11/11/2012

Patterico to Talk SWATting on Los Angeles Radio

Filed under: General — Patterico @ 5:55 pm

Tomorrow morning on KABC in Los Angeles, at 6:53 a.m., with Doug McIntyre and John Phillips.

Get up early on a holiday and tune in!

1. Ding.

Comment by Patterico (8b3905) — 11/11/2012 @ 5:56 pm

2. Oh, here there is a special,appearance by Jay Leiderman:

Comment by Sarahw (b0e533) — 11/11/2012 @ 6:11 pm

3. I feel that monitored Internet access for six years is a bit on the hefty side. It could sideline his whole lifeā€“his career path, his art, his skills.

How about we let this be a golden opportunity for a young man to assume responsibility for his actions, which may include admitting and owning that he himself has sidelined his career path, his art, his skills…for at least 6 years. One would think a grown-up would encourage this.

Comment by Dana (292dcf) — 11/11/2012 @ 6:21 pm

4. The wired commentariat seem to have his number.

Comment by Sarahw (b0e533) — 11/11/2012 @ 6:38 pm

5. 6:53 California time is get out of the house not early for me. ;)

Comment by nk (875f57) — 11/11/2012 @ 6:49 pm

6. Holiday?
    The Armistice went into affect at the 11th Hour, of the 11th Day, of the 11th Month; not the 12th Day.
    Some of us, even Veterans, have to work in the tax-producing sector so that the tax-spending sector can have a day off.

Comment by askeptic (2bb434) — 11/11/2012 @ 8:38 pm

7. Don’t worry. This government worker will be working. I’ll just be doing so at home. I have to prepare for trials that are coming up. Ironically, I’m more productive here, because I don’t have to commute, which takes time.

Comment by Patterico (8b3905) — 11/11/2012 @ 9:37 pm

8. Best of luck.

Comment by mg (31009b) — 11/11/2012 @ 10:57 pm

9. It’s four in the morning here and I’m up. Force of habit. I’m in Chicago. Is there a podcast/simulcast for KABC radio that I can get on the laptop?

Comment by nk (875f57) — 11/12/2012 @ 2:08 am

10. nk, google is your friend.

Just google KABC and it will bring you to thier site and you can listen from there. Wanna join me at 81st & Morgan this am? That is where I will be!!!

Hey all you vets—Thank You For Your Service To Our Country!!!!!!!

Comment by Ipso Fatso (1e3278) — 11/12/2012 @ 2:43 am

11. Thank you, Ipso. And sorry, limited driving for me. I’m at Addison and Pulaski, these days, kind of far from 81st and Morgan, and I don’t trust myself with highway driving.

Comment by nk (875f57) — 11/12/2012 @ 3:14 am

12. nk, there’s a place called Brudder’s that was there. I think that was it’s name. I had to do a merchant cite verification once there and the girl behind the bar was very pretty. Also I was just kidding about 81st & Morgan. I have a HUD inspection to do there. The last time I was there someone had just broken in…it a great world. Today I get to see what damage was done.

Comment by Ipso Fatso (1e3278) — 11/12/2012 @ 3:28 am

13. Google KABC and click on Listen Live. It works great. Pattrico is talking now.

Comment by ropelight (4cd8b1) — 11/12/2012 @ 6:57 am

14. All done. Think it went OK.

Comment by Patterico (8b3905) — 11/12/2012 @ 7:00 am

15. Good interview and informative, especially to those listeners not aware of pollitical swattings.

Still waiting for the LAT to catch up on reporting about this.

Comment by Dana (292dcf) — 11/12/2012 @ 7:03 am

16. John Phillips is a good guy. I like McIntyre as well.

Comment by Patterico (8b3905) — 11/12/2012 @ 7:04 am

17. Still waiting for the LAT to catch up on reporting about this.

I have a strange feeling that they will, Dana.

Comment by Patterico (8b3905) — 11/12/2012 @ 7:05 am

18. Perhaps. I began emailing the editors about this last year, repeatedly. And only received one rather condescending email in return, however noting that he would send it along to the local news desk. They weren’t particularly interested in breaking a serious, local story. But hey, if you won’t lead, at the very least, follow…

Comment by Dana (292dcf) — 11/12/2012 @ 7:17 am

19. With the celeb attempted swattings, all in their town, it’s a story now, and it’s theirs.

Comment by Patterico (16abad) — 11/12/2012 @ 7:24 am

20. That was a pretty good interview. Don’t usually listen to KABC in the morning, but that was really neat listening to someone I “know” on the radio.

Comment by MunDane (861704) — 11/12/2012 @ 7:29 am

21. Ipso, Brudder’s is still there and Mudder’s (their kitchen annex) serves the best bar food. The new management is fine, and it’s a fine clean place. I take my ten-year old there. She plays pool, I drink a coke at the bar, while waiting for our take-out. And the bartenders/waitresses are still very pretty, as are the new batch of customers.

Comment by nk (875f57) — 11/12/2012 @ 7:33 am

22. Why do I picture you as Raymond Burr when I hear you, Patterico?

Comment by nk (875f57) — 11/12/2012 @ 7:45 am

23. Why do I picture you as Raymond Burr when I hear you, Patterico?

I always wanted to be Perry Mason as a kid. That was my favorite show.

You might say: but you’re a prosecutor and he was a defense lawyer! And Hamilton Burger, the D.A., was a clown!

Well, sure. But if you think about it, Perry Mason did what I try to do. Find the real murderer and put him away.

Comment by Patterico (8b3905) — 11/12/2012 @ 7:56 am

24. Hey, it wasn’t easy to be Hamilton Burger. Like the Kentucky Colonels it is more work making the other guy look good.

Comment by SPQR (768505) — 11/12/2012 @ 7:59 am

25. Heh, I always felt sorry for D.A. Burger. Who could have seen that cross-examination coming!

Comment by SarahW (b0e533) — 11/12/2012 @ 8:05 am

26. Me too. My voice is thinner than yours, but I learned to speak standing up, or sitting up staight, from the diaphragm, for more resonance.

I disagree with you about Hamilton Burger, but we can talk about it some other time. (I came to respecting prosecutors more than public defenders at an early age.)

Comment by nk (875f57) — 11/12/2012 @ 8:06 am

27. Lileks used to do this thing with a skeptical Perry Head, deployed as .jpg for the implausible nice try.

Comment by SarahW (b0e533) — 11/12/2012 @ 8:06 am

28. BTW, Erle Stanley Gardner wrote good detective-lawyer stories other than Perry Mason, but they’re hard to find these days. I have one in a collection, “Hard Boiled Detective”.

Comment by nk (875f57) — 11/12/2012 @ 8:15 am

29. “The chastening stare of the Perry Head” (.jpg)

Comment by SarahW (b0e533) — 11/12/2012 @ 8:15 am

30. I invented a sidekick for Perry Head called “Burr-dog”

Comment by SarahW (b0e533) — 11/12/2012 @ 8:18 am

31. Cook County tends to move its prosecutors around or up, including the felony teams, so I never developed a relationship with one, the way Mason did with Burger. I was known, though, with [Northwest Side] detectives, and I would get a telephone call to bring a client in on account of a warrant, in place of arrest, some like the way Mason and Tragg interacted.

Comment by nk (875f57) — 11/12/2012 @ 9:04 am