2/12/2013

State of the Union Open Thread

Filed under: General — Patterico @ 6:27 pm

Just tuned in. Don’t know how long I can bear to listen to this chump.

1. WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO SIMPLIFY THE TAX CODE?!?!?!

Comment by Patterico (9c670f) — 2/12/2013 @ 6:27 pm

2. I shut it off already, the lying little turd would cost me a TV.

Comment by SPQR (768505) — 2/12/2013 @ 6:32 pm

3. I told my wife and daughter that if I was going to watch anything, it would be the entire speech that Ben Carson gave (I’ve only seen clips).

I saw over at PowerLine (as I commented elsewhere) that there will be some illegal aliens there as guests of the one and the FLOTUS. They had to get the requirement waived to give SS #’s.

Doesn’t the President have a requirement to uphold the laws of the land? This is the Imperial Presidency, if he says it is OK, then it is, apparently.
    I guess if the Speaker would request the Sergeant at Arms to have him arrested it would cause a mess.

Comment by MD in Philly (3d3f72) — 2/12/2013 @ 6:42 pm

4. Why would be a partisan issue to help folks refinance?

Why, because it’s not the federal government’s job? Because of unintended consequences of government involvement?

Whatever. I’m sick of this guy.

Comment by Patterico (9c670f) — 2/12/2013 @ 6:42 pm

5. I’m not watching the SOTU either. The History Channel has a good show about a Solutrean European presence in North America prior to the arrival of the Asiatic Paleo Indians coming across the Bering Sea land bridge.

Actually, I’m just killing time till Justified comes on at 10pm.

Comment by ropelight (396292) — 2/12/2013 @ 6:43 pm

6. is it already started food stamp can’t even let me get home and change the turtle water before he starts yap yap yapping

this is why you don’t have any friends food stamp

Comment by happyfeet (323d6f) — 2/12/2013 @ 6:47 pm

7. It’s turtles, all the way down, pikachu.

Comment by narciso (3fec35) — 2/12/2013 @ 6:51 pm

8. Let’s raise the minimum wage and put people back to work!

Economic ignorance.

Comment by Patterico (9c670f) — 2/12/2013 @ 6:54 pm

9. If you could dismiss Obama but it would be Dorner who would take his place, would you take the deal?

Comment by ropelight (396292) — 2/12/2013 @ 6:55 pm

10. I refuse to watch. Go back to every stump speech, a d the inaugural, and you know what he will say – balanced approach, raise taxes again, fair share, investments, common sense, blah blah blah. He is a lying crapweasel

Comment by JD (5a02de) — 2/12/2013 @ 6:57 pm

11. Raise the minimum wage will put people back to work? Minimum wage jobs are all he is shooting for, huh? The same ones that would disappear were this to happen. Good Allah.

Comment by JD (5a02de) — 2/12/2013 @ 6:59 pm

12. Too bad that people actually like the guy, ‘wingers don’t have military support anymore (But Bengazeee!), and finance is actually heading in the right direction.

Aside from the party ID, he’s a he’ll of a lot more competent than the last few your team sent, and is doing what your team wanted.

I’d hate to see the shrieking if we actually got a progressive elected.

Comment by Jamie (029f5e) — 2/12/2013 @ 7:00 pm

13. If you could dismiss Obama but it would be Dorner who would take his place, would you take the deal?

Dorner is apparently dead. So we would get Biden? Nah.

Comment by Patterico (9c670f) — 2/12/2013 @ 7:01 pm

14. sotu… stfu!

Comment by Colonel Haiku (00144f) — 2/12/2013 @ 7:03 pm

15. Jamie is drinking the koolaid

Comment by JD (5a02de) — 2/12/2013 @ 7:04 pm

16. “Four more years of snafu will leave nation fubar…”

Comment by Colonel Haiku (00144f) — 2/12/2013 @ 7:05 pm

17. The Bruins, moving right to left on my radio, just tied it at 3-3.
    I cut the chord, no govt. t.v. for me.

Comment by mg (31009b) — 2/12/2013 @ 7:06 pm

18. He keeps packing more economic horse manure into each SOTU speech than the one before.

Raise costs of employment even more! Because 7.9% unemployment is a disgrace, he wanted 8+% !

Comment by SPQR (768505) — 2/12/2013 @ 7:08 pm

19. So raising minimum wage was his pivot to jobs? And raising taxes?

Comment by JD (5a02de) — 2/12/2013 @ 7:10 pm

20. JD: Those topics were seconds apart. Stunningly clueless.

Comment by Patterico (9c670f) — 2/12/2013 @ 7:12 pm

21. Has he started standing on the graves of dead children yet?

Comment by JD (5a02de) — 2/12/2013 @ 7:13 pm

22. Too bad that people actually like the guy, ‘wingers don’t have military support anymore (But Bengazeee!), and finance is actually heading in the right direction.

I’d hate to see the shrieking if we actually got a progressive elected.

Comment by Jamie (029f5e) — 2/12/2013

I think you guys stopped pretending Obama wasn’t liberal about a month ago.

If you think finances are headed in the right direction, don’t forget to tip your bartender.

Comment by Dustin (73fead) — 2/12/2013 @ 7:15 pm

23. Has he started standing on the graves of dead children yet?

Dead children and adults, yes.

Comment by Patterico (9c670f) — 2/12/2013 @ 7:17 pm

24. Seems like Jamie has better things to do rather than listen to the two-faced lying bastard.

Comment by ropelight (396292) — 2/12/2013 @ 7:20 pm

25. i don’t care what he says guns are cool I think

Comment by happyfeet (323d6f) — 2/12/2013 @ 7:21 pm

26. you’re kidding me he went all minimum wage?

he got nothin

sad sad little man

but why does he hates black teenagers? He only puts the dead ones to work.

Comment by happyfeet (323d6f) — 2/12/2013 @ 7:23 pm

27. Those dead Chicago kids deserve a vote on banning guns.

Comment by JD (5a02de) — 2/12/2013 @ 7:28 pm

28. jaime loves food stamps, ebt cards, and old white men’s hard earned money. Freeloaders live free in America.

Comment by mg (31009b) — 2/12/2013 @ 7:29 pm

29. Basically, this was the inaugural speech, plus dead people?

Comment by JD (5a02de) — 2/12/2013 @ 7:41 pm

30. I’d hate to see the shrieking if we actually got a progressive elected.

What’s with this “progressive” nonsense? You mean “ultra-liberal.” Or maybe “ultra-ultra-liberal.” Or someone like the cuckoo president of Argentina, a wee bit more “progressive” than Obama, but not so much so that he’d necessarily be truly appalled at his counterpart in Argentina.

online.wsj.com, February 8: Supermarkets and electronics retailers say Argentina’s government has ordered them to stop advertising in the country’s top newspapers, in a bid to weaken independent media companies as President Cristina Kirchner turns to increasingly unorthodox policies to prevent inflation from derailing an ailing economy.

The order, confirmed by retailers and newspapers but denied by government officials, comes after retail executives say price-control czar Guillermo Moreno pressured them earlier this week to agree to freeze prices for two months. Executives say Mr. Moreno then told them to pull all newspaper sales ads in hopes this would somehow curb inflation.

Mrs. Kirchner played down inflation for years, refusing even to say the word in public. But with economists estimating annual inflation at around 26%, she has been calling on consumers to prevent companies from raising prices. A sluggish economy and Mrs. Kirchner’s confrontational political style have also taken a toll on her popularity.

^ A slightly more severe form of the nanny-state lunacy found in America (Hello, Michael Bloomberg! Hello, San Franciscans, opposed to Happy Meals!), but one that will make the left throughout the US green with envy and give them plenty of ideas.

Comment by Mark (b40cf0) — 2/12/2013 @ 7:42 pm

31. Did people laugh at Rubio at the end?

Comment by Patterico (9c670f) — 2/12/2013 @ 7:45 pm

32. roobs is a smarmy dude there’s just no way around it

Comment by happyfeet (323d6f) — 2/12/2013 @ 7:45 pm

33. Hey Jamie, Uncle Sam is your uncle—he’s not your daddy.

Comment by Elephant Stone (19c811) — 2/12/2013 @ 7:52 pm

34. The funniest thing about “progressives” is that they think when their “progressive” leaders finally get in power, they will be spared.

I don’t know why that is.

Comment by Ag80 (b2c81f) — 2/12/2013 @ 7:56 pm

35. Yes, that’s what the executives of ‘the Sirius Cybernetic Company’ thought, before the revolution,

Comment by narciso (3fec35) — 2/12/2013 @ 7:58 pm

36. I already forget what President Thin Skin Empty Suit Food Stamp Gun Grabber Economy Raper Blameshifter said.

Is it me or is it him?

Comment by daleyrocks (bf33e9) — 2/12/2013 @ 8:05 pm

37. Oh yeah, more lectric cars with external combustion engines!!!!!!11ty!!!!!

Comment by daleyrocks (bf33e9) — 2/12/2013 @ 8:06 pm

38. meanie mums whey jizz mr. daley

eff yeah!

Comment by happyfeet (323d6f) — 2/12/2013 @ 8:09 pm

39. This time, they won’t explode in the rain?

Comment by narciso (3fec35) — 2/12/2013 @ 8:10 pm

40. I was out and only just saw a few clips of the “highlights” on tv news. My local ABC station seemed to feel he won in a landslide and was therefore unabashedly pushing his progressive agenda to the country.

To my tender ears he sounded like a sweaty wound up preacher in a revival tent. Very very shrill and very unpresidential. Ugh.

Comment by elissa (e37e35) — 2/12/2013 @ 8:15 pm

41. Did they mention FLOTUS’ guest illegals?

Did they mention Ted Nugent?

G’ Night

Comment by MD in Philly (3d3f72) — 2/12/2013 @ 8:22 pm

42. daleyrocks,

He lectured us with a laundry list of our faults and shortcomings, but then said he still wants to continue to date us for another four years.
    Did I say “date” ?
    I meant, “screw.”

He also informed us he’s run out of money, and maxed out the credit cards, but it wouldn’t be ‘right’ to not borrow money to pay off those accrued bills because it’s all in the name of the children, and the middle classes, and fairness. Or something.

Comment by Elephant Stone (19c811) — 2/12/2013 @ 8:26 pm

43. Repeating a lie don’t make it true.

Comment by JD (b63a52) — 2/12/2013 @ 8:31 pm

44. I don’t think very many people actually watched the speech. Do you?

Comment by elissa (e37e35) — 2/12/2013 @ 8:34 pm

45. honestly I think dorner burned people out

so to speak

Comment by happyfeet (323d6f) — 2/12/2013 @ 8:35 pm

46. If Democrats wrote inscriptions on statues:

To thy happy children
    of the future
    those of the past
    send greetings a middle finger

Comment by elissa (e37e35) — 2/12/2013 @ 8:41 pm

47. State of the Union: Will Obama Tell Young People He’s Screwing Them Big Time?

But if the proprietor of the most open and transparent and clean-smelling administration of all time wants to make some real news, he might speak honestly to the segment of the American electorate that he is screwing over six ways to Sunday: Young voters between the ages of 18 and 29. Listen up, kids! Your parents are robbing your futures blind and you’re chumps enough not only to go along but to say – like the adorable title orphan in the classic baby boomer musical Oliver! – please, sir, I want some more.

From virtually every possible angle, Obama is helping to diminish the prospects for today’s younger generation.

Comment by elissa (e37e35) — 2/12/2013 @ 8:47 pm

48. The President said this:

The choice isn’t just between big government or big business. What we need is an accountable, efficient and effective government that allows small and new businesses to create middle class jobs.

We don’t have to raise taxes to avoid the President’s devastating cuts to our military. Republicans have passed a plan that replaces these cuts with responsible spending reforms.

In order to balance our budget, the choice doesn’t have to be either higher taxes or dramatic benefit cuts for those in need. Instead we should grow our economy so that we create new taxpayers, not new taxes, and so our government can afford to help those who truly cannot help themselves.

And the truth is every problem can’t be solved by government. Many are caused by the moral breakdown in our society. And the answers to those challenges lie primarily in our families and our faiths, not our politicians.

Oh wait, I’m sorry, I copied and pasted the wrong thing. That was Rubio.

One of my best lefty friends posted something like this without irony. I’m changing slightly to avoid embarrassment at parties:

We’re dealing with a cult, not a political movement.

Comment by Ag80 (b2c81f) — 2/12/2013 @ 8:54 pm

49. Justified was way more interesting.

Comment by JD (b63a52) — 2/12/2013 @ 8:55 pm

50. We’re dealing with a cult, not a political movement.

not really Mr. 80 it’s more like we’re dealing with a party what captured the center almost solely by virtue of being perceived as being less loathsome than the other party

Comment by happyfeet (323d6f) — 2/12/2013 @ 8:59 pm

51. Missed it: They were re-running that episode of Happy Days where Fonzie acts cool and Ritchie comes off like a dork.

Comment by JVW (4826a9) — 2/12/2013 @ 9:13 pm

52. neither the hotairs nor the Mr. Instapundit have anything on that Rand person

that counts as a fizzle in my book

Comment by happyfeet (323d6f) — 2/12/2013 @ 9:21 pm

53. http://www.therightscoop.com/full-speech-rand-pauls-tea-party-response-to-the-state-of-the-union-address/

Comment by narciso (3fec35) — 2/12/2013 @ 9:23 pm

54. they said yes Rand Paul’s been here but their memory wasn’t clear

was it yesterday?

no, wait… the day before I think

Comment by happyfeet (323d6f) — 2/12/2013 @ 9:24 pm

55. watching now thank you Mr. narciso

Comment by happyfeet (323d6f) — 2/12/2013 @ 9:25 pm

56. This massive expansion of the debt destroys savings and steals the value of your wages.

Big government makes it more expensive to put food on the table. Big government is not your friend. The President offers you free stuff but his policies keep you poor.

Under President Obama, the ranks of America’s poor swelled to almost 1 in 6 people last year, reaching a new high as long-term unemployment left millions of Americans struggling and out of work.

The cycle must be broken.

Mr. Paul’s speech is much more relevant than roobs and not even a little bit smarmy

Comment by happyfeet (323d6f) — 2/12/2013 @ 9:33 pm

57. Rubio is the GOP’s great hope? What is the GOP doing about growing the economy. And what about global warming?

We’re dealing with a cult, not a political movement.

One of my far-left leaning friends said that if the government gave everyone $1000 paid for by gas taxes, then he and his fellow travelers could spend it on something healthy while the unenlightened would suffer and buy more gas.

Words just can’t describe the sadness I’m feeling.

Comment by Chuck Bartowski (ad7249) — 2/12/2013 @ 9:38 pm

58. I was able to miss the entire SOU when I found a nice replay of a golf tournament from last year with a threeway playoff to break a tie. It’s depressing to think that this, the 5th replay of these fantastical notions, might be the electromagnetic signal that first attracts an instellar intellegence to our little solar system. Once they decodes these signals, it is likely that their main concern will be whether these dull beasts will be rich in high- or low density cholesterol. Fox business channel had a Stossel SOU right after and I was able to glean a bit about the (sur)real thing based on his comments, which just confirmed my choice of the golf program (neither my wife nor I play golf, but we like the scenery and the incredible skills of the top pros.)

Speaking of SOU, in 2010 Michelle O had the civilian security officers from Fort Hood as her guests. The female officer, Kimberley Munley, has come to realize that she and her fellow officer were there for window dressing, and now they, and especially the injured soldiers from the terrorist attack, are about as significant as a sheet of toilet paper to the hte one. It’s been covered here before I think, but when the hte one decided this was an incident of work place violence, this left the patients and nurses who survived the massacre with no health care or other financial resources to assist with their recovery, other than filing a claim with Major Assan’s insurance company I suppose.

Comment by bobathome (c0c2b5) — 2/12/2013 @ 10:01 pm

59. JD I knew you had watched Justified from your comment at 43. And Raylan has yet to kill anyone…

Comment by Gazzer (78d6dd) — 2/12/2013 @ 10:13 pm

60. last year’s SOTU thread garnered 232 comments

by this time it had about 206 of them

Comment by happyfeet (323d6f) — 2/12/2013 @ 10:21 pm

61. hf, we’ve been demoralized, I’m afraid…

Comment by Gazzer (78d6dd) — 2/12/2013 @ 10:28 pm

62. Plus, it’s essentially a rerun. We’ve heard it all before.

Comment by Gazzer (78d6dd) — 2/12/2013 @ 10:29 pm

63. things are pretty grim that’s for sure

Comment by happyfeet (323d6f) — 2/12/2013 @ 10:39 pm

64. last year’s SOTU thread garnered 232 comments

by this time it had about 206 of them

Yeah, but last year was an election year and we all were interested in hearing what lies Dear Leader would tell us to make himself sound more moderate. This year I think we all figured he would fly his left-wing freak flag, so there was no real sense in hearning him drone (*rimshot*) on about it.

Comment by JVW (4826a9) — 2/12/2013 @ 10:51 pm

65. I dislike re-runs, particularly with bad actors, and a silly plot.
    This production got demerits on all three items.

But, on a lighter note, the Ducks pulled out a fantastic Shoot-out Win over the Blackhawks, in Chi-town.

Comment by askeptic (2bb434) — 2/12/2013 @ 11:41 pm

66. things are pretty grim that’s for sure

cheer up!

things are bound to get worse… 8)

Comment by redc1c4 (403dff) — 2/13/2013 @ 1:46 am

67. The SOTU was on as we were eating dinner and I had a horrible thought. I asked my wife to lean back and check the TV screen, and see if a block of empty seats had been set aside for the dead Newtown schoolchildren.

Apparently no one at the White House had thought of doing that, though.

Comment by RNB (d95551) — 2/13/2013 @ 3:58 am

68. I don’t know how deep they actually went here;

Comment by narciso (3fec35) — 2/13/2013 @ 6:56 am

69. Same old same old…

The edict on climate change was despotic, not liberal. I believe climate change is a problem and humans contribute to it. However, ‘either do what I say or I will just start issuing executive orders’ that make green energy companies rich is not the kind of governing we should be lauding, regardless of party or ideological bent.

His plea on gun control was manipulative and empty. It worked thematically, but failed on substance. The only point was to make Republicans look bad, while simultaneously lecturing about compromise and the importance of working together.

Comment by elissa (57ebdf) — 2/13/2013 @ 7:17 am

70. Mr. red more bigger minimum wages are a mighty beacon holding the darkness at bay

I can has to pay mor for cheezburger?

yes you can has lil pikachu

Comment by happyfeet (323d6f) — 2/13/2013 @ 7:19 am

71. Kirsten Powers is one of the few on the left who have him paegged and is willing to be honest about it. President banalities and tropes.

The gauge of how leftwing (and nonsensical) a person is can be determined by how he or she perceives Barry. Powers, therefore, appears to be a bit less insanely liberal than the president is.

However, I know a dyed-in-the-wool liberal who, based on the recent flap about the use of drones to kill anyone, American citizens included, told me a few days ago that he thought such controversies meant Obama couldn’t be labeled as of the left. I disagreed, although I should have muttered that Obama — as is true of most folks on the left (regardless of their income level) — was, in fact, a “limousine liberal” (ie, two-faced, hypocritical, disingenuous, dishonest and a total fool about human nature—of oneself and others).

Comment by Mark (b40cf0) — 2/13/2013 @ 7:34 am

72. Slutty flight attendant’s take:

Comment by gary gulrud (dd7d4e) — 2/13/2013 @ 9:52 am

73. McVain has finally come to his senses and is going to set ‘respect’ aside for actually protecting us.

Benghazi answers before Hagel confirmation vote and ph*ck Brennan ’til his seams burst.

Comment by gary gulrud (dd7d4e) — 2/13/2013 @ 9:56 am

74. Their Abe Watanabe is as stoopid as our Abe wannabe.

The doors will be blown completely off in 10, 9, 8,..

Comment by gary gulrud (dd7d4e) — 2/13/2013 @ 10:01 am

75. Doh, I’ll quit now.

Comment by gary gulrud (dd7d4e) — 2/13/2013 @ 10:02 am

76. the LDP is still the party of state cartelization, that wasn’t chastened by the property bubble they caused,

Comment by narciso (3fec35) — 2/13/2013 @ 10:10 am

77. Comment by Mark (b40cf0) — 2/13/2013 @ 7:34 am

I think that they’ve “evolved/grown” from being “Limousine Liberals”, to Limousine Fascists (that’s what happens when you pull the scab off).

Comment by askeptic (b8ab92) — 2/13/2013 @ 10:50 am

78. from Breitbart:

In his State of the Union address, President Barack Obama failed to mention the late Ambassador Christopher Stevens and the three other Americans who died on Sep. 11, 2012 in the terror attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi. He mentioned the victims of the massacre in Newtown, CT in December, and invited the families of victims of other violent gun crimes to watch from the gallery. But the Benghazi victims´ families were not present at all. Instead of offering even the slightest word of tribute for the fallen, for Chris Stevens´s amazing career or for the bravery of the of the diplomatic and security personnel who fought the enemy alone for several hours, President Obama instead boasted of his administration’s success in the fight against Al Qaeda:

Nope, because to honor the ambassador the president would have had to utter the unmentionable word –Benghazi—in his campaign state of the union address. Can’t have that. And besides, what difference does it make.

Comment by elissa (57ebdf) — 2/13/2013 @ 11:16 am

79. Rush made the comment today that the reason the one is on constant campaign is because it gives the illusion that he is not responsible for anything that is happening, but is leading a crusade against “them”. Just like a dictator who keeps the “revolution” alive, even though the revolutionaries have been the ones in charge of the country for 10 years; only possible when the media is either controlled or complicit. The constant campaign will last at least until 2014 to try to get the house back.

Comment by MD in Philly (3d3f72) — 2/13/2013 @ 11:44 am

80. To counter that, the GOP needs to be constantly referring to The Check List:
    (example)
    Sequester….Proposed by President Obama….check

Comment by askeptic (b8ab92) — 2/13/2013 @ 12:00 pm

81. Comment by MD in Philly (3d3f72) — 2/12/2013 @ 6:42 pm

Doesn’t the President have a requirement to uphold the laws of the land?

Only the constitution, not the laws. And besides this is not a law, it’s just an administrative procedure. He could also have a non-U.S. person as a guest, I assume.

Obama is sort of doing it both wasys when it comes to medical marijuana. Saying it is not legal when a state makes it legal but on the other hand, there won’t enforcement targeted at state licensed marijuana dealers.

This is the Imperial Presidency, if he says it is OK, then it is, apparently.

Comment by Sammy Finkelman (d22d64) — 2/13/2013 @ 12:15 pm

82. 76. A year back we, well most of us, were thinking the EU would lead the world into global catastrophe.

Japan is having none of that. How does one reflate with energy leading the charge?

Today the 10-year auction of Treasuries priced at 2.05%. Not bad news yet, over 3% probably would cause some gnashing of teeth tho.

Japan and EU both will be ash heaps B4 then. Some are saying 2016:

Comment by gary gulrud (dd7d4e) — 2/13/2013 @ 12:29 pm

83. Define crazy, please:

Comment by gary gulrud (dd7d4e) — 2/13/2013 @ 12:32 pm

84. ==Just like a dictator who keeps the “revolution” alive, even though the revolutionaries have been the ones in charge of the country for 10 years==

That’s a very good analogy, MD in Philly.

Comment by elissa (57ebdf) — 2/13/2013 @ 12:32 pm

85. what a bunch of right wing idiotic unamerican racist ignorant twaddle from you morons. a bunch of sore losers with racist bigoted minds who don’t know jack about anything. you’re pathetic.

Comment by rickster (b9bf7f) — 2/13/2013 @ 12:42 pm

86. comment number two was so great and grand. bush lied us into a war and you have the nerve to say that about obama? you need your racist ass kicked to the curb.

Comment by rickster (b9bf7f) — 2/13/2013 @ 12:44 pm

87. 2. Truth be told, I would have dissolved into a mewling mess.

Linda Blair, in the Exorcist, had nothing on this Lord of Vomit.

Comment by gary gulrud (dd7d4e) — 2/13/2013 @ 12:51 pm

88. 85. Ha, hah. We are merely ‘nullifying’ your election.

Walmart is more Amerikkka than the Federal Government.

Comment by gary gulrud (dd7d4e) — 2/13/2013 @ 12:54 pm

89. rickster – Are you a low information racist Obama voter?

Comment by daleyrocks (bf33e9) — 2/13/2013 @ 12:58 pm

90. It’s the House that comes up for re-election first. They know our side will shoot the mute, deaf invalids among us first.

Deep Throat said to give you this, rickster:

Comment by gary gulrud (dd7d4e) — 2/13/2013 @ 1:06 pm

91. I’ve always wanted someone like rickster to answer this question:

When a black person criticized George Bush or LBJ or any of the past presidents was it always uniquivcably and unquestionably only reflecting reverse racism or were there actual personality traits, policies and actions the other presidents took that might generate legitimate concern and scorn? Can you answer this question honestly, rickster? Do you think there just might be some things about President Obama’s policies, actions and personal approach that would be highly criticizable by some people no matter what color he is? Or, unlike every president who went before him is he just perfect and immune from criticism?

In the meantime–as we await your response–I’d place a good bet that most of the regular commenters here are far more colorblind than you’ll ever be, rickster.

Comment by elissa (57ebdf) — 2/13/2013 @ 1:16 pm

92. 15. Jamie is drinking the koolaid

Comment by JD (5a02de) — 2/12/2013 @ 7:04 pm

My dog was drinking the toilet water.

I am now convinced my dog is a visionary.

Comment by Steve57 (60a887) — 2/13/2013 @ 1:27 pm

93. Comment by rickster (b9bf7f) — 2/13/2013 @ 12:44 pm

Any time, Old Buddy; PP is authorized to give you my “20″.

Comment by askeptic (b8ab92) — 2/13/2013 @ 1:37 pm

94. SOTU….
    I am particularly appreciative that SSgt Clinton Romesha (USA) MoH, refused the WH’s invitation to attend this event.

Well Done, Sergeant!

Comment by askeptic (b8ab92) — 2/13/2013 @ 1:47 pm

95. remember when we had good trolls?

#Forward!

Comment by redc1c4 (403dff) — 2/13/2013 @ 2:24 pm

96. ==remember when we had good trolls?==

Um No. Musta been before my time.

Comment by elissa (57ebdf) — 2/13/2013 @ 2:31 pm

97. Rickster is so cute. Ain’t be just precious. Bless your heart, rickster.

Comment by JD (805f82) — 2/13/2013 @ 2:59 pm

98. i scrolled up hoping i was comment number 2

but nope

that would’ve been cool though

Comment by happyfeet (4bf7c2) — 2/13/2013 @ 3:05 pm

99. Well since gary provided the high lights;

Comment by narciso (3fec35) — 2/13/2013 @ 3:07 pm

100. When did we have good trolls? The twit above is typical.

Comment by SPQR (8f134c) — 2/13/2013 @ 3:07 pm

101. Let’s take bets on whether rickster is a one-time troll, or whether he or she continues to dazzle us with that refined wit.

Comment by JVW (4826a9) — 2/13/2013 @ 3:12 pm

102. i long for the good old days on Usenet, before it was always September.

Comment by redc1c4 (403dff) — 2/13/2013 @ 3:13 pm

103. instead of calling this the “SOTU” event, we should give it a more accurate name that describes it properly.

i’m thinking “STFU” would be a good start… 8-)

Comment by redc1c4 (403dff) — 2/13/2013 @ 3:14 pm

104. Obama ate a dog, but Rubio drinks bottled water. Rubio is primitive.

Comment by daleyrocks (bf33e9) — 2/13/2013 @ 3:20 pm

105. i scrolled up hoping i was comment number 2

I did the same thing.

Comment by JD (805f82) — 2/13/2013 @ 3:33 pm

106. I didn’t see it, but now I know not to listen to anything Rubio said.

He drinks water. What an idiot.

That’s the message I received loud and clear from the media.

Comment by Amphipolis (e01538) — 2/13/2013 @ 3:50 pm

107. Amphipolis-

ABC Evening news with Diane Sawyer has 30 minutes (minus advertising time) to update us on the day’s key events from around the world. They thought a clip of Rubio “diving for his water” was one of those key events. Well, they had to do it because, as Diane trilled, “twitter was abuzz”. You cannot make this stuff up.

Comment by elissa (57ebdf) — 2/13/2013 @ 4:03 pm

108. We only think it’s water.

Comment by askeptic (b8ab92) — 2/13/2013 @ 4:10 pm

109. well, since they are saying Rubio’s a moron, it could very well be Val-U-rite in that bottle…that’s what we morons prefer.

8-)

Comment by redc1c4 (403dff) — 2/13/2013 @ 4:27 pm

110. it was like Django Unchained in real life!

Comment by happyfeet (4bf7c2) — 2/13/2013 @ 5:22 pm

111. oops wrong thread

Comment by happyfeet (4bf7c2) — 2/13/2013 @ 5:22 pm

112. I like it better in this thread.

Comment by SarahW (b0e533) — 2/13/2013 @ 5:40 pm

113. ;)

Comment by happyfeet (4bf7c2) — 2/13/2013 @ 5:41 pm

114. Now would be a good time to give the Popemobile a good going over-check the fluids,lube job,tune-up new windshield wipers etc,

Comment by pdbuttons (cc39cf) — 2/13/2013 @ 7:08 pm

115. shotgun!

Comment by happyfeet (323d6f) — 2/13/2013 @ 7:14 pm

116. Looks like a number of Obots are feigning orgasm:

Nineteen million, re-runs of ‘Friends’ get that, aina?

Comment by gary gulrud (dd7d4e) — 2/13/2013 @ 7:21 pm

117. Ace:

Time to sell out to Xinhua while its stock price is positive.

Comment by gary gulrud (dd7d4e) — 2/13/2013 @ 7:40 pm

118. Via ZH:

Kathimerini reports: “Four out of 10 Greeks told the same survey that they no longer have any disposable money left after covering their basic needs, which is the highest rate ever recorded in Greece and the biggest in the October-December period in Europe. A year earlier (in Q4 2011) that rate had stood at 34 percent and in Q4 of 2010 it had been at 25 percent.”

Ogabe’s target.

Comment by gary gulrud (dd7d4e) — 2/13/2013 @ 7:50 pm

119. Or we can look at what eight years of Zapatero has wrought,

Comment by narciso (3fec35) — 2/13/2013 @ 8:06 pm

120. Ha Ha Ha. That clever Drudge right now has headlined photos of President Obama and Hilary drinking water. Right alongside Marco.

Comment by elissa (57ebdf) — 2/13/2013 @ 8:10 pm

121. President Barack Obama failed to mention the late Ambassador Christopher Stevens

I can’t help but be sarcastic about the ongoing debacle that is the current White House. So I’ll snort that Stevens was gay — without a loving wife and kids to grieve for him (cue contrasting image of Michelle with Sasha and Malia) — so even the liberals thought he was expendable. Besides, when one is “progressive” — and compassionate for compassionate’s sake — he or she can be a scroungy SOB (hey, there Barack!) and all is forgiven.

Comment by Mark (b40cf0) — 2/13/2013 @ 8:14 pm

122. We did not need that Mark.

Comment by elissa (57ebdf) — 2/13/2013 @ 8:16 pm

123. Mark can be a d-bag

Comment by JD (805f82) — 2/13/2013 @ 8:19 pm

124. I rather imagine Ambassador Stevens had many people in his life who loved him, grieve for him and miss him very much. He deserved way better than he got from the U.S. government in Benghazi and since.

Comment by elissa (57ebdf) — 2/13/2013 @ 8:20 pm

125. They sent him to Tripoli, a year before, he had contacts in the ancient regime and the rebels,
    which makes the pulling of the security team, all the more strange.

Comment by narciso (3fec35) — 2/13/2013 @ 8:23 pm

126. Did people laugh at Rubio at the end?

Comment by Patterico (9c670f) — 2/12/2013 @ 7:45 pm

Comment by carlitos (4e532b) — 2/13/2013 @ 8:42 pm

127. Days that carlitos comments are good days.

Comment by JD (805f82) — 2/13/2013 @ 8:45 pm

128. Obama ate dog. Rubio drank bottled water.

Comment by JD (805f82) — 2/13/2013 @ 8:46 pm

129. rickster- just got back from the Ace Bailey benefit for the childrens hospital in Boston. If your impeached rapist clinton would have been doing his job instead of doing a 19 year old intern in the white house, one of my best friends wouldn’t be splattered all over nyc. Time for democrats to pay up for allowing 911 to happen. And rickster get off your sister.

Comment by mg (31009b) — 2/13/2013 @ 8:58 pm

130. Rubio may drink water, but Obama drinks Kool-Aid !

Comment by Elephant Stone (7a462f) — 2/13/2013 @ 9:06 pm

131. Obumbles may eat dog, but he sleeps with a Wookie.

Comment by redc1c4 (403dff) — 2/13/2013 @ 9:20 pm

132. rubios may make fish tacos but you can also get shrimp

Comment by happyfeet (323d6f) — 2/13/2013 @ 9:26 pm

133. Mark can be a d-bag

Uh, gee, thanks. Then again, I was channeling the inner thoughts of the cynical, manipulative types occupying the current White House. The type of people who are so full of compassion and humanity, they, as one example, nobly, touchingly politicized the funeral of Minnesota Senator Paul Wellstone (D) several years ago.

BTW, and getting out of the sarcastic mode, a few days ago I overheard a very devout liberal — a sycophant of Obama — make a petty, condescending remark about the sexuality of a person he had seen on TV and wasn’t enamored of. If a person of the left doesn’t even conform to the stereotype of at least being a tolerant soul, then the one (and generally only) good attribute associated with liberalism doesn’t exist in the person in question. IOW, he or she is 0 for 2.

Comment by Mark (b40cf0) — 2/13/2013 @ 9:27 pm

134. “fish tacos”… heh.

Comment by redc1c4 (403dff) — 2/13/2013 @ 9:29 pm

135. even with salacious double entendres we have almost 100 comments to go before we match last year’s sotu

we are a dispirited people a dispirited people are we

Comment by happyfeet (323d6f) — 2/13/2013 @ 9:51 pm

136. “channeling”

Mark – That word is not used in the way you consistently comment. Try again.

Comment by daleyrocks (bf33e9) — 2/13/2013 @ 10:55 pm

137. no fish tacos @ Tacos Manzano, but you could get the fish plate and make your own with the tortillas that come with it.

i’ll be eating the carnitas, because i’m a pig. 8-)

Comment by redc1c4 (403dff) — 2/13/2013 @ 11:18 pm

138. I didn’t watch the SOTU reality show but I watched several old vids.

It we can’t have Bibi Netanyahu as Preezy can we please please pretty puh-leaze have Shakira?

There are multiple reasons why but I’m thinking Shakira could at least make a better “shake your moneymaker” half time act than Biden.

Comment by Steve57 (60a887) — 2/13/2013 @ 11:24 pm

139. *It=If*

Comment by Steve57 (60a887) — 2/13/2013 @ 11:28 pm

140. I have different reasons for thinking Netanyahu would be a good Preezy in case any wiseacres want to chime in,

Comment by Steve57 (60a887) — 2/13/2013 @ 11:41 pm

141. ‘Thirty-three other broadcast programs had bigger audiences than NBC’s most-watched show last week, “Dateline NBC.”‘

The difference between NBC and The Titanic is that there was entertainment on The Titanic.

Comment by Chuck Bartowski (ad7249) — 2/13/2013 @ 11:44 pm

142. 141. LOL

Japan in 3rd consecutive quarter of recession, Germany 2nd, Britain in double dip expects inflation above target thru 2016, China’s real, as calculated by outsiders, GDP growth 3.5%/

Sure glad the world, per Geithner, no longer counts on us to keep it spinning on axis. American consumer tapped out.

Comment by gary gulrud (dd7d4e) — 2/14/2013 @ 3:11 am

143. 135- Mr. Feet, think it’s bad now, wait until the next vote and see how low the numbers go. Snotty Brown republicans can kiss my snow shoes.

Comment by mg (31009b) — 2/14/2013 @ 3:48 am