country, but that is entirely subjective based on my love of offense, their stellar offensive and defensive lines, and their splendid quarterback play.  The same can be said of Texas.   If Florida sneaks back into the title game after a HOME LOSS to Ole Miss, I would reference the travesty above.

1. Thanks, Patterico. I promise to keep the cursing to a minimum, and used only for emphasis, and not directed at an individual, unless that individual desperately deserves it, at which point, I retract my above promise and replace it with a promise to lead the twatwaffle have it with both barrels.

Comment by JD — 11/21/2008 @ 8:59 pm

2. I realize that I’m one of about two people in America who disagree with this, but I think a college football playoff is a bad idea.

It reduces the value of the regular season. Suppose a team is the eight seed – say, an SEC team with two losses. They win out, and get the championship, because they were hot at the end. That doesn’t seem equitable to me; sometimes you’ll have two major-conference undefeated teams, and those two should just play head-to head.

If the argument is that a playoff system is more fun, that’s a personal argument, which I happen to disagree with but I sure understand the differences. I think the argument that a playoff is per se more fair is quite weak, though.

–JRM

Comment by JRM — 11/21/2008 @ 9:11 pm

3. Yes, God forbid a team that wins its conference (Florida) get in the National Championship game over a team that doesn’t even win its division (TTU or Oklahoma). That said, I fully encourage a playoff. That said, ain’t gonna happen. Not under Obama. Not under anyone. There is too much money involved in the current system.

Roll Tide!

Comment by tjwilliams — 11/21/2008 @ 9:20 pm

4. I love the importance of each and every game in college football. Out here, the fans are dying because USC is odd man out right now. In any reasonable playoff scenario, they would be very alive. Teams are rewarded for consistency across the entire season – it is not just a what-have-you-done-lately deal.

Me, as a die-hard Notre Dame fan, have mocked conference team fans through the years because they always fall back on a conference title as the main goal. Penn State fans use to have the integrity of insisting that the only thing that truly matters is a national championship. From the time they joined the Big Integer 15 years ago, all of a sudden the goal became the Rose Bowl. Dumbing down is not a pretty thing to watch. And yes, I am LOVING their conflicted selves this week since they will clinch the Rose Bowl after blowing an assured place in the title game. BWAHAHA!

Comment by Ed — 11/21/2008 @ 9:29 pm

5. I think a playoff system would take college football even closer to an outright pro football system.

Check the graduation rates of BCS football programs. Clearly, Notre Dame is number one in that department. Kudos also to Stanford, Boston College, Duke, Northwestern, and Vanderbilt. Texas Tech and Penn State are pretty decent too.

As a USC alum, I am shocked, JD, that you did not mention them. I can’t help but note that USC is a very diverse team. Since this is your first post in The Jury section and Patterico is no doubt watching, I’ll refrain from denouncing you–this time.

Comment by Stu707 — 11/21/2008 @ 9:50 pm

6. I’m glad you posted on this because I don’t like to post on topics that involve my team, the Longhorns, but I love to talk about SWC-based football. So obviously I have to disagree with you that OU is better than Texas. Does 45-35 ring a bell? I also think Tech is better than you give them credit for, although it’s true Stoops seems to have Leach’s number. We’ll see but, win or lose, I think Leach is the best offensive coach in the nation.

All the Texas fans I know are cheering for OU to win because it keeps the Horns’ hopes alive to win the Big 12 and go to the title game. It would be nice but I think it’s too little, too late. The Horns had their chance and blew it, but they will be better and wiser next year. In the meantime, Tech is unbeaten and I hope the Red Raiders win their way into the title game.

Comment by DRJ — 11/21/2008 @ 9:59 pm

7. PS – I’d like to see a playoff system, too, especially since it would give teams like TCU and Boise State a shot that they will never have under the current system.

Comment by DRJ — 11/21/2008 @ 10:00 pm

8. See JRM, you are not alone. Ed (I think ), Stu707, and I are all with you in being against a playoff system for college football. I base my opposition on the fact that I don’t want to see those scholar-athletes miss any more class time than they already do. . . nah, just kidding. Actually, I oppose a playoff system because I frankly think it is a lot more fun to argue about who the better team is. Could the ’94 Penn State team that went 12-0 have beaten the ’94 Nebraska team that went 13-0? Who would have won in 2003 between 12-1 USC and 13-1 LSU? These sorts of arguments make college football fun, and frankly the stakes are not so high that we absolutely have to have a definitive champion.

As Ed (comment 4, 9:29 pm) says, it also makes every regular season game that much more important. Take the 2006 season for example. Imagine you are a UCLA fan. You beat #2 ranked USC in your final game, and not only do you get a victory over your hated rival in the city championship game, but you also knock them out of the national title picture. How great is that? Had there been a playoff system, USC would still have had a shot at a national title and the win would have been substantially less sweet for UCLA fans.

I wish we would go back to the ’30s when there were eight or ten different systems that chose a national champion. Let the AP, CNN, ESPN, Sports Illustrated, the Coaches Association, Patterico’s Pontification, the Communist Party of America, Haliburton, Miller-Coors, and the Justice Department all choose a national champion as far as I am concerned. All the better for the barstool arguments.

Comment by JVW — 11/21/2008 @ 10:32 pm

9. I think college football should institute a promotion/relegation system. You could do it with two divisions, east and west, in order to cut down on travel. #1 east could face #1 west in a one-off, neutral site game to determine the national champ.

How many games are part of the college regular season? 10, 12? You could have divisions of 11 or 13. In the top division, #1 though #3 could play in bowls, #1E vs. #1W for championships, #2E vs. #2W for the Cotton Bowl or some such, and on down the line.

#1E vs. #1W for National Champion
    #2E
    #3E
    #4E…

#10E relegated
    #11E relegated
    /\
    #1NE vs. #2SE winner gains promotion
    #2NE vs. #1SE winner gains promotion

#10NE relegated #10SE relegated
    #11NE relegated #11SE relegated

In the lower divisions, especially if you want the top divison to have two feeder divisions, #1A could play #2B and #1B could play #2A, with the winners gaining promotion. #10 and #11 would be automatically relegated.

The league struture might be very similar to England’s Pyramid, except that in their struture there are 4 leagues stacked up (Premiership, Coca-Cola Championship, League 1, and League 2) before it spreads out into the pyramid with the Nationwide Confernce and then Nationwide N and S.

This sort of system would destory “historical” rivalries, or at least degrade them over time, but would be more fair, more likely to promote even competition, and would be completely coherent to the notion of amatuer athletics. It would also probably create a half-donze super teams that never get relegated, and then dozens and dozens of teams who are one bad season away from complete dissolution. Of course, since these are college teams, and subsidized by their universities, the financial hardship of relegation is likely to be somewhat less pressing a concern.

Comment by Fritz — 11/21/2008 @ 11:23 pm

10. JD – Which bowl is Illinois going to wind up playing in this year?

Comment by daleyrocks — 11/22/2008 @ 7:41 am

11. In bad years, we say our team is playing in the Toilet Bowl.

Comment by DRJ — 11/22/2008 @ 11:29 am

12. OU is trouncing Tech 21-0 at the half.

Comment by DRJ — 11/22/2008 @ 6:27 pm

13. Oregon State beat Arizona with a field goal with 4 seconds left in the game…need to beat Oregon (Civil War) on Sat to go to the Rose Bowl…sports talk radio will be on fire in the Portland area for the next week.

The Toilet Bowl this year in the PAC 10 was Washington vs. Washington State (aka the Apple Cup)…two programs that are deep in the toilet…

Comment by fmfnavydoc — 11/22/2008 @ 9:26 pm

14. I was right about Oklahoma apparently. I wish I had been able to watch it.

Comment by JD — 11/22/2008 @ 10:21 pm

15. two programs that are deep in the toilet…

I’m a Kansas State fan… Don’t talk to me about programs that are in the toilet…

Comment by Scott Jacobs — 11/22/2008 @ 11:55 pm

16. USC may get shut out of many good bowls because of one stupid loss to O-State.

Comment by PCD — 11/24/2008 @ 8:19 am