2/8/2013

Humble Obama

Filed under: General — JD @ 8:07 am

[Guest post by JD]

Sometimes I wonder if Obama is simply self-unaware. Or if his speech writers moonlight for The Onion.

At the National Prayer Breakfast, Obama told us …

President Obama delivered a contemplative call for humility, driven by faith and abiding respect for those who disagree, at a national prayer gathering Thursday morning in Washington.

Amid fierce political debates often marked by partisan rigidity, the president used the National Prayer Breakfast to call for a more humble approach.

“While God may reveal his plan to us in portions, the expanse of his plan is for God and God alone to understand,” Mr. Obama said.

Americans’ task as citizens, Mr. Obama said, “is to spend our days with open hearts and open minds, to seek out the truth that exists in an opposing view, and find the common ground that exist for us to take meaningful action.”

Referring briefly to debates over taxes and debt “less pronounced” than those faced by Lincoln and King, Mr. Obama said, “We must keep that same humility that Dr. King and Lincoln and Washington and all our great leaders understood is at the core of true leadership.”

Mr. Obama’s speech to the bipartisan gathering of political and community leaders at the Washington Hilton was less overtly political than it was last year, toward the beginning of his re-election campaign, when he tied Jesus’s teachings to his call for higher taxes on the wealthy. But in the past – Thursday’s speech was his fifth appearance as president at the breakfast – he has used the gathering more as an opportunity to discuss his faith.

The rarity of such a cordial gathering of members of different parties was noted by the other public officials who spoke. Mr. Obama added, “I do worry sometimes that as soon as we leave the prayer breakfast, everything we’ve been talking about at the prayer breakfast seems to be forgotten.”

He said, “We’d like to think the shelf life wasn’t so short. I go back to the Oval Office and start watching cable news networks, and it’s like we didn’t pray.”

Teh One that will make the oceans stop rising, and heal the planet, is calling for humility.

Teh One, that as a matter of practice, misrepresents his opponents’ views, and attributes bad motives to them is bemoaning this practice.

Even more ironic is the last paragraph, where he bemoans the nature of the rhetoric after people leave the prayer breakfast. Teh One went from the prayer breakfast to a Dem policy conference, where presumably they talked about bipartisanship, finding common ground, attributing pure motives to your opponent, and not demagoguing issues.

Obama’s speech followed Dr Benjamin Carson, who was surprisingly critical of the current Administration’s imperious nature, taxes, healthcare …. watch it.

Teh One

—JD

1. Obama is humble.

Comment by JD (b63a52) — 2/8/2013 @ 8:13 am

2. “We’d like to think the shelf life wasn’t so short. I go back to the Oval Office and start watching cable news networks, and it’s like we didn’t pray.”
    ——————————–

Hey, Barry, that’s how we all felt on the morning of November 7.

Comment by Elephant Stone (e81189) — 2/8/2013 @ 8:36 am

3. Obama has the ability to convince himself of whatever BS he finds on the teleprompter. He certainly seems to have absolutely zero sense of how his BS appears to an audience.

And his indignation when someone does not buy into his BS reminds me of every con artist I’ve run across.

Comment by SPQR (768505) — 2/8/2013 @ 8:38 am

4. “Mr. Obama added, “I do worry sometimes that as soon as we leave the prayer breakfast, everything we’ve been talking about at the prayer breakfast seems to be forgotten.”’

Heh. Mr. Obama added, “You have to get into their faces.”

Comment by daleyrocks (bf33e9) — 2/8/2013 @ 8:54 am

5. Who knew that Chauncey Gardner was Black.

Comment by askeptic (b8ab92) — 2/8/2013 @ 9:09 am

6. Then again, there is the possibility that Allah is too busy facillitating Jihad to be able to respond to all of Barry’s requests.

Comment by Elephant Stone (e81189) — 2/8/2013 @ 9:10 am

7. food stamp has shit coming out of his freaky ears

Comment by happyfeet (4bf7c2) — 2/8/2013 @ 9:13 am

8. The look on Obama’s face as Dr. Carson went onabout the debt etc…priceless!!

Dr. Carson is actually a well known conservative and even had a movie made about him that was pretty good.

Comment by Patricia (be0117) — 2/8/2013 @ 9:15 am

9. Given that this is the Obama Administration’s idea of a good church service:

On the Sunday before the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday, senior White House adviser Valerie Jarrett visited Ebenezer Baptist Church in Atlanta to give a political speech, in support of her boss (Barack Obama) and congressional Democrats.

Can we really expect him to be any different in the secular world?

Comment by DRJ (a83b8b) — 2/8/2013 @ 9:18 am

10. Regarding humility: Obama defines sin according to his values, not God’s.

Comment by DRJ (a83b8b) — 2/8/2013 @ 9:21 am

11. Regarding humility: The royal “I.

Comment by DRJ (a83b8b) — 2/8/2013 @ 9:23 am

12. Regarding humility: Unlike prior Presidents, Obama rarely jokes about himself.

Comment by DRJ (a83b8b) — 2/8/2013 @ 9:27 am

13. Regarding humility: Obama does not like to be challenged.

I could go on and on — I have dozens of these — but I’ll stop. It’s too depressing.

Comment by DRJ (a83b8b) — 2/8/2013 @ 9:30 am

14. Humble — mumble — jumble — bumble

Comment by Icy (692833) — 2/8/2013 @ 9:30 am

15. Obama was too humble to think himself capable of doing anything helpful during the Benghazi attack.

Comment by Icy (692833) — 2/8/2013 @ 9:33 am

16. Thanks DRJ. It’s helpful to have these examples all in one place, so that next time one of my liberal friends tries to tell me that Dear Leader isn’t a Category 10 narcissist, I can just point out all of the examples you have collected.

Comment by JVW (4826a9) — 2/8/2013 @ 9:33 am

17. Given that this is the Obama Administration’s idea of a good church service:

Of course, Obama isn’t the type of liberal who’d, for example, crassly, crudely, grotesquely politicize the funeral service of a senator from Minnesota killed in a plane crash in 2002. The name “Paul Wellstone” comes to mind.

The left tends to at least be less political and partisan at such moments.

Oh, what’s that you say?!

Comment by Mark (6d735c) — 2/8/2013 @ 9:43 am

18. It’s not a lie if you believe it!

Comment by zippy costanza (f7d5ba) — 2/8/2013 @ 9:46 am

19. Those are all excellent, DRJ.

I am trying to find an article I read that attempted to claim Obama uses I/me/my less than the rest of the modern Presidents. I was rolling.

Comment by JD (b63a52) — 2/8/2013 @ 9:52 am

20. Barack Obama managed to find a way to insert his marvelous self and fab life story into the video commemoration of the fall of the Berlin wall, so it should have surprised no one that Daniel Inouye’s funeral eulogy praised, and was mostly about–Barack Obama as told by–Barack Obama.

SNL in its heyday would have pounced and would have had everybody laughing at him.

Comment by elissa (7c428f) — 2/8/2013 @ 10:12 am

21. Obama’s speech followed Dr Benjamin Carson

Wow! Thanks for posting that video, JD. I just finished watching it and am totally stunned.

Dr. Carson — a person who hasn’t just talked the talk, but walked the walk — and his common sense juxtaposed against Obama (so lacking in common sense) sitting near him, is astonishing.

I’m speechless.

Comment by Mark (6d735c) — 2/8/2013 @ 10:26 am

22. America is being held hostage by Obama’s ego and narcissism.

Comment by daleyrocks (bf33e9) — 2/8/2013 @ 10:35 am

23. SNL parodies about Teh Won….
    not as long as Predator/Hellfire’s are in the air.
    There was a serious reason for writing that memo, after all; it had nothing to do with something so minor as a threat to the National Security of the United States.

Comment by askeptic (b8ab92) — 2/8/2013 @ 10:35 am

24. At least we all now know the answer to the question “Who’s your daddy !?” should it ever be posed to Chris Rock.

Comment by Elephant Stone (e81189) — 2/8/2013 @ 10:41 am

25. A telling point:

@ 13:20 (approx) Dr. Carson takes a shot at lawyers, both Dem and GOP, and their penchant to win at any cost. Instead, he calls for them to seek to solve problems.
    The audience applauds,
    Teh Won just smiles, but does not join the others on the dais in applause.

Comment by askeptic (b8ab92) — 2/8/2013 @ 10:55 am

26. There is so much more to his career but I first became familiar with Dr. Carson because of his work separating conjoined twins. Most of his surgeries have been successful but one case was not, and his view of that surgery illustrates what a valuable and ethical thinker Dr. Carson is.

Comment by DRJ (a83b8b) — 2/8/2013 @ 11:08 am

27. We usually can learn more from our mistakes than our successes, and should if we want more of the later.

Comment by askeptic (b8ab92) — 2/8/2013 @ 11:24 am

28. Don’t drone me, bro.

Comment by daleyrocks (bf33e9) — 2/8/2013 @ 11:24 am

29. President Obama didn’t look comfortable as he listened to Dr. Carson’s speech. I think Obama’s discomfort was especially noticeable during Carson’s explanation of just how much $16T is.

I’d normally say that Obama was even more uncomfortable when Carson started talking about health care and recommended individual health savings accounts instead of bureaucratic health care but, frankly, it appears to me that Obama had already tuned out Carson at that point.

Comment by DRJ (a83b8b) — 2/8/2013 @ 11:44 am

30. I’m no body language expert but President Obama’s body language after Dr. Carson’s speech was interesting. Even though Obama applauded, his body language seemed to undermine his applause. On the other hand, Michelle Obama’s reaction to Carson seemed positive to me. I wish I knew more about body language to know if my impressions are correct.

Comment by DRJ (a83b8b) — 2/8/2013 @ 11:51 am

31. DRJ – he should have been very uncomfortable.

Comment by JD (b63a52) — 2/8/2013 @ 12:32 pm

32. The good angel on Ogabe’s right shoulder got in a few licks, but its atrophied and on the hosts recessive side.

The buff bad angel on his left then reminded Dog what he was about: crushing white hegemonist Amerikkka.

Dr. Carson is, in that light, Nietzsche’s buffoon walking the tightrope. “Can the fool not have heard, God is dead”.

Brutalizing the poor and people of color is not qualitatively relevant, he’s lowering every standard.

Comment by gary gulrud (dd7d4e) — 2/8/2013 @ 1:03 pm

33. Dr Carson for president. Heck, I’d even settle for a Senator.

Comment by Charlie (f7da1b) — 2/8/2013 @ 5:06 pm

34. Just a couple of questions.

Has anyone ever noticed that the President never addresses a problem at hand, but always resorts to a head fake about something else?

Has anyone ever noticed that the media never addresses a problem at hand, but always resorts to a head fake about something else?

Has anyone ever thought we should stop defensing the head fakes?

Comment by Ag80 (b2c81f) — 2/8/2013 @ 10:12 pm

35. baby in a bunker i know i know

it’s serious

Comment by happyfeet (323d6f) — 2/8/2013 @ 10:13 pm

36. Did you see how ticked off Obama was while this guy spoke about deficit reduction, personal responsibility, school reform, health care and a whole bunch of other stuff that has clearly been mishandled by our adorably incompetent president?

Teh Won was jutting his chin so high, I thought he might break his neck. And Sessions just kept on smirking. This here doc definitely won’t get invited back. I hear that he has a good book out, though.

Comment by Dirty Old Man (0e3dac) — 2/8/2013 @ 11:10 pm

37. Wonderful video of an intelligent, articulate, handsome, courageous, God fearing MAN. Dr Carson, thank you for your thoughtful and insightful ideas. May our Lord continue to bless you with wisdom, courage, and discernment. This nation is blessed to have you.

Comment by Lady Elaine (c1f0c2) — 2/8/2013 @ 11:14 pm

38. it makes you wonder but that maybe m’chelle isn’t just a big-hearted woman what married small

that’ll make a hell of a tv movie on oxygen someday huh

but this link should be in the post, how you can contribute to Mr. Dr. Carson’s endeavours

Comment by happyfeet (323d6f) — 2/8/2013 @ 11:45 pm

39. I find the “it’s like we didn’t pray” very offensive.

If things don’t change immediately, it’s like you didn’t pray? That’s not how it works.

Comment by MayBee (5d58db) — 2/9/2013 @ 12:06 am

40. which explains why he’s still president I guess

Comment by happyfeet (323d6f) — 2/9/2013 @ 1:43 am

41. I find the “it’s like we didn’t pray” very offensive.

I agree, but for different reasons, though I had not even considered yours. I think it is offensive because give his SOP, that which he purportedly prayed for, he had no intention or inclination to actually do. And his lament seems aimed at his opponents, oh sigh, they just don’t want to fight for equality and fairness and common sense even though I prayed for them.

Comment by JD (b63a52) — 2/9/2013 @ 5:12 am

42. Comment by Charlie (f7da1b) — 2/8/2013 @ 5:06 pm

He would certainly be an improvement over the dreck that represents Maryland currently.

Comment by askeptic (2bb434) — 2/9/2013 @ 9:24 am

43. Comment by Dirty Old Man (0e3dac) — 2/8/2013 @ 11:10 pm

It took all the self-control Teh Won could muster to keep from “scratching his nose”.

Comment by askeptic (2bb434) — 2/9/2013 @ 9:26 am

44. JD Regarding your comment @19, I compared the announcements made by President Bush about the capture of Sadam Hussein to those made by Obama about the killing of Osama Bin Laden.

Bush credited everyone involved, while Obama credited Obama… many times

Comment by Lbcatcher (61737c) — 2/9/2013 @ 2:19 pm

45. Lbcatcher – there was a leftist that claimed to have analysed it and came to the shocking conclusion that Teh One said I-me-my etc. less than all the other Presidents.

Comment by JD (599eb2) — 2/9/2013 @ 2:44 pm

46. In a little noticed Friday night document dump over a holiday weekend the White House attempted to bury an Obama Executive Order mandating anyone publishing a dictionary in the U.S., print or electronic, include a picture of POTUS next to the definition of the word humble.

Of course everyone knows the EO is not enforceable, except publishers may not want to play around with extortionate Chicago thug tactics for non-compliance, e.g., nice business you’ve got there, be a shame if the IRS audited the living crap out of it and you and made your life hell on earth.

Stranger things have happened.

Comment by daleyrocks (bf33e9) — 2/9/2013 @ 3:13 pm

47. I’m sure more than a few Catholic bishops had to go to confession and ask for absolution for the string of expletives that burst forth when they read President Humble’s speech. Chicago Jesus has had, what, a year now to humbly seek compromise on the HHS mandate? And he humbly refused to do so. And now the bishops have to sue him to get his goons back on their chain. This was “contemplative?” The reporters who wrote that fawning article about Prom Queen’s speech are going to put The Onion out of business.

Comment by Steve57 (0e996b) — 2/9/2013 @ 4:50 pm

48. BUSH ON SADDAM CAPTURE
    00: Selfish I, me, my
    04: Total I, me, my
    500: Total words

OBAMA ON OSAMA KILL
    10: Selfish I, me, my
    13: Total I, me, my
    1387: Total words

Comment by Joseph D (ece5cb) — 2/9/2013 @ 6:28 pm

49. elissa @20, Obama managed to insert himself into the WH bios of past presidents. How could he not make the speech at Inouye’s funeral all about his own wonderful self? Even a writer at a liberal rag (Slate I believe) noticed. When “Danny,” as The One humbly called the late octogenerian senator and MoH winner, managed to make a cameo appearance in what should have been a eulogy the author noted it was how Obama thought meeting the future President Wonderful must have been the highlight of “Danny’s” career.

President Prom Queen is the very picture of humility. Literally. When Niel Armstrong died the WH tribute to him was an official pic of The Obamessiah, staring up at the stars.

Who but a humble man would have asked his followers to register their weddings with his campaign fund instead of. Selfishly with some silly store?

When he said “God reveals His plan to us in portions…” I couldn’t help but realize he was talking about himself and his true 2nd term agenda.

Comment by Steve57 (08bc52) — 2/9/2013 @ 6:30 pm

50. And Rosa Parks, you can’t make this up, he’s as self absorbed as Zaphod Beeblebrox.

Comment by narciso (3fec35) — 2/9/2013 @ 6:36 pm

51. Bush on Saddam Capture
    05: You, your
    11: We, us, our
    500: Total words

Obama on Osama Kill
    03: You, your
    92: We, us, our
    1387: Total words

Comment by Joseph D (ece5cb) — 2/9/2013 @ 6:39 pm

52. Is this what you were thinking about, JD, or maybe this?

Comment by DRJ (a83b8b) — 2/9/2013 @ 6:40 pm

53. Those are not, DRJ, and I would question whether using the text of the weekly radio address is an honest metric. Same basic message though. Interesting links.

Comment by JD (5a02de) — 2/9/2013 @ 6:50 pm

54. for kirsten powers to slander Dr. Carson as an uppity negro is racist I think

she should at least say she’s sorry

it’s unacceptable and we should all unaccept it to where she gains a more better understanding of what Mr. Dr. Carson was saying

Comment by happyfeet (323d6f) — 2/9/2013 @ 9:25 pm

55. You’re truly a good webmaster. The web site loading pace is amazing. It seems that you are doing any unique trick. Furthermore, The contents are masterwork. you have done a magnificent activity on this topic!

Comment by ObamaCare Debt (cb4ca7) — 2/11/2013 @ 12:12 am