12/15/2013

MSNBC’s Melissa Harris Perry Responds to Slate Santa Claus Kerfuffle

Filed under: General — JD @ 6:17 pm

[guest post by JD]

Slate started this whole thing with a silly article about how Santa Claus should not be portrayed as a fat white man, but should be more inclusive and be portrayed as a penguin.

Apparently Megyn Kelly did a tongue in cheek segment, which made leftists lose their marbles. CNN is still running stories about it, making it a Fox story as opposed to noting the actual genesis of the story.

MSLSD weighed in this morning. It is what you would expect it to be, coming from race-baiting MHP.

—JD

1. DING. the apostrophe, too.

Comment by Kevin M (536c5d) — 12/15/2013 @ 6:18 pm

2. The main thing about Santa is it’s wrong for parents to lie to children. It’s harmful. It damages trust of the parents. It’s training for believing things without evidence. It makes the child out for a fool.

It’s a fine story, but should be told as a story. The race of the Santa in the story is not of prime importance — knock yourself out with changing this around.

Comment by Former Conservative (6e026c) — 12/15/2013 @ 6:20 pm

3. lol what do they have in the watercoolers over there,

Comment by narciso (3fec35) — 12/15/2013 @ 6:24 pm

4. Melissa Harris Perry should do her show naked and without the stupid middle name I think it would be more interesting and get more better ratings

Comment by happyfeet (8ce051) — 12/15/2013 @ 6:49 pm

5. Dear Melissa,

Thank you for your kind letter. I, of course, know you well, “good or bad”, “naughty or nice”, etc., but contrary to popular culture I do not see you when you’re sleeping. That’s the NSA who does that. Close the lid on your Macbook in your bedroom, didn’t you know that they can turn on your webcam even if your computer is turned off?

As for my race, the answer should be obvious. You see, honey, I am not merely a benevolent, mythical being who brings children presents on Christmas. I am a metaphor, a personification if you wish, for charitable giving. I am present in America year-round, every minute of the year. Who pays, my dove, for food stamps? For public housing? For aid to dependent children? For free hospitals and clinics? For Medicaid? For public defenders? If your answer is white people, darling, then you have answered your question as to my race.

I know what you’re thinking. That’s racist! Well, sweetheart, I only have one response to that: Ho-ho, Ho! That third Ho is not a laugh. Merry Christmas!

With fondest regards always,
    Santa

Comment by nk (dbc370) — 12/15/2013 @ 7:38 pm

6. Happyfeet – hurled a little in the back of my mouth. Thanks

Comment by JD (8cd158) — 12/15/2013 @ 7:50 pm

7. The people who actually have met and know Santa Claus should have the final say.

Comment by Ag80 (eb6ffa) — 12/15/2013 @ 9:40 pm

8. R.I.P. Peter O’Toole

Comment by Icy (fc44ff) — 12/16/2013 @ 7:01 am

9. Well, the original live person “Sinter Klaas” was Dutch.

Thus, I’ve always assumed that “Santa Claus” should look a whole lot like a Dutchman (ie, a Northern European).

Does that make me racist?

Don’t bother answering, because I really don’t care. He’s a part of my ethnic and historical culture. The Leftoids passionately proclaim that “everybody has a right to his/her own culture”; I claim Santa for mine. They can go invent Kwanzaa-Klause if they’re desperate for a Christmas icon (but why would they be? They hate even having to acknowledge that the word “Christmas” exists..)

Comment by A_Nonny_Mouse (57cacf) — 12/16/2013 @ 4:32 pm

10. I would merely say that if he lives at the North Pole, chances are he has pretty fair skin.

Comment by Elephant Stone (6a6f37) — 12/16/2013 @ 4:47 pm