2/16/2013

Question for Long-Time Readers

Filed under: General — Patterico @ 12:56 pm

What are some of the more memorable or significant posts you remember reading on this blog? I’d like to know by tomorrow. Even if you don’t usually comment, please do.

See if you can guess why I am asking, or why I would want to know by tomorrow.

1. Doesn’t have to be a post relating to something famous. Just something that sticks in your mind.

Comment by Patterico (8a31be) — 2/16/2013 @ 12:58 pm

2. You debuted as a blogger on 2/17/2003. Congratulations on 10 excellent years!

The posts I remember the most are your Dog Trainer Year-in-Review posts and this one, primarily because I love the title but also because it got a lot of media attention.

Comment by DRJ (a83b8b) — 2/16/2013 @ 1:03 pm

3. i liked the one about how the government is spending all the money to where all of america’s children are screwed like lil menendez hookers

Comment by happyfeet (acd614) — 2/16/2013 @ 1:05 pm

4. Year in review

Comment by JD (0bd94b) — 2/16/2013 @ 1:08 pm

5. I remember enjoying some of the ones where you dismantle Balko’s dishonest commentary, particularly because it gets his sycophants so riled up.

Comment by daleyrocks (bf33e9) — 2/16/2013 @ 1:17 pm

6. There’s also your Chuck Phillips posts and the Hiltzik series, including this one.

But the very best was the Annotated WuzzaDem: The Facts Behind the Glenn Greenwald Sockpuppetry.

Comment by DRJ (a83b8b) — 2/16/2013 @ 1:18 pm

7. I was going to mention the Greenwald sockpuppetry as well as the Hiltzik ones.

DRJ beat me to them! :)

Comment by daleyrocks (bf33e9) — 2/16/2013 @ 1:19 pm

8. I started reading because of the Dog Trainer Year-in-Review, but I fondly remember your uncovering of the Hiltzik and Greenwald sock-puppetry among other awesome posts. The Dog Trainer appears to have gotten the last laugh though — they have made themselves so useless and unimportant that there is no longer any need to catalog their sleazy reporting and opining.

Happy anniversary!

Comment by JVW (4826a9) — 2/16/2013 @ 1:21 pm

9. You’ve taken on so many issues, Patterico, that it’s hard to pick.

Comment by DRJ (a83b8b) — 2/16/2013 @ 1:22 pm

10. And in the time it took me to type my comments, DRJ and daleyrocks both referenced the same posts.

Comment by JVW (4826a9) — 2/16/2013 @ 1:22 pm

11. Honestly too many great posts.

Comment by G (bbda88) — 2/16/2013 @ 1:29 pm

12. More of my favorites:

The Kozinski posts that included this exclusive; the O’Keefe posts; the Deport the Criminal First series; and I learned a lot in your Schiavo posts. The only posts I didn’t enjoy were about Weiner, Rauhauser, Kimberlin, et al — but it was the subjects, not the posts, that I don’t like. The posts were well done.

Comment by DRJ (a83b8b) — 2/16/2013 @ 1:37 pm

13. What I’d really like to know is what Patterico thinks are the most memorable or significant posts he’s written. Hopefully we’ll find out tomorrow.

Comment by DRJ (a83b8b) — 2/16/2013 @ 1:39 pm

14. It was your series on Anita Bush and Tony Pellicano. You kept the fire lit so those who wanted the story to die and Pelicano to walk, failed.

Too bad pulitzers weren’t given to bloggers then. You deserve one.

Comment by Corky Boyd (c2186d) — 2/16/2013 @ 1:41 pm

15. Follow up on my comment #13.

How and what is Anita Bush doing now? Did th eLA Times ever apologise for its shabby treatment of her?

Comment by Corky Boyd (c2186d) — 2/16/2013 @ 1:44 pm

16. This post about a police shooting.

Comment by 240ofPudding (8cb7c9) — 2/16/2013 @ 1:55 pm

17. I forget what post first brought me to your website…probably one of your classic take-downs of the LA Times. But, your happy birthday posts honoring your dad stick out in my mind as among the best. The way you honor your family stuck with me and was the first thing that popped in my mind when I saw this question.

Comment by dbnr (d3ebd9) — 2/16/2013 @ 2:09 pm

18. So far y’all are hitting the ones that come to mind. Kevin M. will remember a very early one that hasn’t been mentioned yet.

Comment by Patterico (42710d) — 2/16/2013 @ 2:12 pm

19. In addition to those already mentioned, the Roxana Mayer series comes to mind.

Comment by Karl (5f6b7a) — 2/16/2013 @ 2:23 pm

20. Karl!!!!

Comment by daleyrocks (bf33e9) — 2/16/2013 @ 2:26 pm

21. Obama a good man. #1.

Comment by Rodney King's Spirit (951136) — 2/16/2013 @ 2:35 pm

22. And there’s a series regarding a fella named Stashiu (who we have not heard from in a while) I am kinda proud of.

Comment by Patterico (7865e7) — 2/16/2013 @ 2:40 pm

23. Karl:

Nice to see you! DRJ did link a Roxana Mayer post.

Comment by Patterico (7865e7) — 2/16/2013 @ 2:41 pm

24. The one I remember most is the one that shows how newspapers use certain words to spin coverage a certain way, e.g. “Democrats said,” but “Republicans complained.” I may not have the specific example right, but I;m sure you’ll recognize the post from that context.

Comment by Diffus (4a5ca6) — 2/16/2013 @ 2:56 pm

25. I think the very recent fiskimgs of Obama, which in my mind have been more strongly worded than in the past.

Greatest hits album.

Comment by John (483c0e) — 2/16/2013 @ 3:00 pm

26. The Kathryn Johnston thread
    The Textualism/Intentionalism Debates
    The Waterboarding/Torture “Ticking Bomb” Hypos

And (on a selfish note) the Happy 20th Birthday post. DRJ is so dang nice.

Comment by Leviticus (17b7a5) — 2/16/2013 @ 3:06 pm

27. Happy 10th. Here’s to 10 more, each one better than the next.

Comment by Leviticus (17b7a5) — 2/16/2013 @ 3:09 pm

28. A Commenter Opines on What Republicans Should Do Now

is my favorite recent post it tells a story of hope and redemption you’ll laugh you’ll cry you’ll mostly cry

Comment by happyfeet (acd614) — 2/16/2013 @ 3:17 pm

29. I found this site during Weinergate, and one of the things that stuck out was how you got Weiner’s coed to actually respond.

Comment by Ghost (2d8874) — 2/16/2013 @ 3:22 pm

30. First found the site looking for reasonable lawyer talk about Schiavo, and it has remained on my top 2 blog sites since then because of a commitment to tell the truth (“truth”- “what is real”, once common, supposedly, in journalism, but now all too rare, including/especially on non-partisan fact-checking sites).

nk was especially eager to respond to my non-lawyer questions at the time (worried about him with all of his health issues and no comments for awhile, that I’ve seen anyway).

And yes, I hope stashiu3 is happily busy with whatever.

Painted Jaguar likes posts of semantic debate.

Comment by MD in Philly (3d3f72) — 2/16/2013 @ 3:30 pm

31. I started reading for the Dog Trainer Year-in-Review, enjoyed the Greenwald sock puppets, the Pelicano, and now the Kimberlin saga.

Comment by Robert (97403b) — 2/16/2013 @ 3:31 pm

32. Showing how the press edited Palin, and other things, to make them look worse than they were was always illuminating. I was never surprised, but nice to see it documented.

Comment by MD in Philly (3d3f72) — 2/16/2013 @ 3:33 pm

33. To echo HF-that psot is so much what the GOP needs to be about. And instead it’s led around by the noise by Rove and Kristol right over the cliff. The soultion was tight there but the powers that be continue to fight yesterday’s fight.

Comment by Bugg (b32862) — 2/16/2013 @ 3:35 pm

34. I love the Painted Jaguar posts.

Comment by Leviticus (17b7a5) — 2/16/2013 @ 3:37 pm

35. Your first-person accounts of the SWATting of your home.

Comment by Ed from SFV (bbbd0d) — 2/16/2013 @ 3:38 pm

36. Your Stashiu series was the most informative original reporting I’ve seen online.

Comment by DRJ (a83b8b) — 2/16/2013 @ 3:39 pm

37. The most memorable posts for me were the ones on Weinergate and the posts about Brett Kimberlin and the vermin he attracts.
    The reason you are asking is because you are planning on compiling a list of the most vile leftwing pricks.

Comment by jasond (ead346) — 2/16/2013 @ 3:40 pm

38. I think your most memorable post — and the one that I’ve quoted most often in conversation — was about how you took your baby along with you and your wife to a concert. It didn’t work out, as you had to take the baby out to the car. And while you could have been annoyed at the situation, you sat there and you thought about how a much older you, given an opportunity to go back and experience a day in your life, would choose to go back and sit in the car with your baby rather than listen to the concert.

I have two little girls of my own. Thank you.

Comment by Bill Roper (334fb0) — 2/16/2013 @ 3:46 pm

39. Painted Jaguar thanks you, Leviticus. He’s been a bit flumoxed lately with way too many things to choose from to comment on.
    Though he is thinking of taking up the plight of the poor ice cream parlor owner in Israel who had his contract cancelled by Netanyahu. Never would have happened in DC (unless it was by the FLOTUS).

And he agrees that the post about being with the cub was wonderful.

Comment by MD in Philly (3d3f72) — 2/16/2013 @ 3:56 pm

40. How time flies. The pieces on the Hiltzik and Greenwald sockpuppetry were important because they really opened a lot of eyes about writers anonymously using comment sections to further push/defend a meme they created.

As an aside– Hiltzik is still, well, Hiltzik. But Greenwald has done some good work, especially of late with his pieces on the kill list and demanding that where the Constitution is concerned people must look at all recent administrations through the same lens. So it’s kind of sad that he demeaned himself and dented his reputation by engaging in such juvenile and unneccessary sockpuppetry. I hope he learned his lesson.

Comment by elissa (ef1fed) — 2/16/2013 @ 4:00 pm

41. Menendas follow up.Love to see him gone. WHY? Get a count? or See if we pay attention, keep alert over presidents weekend.

Comment by Bill (050834) — 2/16/2013 @ 4:13 pm

42. Any post the you write that shows the errors/hipocrisy of the LA Times.

Comment by Randy L (875e03) — 2/16/2013 @ 4:19 pm

43. Bill Roper — I had that one specifically set aside. Funny how people are hitting on the ones that came to mind for me.

elissa — I’m sure Greenwald regrets his behavior.

Comment by Patterico (9c670f) — 2/16/2013 @ 4:21 pm

44. Happy 10th. Here’s to 10 more, each one better than the next.

Thanks, but save it until tomorrow!

Comment by Patterico (9c670f) — 2/16/2013 @ 4:22 pm

45. elissa — I’m sure Greenwald regrets his behavior.

He might regret getting caught.

Comment by JD (0bd94b) — 2/16/2013 @ 4:25 pm

46. The Glenn Greenwald sockpuppet post is the most memorable.

I still dig that link out from time to time and post it – especially when I hit some reference to what a great oped writer he is.

“elissa — I’m sure Greenwald regrets his behavior.”
    It would surprise me if he regretted anything but getting caught. Indeed, it would surprise me if he had actually ceased sockpuppeting.

Comment by SPQR (768505) — 2/16/2013 @ 4:30 pm

47. You posts on swatting.

Comment by Richard (af53cf) — 2/16/2013 @ 4:33 pm

48. All about egrets!

Comment by jls (cbe7e6) — 2/16/2013 @ 4:34 pm

49. All of the above, but I think I was the most avid reader during the Weiner fiasco, and all that followed it.

Also, I enjoyed Aaron’s posts on this blog and miss his participation.

Comment by Pious Agnostic (20c167) — 2/16/2013 @ 5:06 pm

50. i liked DRJ’s posts about the oil spill cause you couldn’t hardly find a conservative blog what wanted to talk about it it’s like they were ashamed

well they shouldn’t have been ashamed and when your fascist food stamp in chief starts yippy yapping about how your stupid little country is going to stomp stomp stomp its boot on the neck of people what are employers and risk-takers and producers of energy and wealth well somebody has to say something

and that somebody was DRJ

Comment by happyfeet (acd614) — 2/16/2013 @ 5:17 pm

51. DRJ’s Ramos/Compean series. Everything by DRJ, actually.

And was it the Mark Philips/Pelicano post where I “accused” you, Patterico, of being a journalist?

Comment by nk (53646e) — 2/16/2013 @ 5:35 pm

52. nk, long time no growl. How ya doing?

Comment by SPQR (768505) — 2/16/2013 @ 5:36 pm

53. *Chuck* Philips

Comment by nk (53646e) — 2/16/2013 @ 5:38 pm

54. I still remember
    The Tookie Williams series
    Very important!

Comment by The Haiku Avenger (af9ec3) — 2/16/2013 @ 5:40 pm

55. Hey, SPQR. Better, thank you. I am no longer rooming with the gay heroin addict and the HIV-positive benzo addict, and I have internet access. ;)

Comment by nk (53646e) — 2/16/2013 @ 5:42 pm

56. sounds like you were kind of a fifth wheel honestly

Comment by happyfeet (acd614) — 2/16/2013 @ 5:47 pm

57. The posts that stand out the most are the ones regarding Stashiu. Fascinating, unique stuff. Would like an update.

Happy 10 year, tho’.

Comment by J.P. (bd0246) — 2/16/2013 @ 5:50 pm

58. nk, I thought you left because I snored.

Comment by SPQR (768505) — 2/16/2013 @ 5:52 pm

59. n.
    k.

Comment by Leviticus (17b7a5) — 2/16/2013 @ 6:37 pm

60. Dog Trainer Year-in-Reviews brought me here. I consider these among your most memorable posts.

Comment by paul (506d30) — 2/16/2013 @ 6:46 pm

61. Stashiu’s series, DRJ’s series on Ramos and Compean, Pats on the Christine Odonell and the fall out with Mark Levins bloviating, Pats on the Obamacare supreme court decision, WLS shipwrecks posts on the internet and obamas victory, KArls KARL KAAARRLLLs political posts, and Aarons forays into science fiction

Comment by EPWJ (1cedce) — 2/16/2013 @ 7:02 pm

62. For me, it has to be immigration!!

Comment by Bill (457411) — 2/16/2013 @ 7:06 pm

63. Frank Luntz and his group of nitwits.

Comment by mg (31009b) — 2/16/2013 @ 7:18 pm

64. I’ll always remember your exposure of Hiltzik’s devious emails, even though he’s now back leading the Times’ lefty crusade.

Comment by jftrane (9d1bb3) — 2/16/2013 @ 8:22 pm

65. the dear Elena post

Comment by EPWJ (1cedce) — 2/16/2013 @ 8:51 pm

66. I love the Pellicano posts–it read like a Grisham novel. But, undoubtedly, the post about why we hate the LA Times was the tops. The shock of recognition was profound.

Comment by Patricia (be0117) — 2/16/2013 @ 9:30 pm

67. I liked your Alito Project posts. That might seem like something very obscure to dig up from the past, but I remember them being very informative and clearly written for somebody without a legal background to understand.

Comment by Mark1971 (0c13f0) — 2/16/2013 @ 9:46 pm

68. Years in Review, the posts about your dad, the Breitbart and O’Keefe related posts and first and especially this one (think someone mentioned that above – IIRC it was the first post of yours I read — enjoyed the thorough pwnage over and over)

Comment by no one of consequence, née noyk (ecc99a) — 2/16/2013 @ 10:08 pm

69. rapebarn posts rock

Comment by happyfeet (acd614) — 2/16/2013 @ 10:10 pm

70. I started following you after your summary article on swatting on 5/25/12 (sorry, I haven’t figured out how to insert the formatted link that appears above text entry box). And I found I enjoyed seeing how lawyer types view the world. I also like Col. Haiku’s pithy poetry … occasionally … blue moon waxing full. And I remember thinking about your baby at the concert article (mentioned in #38 by roper,) and I discussed that with my wife. I have wondered why Michael Connelly’s novels haven’t been mentioned as he takes up a lot of topics that would seem to fit the motif, but perhaps he’s too Hollywood. I also appreciate your indepth efforts on various important topics like the recent series on fiscal issues. I hope your Amazon link has been helpful. It would be fun to see some of the wierd stuff your readers buy.

Comment by bobathome (c0c2b5) — 2/16/2013 @ 10:33 pm

71. Your wonderful takedowns of the LA Times’ numerous errors and piteous misunderstandings of the law are foremost in my mind. The entries about our favorite sock puppet and email snooper, are classic.

I have been in lurk mode for a few months now, but your blog is as great as ever!

Comment by Bradley J. Fikes (a05b45) — 2/16/2013 @ 10:53 pm

72. You know, the funny thing is that, I can’t really recall any specific post that, ummm…”pumped my nads”. With your blog it’s the regularity of posts and the consistent quality level that has me regularly coming back for more.

You are one of my first four blogs to read regularly right now (Coyoteblog, Chicago Boyz, and Neoneocon being the other three)… so you must be doing something right… :-D

Comment by Smock Puppet, 10th Dan Snark Master and Burlesque Entertainer (98ae1f) — 2/16/2013 @ 11:03 pm

73. I came here for the Illegal Alien series and the LA Times stuff at first. Having just moved from LA to AZ it struck a chord. At the time we were stuck with the dreaded Dial-Up so I never commented. If I was only allowed access to one blog, this would be it. Thanks, Pat.

Comment by Gazzer (a59618) — 2/17/2013 @ 12:11 am

74. I wish I could name my favorite, but what I adore most is just you and your take on things.

Comment by MayBee (5d58db) — 2/17/2013 @ 12:18 am

75. Awww. It’s great to hear from you, MayBee.

Comment by Patterico (9c670f) — 2/17/2013 @ 12:35 am

76. The thing that first brought this blog to my attention was your coverage of the Polanski extradition. No one post, really, but the overall coverage.

Comment by RWS (9d1bb3) — 2/17/2013 @ 2:22 am

77. I published my post and noted the Polanski posts. Thanks, RWS.

Comment by Patterico (9c670f) — 2/17/2013 @ 2:30 am

78. End of the year Dog Trainer in Review series. I used it for two years to show my late father-in-law why he should distrust what he read in that rag. I imagine it was a LOT of work for you, but it was a very helpful tool for me as I sought to open his mind to facts. In his late 80′s, newspapers were his primary source for information.

Comment by Manlydad (55cb65) — 2/17/2013 @ 9:18 am