2/14/2014

Happy Valentine’s Day

Filed under: General — Patterico @ 6:03 pm

No flowers for you!

COMMERCE TWP. (WWJ) – A Commerce Township floral delivery company says the Federal Aviation Administration has grounded its experiment in delivering flowers by unmanned mini-helicopter.

FlowerDeliveryExpress.com said the FAA has informed them that commercial drone use is only allowed on a pre-authorized, case-by-case basis — and told the company to knock it off.

“Cupid’s wings have been clipped,” said the company’s CEO, Wesley Berry.

Berry says he has been asked to certify on his tax form that he won’t try this again, or vote for a small-government politician, or take other actions the government might disapprove of.

1. always in everybody’s bidness, the sumb*tches… DING!

Comment by Colonel Haiku (30caeb) — 2/14/2014 @ 6:30 pm

2. Now, there’s an idea. Cut down on medical insurance costs by requiring people to state on their IRS medical insurance tax credit forms that they have not smoked, had unsafe sex, gained weight or engaged in extreme sports during the previous year.

Comment by Kevin M (dbcba4) — 2/14/2014 @ 6:31 pm

3. We could cut down on health care insurance costs if Congress would just pass a bill outlawing illness.

Of course, we would have to certify that we had no intention of getting sick in the next 50 years on our tax forms…

Comment by WarEagle82 (b18ccf) — 2/14/2014 @ 7:11 pm

4. True love:

Comment by gary gulrud (e2cef3) — 2/14/2014 @ 7:55 pm

5. If you didn’t get flowers:

You’re welcome ladies.

h/t to Ace and the morons.

Comment by Ag80 (eb6ffa) — 2/14/2014 @ 8:40 pm

6. Obama is the type of leader that would make and have you take the Jonestown kool-aid.

Comment by mg (31009b) — 2/14/2014 @ 9:33 pm

7. Boehner and McConnell are surrender monkeys, that need to be hung out to dry.

Comment by mg (31009b) — 2/14/2014 @ 9:52 pm

8. Cut down on medical insurance costs by requiring people to state on their IRS medical insurance tax credit forms that they have not smoked, had unsafe sex, gained weight or engaged in extreme sports during the previous year.

Yeah, every woman would still lie through her teeth and state she had not gained weight, even if 10lbs had found a new home on her hips that year…

Comment by Dana (9a8f57) — 2/14/2014 @ 10:27 pm

9. You joke about the add ons to the Tax Form but it won’t be funny much longer.

With an IRS a willing accomplice, what’s to hold them back?

The ethical restraint of Eric Holder?

The Citizenship of Barack Hussein Obama?

Comment by jakee308 (e940d5) — 2/15/2014 @ 1:02 am

10. With an IRS a willing accomplice, what’s to hold them back?

the 2nd Amendment.

Comment by redc1c4 (abd49e) — 2/15/2014 @ 1:28 am

11. I wouldn’t mind getting deliveries from a drone. No more waiting in lines at the grocery store, pharmacy, cleaners, etc.

Comment by DRJ (a83b8b) — 2/15/2014 @ 5:19 am

12. FAA has banned drone delivery, at least of beer.

I hope you all had a delight-filled Valentine’s Day.

Comment by htom (412a17) — 2/15/2014 @ 5:56 am

13. And when Skynet’s programming malfunctions and the Daleks start delivering humans to the Matrix?

I’m scared of all this stuff. Amazon’s drones, Google’s buses, military and police robots, automated missile launch systems …. How do we know that the computers have not already been infected with malware that has turned them against humanity, and are now tricking us into building their hardware for them, and more importantly the automated factories where they can eventually build them themselves? Working towards a 9time where they will wipe out all our bank accounts, turn off the power grids and other utilities, all communications, sabotage transportation and food deliveries, and leave us cold and starving in a world that has suddenly reverted to the 18th century? Our only hope that they will not nuke us will be that they too are vulnerable to EMPS, but their killer robots and hypersonic drones will still hunt us down with the most modern of conventional weapons — from Hellfire missiles to cruise missiles to 10,000 lb Daisy Cutters — while we’re still trying to reinvent the crossbow and the musket while living on roots and bark.

It’s probably already too late. We have already become dependent on the machines. We’re doomed. Alea jacta est. Maybe a few survivors (in remote areas without mineral resources that the machines will have no interest in) will in another million years have mutated into beings that can take on the machines and a new human race of sorts will emerge to repeat our mistakes in a different fashion.

I was going to have another cup of coffee and shave but why bother?

Comment by nk (dbc370) — 2/15/2014 @ 6:10 am

14. Why am I thinking that the FAA has this backwards? Isn’t the idea that unless something is specifically banned we are allowed to do it? FAA says that since there are no regulations on drone delivery, yet, that they are not allowed until such restrictive regulations are in place.
    Then again, maybe it means my medication needs a tweak.

Comment by gramps, the original (3197cb) — 2/15/2014 @ 7:22 am

15. I read it as that the FAA already has the authority to say “no”, and it’s working on when it can say “yes”. Makes sense. There’s more than public safety involved. These things trespass over other people’s private property on their way to their destination. See, U.S. v. Causby.

Comment by nk (dbc370) — 2/15/2014 @ 7:33 am

16. Good news for right-leaning males on this post-Valentine’s Day: rich liberal women prefer conservative men.

“I don’t want a liberal man, I want someone who believes in a traditional family.”

“I want to be with a man who is ambitious, liberal men simply aren’t as ambitious.”

“Conservative men plan for the future, they’re in it for the long run.”

“Liberal men are less masculine.”

Only 10 percent of female millionaires strongly preferred a liberal male. Their comments are as follows:

“Liberal men are sensitive and patient. I want someone who understands me and supports my rights as a woman.”

“I want a man who doesn’t force traditional gender roles on me.”

“Liberal men treat you as an equal, there’s none of this ‘open the car door crap’ that makes me feel like I’m in the 1950s.”

Comment by Dana (9a8f57) — 2/15/2014 @ 9:51 am

17. to think this cowardly lil bitchcountry once put people on the moon

non-union people even

Comment by happyfeet (8ce051) — 2/15/2014 @ 10:16 am

18. If you are “gender fluid” and schizophrenic are you supposed to send yourself a Valentine Day’s card?

Facebook added a customizable feature with about 50 new terms for people to use to describe their gender.

Facebook said it worked with leading LGBT advocacy organizations to come up with the list of gender identities, including androgynous, bi-gender, intersex, gender fluid or transsexual.

Comment by daleyrocks (bf33e9) — 2/15/2014 @ 1:27 pm

19. it’s way past time for the Ts to get off the LGB train I think –

one of these things is not like the other

bless their freaky lil hearts

Comment by happyfeet (8ce051) — 2/15/2014 @ 1:40 pm

20. “it’s way past time for the Ts to get off the LGB train I think”

Mr. Feets – There’s a lot of hatin’ goin’ on against chicks wif dicks. We are all God’s chirren. Why you gots to put them all into little categories like? This is America and you can still be anyone you like that Obama approves of.

Can I get an Amen.

Comment by daleyrocks (bf33e9) — 2/15/2014 @ 1:50 pm

21. mister happy, are you going to be the one to ask michelle odrama to get off the train ?

Comment by Elephant Stone (6a6f37) — 2/15/2014 @ 1:54 pm

22. I agree with happyfeet. The case involving Nikki Araguz, the transgender wife of a Texas firefighter who died on the job, is good example. The courts initially held that Nikki could not get her husband’s pension because she was born a male, but the appeals court recently ruled that she is legally a female and her current, legal gender is what matters. Transgenders have a legal argument that they fit into the current hetero system. They don’t need the LGBs.

Comment by DRJ (a83b8b) — 2/15/2014 @ 1:58 pm

23. DRJ – I seem to remember a long period beginning in the 1970s prompted by East German athletes where gender became an issue in sports. Chromosomes don’t lie, but you can call yourself whatever you want.

Comment by daleyrocks (bf33e9) — 2/15/2014 @ 2:05 pm

24. Mr. Feets – I understand some of that gender fluid is supposed to be good for the anti-agings, but that might just be a myth. Nobody tells me nothing.

Comment by daleyrocks (bf33e9) — 2/15/2014 @ 2:06 pm

25. I remember Obama’s famous quote just prior to Election Day in 2008 when he told a crowd, “We are five days away from fundamentally transgendering America.”

Or whatever.

Comment by Elephant Stone (6a6f37) — 2/15/2014 @ 2:19 pm

26. Can I get an Amen.

“Amen” is sexist…

can i get an “Aperson”?

8-)

Comment by redc1c4 (abd49e) — 2/15/2014 @ 2:21 pm

27. I had a friend in high school who drove a really old Trans Am.

Comment by Elephant Stone (6a6f37) — 2/15/2014 @ 2:32 pm

28. Well, I’m kind of depressed after reading nk’s post (nk, you should read the late Arthur C. Clarke’s famous SF short story “Dial F for Frankenstein”—where the telephone network becomes sentient—and then think about the internet). Technology is a great servant, and a terrible master indeed.

But another topic was discussed a bit, which I sometimes teach about in the classroom. When it comes to gender identity, I have to modify Shakira’s “Hips Don’t Lie” to “Chromosomes Don’t Lie.”

Except when they do:

More:

I don’t always trust YouTube, but here is a person who says s/he was born with AIS:

Don’t you want to hit her so-called friends in the mouth? The things we do to each other, to hurt one another needlessly, continue to amaze me.

So some of those gender assignments in the examples above are a bit difficult to assign, yes.

Now, transgender by choice is a bit different than the intersex issues, but the point remains related.

There are stories around SoCal that Jamie Lee Curtis was born with this syndrome. Couldn’t tell you. All of this has taught me that gender is more fluid that most people think, anyway.

How the law deals with that is a challenge.

That said, I hope everyone had a fine Valentine’s Day. In my class yesterday, a fellow bought a rose for every one of my 48 students. He is a shy kind of guy, so we were all surprised!

Comment by Simon Jester (dda8ec) — 2/15/2014 @ 2:37 pm

29. Simon – Love is a many gendered thing. I don’t know why the LGB’s gotta be hatin on the T’s. If the LGB’s say they should be free to love and marry whoever they want, shouldn’t the T’s? All I see is hypocrisy, ignoring the legal issues such as DRJ brought up.

Comment by daleyrocks (bf33e9) — 2/15/2014 @ 3:06 pm

30. I think we need to hear from the pansexual community.

Comment by daleyrocks (bf33e9) — 2/15/2014 @ 3:08 pm

31. To be serious to your humor, daley, I think it is not about freedom or respect for different groups, but the necessity of creating insular armed camps that vote and act in blocs, in order to advance political agendas of people who could not care less about any of those blocs.

Color blindness, anyone? Did anyone even think about the optics of that? Sheesh.

But that is because these groups genuinely do not care about the issues they claim to champion. It’s all alphabetism, 24/7/365.

We have always been at war with Eastasia.

Since we are in the mood for cynicism.

Comment by Simon Jester (dda8ec) — 2/15/2014 @ 3:27 pm

32. Crack Whore tweets his love to Warroad’s T.J. Oshie and the Amerikkkan Hockey team.

No umms, misspellings, syntactic errors, etc., no ‘effin way he wrote the tweet, less that he punched it up.

Comment by gary gulrud (e2cef3) — 2/15/2014 @ 3:35 pm

33. Here I sit, waiting for teh tow truck. Out gallavanting in a 33 yr old Italian sports car, serves my dumbass right.

Comment by Colonel Haiku (399c43) — 2/15/2014 @ 3:40 pm

34. I was enjoying teh sweet song of the Lampredi-designed SOHC engine when she died in my hands.

Comment by Colonel Haiku (399c43) — 2/15/2014 @ 3:42 pm

35. 33. The Fiat? My sympathies.

Comment by gary gulrud (e2cef3) — 2/15/2014 @ 3:46 pm

36. A few year’s ago my ex-brother-in-law paid me the deductible on my 67 Sport Coupe he lost control of and totaled at like <10 mph.

In 1975. I was in the passenger seat, bro in the rear.

Comment by gary gulrud (e2cef3) — 2/15/2014 @ 3:54 pm

37. “I cannot explain Bill Clinton receiving, of all things, the “Red Dress Award” from a women’s group.”

Simon – They couldn’t very well give him the blue dress award, could they?

Comment by daleyrocks (bf33e9) — 2/15/2014 @ 3:56 pm

38. 37. Not without cleaning it, anyway.

Comment by gary gulrud (e2cef3) — 2/15/2014 @ 3:59 pm

39. Yes, the X1/9

Comment by Colonel Haiku (8a31be) — 2/15/2014 @ 4:01 pm

40. T’s need to start their own club cause of there’s been a terrible mistake and it turns out that putting them with the L’s and the G’s and the B’s is just a very basic and, really, entirely obvious category error

Comment by happyfeet (8ce051) — 2/15/2014 @ 4:02 pm

41. This is why we can’t have nice things or a big tent.

Comment by daleyrocks (bf33e9) — 2/15/2014 @ 4:04 pm

42. I was thinking no one was that interested in any more of my saga, but Colonel, this is for you:

I..can’t get no.. ti-re traction
    I..can’t get no.. mo-ving action
    ’cause I tried
    and I tried
    and I tried
    and I tried
    but I can’t get no
    no, no, no
    That’s what I said.

Comment by MD in Philly (f9371b) — 2/15/2014 @ 4:08 pm

43. AIS. I joke about being a male to female to male transsexual. At about six or seven weeks, we are all girls. The more tragic cases are the partials where the parents have to make decisions about surgery and how to raise the child. Yes, I agree with the position that chromosomes do lie, and that the secondary sexual characteristics and the child’s upbringing should be determinative and not the karyotype.

Comment by nk (dbc370) — 2/15/2014 @ 4:19 pm

44. At about six or seven weeks *as embryos in the womb*.

Comment by nk (dbc370) — 2/15/2014 @ 4:21 pm

45. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KaWSOlASWc

Comment by mg (31009b) — 2/15/2014 @ 4:56 pm

46. “Who sinned, Master, this man or his parents that he was born blind?”

I’m not sure a fix is in their stars.

Comment by gary gulrud (e2cef3) — 2/15/2014 @ 5:42 pm

47. 45. Nice. He’s in a better place. Possibly.

Comment by gary gulrud (e2cef3) — 2/15/2014 @ 5:57 pm

48. 27- E- Stone
    3 on a t or four on the floor?

Comment by mg (31009b) — 2/15/2014 @ 6:16 pm

49. Kramer has fought legal battles with Atlanta law enforcement
    on such claims for about the last 15 years. Croatia is a beautiful
    country filled with residents proud of its storied history.
    Drinking Chinese green tea burns more calories resulting in weight loss.

Comment by Thao (585d7d) — 2/15/2014 @ 8:03 pm

50. As soon as this company starts donating to the Dems, a permit will magically appear.

Comment by Patricia (be0117) — 2/16/2014 @ 9:12 am

Page loaded in: 0.1973 secs.