12/24/2013

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Filed under: General — JD @ 6:55 pm

[guest post by JD]

Christmas with young kids sure is fun. My 5 year old is giddy with anticipation, and my 12 year old doesn’t really believe, but isn’t quite ready to let go of the idea yet. They got to open gifts from each other tonight, and tomorrow, Santa comes. The likely screaming and shrieking over the One Direction tix might register on a seismograph. The NORAD Santa tracker app provided endless fascination.

Traveling to Louisville, Illinois, and Utah between now and Monday.

I hope you and yours are happy, healthy, and safe. I don’t know many of you in real life, but this is a great community of people. You guys make me laugh, beat my head against the wall, smile, and think. Thanks for making my life richer.

—JD

1. JD, a merry Christmas to you and your lovely family. I can’t imagine how excited they’ll be over the tix. That’ll be a memory! I adored Christmas when mine were small – but that season passed far too quickly. Even though they are now adults, I am pretty excited to have them and their spouses over tomorrow. They delight and amaze me just as much as ever.

Also, I just want to take a moment to mention that you have done a stellar job posting at Patterico’s, especially when he was in trial and you were doing double duty. Sharp, biting, and challenging. Thank you!

Comment by Dana (e1b018) — 12/24/2013 @ 7:02 pm

2. Merry Christmas to you, JD, and to all.

Comment by Former Conservative (6e026c) — 12/24/2013 @ 7:05 pm

3. Those NORAD Santa trackers are really fun.

Comment by JD (5c1832) — 12/24/2013 @ 7:28 pm

4. merry christmas Mr. JD next year will be a year of healing and happiness

a*teens with puppies and pancakes on sunday

I know this because I just do

Comment by happyfeet (8ce051) — 12/24/2013 @ 7:43 pm

5. Merry Christmas, JD. I wish you and your family all the best, and health and happiness in the New Year.

Comment by nk (dbc370) — 12/24/2013 @ 7:44 pm

6. merry christmas, all.

Comment by narciso (3fec35) — 12/24/2013 @ 7:44 pm

7. Just wrapped up a family party at my brother’s place, where we had all the grandchildren perform a Christmas story with the Nativity using hand puppets my wife had made years ago for church Sundat School. Good food, good company only made better by my oldest son and his bride of 8 months announcing a new grandchild – our first – is due end of July.

Merry Christmas and good tidings to all!

Comment by Colonel Haiku (a36e1a) — 12/24/2013 @ 7:45 pm

8. Enjoy, despite all that travel.

Things not so nice as here in Merry Old England:

I’ll take my 2 degrees F and be happy.

Comment by gary gulrud (e2cef3) — 12/24/2013 @ 7:48 pm

9. Merry Christmas, JD, to you and yours; to Patrick and his; and to all of the rest of you and yours. May your journeys be safe, your parties happy, your families loved and loving.

Comment by htom (412a17) — 12/24/2013 @ 7:54 pm

10. Merry Christmas to all.

Comment by Ag80 (eb6ffa) — 12/24/2013 @ 8:05 pm

11. Yes, Merry Christmas to all.

Comment by MD in Philly (f9371b) — 12/24/2013 @ 8:50 pm

12. wishing you the very best, JD.

Comment by Dustin (4b341c) — 12/24/2013 @ 8:56 pm

13. xmas greetings to you and your family JD.

Comment by mg (31009b) — 12/24/2013 @ 9:16 pm

14. Merry Christmas, all!

Comment by Brother Bradley J. Fikes, C.O.R. (e8bf21) — 12/24/2013 @ 9:16 pm

15. Oh Lord. Your kid is getting One Direction tickets as well?

God help us all.

Comment by Patterico (3067f1) — 12/24/2013 @ 9:32 pm

16. Merry Christmas JD and everyone!

What am I doing up at this hour?

Comment by Gerald A (bfbd30) — 12/24/2013 @ 10:05 pm

17. Checking the list.

Ho Ho Ho. Merry Christmas.

I don’t care what the white man say, Santa Claus is a black man.

Comment by papertiger (c2d6da) — 12/24/2013 @ 10:22 pm

18. Santa is galactically known as a chameleon shape-changer … what is all the fuss about ?

(grin)

Merry Xmas to you and yours !

Comment by Alastor (2e7f9f) — 12/24/2013 @ 10:58 pm

19. Merry Christmas!

Racists.

Comment by Icy (3a4059) — 12/25/2013 @ 5:24 am

20. Patterico – One Direction. Soldier Field.

Comment by JD (5c1832) — 12/25/2013 @ 6:10 am

21. I saw it in your post, JD, and I didn’t want to rub salt in the wounds, but since Patterico also mentioned it …. May I gloat a little? My daughter asked for, and got, Imagine Dragons tickets. Mama likes them too. Allstate Arena. We make interchangeable jokes about One Direction and Justin Bieber. One Direction singer/Justin Bieber [pick one] said he doesn’t smoke pot. We know, because if he did, the music would be better.

Comment by nk (dbc370) — 12/25/2013 @ 6:26 am

22. Merry. Christmas to all!

Comment by SarahW (b0e533) — 12/25/2013 @ 6:26 am

23. Nk – very few things can compare to the pain of paying for those tix. The only thing that made it worth it was the joy it brought her.

Comment by JD (5c1832) — 12/25/2013 @ 6:40 am

24. Merry Christmas to JD and Patterico, and all the Pontificators here.

Comment by kinlaw (db8bae) — 12/25/2013 @ 7:53 am

25. Ya’all makin me feel guilty about (me not) buyin those tickets.
    Of course, my daughter would probably be a PP devotee for life if she got tickets because you folk talked me into it.

Comment by MD in Philly (f9371b) — 12/25/2013 @ 8:02 am

26. Enjoy these years. Before you know it, they are in college and opening up toy transformers in big check Jammies. (Only the transformer part is true).

Comment by SarahW (b0e533) — 12/25/2013 @ 8:41 am

27. How transformers would get into those Jammie’s I don’t know how

Comment by SarahW (b0e533) — 12/25/2013 @ 8:42 am

28. Merry Christmas JD and Patterico, and to all your clever contributors. And best wishes for your families.

Comment by bobathome (c0c2b5) — 12/25/2013 @ 9:22 am

Comment by elissa (08e46c) — 12/25/2013 @ 10:44 am

30. St. Nick, a Greek, gifts without need of reciprocity:

His old turf has a need.

Comment by gary gulrud (e2cef3) — 12/25/2013 @ 1:29 pm

31. Merry Christmas dittoheads.. Jesus rules.

Comment by The Emperor (be6d20) — 12/25/2013 @ 3:48 pm

32. I bought myself $100.00 worth of new rubbers for xmas.

Comment by mg (31009b) — 12/25/2013 @ 4:23 pm

33. When babyreff was about 11, she began the “I don’t think Santa Claus is real” phase, and MrsReff and I worked hard to remind her that there are other reasons for the season, but that giving of yourself to others is also important, that Santa Claus was about giving…so we worked on her, and kept her in the spirit of believing…

Never stop believing….JD, keep the fire burning….babyreff is 29 and loves the idea of giving….(and receiving of course) but she has never stopped believing….

I have always believed….Merry Christmas…

Peace on Earth, Good Will Towards Men…

reff

Comment by reff, who believes (4dcda2) — 12/25/2013 @ 7:43 pm

34. Elisa @29, an unknown infantry captain accidentally saved the element of surprise for Washington. He must have been doing recon. In any event he was operating ahead of the main force. On his own initiative he attacked the Hessian. The Hessians spent half the night chasing the small American force around the woods in the freezing weather.

When Washington approached the objective and the captain proudly told his general what he had done, Washington responded, “Sir, you have ruined us.” Washington was convinced the reckless young captain had cost him the element of surprise. He was wrong.

The Hessian commander was an experienced commander. Every morning he had his men up before dawn, under arms, on guard against rebel attack. So normally Washington wouldn’t have had had the element of surprise. But after chasing the small American advance force around in the small hours of the morning the Hessian commander decided no one would attack in such weather. Instead of manning the ramparts, upon return to camp the German sent his tired, wet, cold troops to bed.

Comment by Steve57 (c8d07a) — 12/25/2013 @ 8:20 pm

35. Here’s an excellent stocking stuffer.
    The no button.

Yeah, if you expect I’m gonna get you one.

Comment by papertiger (c2d6da) — 12/25/2013 @ 8:21 pm

36. Reff , yes. The true spirit of Christmas means giving of yourself. I think some of my best Christmases were those I spent on watch or on duty in the Navy. No commercialism. No Santa Claus. Just you, your job, time out for Christmas mass, and time to think.

Merry Christmas to all. But especially to all those on watch or standing sentry and sacrificing time they could be spending with their own families. For all our sakes.

Comment by Steve57 (c8d07a) — 12/25/2013 @ 8:47 pm

37. Again a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all. But I hope those like peedoffamerican who have suffered loss and health problems have better fortune in 2014.

Comment by Steve57 (c8d07a) — 12/25/2013 @ 9:06 pm

38. There are some remarkable people here, ranging from the wickedly snarky to the unthinkably tolerant. SPQR, daleyrocks, Dana, elissa, the wonderful DRJ, the irrepressible Colonel Haiku…so many “familiar names” from people I have never met. And then there is JD, who is remarkable in his own right. JD, I hope you have a wonderful and healthy holiday with family and friends. And best wishes to all of you…

Comment by Simon Jester (66112e) — 12/26/2013 @ 5:50 am

39. All the best to Simon and everyone here! May prosperity and happiness become reality for all who work for it.

And now, this troubling news: “IN THEIR DEFENSE, IT WAS AN AWESOMELY HOT UNKNOWN SPECIES: Ancient Humans Bred with Completely Unknown Species. “A new study presented to the Royal Society meeting on ancient DNA in London last week has revealed a dramatic finding – the genome of one of our ancient ancestors, the Denisovans, contains a segment of DNA that seems to have come from another species that is currently unknown to science. The discovery suggests that there was rampant interbreeding between ancient human species in Europe and Asia more than 30,000 years ago. But, far more significant was the finding that they also mated with a mystery species from Asia – one that is neither human nor Neanderthal.”

Comment by Colonel Haiku (1b96c4) — 12/26/2013 @ 6:57 am

40. Comment by Steve57 (c8d07a) — 12/25/2013 @ 8:20 pm

Hmmm, never heard that story before. I always believed the typical story that the Hessian troops had been too busy partying on Christmas and slept in.

Having recently seen part 2 of The Hobbit, I am reminded where Gandalf reminds Bilbo not to think too highly of himself, as he is just one mere Hobbit from the Shire,
    yet at the same time, to not be surprised that his part in the unfolding of history may be more important than he had ever guessed.

Of course, that is simply a literary reiteration of Biblical truth.

Comment by MD in Philly (f9371b) — 12/26/2013 @ 7:39 am

41. Haiku, check out this photo of the world’s largest boxer (no, not the dog breed), a Russian. http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-boxer1_iro55pnc,0,2420207.photo#axzz2ob0lsZzM

Comment by nk (dbc370) — 12/26/2013 @ 7:44 am

42. 39. “far more significant was the finding that they also mated with a mystery species from Asia – one that is neither human nor Neanderthal.”

I know its journalism but breeding outside one’s species tends to sterile progeny.

Breeding outside ones genus tends not to produce progeny at all.

OTOH, there have been some rather curious phenotypes of Ovis aries in Gaza of late.

Comment by gary gulrud (e2cef3) — 12/26/2013 @ 7:45 am

43. Sweet jaysus, nk, that guy is just this side of King Kong!

Comment by Colonel Haiku (1b96c4) — 12/26/2013 @ 8:00 am

44. ok Christmas is

done and done

UPS sucks ass though

they’re no good at making the deliveries

FedEx did much better

Also I made abundant usage of Cambridge Farms in the run-up to Christmas and on Christmas Day. You beat the crowds and get tasty foozles there – the stuffed chicken at the deli is a winner for sure and they make a very generous shawarma plate too. They need to work on their cheese selection I needed bleu for a recipe and so I wanted the nice crumbly crumbly british kind and all they had was this gooey crap from new jersey.

Still they’re a great place to go for stuff to nosh on – not for staples – way too expensive for that. Except for they had a great deal on onions.

In other Christmas news it’s ridiculously cold in those parts of America besieged by the demon-goddess we call Winter. She will not be appeased. Those of you who are besieged please to know that I’m upping my carbon emissions in a guerrilla-style relief mission, but so far the results are not reflected in your thermometers. I’m a keep trying though. For the children.

Comment by happyfeet (8ce051) — 12/26/2013 @ 8:37 am

45. Hey, happyfeet. You had me at shawarma. Many happy shawarmas to you, now and next year, and when time machines are invented last year too.

Comment by nk (dbc370) — 12/26/2013 @ 8:56 am

46. you too Mr. nk!

2013 lies all but useless and spent in the gutter and 2014 is quivering with anticipation

what could go wrong?

Comment by happyfeet (8ce051) — 12/26/2013 @ 9:09 am

47. Maybe this has been commented upon on another thread, but the Gay Rights Industry is going to go all in-your-face on us during the Rose Parade. Happy New Year indeed.

Comment by JVW (709bc7) — 12/26/2013 @ 10:14 am

48. Comment by happyfeet (8ce051) — 12/26/2013 @ 8:37 am

UPS sucks ass though

they’re no good at making the deliveries

They had a little problem with Logistics.

Comment by Sammy Finkelman (117043) — 12/26/2013 @ 10:53 am

49. elissa at 29. On this day in history–George Washington and his Continental troops cross the icy Delaware River 12/25/1776.

The Wall Street Journal had an article over the weekend about the painting – which was painted 2 1/2 times. (one time in 1850, damaged by fire and repaired in 1851, and painted a second time in 1851.)

It’s full of mistakes, by the way. Well, it was done some 75 years later by Emanuel Leutze (1816-1868) who had immigrated with his parents when young but went back to live in Germany in 1841.
    (the 1848 revolutions in Europe were what inspiredd him to do this painting)

It even has it taking place at dawn, rather than in the middle of the night, and it was dark because the moon couldn’t be seen because of the clouds with the rain, sleet and snow which fell all night but are missing.

And Washington shouldn’t be standing – he could tip over the boat.

Wrong flag – the Betsy Ross flag probably wasn’t used then. Wrong boat (the original cargo vessels had high sides and no seating).

Even wrong ice (Delaware River ice apparently breaks into larger floes than Leutze’s beautifully crystalline chunks)

And neither Washington’s black aide, Prince Whipple, nor the young Col. James Monroe actually crossed in Washington’s vessel.

Comment by Sammy Finkelman (d22d64) — 12/26/2013 @ 12:01 pm

50. David Hackett Fischer makes the same points that the WSJ piece that Sammy quotes makes with regards to the Leutze painting in his book Washington’s Crossing. If you are interested in a book summarizing the key 1776-1779 period in the American Revolution, Fischer’s book is one of the very best.

Comment by JVW (709bc7) — 12/26/2013 @ 12:18 pm

51. ==2014 is quivering with anticipation
    what could go wrong?==

I assume you were being sarcastic there, Mr feets, since teh won will still be occupying the White House.

Comment by elissa (08e46c) — 12/26/2013 @ 12:22 pm

52. yeah I greet the new year trepidation and resignation

me and my new nespresso machine are gonna hunker down next year and just fly under the radar til the baleful clouds of fascism break and sunny rays of freedom shine upon america once more

Comment by happyfeet (c60db2) — 12/26/2013 @ 1:02 pm

53. My wife got me a soda stream.
    Best soda water ever. Fresh and bubbly.
    No more imported bottles or cans to deal with.

Comment by mg (31009b) — 12/26/2013 @ 1:41 pm

54. oh. *with* trepidation and resignation I mean

sodastream looks kinda fun but

counter space is at a premium in casa pikachu

for to make a home for the nespresso I brought the toaster oven to work

Comment by happyfeet (c60db2) — 12/26/2013 @ 1:56 pm

55. Ah Colonel Haku you don’t know how good you are going to have it. Our youngest daughter finally presented us with our first grandchild in June this year. My wife–and the other grandma go full tilt goofy–way beyond goofy–with joy over the young lady. And I think she’s kind of special myself.

You’ll have yours in time for Thanksgiving and Christmas next year–congratulations to you and your family.

Comment by Comanche Voter (bd140e) — 12/26/2013 @ 2:11 pm

56. Thank you, Comanche Voter… looking forward to it! Just wished my own father was still alive to appreciate it.

Comment by Colonel Haiku (0a0a46) — 12/26/2013 @ 2:15 pm

57. Colonel, you keep us updated on baby Haiku OK? I saw the puppet part but somehow missed the grampa part of your earlier post. Congrats.

Comment by elissa (08e46c) — 12/26/2013 @ 2:26 pm

58. Thanks, elissa!

Comment by Colonel Haiku (0a0a46) — 12/26/2013 @ 3:20 pm

59. M.D. @40, the Hessian commander didn’t allow his men to drink to celebrate Christmas. Had that infantry captain not foolishly attacked Washington would have marched his men into a slaughterhouse.

Comment by Steve57 (f1b4a3) — 12/26/2013 @ 5:13 pm

60. I just noticed my auto correct corrected the spelling of my email address. Damn I hate that thing.

Comment by Steve57 (7487ca) — 12/26/2013 @ 5:17 pm

61. Belated Merry Xmas to all. The general buzz is this year’s holiday was a muted one, which I started sensing several weeks ago. That’s when I first got a feeling that fewer people were stringing up Christmas lights on their houses, and certain stores and businesses seemed frazzled, like they were trying to survive in Grinchville instead of Whoville. Hardly surprising given the character in the White House, now living the high life on his vacation in Hawaii.

I also noticed a somewhat muted demeanor among friends and family too, as even the “lefties” I ran into yesterday tended to steer clear of political chatter and weren’t as ideologically upbeat (or overbearing) as they’ve been in the past.

Not sure if the phrase “buckle up” is appropriate or not for 2014.

Comment by Mark (58ea35) — 12/26/2013 @ 5:54 pm

62. It is sad how hate filled the trolls are. Sometimes I wish you all could see some of the bile in moderation. For example, in response to a simple Merry Christmas, a serial troll felt compelled to wish that Reagan would burn in hall, and scream happy Kwanzaa at everyone, a play on their perfunctory wailing of racisms. A simple Merry Christmas is too much for them.

Comment by JD (ea1128) — 12/26/2013 @ 6:54 pm

63. I’m so sorry that you and Patterico and Stashiu have to see that stuff, JD. Yes, what sad and unfulfilled little people they must be to spend their days spewing hate and nonsense to total strangers over the internet.

Comment by elissa (d5c850) — 12/26/2013 @ 7:08 pm

64. People speak of “peace and goodwill toward men” and maybe that’s all right, but if you don’t have them, it is goodwill that must come first.

Comment by Sammy Finkelman (d22d64) — 12/27/2013 @ 11:02 am