12/13/2012

Clint the Hot Dog Guy: One of the People Who Cut Down the Tent Wore a Guy Fawkes Mask, and Called Me the “N Word”

Filed under: General — Patterico @ 7:29 pm

And an “Uncle Tom.”

Can you imagine how this would have been covered if Tea Party people had done this?

My point is not to argue that all union people behave like the thugs in Lansing. Obviously they don’t.

My point is to address those who claim Americans for Prosperity pulled down their own tent.

Is this guy a liar?

“That’s a lie.”

1. It’s a good thing nobody on the left is a racist.

Comment by Patterico (8b3905) — 12/13/2012 @ 7:31 pm

2. UPDATE: Look around 7:20 for discussion on whether AFP tore down their own tent.

“That’s a lie.”

Comment by Patterico (8b3905) — 12/13/2012 @ 7:36 pm

3. The ME of the Detroit DN, on the twitters, basically blamed Crowder, said he instigated entire event with questions meant to incite.

Comment by JD (9adec8) — 12/13/2012 @ 7:39 pm

4. Meanwhile, word is RG3 “isn’t black enough” because he wants to go along with that idea about being known by the “content of your character, not the color of his skin”. (Who was the racist that made up that phrase, anyway?)

Comment by MD in Philly (3d3f72) — 12/13/2012 @ 7:39 pm

5. I think it is a shame that Mr. Tarver decided to destroy his own hot dog cart once he found out he’d been duped into feeding the GOP haters.

Comment by steveg (64cdaf) — 12/13/2012 @ 7:48 pm

6. NO JUSTICE, NO PEACE!

Comment by daleyrocks (bf33e9) — 12/13/2012 @ 8:00 pm

7. MD – you don’t give Parker’s aggressive and invincible ignorance enough credit.

Comment by JD (9adec8) — 12/13/2012 @ 8:07 pm

8. Wow.

Comment by SarahW (b0e533) — 12/13/2012 @ 9:31 pm

9. If you wear braids, you’re a bruvah.

Comment by daleyrocks (bf33e9) — 12/13/2012 @ 9:37 pm

10. daleyrocks, maybe there does need to be a big loud protest over this!

A terrible incident, and indictment of unions, but the biggest, blackest shame is on the media for ignoring it completely.

Comment by Patricia (be0117) — 12/13/2012 @ 10:30 pm

11. #10 is racist… should be: biggest, whitest shame.
    Only white people should ever be shamed and ashamed.

Comment by steveg (64cdaf) — 12/13/2012 @ 10:38 pm

12. Patricia – I was referring to words the ESPN commentator said about the authenticity of a black quarterback’s blackness. Verbatim quote I believe.

The Clint Tarver story, the subject of the post, does need publicity as does the racial idiocy of the ESPN commentary.

Comment by daleyrocks (bf33e9) — 12/13/2012 @ 10:43 pm

13. No offense meant Patricia

I was playing around and didn’t put that well.

Sorry

Comment by steveg (64cdaf) — 12/13/2012 @ 11:28 pm

14. This is on Crowder’s twitter feed right now, posted 5 hours ago:

Steven Crowder ‏@scrowder
    Right now I have a former police officer, heavily armed at my house protecting my wife. The threats are severe. Prayers appreciated.

Comment by MayBee (085e06) — 12/14/2012 @ 1:40 am

15. When republicans show up in large numbers and show the support needed, Crowder might have a chance. Republicans fight fire with pails of sawdust.

Comment by mg (31009b) — 12/14/2012 @ 1:58 am

16. Patterico!

14.This is on Crowder’s twitter feed right now, posted 5 hours ago:

Steven Crowder ‏@scrowder

Comment by MayBee (085e06) — 12/14/2012 @ 1:40 am

A guy, running away from a fight, then asking for a fight, is now asking for prayers?

WTF?

Comment by nk (875f57) — 12/14/2012 @ 2:43 am

17. Get out of this s***, Patterico.

Comment by nk (875f57) — 12/14/2012 @ 2:44 am

18. The NYTs updates it’s story about Crowder and the union guy:

Update | Friday, 12:51 a.m.: As a reader of The Lede points out, more video of the incident, shot from another camera and broadcast on another Fox News program, The O’Reilly Factor, makes it clear that the unidentified union member who punched Mr. Crowder was knocked to the ground moments before he came up swinging. The same footage (about 1:34 into the segment) also shows that Mr. Crowder had his hand on that man’s shoulder just before he tumbled to the ground, but, while the camera does not capture the whole sequence of events, it seems likely that the man was knocked to the ground as members of the two sides pushed against one other, not shoved down by Mr. Crowder.

Comment by MayBee (085e06) — 12/14/2012 @ 2:44 am

19. And I would never eat anything Clint The Hot Dog Guy touched. And neither would you.

Comment by nk (875f57) — 12/14/2012 @ 2:47 am

20. Unwanted touch, on the public way, is felony battery.

Comment by nk (875f57) — 12/14/2012 @ 2:51 am

21. And I would never eat anything Clint The Hot Dog Guy touched. And neither would you.

Yes, I would. I don’t even want to think you are really saying what you are saying here, nk.

Comment by MayBee (085e06) — 12/14/2012 @ 2:57 am

22. MayBee,

I’m saying Crowder manufactured this. NOT SAFE. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY2TC4R2TbI

I’m saying that because this is Fox does not mean that they are on our side or honest.

Comment by nk (875f57) — 12/14/2012 @ 3:12 am

23. And the hot dog guy is obvious BS.

Comment by nk (875f57) — 12/14/2012 @ 3:15 am

24. Dear Mr. Tarver and RG3,

You better step to the left or we can make it hard.

Comment by scott (b8618e) — 12/14/2012 @ 4:03 am

25. I’m saying if you touch me, and I get knocked to the ground I get up and hit you.

Really? Your keyboard must cower under those forceful fingers of yours.

Comment by Amalgamated Cliff Divers, Local 157 (721840) — 12/14/2012 @ 4:11 am

26. Yesterday Ferrara noted that the ‘Speaker’ doesn’t have to be an elected member of the House or any office.

Today Noonan says the Thugs need to start talking and there’s this:

Who’s unoccupied and can speak for Clint and the rest of us stiffs?

Comment by gary gulrud (dd7d4e) — 12/14/2012 @ 5:12 am

27. I’m saying that this is a story that Patterico, an honest blogger with a very good site, is a story by a clown (Crowder), that Patterico should not have touched with a ten-foot pole.

There is no evidence that Crowder touched the thug. There is plenty of evidence the thug touched Crowder.

I would. To suggest he is lying flies in the face of the known evidence.

Comment by JD (9adec8) — 12/14/2012 @ 5:44 am

28. I’ve seen several people, even here, equate Crowder’s self control in the face, as it were, of personal violence with some sort of lack of manly virtue.

Get it right.

Comment by Pious Agnostic (7c3d5b) — 12/14/2012 @ 6:27 am

29. It’s absurd to believe a black guy who sells hotdogs for a living is going tho lie about how and by whom his cart was destroyed.

Comment by rumcrook (1d6084) — 12/14/2012 @ 7:22 am

30. It’s not very bright to think crowder wanted or did purposefully start a life threatening fist fight while surounded by a sea of union thugs.

I worked with teamsters in the early 80s. I was a laborer on a fence crew during the construction of I88 in New York. They had no compunction about ganging up on someone in a fight.

Comment by Amalgamated Cliff Divers, Local 157 (721840) — 12/14/2012 @ 7:30 am

31. I would be happy to eat that dude’s hot dogs. If I’m every so unfortunate as to be in that area, I will seek him out. I don’t see what Crowder’s jovial temperament has to do with the importance of this story.

Comment by Dustin (73fead) — 12/14/2012 @ 7:32 am

32. Well, now that Mr. Crowder and his wife have been threatened, nk will be advocating that she take on a few mostly peaceful teamsters herself.

Comment by Amalgamated Cliff Divers, Local 157 (721840) — 12/14/2012 @ 7:52 am

33. Oh that’s okay, Steve, I get it. We regularly denounce ourselves or others around here. Good for the soul. :)

Comment by Patricia (be0117) — 12/14/2012 @ 8:04 am

34. Shut up, nk.

Comment by Milhouse (15b6fd) — 12/14/2012 @ 8:09 am

35. Conservatives cannot suffer comedians in their midst?

Franken is a Senator, well from MN, so its half true.

Colbert is being vetted by Haley, missed the official State of SC amphibian tho, so he’s gotta hope the rest are pedophiles and serial killers.

Someone’s suffering from Darvocet withdrawal.

Comment by gary gulrud (dd7d4e) — 12/14/2012 @ 8:20 am

36. Self control, especially by someone with the training and capability of a fighter (like Crowder) is a manly virtue.

Get it right.

Comment by Pious Agnostic (7c3d5b) — 12/14/2012 @ 6:27 am

THIS

Comment by SarahW (b0e533) — 12/14/2012 @ 8:48 am

37. Wow, “nk” is bringing the thug-love today, isn’t he?

And the racism. Tarver must no longer be “authentic” or something.

Comment by Rob Crawford (c55962) — 12/14/2012 @ 8:53 am

38. Self control, especially by someone with the training and capability of a fighter (like Crowder) is a manly virtue.

This points to one reason I kinda-sorta understand Crowder’s “challenge”. The thug attacked Crowder in a time and place where Crowder could not defend himself without risking greater danger. Crowder’s challenge is for the thug to meet him in a time and place where Crowder’s allowed to defend himself, where the thug doesn’t have a couple dozen buddies at hand.

It takes the wind out of the thug’s machismo, to mix some metaphors. It makes it clear the guy wouldn’t have gotten violent if the odds weren’t 20+-1 in his favor.

Comment by Rob Crawford (c55962) — 12/14/2012 @ 8:56 am

39. said he instigated entire event with questions meant to incite.

So when Charlie Sheen gets annoyed by a papparazzi getting in his face, and punches him, that’s just fine, as long as he’s in Detroit?

I’m sure Charlie will appreciate that knowledge.

LOLOLOLOL…

Comment by Smock Puppet, 10th Dan Snark Master and Gravitationally Distorting Object (8e2a3d) — 12/14/2012 @ 9:07 am

40. Republicans fight fire with pails of sawdust.

THIS kind of fire needs shotguns filled with rock salt.

We got that kind of remedy, too.

Comment by Smock Puppet, 10th Dan Snark Master and Gravitationally Distorting Object (8e2a3d) — 12/14/2012 @ 9:10 am

41. Unwanted touch, on the public way, is felony battery.

Anyone else besides me remember when “Don’t make a felony case out of it” meant something?

Patterico, how long has it been, do you think?

More critically, you’re assuming the contact was intentional, which I’m sure is required by the laws. I haven’t seen the video but there’s a clear suggestion there was jostling going on.

Comment by Smock Puppet, 10th Dan Snark Master and Gravitationally Distorting Object (8e2a3d) — 12/14/2012 @ 9:14 am

42. I’ve seen several people, even here, equate Crowder’s self control in the face, as it were, of personal violence with some sort of lack of manly virtue.

Get it right.

Indeed. More critically, there are times when it’s called for as a Christian.

“Turn The Other Cheek”, anyone?

Was Jesus just a wimp?

S’funny. I saw a movie a long time ago with an interesting line:

“You measure power by the blows you can give. *I* measure power by the blows you can take.”

It’s correct. There are two kinds of power. And most people only grasp the one.

Comment by Smock Puppet, 10th Dan Snark Master and Gravitationally Distorting Object (8e2a3d) — 12/14/2012 @ 9:19 am

43. It’s not very bright to think Crowder wanted or did purposefully start a life threatening fist fight while surrounded by a sea of union thugs.

Well, these people ARE Democrats for a reason, hhhmmm?

Critical thinking skills are not their forte…

Comment by Smock Puppet, 10th Dan Snark Master and Gravitationally Distorting Object (8e2a3d) — 12/14/2012 @ 9:22 am

44. Maybe the thug who punched Crowder fell down, but maybe he was just pretending to fall down, so he could deceive naive people into thinking Crowder had pushed him down and deserved to be punched. I hope if Crowder sues him, any e-mails the union sent around before and after the incident are included in discovery. I would not be surprised if the fall was planned.

Why am I so cynical? It’s been a long time since I dealt with a striking union, but I still recall the official from the Chicago janitors’ union who threw himself under a parked truck and claimed he’d been run over. In fact, the truck was stationary and had the emergency brake on, the driver (me) was standing next to it with the keys in his pocket, and the “run-over” guy was just fine 10 minutes later.

The apartment complex I lived in in 1976-77 had fired their union janitor for being a drunk who had repeatedly tried to molest female residents. When they realized that they could get all the same work done more competently and for free by providing a basement apartment to a grad student couple at the nearby U. Chicago, they decided there was no reason to pay $18 an hour for 30 hours a week (I think those were the numbers) plus a large free apartment for another useless union thug. The garbage collectors wouldn’t cross a picket line to pick up our trash, so we got a U-Haul to haul it away ourselves. (Union picketers had been slashing the trash bags open with knives and throwing chicken bones on the pile to attract rats.) That’s when the union lying thug pulled his little “Help! I’ve been run over” acting bit.

By the way, many Hyde Park residents sympathized with the janitors because of another trick they used. They couldn’t be bothered to picket in person, except once when they came to sing their (really stupid) union fight song for an hour and then went home. That’s when we learned that they were more than 80% white (in Chicago!) and 90% fat and middle-aged. The pickets they hired for minimum wage or less were 100% black teenagers, whom many foolish locals thought were the actual janitors, not realizing that they (the janitors) were too lazy (and too flush with cash) to bother to show up for their own strike. I hate big-city unions.

Comment by Dr. Weevil (e6a2e2) — 12/14/2012 @ 9:38 am

45. “Unwanted touch, on the public way, is felony battery.”

You need to look at the video again, nk.

The guy that started swinging, and a guy in a red hard hat were advancing on, cursing at, AND making physical contact with Crowder and another man, who were withdrawing, before Mr. fisticuffs lost his footing, and came up swinging.

They were the ones that were engaging in harassment, battery, etc.

In addition, the video shows that they were doing that WHILE their pals were tearing up the AFP tent (clearly visible in the background).

It’s all right in the video. You just have to open your eyes and watch it.

And, there’s pretty much no question about who is in the wrong here.

Comment by Dave Surls (46b08c) — 12/14/2012 @ 9:42 am

46. Amazing story, Dr. Weevil!

Comment by Pious Agnostic (7c3d5b) — 12/14/2012 @ 9:43 am

47. More critically, you’re assuming the contact was intentional, which I’m sure is required by the laws

He’s also assuming it wasn’t justified, e.g. because he was preventing the thug from committing a felony.

Comment by Milhouse (15b6fd) — 12/14/2012 @ 11:23 am

48. From someone on my facebook:

NECN reports, 27 killed, three injured and in the hospital. Which means 30 people shot, and only three of those surviving.

That’s unusual, to have so many dead and so few survivors. Looks like the killer’s choice of ammunition was quite effective.

But, hey, no injuries to bystanders!

Any suggestions on a response?

Comment by Milhouse (15b6fd) — 12/14/2012 @ 11:40 am

49. Here’s a response I posted, looking for any improvement:

Your question was ” I’m sure there’s an absolutely legitimate sports/self-defense use for that kind of ammo, right?” The answer is yes, there is. Do you want defenders using bullets that are more likely to hurt bystanders, or ones that are less? Obviously bullets that are more effective at self-defense are also going to be more effective at crime.

Here’s another question for you: is it better to have sharp kitchen knives or dull ones? Which is safer? If you cut yourself, obviously you’d rather the knife be dull. But with which knife are you more likely to cut yourself in the first place?

Comment by Milhouse (15b6fd) — 12/14/2012 @ 11:48 am

50. 48. 20-year old NJ son of one of the teachers using a .223 semi-auto.

Feels like an entitled kid was told ‘No’ in too strong a terms.

Comment by gary gulrud (dd7d4e) — 12/14/2012 @ 11:51 am

51. When I said “unwanted touch on the public way is a felony”, I was making a comment on the law. It works both ways. Crowder is the victim of a felony. Maybe the perp can claim self-defense and although the defendant’s propensity for violence cannot be put into evidence, mostly, the “victim’s” can.

The way Crowder is making a circus out of this is what really knots my panties.

Comment by nk (875f57) — 12/14/2012 @ 12:02 pm

52. 49. Shooter, Ryan Lanza, offed Mom before going to the school via Gateway.

Comment by gary gulrud (dd7d4e) — 12/14/2012 @ 12:04 pm

53. The .223 is a wonderful cartridge and the Army has worked hard to find the right twist for it in a sixteen-inch barrel.

But the right answer to why you want such a gun is “f*** ***, because I can”.

Comment by nk (875f57) — 12/14/2012 @ 12:06 pm

54. The .243 used to be the long-range varminter, but it seems these days the .223 in those evil black guns has far outrun it.

Comment by nk (875f57) — 12/14/2012 @ 12:09 pm

55. Via Drudge, second person apprehended was younger brother. Couple guns, Glock and Bushmaster.

Comment by gary gulrud (dd7d4e) — 12/14/2012 @ 12:18 pm

56. gg–per ABC news the mom (a teacher) was killed in the school along with most of her class of kids. They also say a body was found at shooter’s house but does not identify the victim. As always there’s a lot of conflicting info out already.

Comment by elissa (d0c7e2) — 12/14/2012 @ 12:23 pm

57. 56. The father is reported dead back in NJ. Mother dead in her home, I read the ABC account but I think it just lacked an editor.

Comment by gary gulrud (dd7d4e) — 12/14/2012 @ 12:29 pm

58. “The way Crowder is making a circus out of this is what really knots my panties.”

nk – The way the left is denying anything untoward happened is what really grinds my gizzard, just like they refused to cover the violence and property destruction of the Occupy Movement and Madison, Wisconsin protests.

Are you wearing your Spartan battle helmet while you type your comments?

Comment by daleyrocks (bf33e9) — 12/14/2012 @ 12:37 pm

59. Memories – Attempting to interview somebody on a public way justifies putting the interviewer in a choke hold.

Comment by daleyrocks (bf33e9) — 12/14/2012 @ 1:08 pm

60. Since the Democrat Racist Media Industrial Complex is attempting to bury the Lansing incident, any actions Crowder takes after the fact which draw attention to it are a good thing.

Comment by daleyrocks (bf33e9) — 12/14/2012 @ 1:11 pm

61. Mother is dead by all reports, but conflicting stories on whether found at her home or killed at school.

Comment by MD in Philly (3d3f72) — 12/14/2012 @ 1:16 pm

62. The correct designation, according to historians, is Corinthian.

Comment by nk (875f57) — 12/14/2012 @ 1:18 pm

63. nk, blaming the victim is a new act for you.

Comment by SPQR (768505) — 12/14/2012 @ 1:23 pm

64. 59.Memories – Attempting to interview somebody on a public way justifies putting the interviewer in a choke hold.

Comment by daleyrocks (bf33e9) — 12/14/2012 @ 1:08 pm

I remember. Don’t want to make the circle.

You may wish to consider what makes you a “victim”
    the way you first react to somebody who approaches you on the street, though.

And Crowder would get his *** kicked. A gym fighter is no match for a barfighter.

Comment by nk (875f57) — 12/14/2012 @ 1:25 pm

65. nk, and a fat union goon is no match for any one.

Comment by SPQR (768505) — 12/14/2012 @ 1:26 pm

66. “The correct designation, according to historians, is Corinthian.”

nk – That would depend on which historian you are reviewing.

Comment by daleyrocks (bf33e9) — 12/14/2012 @ 1:27 pm

67. I am blaming Crowder for being a crybaby, I guess, SPQR.

What was that thing? “It’s not how you hit, it’s how you take the hits?”

Anyway, this is the way Crowder earns his living, with words and pictures, so that’s ok. He got (minimally) hurt and he got mileage.

Comment by nk (875f57) — 12/14/2012 @ 1:33 pm

68. “I remember. Don’t want to make the circle.”

nk – You may not wish to make it, but that is the circle you are essentially completing by calling putting your hand on someone else on a public way felony assault.

Your beliefs are beyond bizarre.

Comment by daleyrocks (bf33e9) — 12/14/2012 @ 1:33 pm

69. “nk, and a fat union goon is no match for any one.”

SPQR – Please, no union stereotypes lest they offend nk. Not all union members are fat.

Comment by daleyrocks (bf33e9) — 12/14/2012 @ 1:36 pm

70. Perhaps the world IS going to end a week from today . . .
    CAIRO (AP) – Egyptian Islamists brandishing SWORDS clashed with opponents of a draft constitution Friday in the Mediterranean city of Alexandria as tensions rose on the eve of a referendum on the sharply disputed charter that has plunged the country into weeks of turmoil. At least 19 people were reported injured in the violence in Alexandria, which broke out after an ultraconservative cleric urged worshippers to vote “yes” and described the opposition as “followers of infidels.”

Comment by Icy (e74af9) — 12/14/2012 @ 1:47 pm

71. By your own prior words, if Crowder was attempting to interview people in Lansing they would have been justified in assaulting him in a felonious manner.

Your beliefs are beyond bizarre.

Comment by daleyrocks (bf33e9) — 12/14/2012 @ 1:33 pm

Please cut and paste my those words and beliefs.

(And Google Corinthian helmet.)

Comment by nk (875f57) — 12/14/2012 @ 1:48 pm

72. Can’t you make him prove he heard that word? When it’s Andre Carson and John Lewis, your BFF offered 10,000. Offer the 10 grand for one of the AFP to prove it

Comment by Denmark Vesey (449046) — 12/14/2012 @ 1:53 pm

73. “Please cut and paste my those words and beliefs.

(And Google Corinthian helmet.)”

nk – You claimed you remembered the discussion above in comment #64 and did not want to make the circle. You have not claimed I misrepresented anything, so I’m not going to go looking through the archives.

I googled Spartan Battle Helmets yesterday and feel no additional obligation to google Corinthian helmets today, thanks.

Comment by daleyrocks (bf33e9) — 12/14/2012 @ 6:42 pm