1/7/2013

Monday Night Country Music

Filed under: General — Patterico @ 8:46 pm

Yeah, I don’t feel like talking about Chuck Hagel either. So let’s spin some tunes.

Don’t let the title of the post scare you. I’m not generally a fan of country music myself — just country rock. But these bands qualify for the latter title, even if they are classified in the former.

They’re two great bands from Austin, Texas (originally hailing from Idaho): Micky and the Motorcars and Reckless Kelly. Watch the clips and then I’ll clue you in on an interesting factoid.

First, Micky and the Motorcars:

And a subversive Reckless Kelly video about breaking out of jail:

I can’t help but close out with another Reckless Kelly tune, just because of all the shots of Austin:

The factoid: these are bands of brothers. You know how I said both bands are from Austin, but originally came from Idaho? That’s because there are four brothers in these two bands: Micky and Gary Braun from Micky and the Motorcars, and Willy and Cody Braun of Reckless Kelly.

Check out Micky and the Motorcars and Reckless Kelly at Amazon. I used some gift cards to go wild and bought 4 Reckless Kelly albums and 3 from Micky and the Motorcars.

What’s next? Boots?

1. I had boots as a kid.

Comment by Patterico (8b3905) — 1/7/2013 @ 8:46 pm

2. Good stuff.

Comment by Dustin (73fead) — 1/7/2013 @ 8:53 pm

3. Not bad, huh?

Hey, what’s the difference between a fact and a factoid?

Comment by Patterico (8b3905) — 1/7/2013 @ 9:00 pm

4. Factoids are plausible lies, presented matter-of-factly as if they were true, so that many people are taken in.

Comment by Milhouse (15b6fd) — 1/7/2013 @ 9:26 pm

5. Begging your pardon, but Mickey and the Motorcars are a Western band (as in “we have both kinds of music here, country and western”). They just haven’t saved up enough money yet to buy a pedal steel guitar.

Reckless Kelly has a mandolin player, so I am inclined to consider them Country, but one of the rhythm guitar players is wearing sunglasses. Without completely discounting the idea that he might be blind, I would consider them more Rockabilly-with-Mandolin, which is a genre that I just made up. Also, none of the band members wear hats. And do my eyes deceive me, or is that a minivan that dude is driving in the second video? Hank Williams just died all over again.

Comment by JVW (4826a9) — 1/7/2013 @ 10:57 pm

6. this should be a regular thing i think

country music mondays is something i could look forward to

Comment by happyfeet (ce327d) — 1/7/2013 @ 11:53 pm

7. i been listening to this across the miles and I thought it was an everybody is also listening thing but so far the los angeles people I been saying hi to, they haven’t heard it well they should’ve somebody has dropped the ball

Comment by happyfeet (ce327d) — 1/8/2013 @ 2:29 am

8. it sounds really good in snow but if you don’t have any snow you can just make pretend

Comment by happyfeet (ce327d) — 1/8/2013 @ 2:35 am

9. Austin has a way of attracting great bands. In the late 70′s I saw Stevie Rat Vaughn 20 times in a year, playing small clubs in Austin.
    As well as Gatesmouth Brown,Fabulous Thunderbirds, Delbert Mcclinton, and scores of others.

Comment by mg (31009b) — 1/8/2013 @ 3:33 am

10. There is a mandolin and fiddle player that tours wih Keith Urban from Ft Wayne. He is spectacular.

I am in a Kip Moore and Eric Church phase of country music.

Comment by JD (7782d6) — 1/8/2013 @ 5:38 am

11. The best country break-up song ever, by Reckless Kelly. Because of NSFW lyrics, released as a hidden track at end of a live CD.

Comment by joepc (235d99) — 1/8/2013 @ 9:51 am

12. Eric Church just doesn’t make a bad song except for that country music jesus one is just weird

too many bong hits come a sunday morning I think is where that one came from

Comment by happyfeet (ce327d) — 1/8/2013 @ 10:36 am

13. That is so funny you say that, because that is one of my favorite.

Comment by JD (5ed6bd) — 1/8/2013 @ 10:38 am

14. I hate when that happens… I like the up all night song a LOT by Mr. Moore and the hey purr girl song is really nicely done I think

but my favorites one right now on the new eric church is the homeboy song it makes me think of bh

Comment by happyfeet (ce327d) — 1/8/2013 @ 10:44 am

15. too many bong hits come a sunday morning I think is where that one came from

Of that there is no doubt.

Comment by JD (5ed6bd) — 1/8/2013 @ 10:47 am

16. i know everyone already knows she’s the next big thing but I love her more than pickles

i don’t think her cd has dropped yet I checked several walmarts already plus a hastings

Comment by happyfeet (ce327d) — 1/8/2013 @ 11:12 am

17. same hurt in every heart same trailer different park

Comment by happyfeet (ce327d) — 1/8/2013 @ 11:15 am

18. Dear Patterico,

The Braun brothers are great. For those of us long-time Tonight Show viewers, you might remember the appearance of the Braun brothers, along with their father Muzzie, back in 1993. Here is a link to the video on YouTube:

There is a Braun brothers reunion concert every summer in Challis, Idaho, which attracts some fairly high profile C&W acts. Here’s a link:

Yours truly,