2/10/2013

Filed under: General — JD @ 7:49 pm

[Guest post by JD]

The Black Keys
Gotye
Carrie Underwood won over Dierks Bentley and Eric Church. Ugh
Fun! won a couple
I am trying to understand Jack White III but I don’t get what others see.
Kelly Clarkson had, I think, they only genuine acceptance speech.

—JD

1. My 11 year old could not understand why One Direction and Teh Beiber were not winning everything.

Comment by JD (b63a52) — 2/10/2013 @ 7:50 pm

2. Seacrest just shook hands with the wrong hand.

Comment by JD (b63a52) — 2/10/2013 @ 7:52 pm

3. i like carrie’s recent stuff but it should’ve been eric’s year

Comment by happyfeet (323d6f) — 2/10/2013 @ 7:53 pm

4. Oh, yeah, Zac Brown Band.

Alabama Shakes can freaking belt out a tune.

Comment by JD (b63a52) — 2/10/2013 @ 8:06 pm

5. The Grammys are still a thing?

Comment by Ghost (2d8874) — 2/10/2013 @ 8:18 pm

6. Frank Ocean just performed a poorly executed practical joke. Had to be.

Comment by JD (b63a52) — 2/10/2013 @ 8:24 pm

7. I hate the Grammys but have developed a bit of a soft spot for Taylor Swift because of my daughter, who loves her. Swift seems reasonably wholesome as these people go.

So I watched the opening, which was bizarre and overdone. I don’t like the song and didn’t like the performance.

Still, I thought: take *that*, Kanye West!

Comment by Patterico (9c670f) — 2/10/2013 @ 8:50 pm

8. I have also thought that taylor swift has been pretty reasonable about song topics and the like (in reference to my 12 yo daughter). I hope that will continue…

Didn’t see much of it, but did happen to see Mumford and Sons… love that rock banjo.

Comment by MD in Philly (3d3f72) — 2/10/2013 @ 8:56 pm

9. I have a container of snow that Taylor Swift, Hairy Styles, and Justin Bieber skied over at a resort. My daughter treasures it. I call it water now.

Comment by JD (b63a52) — 2/10/2013 @ 9:00 pm

10. Comment by JD (b63a52) — 2/10/2013 @ 9:00 pm

You mean you didn’t buy some dry ice to protect it during transit to your freezer?

Comment by MD in Philly (3d3f72) — 2/10/2013 @ 9:03 pm

11. It alternates between water and ice.

Comment by JD (b63a52) — 2/10/2013 @ 9:04 pm

12. I am not going to watch that spectacle until they finally give a long-overdue Lifetime Achievement Grammy to Tony Orlando. And maybe C.W. McCall too.

Comment by JVW (4826a9) — 2/10/2013 @ 9:09 pm

13. Taylor Swift does seem like a nice young lady. I wonder how long it will take to cure her of those tendencies.

Comment by JVW (4826a9) — 2/10/2013 @ 9:10 pm

14. OT- but it has to do with celebrity:

So, there is one report (by Freeh) that was quick to blame a dead Joe Pa so PSU could move on,
    and another (by Thornburgh) at the request of the Paterno family that says, “No, you cannot make JoePa the fall guy”.

Both with identifiable biases, which I think is fine. One needs to look at the facts as presented and make one’s own decision.

Comment by MD in Philly (3d3f72) — 2/10/2013 @ 9:18 pm

15. Justin Bieber creeps me out. I was a young girl myself at one time but I absolutely do not see what the pre-adolescent females today see in Bieber. If he exemplifies the kind of boy they think has sex appeal I fear the human race is doomed.

Comment by elissa (6d38b2) — 2/10/2013 @ 9:26 pm

16. My daughter liked the Dixie Chicks ten years ago. Catchy music does transcend time.

Comment by Ag80 (b2c81f) — 2/10/2013 @ 9:28 pm

17. =Taylor Swift does seem like a nice young lady.==

Well considering she hung around with 18 year old Connor Kennedy of “the” Kennedy’s most of last summer one might question her judgement– considering the reputation of generations of the Kennedy men.

Comment by elissa (6d38b2) — 2/10/2013 @ 9:30 pm

18. That didn’t last long, but then again that is a problem with her, she’s getting a little divaish
    frankly,

Comment by narciso (3fec35) — 2/10/2013 @ 9:45 pm

19. Did Elvis win anything?

Comment by daleyrocks (bf33e9) — 2/10/2013 @ 11:38 pm

20. My lack of interest in the Grammys borders on the supernatural.

I think Aaron Sorkin summed up the Grammys in his show, “Sports Night”, “The Apology” (s1ep2):

Casey: Can I just say one more thing about the Starland Vocal Band?
    Dan: Sure.
    Casey: 1978, they win the Grammy for Best New Artist. You know who they beat? Elvis Costello. Now is it your belief that Elvis Costello isn’t cool?
    Dan: No, it’s my belief that the Grammy voters aren’t cool.

Like any liberal twit, or a broken analog clock, they ARE occasionally right… but that’s never the way to bet…

Comment by Smock Puppet, 10th Dan Snark Master and Certifiable Music Critic (98ae1f) — 2/11/2013 @ 1:51 am

21. }}} My daughter liked the Dixie Chicks ten years ago. Catchy music does transcend time.

You mean the idiot girls who switched to pop when it became clear their (rather obviously) country audience didn’t like (rather obviously) their glaringly open liberal twiticisms of Bush and Iraq?

Comment by Smock Puppet, 10th Dan Snark Master and Certifiable Music Critic (98ae1f) — 2/11/2013 @ 1:55 am

22. Justin Beiber has done things very few people know about. He heard about a girl dying of cancer who wanted to see him. He quietly became close friends with her. It was a true friendship and made the last year of her life as happy as possible. Never cared for him or his music, but class he has.

Comment by mg (31009b) — 2/11/2013 @ 1:57 am

23. Gotye delenda est.

Comment by Alan (098693) — 2/11/2013 @ 3:26 am

24. if you say black keys ten times fast you’re probably a racist

Comment by happyfeet (323d6f) — 2/11/2013 @ 7:47 am

25. unless you’re just calling your dog

Comment by happyfeet (4bf7c2) — 2/11/2013 @ 1:00 pm

26. unless you’re just calling your dog

Even IF that if your dog’s name is “Rex”. :-D

Comment by Smock Puppet, 10th Dan Snark Master and Certifiable Music Critic (98ae1f) — 2/11/2013 @ 5:16 pm

27. If I had a dog, his name would be tiz. Then I’d pretend to lose him, and get some pretty girls on city sidewalks to help me find him by calling his name.

Yes, I’d get a bunch of pretty girls on the street going “Here, Tiz! Here, Tiz!!”

Comment by Smock Puppet, 10th Dan Snark Master and Burlesque Entertainer (98ae1f) — 2/11/2013 @ 5:19 pm